Startup problem - OS2

This is a discussion on Startup problem - OS2 ; I am experiencing a curious problem: occasionally some programs fail to start at startup. When I try to launch them manually, I get a message that that program is already running as process XY. If I run TOP or Watchat ...

  1. Startup problem

    I am experiencing a curious problem: occasionally some programs fail to
    start at startup.
    When I try to launch them manually, I get a message that that program is
    already running as process XY. If I run TOP or Watchat to check it, I
    see that process XY is actually running, but is occupied by a different
    program!
    If I kill that process, then launch the failing program, then again the
    killed program, everything goes ok, but this is annoying, especially for
    unattended reboots.
    I moved all the programs from the startup folder to a startup.cmd file,
    but in continues to happen (before, it was usually squid that failed,
    now is samba).

    Is there any way around this?

    Is there a logical order from programs in the startup.cmd file?
    Today samba thinks that it is running in the process occupied by
    LPRPORTD (I have to use it because I could not make the samba print
    services to work). Samba is the second program in startup.cmd, LPRPORTD
    is the sixth.

    And even assuming that some timing issues caused two programs to compete
    for the same process number at startup, why in the hell should a program
    still think it is running in that process days later?

    thanks,
    Piersante

  2. Re: Startup problem

    piesse wrote:
    > I am experiencing a curious problem: occasionally some programs fail to
    > start at startup.

    I don't know whether it could be relevant, but as an additional
    information, I just noticed that all the failing programs were launched
    by .CMD files.

    Piersante

  3. Re: Startup problem

    Sir:

    piesse wrote:
    > I am experiencing a curious problem: occasionally some programs fail to
    > start at startup.
    > When I try to launch them manually, I get a message that that program is
    > already running as process XY. If I run TOP or Watchat to check it, I
    > see that process XY is actually running, but is occupied by a different
    > program!
    > If I kill that process, then launch the failing program, then again the
    > killed program, everything goes ok, but this is annoying, especially for
    > unattended reboots.
    > I moved all the programs from the startup folder to a startup.cmd file,
    > but in continues to happen (before, it was usually squid that failed,
    > now is samba).
    >
    > Is there any way around this?
    >
    > Is there a logical order from programs in the startup.cmd file?
    > Today samba thinks that it is running in the process occupied by
    > LPRPORTD (I have to use it because I could not make the samba print
    > services to work). Samba is the second program in startup.cmd, LPRPORTD
    > is the sixth.
    >

    > And even assuming that some timing issues caused two programs to compete
    > for the same process number at startup, why in the hell should a program
    > still think it is running in that process days later?

    I was starting my servers from a tcpexit.cmd file, which runs before
    startup.cmd file. Tcpexit.cmd is in \tcpip\bin folder (you create, it's
    called from tcpstart.cmd/ or just rename startup.cmd to tcpexit.cmd).
    It might also help to not launch PMshell on that machine, instead use
    Mshell or Tshell.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!