HX DOS extender - OS2

This is a discussion on HX DOS extender - OS2 ; I have tried to get a DOS application running using the HX DOS-extender ( http://www.japheth.de/HX.html ). The DOS app includes one PE (windows) exe, that is called from a DOS/DPMI exe. This doesn't work in a standard DOS-window of course... ...

  1. HX DOS extender

    I have tried to get a DOS application running using the HX DOS-extender
    (http://www.japheth.de/HX.html). The DOS app includes one PE (windows)
    exe, that is called from a DOS/DPMI exe. This doesn't work in a standard
    DOS-window of course...

    After loading HXLdr32, I can run the PE exe without complaints in a DOS
    window. But when the PE exe is called from the DOS exe, I get this
    complaint:

    dpmild32: E:\LAYO1\LAYO1P\layo1pcb.exe: relocs stripped, cannot load

    This is apparently because the OS/2 DPMI host does not support
    allocating memory at the fixed address required by the PE exe. This is a
    DPMI 1.0 feature - OS/2 DPMI is version 0.95.

    Is there any way up "upgrading" the OS/2 DPMI host, or can you switch it
    off, to allow the DPMI host that comes with HX to run?

    Any other way of making something like this work?

    Since the DOS app is a full-screen graphics (VESA) app, running it in
    VPC is not that great...

    Best regards,

    Mikkel C. Simonsen

  2. Re: HX DOS extender

    On 04/28/08 06:40 pm, Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:

    > Is there any way up "upgrading" the OS/2 DPMI host, or can you switch it
    > off, to allow the DPMI host that comes with HX to run?
    >
    > Any other way of making something like this work?
    >
    > Since the DOS app is a full-screen graphics (VESA) app, running it in
    > VPC is not that great...

    Have you tried running it in DOSBox?

  3. Re: HX DOS extender

    Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:
    > I have tried to get a DOS application running using the HX DOS-extender
    > (http://www.japheth.de/HX.html). The DOS app includes one PE (windows)
    > exe, that is called from a DOS/DPMI exe. This doesn't work in a standard
    > DOS-window of course...
    >
    > After loading HXLdr32, I can run the PE exe without complaints in a DOS
    > window. But when the PE exe is called from the DOS exe, I get this
    > complaint:
    >
    > dpmild32: E:\LAYO1\LAYO1P\layo1pcb.exe: relocs stripped, cannot load
    >
    > This is apparently because the OS/2 DPMI host does not support
    > allocating memory at the fixed address required by the PE exe. This is a
    > DPMI 1.0 feature - OS/2 DPMI is version 0.95.
    >
    > Is there any way up "upgrading" the OS/2 DPMI host, or can you switch it
    > off, to allow the DPMI host that comes with HX to run?

    You can try running in a VMB (virtual machine boot) session, rather than
    a VDM. This is the "DOS from Drive A:" shell option from the WPS, but
    it can also be made to load a DOS disk image on your hard drive, or boot
    a DOS partition if you have one. Bottom line is you need a real "DOS"
    to load to make this happen in OS/2.

  4. Re: HX DOS extender

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:52:36 -0700, Marty wrote:

    >> Is there any way up "upgrading" the OS/2 DPMI host, or can you switch it
    >> off, to allow the DPMI host that comes with HX to run?

    > You can try running in a VMB (virtual machine boot) session, rather than
    > a VDM. This is the "DOS from Drive A:" shell option from the WPS, but
    > it can also be made to load a DOS disk image on your hard drive, or boot
    > a DOS partition if you have one. Bottom line is you need a real "DOS"
    > to load to make this happen in OS/2.

    Are you sure? What about turning off DPMI in the DOS Settings?
    i.e. set DPMI_DOS_API to DISABLED and DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT to 0

  5. Re: HX DOS extender

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:43:00 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:52:36 -0700, Marty wrote:
    >
    > >> Is there any way up "upgrading" the OS/2 DPMI host, or can you switch it
    > >> off, to allow the DPMI host that comes with HX to run?

    > > You can try running in a VMB (virtual machine boot) session, rather than
    > > a VDM. This is the "DOS from Drive A:" shell option from the WPS, but
    > > it can also be made to load a DOS disk image on your hard drive, or boot
    > > a DOS partition if you have one. Bottom line is you need a real "DOS"
    > > to load to make this happen in OS/2.

    > Are you sure? What about turning off DPMI in the DOS Settings?
    > i.e. set DPMI_DOS_API to DISABLED and DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT to 0

    I don't think you can run a DPMI host at all.

    Windows 3.x was a DPMI host, and had to be hacked to work on OS/2 for
    that reason.

  6. Re: HX DOS extender

    On 04/29/08 06:57 am, Bob Eager wrote:

    > I don't think you can run a DPMI host at all.

    Programs that use DOS extenders like DOS4GW (like Doom) work...

    > Windows 3.x was a DPMI host, and had to be hacked to work on OS/2 for
    > that reason.

    Red spine OS/2 allowed the use of standard Windows 3.x, although I don't
    know what might have been hacked for it to work...

  7. Re: HX DOS extender

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:24:07 UTC, Steve Wendt
    wrote:

    > On 04/29/08 06:57 am, Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    > > I don't think you can run a DPMI host at all.

    > Programs that use DOS extenders like DOS4GW (like Doom) work...

