WarpIn can't read database. Can it be fixed? - OS2

This is a discussion on WarpIn can't read database. Can it be fixed? - OS2 ; For some reason, I can't use/start WarpIN any more. The message I get is: ================================= WarpIN was unable to open the Global Database at E:\WARPIN \DATBAS_C.INI Error 0x00041112 ================================= The file exists and I can open the file in a ...

  1. WarpIn can't read database. Can it be fixed?

    =================================
    WarpIN was unable to open the Global Database at E:\WARPIN
    \DATBAS_C.INI
    Error 0x00041112
    =================================

    The file exists and I can open the file in a text editor or something
    else, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    What is most annoying is that I can't just delete that file and carry
    on because some WarpIN archives check the WarpIN database to see if
    some dependencies are installed and won't let me continue otherwise!
    Grrrrrr....! So, in order to carry on, I might have to re-install a
    lot of things, which would be very painful given how much software
    I've got installed right now.

    Anyway to recover the database or figure out what is wrong with this
    thing?

    (BTW, I've never really had any problems with WarpIn until 1.0.17. It
    never started off on the right foot, the executable wouldn't install
    for some reason, could never figure out why. I ended up finding the
    ZIP archive of 1.0.17 and for some reason the executable in there did
    work. And now this pops up...)

    Thanks,
    Isaac

  2. Re: WarpIn can't read database. Can it be fixed?

    Hi Isaac

    AFrog wrote:
    > For some reason, I can't use/start WarpIN any more. The message I get
    > is:
    > =================================
    > WarpIN was unable to open the Global Database at E:\WARPIN
    > \DATBAS_C.INI
    > Error 0x00041112
    > =================================
    >
    > The file exists and I can open the file in a text editor or something
    > else, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

    I've had that happen in the past and saved the munged file to a new
    filename for further inspection at a later date.

    At the time I simply replaced the non-working ini file with a recent
    backup - I had not installed anything using Warpin since that backup.

    Funnily, when it cropped up an a ng discussion I retested that "munged"
    ini file and found it could be opened by Warpin...

    I have no idea why I got the "Warpin is unable..." message as at a later
    date that ini file could be used by Warpin.

    Maybe my system was having some sort of not obvious problem that caused
    the Warpin problem...

    > What is most annoying is that I can't just delete that file and carry
    > on because some WarpIN archives check the WarpIN database to see if
    > some dependencies are installed and won't let me continue otherwise!
    > Grrrrrr....! So, in order to carry on, I might have to re-install a
    > lot of things, which would be very painful given how much software
    > I've got installed right now.
    >
    > Anyway to recover the database or figure out what is wrong with this
    > thing?

    Can it be opened using INI Editor? - from the INI Tools package
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/...initool110.zip

    If "No" I would guess that the file has somehow become corrupt; If "Yes"
    try rebooting and see if that helps - could be some sort of WPS problem
    that a reboot might clear.

    Regards

    Pete

    > (BTW, I've never really had any problems with WarpIn until 1.0.17. It
    > never started off on the right foot, the executable wouldn't install
    > for some reason, could never figure out why. I ended up finding the
    > ZIP archive of 1.0.17 and for some reason the executable in there did
    > work. And now this pops up...)
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Isaac

  3. Re: WarpIn can't read database. Can it be fixed?

    Sir:

    AFrog wrote:
    > For some reason, I can't use/start WarpIN any more. The message I get
    > is:
    > =================================
    > WarpIN was unable to open the Global Database at E:\WARPIN
    > \DATBAS_C.INI
    > Error 0x00041112
    > =================================
    >
    > The file exists and I can open the file in a text editor or something
    > else, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    > What is most annoying is that I can't just delete that file and carry
    > on because some WarpIN archives check the WarpIN database to see if
    > some dependencies are installed and won't let me continue otherwise!
    > Grrrrrr....! So, in order to carry on, I might have to re-install a
    > lot of things, which would be very painful given how much software
    > I've got installed right now.
    >
    > Anyway to recover the database or figure out what is wrong with this
    > thing?
    >

    > (BTW, I've never really had any problems with WarpIn until 1.0.17. It
    > never started off on the right foot, the executable wouldn't install
    > for some reason, could never figure out why. I ended up finding the
    > ZIP archive of 1.0.17 and for some reason the executable in there did
    > work. And now this pops up...)

