Flash opening source? - OS2

This is a discussion on Flash opening source? - OS2 ; maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment about possible OS/2 development? http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=571 http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...sh-on-devices/...

  1. Flash opening source?

    maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    about possible OS/2 development?

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=571

    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...sh-on-devices/

  2. Re: Flash opening source?

    Sir:

    rafe wrote:
    > maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    > about possible OS/2 development?
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=571
    >
    > http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...sh-on-devices/

    If you want opinion, I got that. This announcement helps the open
    source players that try to play flash content. But it does nothing to
    help port the real deal over to a plugin for Mozilla stuff. As the HTML
    5 specification includes the requirement to be able to play audio and
    video content in the browser, does flash remain a requirement for web
    development? Speaking of which, what is the plan to get this HTML 5
    requirement done for OS/2? I'd say that it would be best to port some
    codexes into OS/2 MMOS2, instead of porting (adding) something like
    VideoLAN player into Mozilla. I say this as it would be simpler to port
    just the codexes and use the existing MMIO interface from Mozilla, than
    porting the entire VideoLAN player, which includes all of the above.
    PS. I pick upon VideoLAN player as it seems to be the most complete open
    source player available, knowing that importing Windows codexes is out
    of the question.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Flash opening source?

    On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:

    > maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    > about possible OS/2 development?

    I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    browser plugin can be written.

  4. Re: Flash opening source?

    Hi Steve,

    On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:26:50 UTC, Steve Wendt
    wrote:

    > On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:
    >
    > > maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    > > about possible OS/2 development?

    > I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    > browser plugin can be written.

    This is definitely on the todo list still - just not moving rapidly up
    it
    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  5. Re: Flash opening source?

    On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:02:50 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    wrote:

    -> Hi Steve,
    ->
    -> On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:26:50 UTC, Steve Wendt
    -> wrote:
    ->
    -> > On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:
    -> >
    -> > > maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    -> > > about possible OS/2 development?
    -> >
    -> > I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    -> > browser plugin can be written.
    ->
    -> This is definitely on the todo list still - just not moving rapidly up
    -> it

    Will the open sourcing of Flash allow Gnash to be updated to a more
    current version of Flash support?

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  6. Re: Flash opening source?

    Hi Steve

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:
    >
    >> maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    >> about possible OS/2 development?

    > I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    > browser plugin can be written.

    No disrespect meant to Paul - I appreciate his porting efforts - but I
    was wondering about mplayer and if this could make the mplayer plugin
    "swf/flv capable".

    Regards

    Pete

  7. Re: Flash opening source?

    On 05/08/08 07:02 am, Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Steve
    >
    > Steve Wendt wrote:
    >> On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:
    >>
    >>> maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    >>> about possible OS/2 development?

    >> I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    >> browser plugin can be written.

    > No disrespect meant to Paul - I appreciate his porting efforts - but I
    > was wondering about mplayer and if this could make the mplayer plugin
    > "swf/flv capable".

    MPlayer can play most flash videos. The problem is the interactive flash
    content, eg where you have menus that you need to click.
    Dave

  8. Re: Flash opening source?

    Hi Mark,

    On Thu, 8 May 2008 13:32:50 UTC, "Mark Dodel"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:02:50 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Hi Steve,
    > ->
    > -> On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:26:50 UTC, Steve Wendt
    > -> wrote:
    > ->
    > -> > On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:
    > -> >
    > -> > > maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    > -> > > about possible OS/2 development?
    > -> >
    > -> > I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    > -> > browser plugin can be written.
    > ->
    > -> This is definitely on the todo list still - just not moving rapidly up
    > -> it
    >
    > Will the open sourcing of Flash allow Gnash to be updated to a more
    > current version of Flash support?

    I think the comments on the Gnash ML were that it should make some
    things easier...

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  9. Re: Flash opening source?

    Hi Guys,

    On Thu, 8 May 2008 14:20:06 UTC, Dave Yeo
    wrote:

    > On 05/08/08 07:02 am, Peter Brown wrote:
    > > Hi Steve
    > >
    > > Steve Wendt wrote:

    > >> I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    > >> browser plugin can be written.

    > > No disrespect meant to Paul - I appreciate his porting efforts - but I
    > > was wondering about mplayer and if this could make the mplayer plugin
    > > "swf/flv capable".
    > >

    > MPlayer can play most flash videos. The problem is the interactive flash
    > content, eg where you have menus that you need to click.

    This is no surprise - mplayer uses ffmpeg to play flv (aka flash
    video) content - gnash also uses ffmpeg to play flv

    I actually have KO's source code for npmp - trying to make it work
    with gnash today as I have the day off - just depends how distracted I
    get on other things today oh and I'm supposed to be doing some jobs
    around the house!! :P

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  10. Re: Flash opening source?

    Sir:

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:02:50 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Hi Steve,
    > ->
    > -> On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:26:50 UTC, Steve Wendt
    > -> wrote:
    > ->
    > -> > On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:
    > -> >
    > -> > > maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff can comment
    > -> > > about possible OS/2 development?
    > -> >
    > -> > I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet. Hopefully a
    > -> > browser plugin can be written.
    > ->
    > -> This is definitely on the todo list still - just not moving rapidly up
    > -> it
    >
    > Will the open sourcing of Flash allow Gnash to be updated to a more
    > current version of Flash support?
    >
    > Mark

    I think you need to look over this again as the only stuff opened was
    the specification of the file format and the API of the porting layers,
    not the player and its internals. Those codexes are all under Adobe
    licenses. That requirement was not waved.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  11. Re: Flash opening source?