    They don't work quite the same way...they use their own APIs and
    methods, not DPMI.

    > > Windows 3.x was a DPMI host, and had to be hacked to work on OS/2 for
    > > that reason.

    > Red spine OS/2 allowed the use of standard Windows 3.x, although I don't
    > know what might have been hacked for it to work...

    It was patched at load time (cringe). I have an article about it
    somewhere..

  8. Re: HX DOS extender

    Marty wrote:

    > You can try running in a VMB (virtual machine boot) session, rather than
    > a VDM. This is the "DOS from Drive A:" shell option from the WPS, but
    > it can also be made to load a DOS disk image on your hard drive, or boot
    > a DOS partition if you have one. Bottom line is you need a real "DOS"
    > to load to make this happen in OS/2.

    I tried this (using a DOS 6.2 floppy), but it doesn't change anything.
    The OS/2 DPMI host is still lurking in the background when booting a
    floppy with no memory managers loaded.

    Best regards,

    Mikkel C. Simonsen

  9. Re: HX DOS extender

    Steve Wendt wrote:

    > On 04/28/08 06:40 pm, Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any way up "upgrading" the OS/2 DPMI host, or can you switch it
    > > off, to allow the DPMI host that comes with HX to run?
    > >
    > > Any other way of making something like this work?
    > >
    > > Since the DOS app is a full-screen graphics (VESA) app, running it in
    > > VPC is not that great...

    > Have you tried running it in DOSBox?

    Yes, I have just spent the past 2 hours trying to get it working. I
    actually get a bit further, but not quite far enough...

    The HX DPMI host works fine in DOSBox, but when I try to start the app,
    I get an out of memory error from dpmild32 (the PE loader)...

    Other parts of the app (those that don't need the PE exe) do work. The
    output driver/plotter app runs fine in 800x600 VESA mode - the three
    button mouse even works!

    Best regards,

    Mikkel C. Simonsen

  10. Re: HX DOS extender

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 02:12:50 +0200, Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:

    :>Marty wrote:
    :>>
    :>> You can try running in a VMB (virtual machine boot) session, rather than
    :>> a VDM. This is the "DOS from Drive A:" shell option from the WPS, but
    :>> it can also be made to load a DOS disk image on your hard drive, or boot
    :>> a DOS partition if you have one. Bottom line is you need a real "DOS"
    :>> to load to make this happen in OS/2.
    :>
    :>I tried this (using a DOS 6.2 floppy), but it doesn't change anything.
    :>The OS/2 DPMI host is still lurking in the background when booting a
    :>floppy with no memory managers loaded.

    Possibly VirtualBox is a solution for this. I presume it allows you to have a
    real Dos environment rather than an OS/2 provided one.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  11. Re: HX DOS extender

    Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 02:12:50 +0200, Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:
    >
    > :>Marty wrote:
    > :>>
    > :>> You can try running in a VMB (virtual machine boot) session, rather than
    > :>> a VDM. This is the "DOS from Drive A:" shell option from the WPS, but
    > :>> it can also be made to load a DOS disk image on your hard drive, or boot
    > :>> a DOS partition if you have one. Bottom line is you need a real "DOS"
    > :>> to load to make this happen in OS/2.
    > :>
    > :>I tried this (using a DOS 6.2 floppy), but it doesn't change anything.
    > :>The OS/2 DPMI host is still lurking in the background when booting a
    > :>floppy with no memory managers loaded.
    >
    > Possibly VirtualBox is a solution for this. I presume it allows you to have a
    > real Dos environment rather than an OS/2 provided one.

    Perhaps. I have tried in VPC, but the problem is the jerky mouse cursor.
    Is VirtualBox better in that respect?

    Best regards,

    Mikkel C. Simonsen

  12. Re: HX DOS extender

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 23:32:05 +0200, Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:

    :>> Possibly VirtualBox is a solution for this. I presume it allows you to have a
    :>> real Dos environment rather than an OS/2 provided one.
    :>
    :>Perhaps. I have tried in VPC, but the problem is the jerky mouse cursor.
    :>Is VirtualBox better in that respect?

    Haven't tried yet with a graphical Dos program. I don't have Layo anymore (I
    use Eagle), but I should have some GEM diskettes somewhere. Will try
    tomorrow.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  13. Re: HX DOS extender

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 18:17:39 +0200 (CEST), Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

    :>On Fri, 02 May 2008 23:32:05 +0200, Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :>:>> Possibly VirtualBox is a solution for this. I presume it allows you to have a
    :>:>> real Dos environment rather than an OS/2 provided one.
    :>:>
    :>:>Perhaps. I have tried in VPC, but the problem is the jerky mouse cursor.
    :>:>Is VirtualBox better in that respect?
    :>
    :>Haven't tried yet with a graphical Dos program. I don't have Layo anymore (I
    :>use Eagle), but I should have some GEM diskettes somewhere. Will try
    :>tomorrow.

    Installed FreeDos from fdfullcd.iso on a 512M virtual disk, and also the
    OpenGEM GUI desktop that comes with FreeDos. In GEM, the mouse cursor was
    very slightly jerky, after changing the GEM settings to only dropdown menus
    when clicked upon, the mouse cursor was barely less smooth than on the normal
    desktop.
    I don't know what DPMI support is present in FreeDos, though.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

+ Reply to Thread