NFS Open problem - OS2

This is a discussion on NFS Open problem - OS2 ; For another project I needed to run source code I keep on my server through a special GCC cross compiler on my Solaris box. There is no OS/2 version of that complier. I thought it would make life easier if ...

  1. NFS Open problem

    For another project I needed to run source code I keep on my server
    through a special GCC cross compiler on my Solaris box. There is no
    OS/2 version of that complier. I thought it would make life easier if
    I NFS mounted the directory in question and that worked fine. I then
    thought why not use NFS to replace what I currently do with File and
    Print sharing? Having already eliminated the need to share a printer
    by using a networked one. Normally I share the whole of my "home"
    drive so I swithced that over to NFS. All seemed OK until I tried to
    run PMMail - said it could not find directories that were clearly
    there. I tried a couple of other prgrams and hit the same problem.

    In an effort to keep things simple I knocked up a quick bit of C that
    just tried to open a file and report the return
    code. Also, I forgot to mention above, that I was using the NFSClient
    that comes with the TCP config program from Hobbes. It turns out that
    this client silently turns off case insensitive file name matching
    when it mounts. So if I use that and get the full case of the
    path/file correct my program sees it, else it does not. Note that the
    docs with this say that this only happens when going to a *nix NFS
    server but it seems to be true of the OS/2 one as well! If you do the
    mount yourself with the right case options all is fine and my program
    works and PMM works also.

    Now the strange thing is that with the case insensitive off then my
    program fails to open h:/home/db/clipprocess because the actual case
    correct string is h:/home/DB/ClipProcess. (The drive letter and the /s
    don't matter BTW.) Well that would make sense *except* that vi, e,
    epm, et al *all* can open it. So how the heck do they do that? I have
    tried open and fopen.

    Although I can get NFS to work using the right switches and doing the
    mount myself the performance is dire. Several orders of magnitude
    slower than the same drive over file and print.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  2. Re: NFS Open problem

    Dave Saville
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Now the strange thing is that with the case insensitive off then my
    > program fails to open h:/home/db/clipprocess because the actual case
    > correct string is h:/home/DB/ClipProcess. (The drive letter and the /s
    > don't matter BTW.) Well that would make sense *except* that vi, e,
    > epm, et al *all* can open it. So how the heck do they do that? I have
    > tried open and fopen.

    os2trace?

    Hope thie helps,
    Ilya