Alternate "container" style - OS2

This is a discussion on Alternate "container" style - OS2 ; Hello, A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind of display? -- jmm (hyphen) list ...

  1. Alternate "container" style

    Hello,
    A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style
    "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone
    suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind
    of display?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  2. Re: Alternate "container" style

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:40:28 UTC Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style
    > "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone
    > suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind
    > of display?

    Here in coopm was a thread on "PM split window" in april 2006. HTH
    Trevor wrote some time ago, that Pronews/2 code was not general enough
    to be reused, IIRC.

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  3. Re: Alternate "container" style

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style
    > "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone
    > suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind
    > of display?

    Can't say about Pronews/2, but Mozillas definitely use their own engine
    to paint into the window and do the GUI. There is little of OS/2 GUI in
    there -just about the standard window(s) and file open/save dialogs.

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  4. Re: Alternate "container" style

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:40:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style
    > "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone
    > suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind
    > of display?

    I just had a quick look and it looks like it's done in about 8,000 lines of code
    :-( Not an area that I've ever had to touch much so don't know much about it and
    almost certainly not portable.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: Alternate "container" style

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style
    > "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone
    > suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind
    > of display?

    When you looks more exactly you'll see that there are 2 different
    windows are in use.
    1. a toolbar dynamically created, used to change the width of the
    buttons
    2. a container in detailsview with the same fieldwidths as the buttons
    above.

    It is on you to calculate the wides of the buttons while the user
    changes them and to calculate the field widths of the fields of the
    fields of the container.

    It is a trick.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  6. Re: Alternate "container" style

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:40:28 UTC, Jim Moe wrote:

    > A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style
    > "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone
    > suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind
    > of display?

    Several apps I've produced over the last few years incorporate a
    standard PM container control that features resizable columns and
    click-to-sort column headings. All are open source and licensed
    under the Mozilla Public license. If your project uses a compatible
    license (i.e _not_ GPL), you're free to copy/adapt their code.

    http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip contains both source & binaries
    for Iconomize & FPos, two os2.ini tools. Look at fposcol.c or
    icnzcol.c

    http://e-vertise.com/misc/camera15-src.zip contains the source and
    http://e-vertise.com/misc/camera15.zip contains the binaries for
    Cameraderie, my digital camera app. Its container code is more
    elaborate because it also supports an ownerdraw thumbnail (icon)
    view. Details view includes the ability to rearrange or hide
    columns, as well as resize and sort them. Look at camcnr.c and
    camcol.c.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

    | DragText v3.9 with NLS support
    Rich Walsh | A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

  7. Re: Alternate "container" style

    On 04/28/08 10:40 am, Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > A couple of applications, ProNews/2 and Thunderbird, use a details-style
    > "container" that allows each column to sized independently. Can anyone
    > suggest the general method and types of controls used to achieve that kind
    > of display?

    Thank you all for the ideas and pointers. It gives me a number of ways
    to approach re-designing the interface.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

+ Reply to Thread