PmW-Fx curiosity - OS2

This is a discussion on PmW-Fx curiosity - OS2 ; I have previously reported that double clicking on html files with PmW-Fx 2.0 icon fails to start PmW-Fx. I discovered by chance that it does work when a PmW-Fx instance is already open. Any comments?...

  1. PmW-Fx curiosity

    I have previously reported that double clicking on html files with PmW-Fx
    2.0 icon fails to start PmW-Fx. I discovered by chance that it does work when a
    PmW-Fx instance is already open.

    Any comments?

  2. Re: PmW-Fx curiosity

    Sir:

    johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > I have previously reported that double clicking on html files with PmW-Fx
    > 2.0 icon fails to start PmW-Fx. I discovered by chance that it does work when a
    > PmW-Fx instance is already open.
    >
    > Any comments?

    First open Associate Editor for file types. Look under the HTML types
    (there can be more than one) to see if Firefox is the first item
    associated (if not, make it so). Repeat for the file extensions. Next
    look in your template folder to see if there is a template for HTML
    files defined (if yes, change it to reference Firefox). Now try drag &
    drop of HTML files on Firefox. Double clicking and D&D should work to
    start Firefox. If these don't, add %s to the parameter for the Firefox
    object. Let know which worked.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: PmW-Fx curiosity

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 07:08:02 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, johnsuth@nospam.com.au
    wrote:

    > I have previously reported that double clicking on html files with PmW-Fx
    > 2.0 icon fails to start PmW-Fx. I discovered by chance that it does work when a
    > PmW-Fx instance is already open.

    Sounds like you don't have its dlls in your libpath.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: PmW-Fx curiosity

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:25:09 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley" wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 07:08:02 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >
    > > I have previously reported that double clicking on html files with
    > > PmW-Fx 2.0 icon fails to start PmW-Fx. I discovered by chance that
    > > it does work when a PmW-Fx instance is already open.

    > Sounds like you don't have its dlls in your libpath.

    That isn't the real problem nor is it an appropriate solution.
    It would work around the issue but might cause problems with
    other mozapps.

    The real problem is that the associated .exe or program object
    doesn't have its 'Working directory' field filled in (or filled
    in correctly).

    This isn't an issue when starting them directly because the
    program/program object always sets the working directory to
    the exe's directory if none is specified. However, datafiles
    have their own, fairly defective, program-launch code which
    fails to do this.

    Set the object's 'Working directory' field to the exe's directory
    and all will be well (and keep mozapp directories out of your
    LIBPATH).

    --
    == == almost usable email address: Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

    | DragText v3.9 with NLS support
    Rich Walsh | A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

  5. Re: PmW-Fx curiosity

    In , "Rich Walsh" writes:
    >On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:25:09 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley" wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 07:08:02 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have previously reported that double clicking on html files with
    >> > PmW-Fx 2.0 icon fails to start PmW-Fx. I discovered by chance that
    >> > it does work when a PmW-Fx instance is already open.

    >The real problem is that the associated .exe or program object
    >doesn't have its 'Working directory' field filled in (or filled
    >in correctly).
    >
    >This isn't an issue when starting them directly because the
    >program/program object always sets the working directory to
    >the exe's directory if none is specified. However, datafiles
    >have their own, fairly defective, program-launch code which
    >fails to do this.
    >
    >Set the object's 'Working directory' field to the exe's directory
    >and all will be well (and keep mozapp directories out of your
    >LIBPATH).

    Thanks Rich, you were spot on.

  6. Re: PmW-Fx curiosity

    In <481460e4$0$4105$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "William L. Hartzell" writes:
    >Sir:
    >
    >johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >> I have previously reported that double clicking on html files with PmW-Fx
    >> 2.0 icon fails to start PmW-Fx. I discovered by chance that it does work when a
    >> PmW-Fx instance is already open.
    >>
    >> Any comments?
    >>

    >First open Associate Editor for file types. Look under the HTML types
    >(there can be more than one) to see if Firefox is the first item
    >associated (if not, make it so). Repeat for the file extensions. Next
    >look in your template folder to see if there is a template for HTML
    >files defined (if yes, change it to reference Firefox). Now try drag &
    >drop of HTML files on Firefox. Double clicking and D&D should work to
    >start Firefox. If these don't, add %s to the parameter for the Firefox
    >object. Let know which worked.

    Both the Association Editor and HTML template reported Firefox.

    Filling in the blank working directory field in the Firefox program object did
    the trick.

+ Reply to Thread