sata raid mirror - OS2

This is a discussion on sata raid mirror - OS2 ; Does OS/2 support any real hardware SATA raid controllers like 3ware..etc.? I'm looking for something newer at least other than the archaic Netcell/Syncraid raid controller mentioned in the danis506 docs.....

  1. sata raid mirror

    Does OS/2 support any real hardware SATA raid controllers like 3ware..etc.?
    I'm looking for something newer at least other than the archaic
    Netcell/Syncraid raid controller mentioned in the danis506 docs..

  2. Re: sata raid mirror

    Hi dinkmeister

    dinkmeister wrote:
    > Does OS/2 support any real hardware SATA raid controllers like 3ware..etc.?
    > I'm looking for something newer at least other than the archaic
    > Netcell/Syncraid raid controller mentioned in the danis506 docs..

    Is the XFX REVO 64 SPU 3 Port SATA Raid Card the same as the "archaic
    Netcell/Syncraid raid controller mentioned in the danis506 docs.." ? I
    ask because I do not know...
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=225506

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: sata raid mirror

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:50:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.storage, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Is the XFX REVO 64 SPU 3 Port SATA Raid Card the same as the "archaic
    > Netcell/Syncraid raid controller mentioned in the danis506 docs.." ? I
    > ask because I do not know...
    > http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=225506

    Yes. Scan appear to have limitless stocks of the 3 port card (though none of the
    5 port variety unfortunately). You can usually find it on their 'Today Only'
    page at least once a week and it's then knocked down to about 9+VAT - yep,
    there today at 8.50+VAT.

    The problem with them is that Netcell are out of business and took their BIOS
    code with them so there will be no new firmware for them and no support. Newer
    versions of the firmware became more Windows-centric as they removed great
    chunks of functionality from the BIOS and moved it to the Windows-only utility.
    But that apart, they seem to work fairly well.

    Oh, and it looks like you can't boot OS/2 off them but they work well as things
    to hang great wodges of storage off ;-)

    Here's my 5 port card with 5 Seagate 160GB drives circa 2004 attached

    Disk I/O disk 2-2: 610508 MB - NetCell SyncRAID(TM) SR5000 X
    Avg. data access time : 16.200 milliseconds
    Cache/Bus xfer rate : 82.825 Megabytes/second
    Track 0 xfer rate fwd : 77.652 Megabytes/second
    Middle trk rate fwds. : 77.631 Megabytes/second
    Last track rate bwds. : 72.555 Megabytes/second
    Average Transfer rate : 75.946 Megabytes/second
    Disk use CPU load : 3.140 percent

    Total : 436.058 Disk I/O-marks

    And here's a 3 port card in someone else's machine with 3 WD 150GB 10k Raptor's
    on it

    Disk I/O disk 2-2: 286174 MB - NetCell SyncRAID(TM) SR5000 R
    Avg. data access time : 11.900 milliseconds
    Cache/Bus xfer rate : 110.539 Megabytes/second
    Track 0 xfer rate fwd : 105.120 Megabytes/second
    Middle trk rate fwds. : 104.267 Megabytes/second
    Last track rate bwds. : 90.889 Megabytes/second
    Average Transfer rate : 100.092 Megabytes/second
    Disk use CPU load : 3.920 percent
    Total : 568.142 Disk I/O-marks

    Mine used to score higher in an older motherboard but it looks like PCI
    performance took a step downhill when it's chained off a PCiE bus.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

+ Reply to Thread