    I think you may have a shared memory problem. Try rebooting and then
    try Warpin. I have this problem from time to time and Warpin works
    after first boot.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: WarpIn can't read database. Can it be fixed?

    AFrog wrote:
    > For some reason, I can't use/start WarpIN any more. The message I get
    > is:
    > =================================
    > WarpIN was unable to open the Global Database at E:\WARPIN
    > \DATBAS_C.INI
    > Error 0x00041112
    > =================================
    >
    > The file exists and I can open the file in a text editor or something
    > else, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    > What is most annoying is that I can't just delete that file and carry
    > on because some WarpIN archives check the WarpIN database to see if
    > some dependencies are installed and won't let me continue otherwise!
    > Grrrrrr....! So, in order to carry on, I might have to re-install a
    > lot of things, which would be very painful given how much software
    > I've got installed right now.
    >
    > Anyway to recover the database or figure out what is wrong with this
    > thing?
    >

    > (BTW, I've never really had any problems with WarpIn until 1.0.17. It
    > never started off on the right foot, the executable wouldn't install
    > for some reason, could never figure out why. I ended up finding the
    > ZIP archive of 1.0.17 and for some reason the executable in there did
    > work. And now this pops up...)
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Isaac

    Is it possible that warpin is getting confused because you are booted
    from a different drive or have installed to a different directory?

    As I understand it, there is an entry in \os2\os2.ini on the boot drive
    that points to the warpin directory. That directory should contain
    warpin.ini and DATBAS_x.ini where x is the boot drive. Both of these
    files are standard os2 ini files and can be browsed with regedit2.

  5. Re: WarpIn can't read database. Can it be fixed?

    On May 3, 9:40 pm, "James J. Weinkam" wrote:
    > AFrog wrote:
    > > For some reason, I can't use/start WarpIN any more. The message I get
    > > is:
    > > =================================
    > > WarpIN was unable to open the Global Database at E:\WARPIN
    > > \DATBAS_C.INI
    > > Error 0x00041112
    > > =================================

    > > The file exists and I can open the file in a text editor or something
    > > else, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    > > What is most annoying is that I can't just delete that file and carry
    > > on because some WarpIN archives check the WarpIN database to see if
    > > some dependencies are installed and won't let me continue otherwise!
    > > Grrrrrr....! So, in order to carry on, I might have to re-install a
    > > lot of things, which would be very painful given how much software
    > > I've got installed right now.

    > > Anyway to recover the database or figure out what is wrong with this
    > > thing?

    > > (BTW, I've never really had any problems with WarpIn until 1.0.17. It
    > > never started off on the right foot, the executable wouldn't install
    > > for some reason, could never figure out why. I ended up finding the
    > > ZIP archive of 1.0.17 and for some reason the executable in there did
    > > work. And now this pops up...)

    > > Thanks,
    > > Isaac

    > Is it possible that warpin is getting confused because you are booted
    > from a different drive or have installed to a different directory?
    >
    > As I understand it, there is an entry in \os2\os2.ini on the boot drive
    > that points to the warpin directory. That directory should contain
    > warpin.ini and DATBAS_x.ini where x is the boot drive. Both of these
    > files are standard os2 ini files and can be browsed with regedit2.

    WarpIN is installed in the same drive it's always been, and the boot
    drive letter is correct.

    I tried re-booting and cleaning up with CHECKINI, but still no luck.
    Seems to be a system problem for me because CONFIGTOOL also does not
    want to load up its database.
    Any clues here???

    Thanks,
    Isaac