    On 05/08/08 07:47 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Mark Dodel wrote:
    >> On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:02:50 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> -> Hi Steve,
    >> -> -> On Thu, 8 May 2008 03:26:50 UTC, Steve Wendt
    >> -> wrote:
    >> -> -> > On 05/07/08 08:03 am, rafe wrote:
    >> -> > -> > > maybe someone who knows more than I do about this stuff
    >> can comment
    >> -> > > about possible OS/2 development?
    >> -> > -> > I think Paul Smedley's port of Gnash is our best bet.
    >> Hopefully a -> > browser plugin can be written.
    >> -> -> This is definitely on the todo list still - just not moving
    >> rapidly up
    >> -> it
    >>
    >> Will the open sourcing of Flash allow Gnash to be updated to a more
    >> current version of Flash support?
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    > I think you need to look over this again as the only stuff opened was
    > the specification of the file format and the API of the porting layers,
    > not the player and its internals. Those codexes are all under Adobe
    > licenses. That requirement was not waved.

    Actually I think in a lot of cases Flash is just the container and the
    codecs are owned by various other groups. eg Flash 9 can contain H.264
    video.
    Dave

  12. Re: Flash opening source?

    On Thu, 8 May 2008 23:08:48 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > On Thu, 8 May 2008 14:20:06 UTC, Dave Yeo
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On 05/08/08 07:02 am, Peter Brown wrote:
    > > > Hi Steve

    > > > No disrespect meant to Paul - I appreciate his porting efforts - but I
    > > > was wondering about mplayer and if this could make the mplayer plugin
    > > > "swf/flv capable".
    > > >

    > > MPlayer can play most flash videos. The problem is the interactive flash
    > > content, eg where you have menus that you need to click.

    > This is no surprise - mplayer uses ffmpeg to play flv (aka flash
    > video) content - gnash also uses ffmpeg to play flv

    To clarify, I think the swf/flv comment above was about the "improved"
    BBC news website where they insist on wrapping flv inside swf. Mplayer
    can't play these.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  13. Re: Flash opening source?

    On 05/09/08 07:10 am, Dave Saville wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 May 2008 23:08:48 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> On Thu, 8 May 2008 14:20:06 UTC, Dave Yeo
    >> wrote:

    >>> MPlayer can play most flash videos. The problem is the interactive flash
    >>> content, eg where you have menus that you need to click.

    >> This is no surprise - mplayer uses ffmpeg to play flv (aka flash
    >> video) content - gnash also uses ffmpeg to play flv
    >>

    > To clarify, I think the swf/flv comment above was about the "improved"
    > BBC news website where they insist on wrapping flv inside swf. Mplayer
    > can't play these.

    Do you mean swf files with the first 3 bytes of CWS ? These are just
    compressed files and there is a program in FFmpeg/tools (cws2fws.c)
    which will decompress these.
    It needs to be patched with O_BINARY and there is something else wrong
    as it complains about length but does work (at least in my limited
    testing). Perhaps Paul could post a compiled version on his website or
    I'll find time to upload a version to Hobbes.
    Dave

  14. Re: Flash opening source?

    On Fri, 9 May 2008 14:26:33 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > Do you mean swf files with the first 3 bytes of CWS ? These are just
    > compressed files and there is a program in FFmpeg/tools (cws2fws.c)
    > which will decompress these.

    These are flash players, video player or mp3 player or just flash
    animation. Example of Flash mp3 player:
    http://essiwuorela.net/jukebox/jukebox.swf . It contains URLs to five
    mp3 tracks. You can play them with PM123 as well, if you know direct
    URLs. Gnash VIO window show them i.e.
    http://essiwuorela.net/jukebox/sound1.mp3

    --
    Hessu
    Feel free to correct my English :-)

  15. Re: Flash opening source?

    On 05/09/08 11:53 pm, Heikki Kekki wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 May 2008 14:26:33 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
    >
    >> Do you mean swf files with the first 3 bytes of CWS ? These are just
    >> compressed files and there is a program in FFmpeg/tools (cws2fws.c)
    >> which will decompress these.

    > These are flash players, video player or mp3 player or just flash
    > animation. Example of Flash mp3 player:
    > http://essiwuorela.net/jukebox/jukebox.swf . It contains URLs to five
    > mp3 tracks. You can play them with PM123 as well, if you know direct
    > URLs. Gnash VIO window show them i.e.
    > http://essiwuorela.net/jukebox/sound1.mp3

    Ok, probably why I still haven't got the BBC one to play. Unluckily
    Flash seems to have broke here so it is hard to tell exactly what is
    supposed to happen. With the BBC flv FFmpeg just reports unknown codec
    (after uncompressing). I guess these will need Gnash for the action
    script support.
    Dave

  16. Re: Flash opening source?

    Sir:

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 05/08/08 07:47 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:

    >> I think you need to look over this again as the only stuff opened was
    >> the specification of the file format and the API of the porting layers,
    >> not the player and its internals. Those codexes are all under Adobe
    >> licenses. That requirement was not waved.
    >>

    > Actually I think in a lot of cases Flash is just the container and the
    > codecs are owned by various other groups. eg Flash 9 can contain H.264
    > video.
    > Dave

    I don't know if you
    could name any codecs owned by others that does what this Flash does? I
    won't argue against the container ideal, but I do say that it contains
    original code that you won't find elsewhere: both this new version and
    most of the past versions (and the most annoying code snippet is the
    version test).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!