how to get sound in MySpace - OS2

This is a discussion on how to get sound in MySpace - OS2 ; Is there a way we can play sound on musicians' MySpace pages? All I see is a white square where the Flash player should be (no error message, just a blank space.) Up until now I had no compelling reason ...

  1. how to get sound in MySpace

    Is there a way we can play sound on musicians' MySpace pages? All I see is
    a white square where the Flash player should be (no error message, just a
    blank space.) Up until now I had no compelling reason to try, but I may
    need to in the future. I would prefer to download the sound files rather
    than stream since I'm on dial-up.

    I have no problems playing sound in some Flash players, such as
    http://www.gillenandturk.com/music.html or to play YouTube videos.

    Thanks,

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

  2. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    On 04/28/08 12:40 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Is there a way we can play sound on musicians' MySpace pages? All I see is
    > a white square where the Flash player should be (no error message, just a
    > blank space.) Up until now I had no compelling reason to try, but I may
    > need to in the future. I would prefer to download the sound files rather
    > than stream since I'm on dial-up.
    >
    > I have no problems playing sound in some Flash players, such as
    > http://www.gillenandturk.com/music.html or to play YouTube videos.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pierre

    If you can figure out how to scrape the URL and download the file
    MPlayer or FFmpeg(kmp) should be able to play it.
    There are a few extensions for Firefox that will grab and download flash
    videos and I know of one Python script that works great with YouTube.
    DownloadHelper is one I have tested on a few sites that worked well for
    me. Never tried it on MySpace though
    Dave

  3. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    Dave Yeo writes:

    > If you can figure out how to scrape the URL and download the file
    > MPlayer or FFmpeg(kmp) should be able to play it.

    There's no URL proper, it's the name of the player followed by a long
    series of parameters.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  4. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    On 04/28/08 08:26 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Dave Yeo writes:
    >> If you can figure out how to scrape the URL and download the file
    >> MPlayer or FFmpeg(kmp) should be able to play it.

    > There's no URL proper, it's the name of the player followed by a long
    > series of parameters.
    >
    > Pierre

    If you are using Firefox their are a few extensions that will download
    the video, eg http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php seems to have a
    few addons. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390 is
    another one. This web site claims to allow you to download videos as
    well, http://www.flashload.net/en/
    All are untested here, my Firefox is to new for most addons and
    generally I use Seamonkey. Plus I'm on dialup
    Dave

  5. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    Dave Yeo writes:

    > If you are using Firefox their are a few extensions that will download
    > the video, eg http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php seems to have a
    > few addons. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390 is
    > another one. This web site claims to allow you to download videos as
    > well, http://www.flashload.net/en/

    I'm trying to get audio, not video, and they have no proper URL associated
    with them, just the player and some encoded parameter.

    > All are untested here, my Firefox is to new for most addons and
    > generally I use Seamonkey. Plus I'm on dialup

    I use Seamonkey on dialup as well.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  6. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    On 04/29/08 11:07 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Dave Yeo writes:
    >> If you are using Firefox their are a few extensions that will download
    >> the video, eg http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php seems to have a
    >> few addons. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390 is
    >> another one. This web site claims to allow you to download videos as
    >> well, http://www.flashload.net/en/

    > I'm trying to get audio, not video, and they have no proper URL associated
    > with them, just the player and some encoded parameter.

    Could you post a URL?
    Dave

  7. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    Dave Yeo writes:
    > On 04/29/08 11:07 pm, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > > Dave Yeo writes:
    > >> If you are using Firefox their are a few extensions that will download
    > >> the video, eg http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php seems to have a
    > >> few addons. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390 is
    > >> another one. This web site claims to allow you to download videos as
    > >> well, http://www.flashload.net/en/

    > > I'm trying to get audio, not video, and they have no proper URL associated
    > > with them, just the player and some encoded parameter.
    > >

    > Could you post a URL?

    Any musician's Myspace page! Say http://www.myspace.com/amyspeace

    All I can do is stream, which on a dial-up connection is useless. I can't
    grab the stream, I can't download the songs --or view the comments or
    lyrics for that matter. All the Flash links are dead.

    Pierre

    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org

  8. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    Pierre Jelenc schrieb:

    > Dave Yeo writes:
    > >
    > > If you can figure out how to scrape the URL and download the file
    > > MPlayer or FFmpeg(kmp) should be able to play it.

    > There's no URL proper, it's the name of the player followed by a long
    > series of parameters.

    right click on the page.
    Select 'Side information' and there the page 'Media'
    Lock in the list for the file you search, select this and push 'save
    as'.

    Hendrik

  9. Re: how to get sound in MySpace

    Hendrik Schmieder writes:
    > Pierre Jelenc schrieb:
    > >
    > > Dave Yeo writes:
    > > >
    > > > If you can figure out how to scrape the URL and download the file
    > > > MPlayer or FFmpeg(kmp) should be able to play it.

    > > There's no URL proper, it's the name of the player followed by a long
    > > series of parameters.
    > >

    > right click on the page.
    > Select 'Side information' and there the page 'Media'
    > Lock in the list for the file you search, select this and push 'save
    > as'.

    My point is that there is *NO* file name. There is no mp3 on the Media
    page, only an encrypted parameter. Try it on any band's page, you won't
    find anything that looks like a music file even though there's a music
    player.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc