mkisofs with large file support - OS2

This is a discussion on mkisofs with large file support - OS2 ; I discovered that mkisofs2 2.01a32 I have does not support large files. What I'm getting is File ./foo is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring File ./bar is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring Is there a version ...

  1. mkisofs with large file support

    I discovered that mkisofs2 2.01a32 I have does not support large
    files. What I'm getting is

    File ./foo is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    File ./bar is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring

    Is there a version compiled with large file support? I have a couple
    of 2.2GB files I would prefer to burn...

    Thanks,
    Ilya

    P.S. Alternatively, is it possible to use DVD+R with os/2 UDF writer?
    Would 4677000000 fit with the generated-UDF overhead?

  2. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:55:09 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > I discovered that mkisofs2 2.01a32 I have does not support large
    > files. What I'm getting is
    >
    > File ./foo is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    > File ./bar is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    >
    > Is there a version compiled with large file support? I have a couple
    > of 2.2GB files I would prefer to burn...

    There is a newer one here, but I didn't check if it has large file support.
    ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/cdrto...36-os2-bin.zip

    > P.S. Alternatively, is it possible to use DVD+R with os/2 UDF writer?
    > Would 4677000000 fit with the generated-UDF overhead?

    I can try with a DVD+RW and tell you l8r.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  3. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:55:09 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > P.S. Alternatively, is it possible to use DVD+R with os/2 UDF writer?
    > Would 4677000000 fit with the generated-UDF overhead?

    A freshly formatted DVD+RW says:
    4.691.034.112 total bytes on drive S:
    4.690.694.144 bytes free on drive S:

    (It must be the lostfiles.dir that consumes the few bytes)

    Anyway, it looks like it is possible.

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  4. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > I discovered that mkisofs2 2.01a32 I have does not support large
    > files. What I'm getting is
    >
    > File ./foo is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    > File ./bar is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    >
    > Is there a version compiled with large file support? I have a couple
    > of 2.2GB files I would prefer to burn...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya
    >
    > P.S. Alternatively, is it possible to use DVD+R with os/2 UDF writer?
    > Would 4677000000 fit with the generated-UDF overhead?

    I have (from Hobbes) cdrtools2-2.01.01a04\Readme.mkisofs. The readme
    claims, " Mkisofs can put to ISO9660 images files up to 4gb is size and
    in UDF images files over 4gb in size. To read files over 4gb from UDF
    image use latest UDF.IFS. Some earlier versions of UDF.IFS do not read
    such files. "

    Using this and DVDDAO on a JFS partition I have written DVD's with a
    little over 4GB total data although these have not contained a single
    file over 2GB.

    Ted

  5. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    Ted Edwards
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > > I discovered that mkisofs2 2.01a32 I have does not support large
    > > files. What I'm getting is
    > >
    > > File ./foo is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    > > File ./bar is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring

    > I have (from Hobbes) cdrtools2-2.01.01a04\Readme.mkisofs. The readme
    > claims, " Mkisofs can put to ISO9660 images files up to 4gb is size and
    > in UDF images files over 4gb in size. To read files over 4gb from UDF
    > image use latest UDF.IFS. Some earlier versions of UDF.IFS do not read
    > such files. "

    This is not necessarily relevant. Mkisofs can CONTAIN CODE to put
    large files to the image. However, it must also be CORRECTLY COMPILED
    to *read* large files on OS/2.

    AHA - I realized that 2.01.01a04 may be later than 2.01a32!!! Will retry...

    > Using this and DVDDAO on a JFS partition I have written DVD's with a
    > little over 4GB total data although these have not contained a single
    > file over 2GB.

    Writing large files over a pipe (e.g., to DvdDao) was NEVER a problem.

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  6. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    Allan
    ], who wrote in article :
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:55:09 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > > Is there a version compiled with large file support? I have a couple
    > > of 2.2GB files I would prefer to burn...

    > There is a newer one here, but I didn't check if it has large file support.
    > ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/cdrto...36-os2-bin.zip

    Oups, it took me reading 2 replies (and half of answering another!) to
    realize that 2.01.01a* is later than 2.01a*!

    Already 2.01.01a04 can write stuff to /dev/nul (but has some false
    warnings:
    Cant open .mkisofsrc : The file or directory specified is read-only.
    j:/home/.mkisofsrc: The file or directory specified is read-only.
    ). Will try with your version later...

    > > P.S. Alternatively, is it possible to use DVD+R with os/2 UDF writer?
    > > Would 4677000000 fit with the generated-UDF overhead?

    > I can try with a DVD+RW and tell you l8r.

    Somebody already did it, so there is no need to experiment.

    A lot of thanks,
    Ilya

  7. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    Allan
    ], who wrote in article :
    > A freshly formatted DVD+RW says:
    > 4.691.034.112 total bytes on drive S:
    > 4.690.694.144 bytes free on drive S:

    Thanks; I'm adding it to my HOWTO-cd file (BTW, the top of it reads now:

    Apparently, the max is: DVD-R: 2298496, DVD+R: 2295104;
    DVD-R DL: 4171712, DVD+R DL: 4173824

    I suspect that the number of sectors on +-RW flavors is the same...)

    Yours,
    Ilya

  8. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > This is not necessarily relevant. Mkisofs can CONTAIN CODE to put
    > large files to the image. However, it must also be CORRECTLY COMPILED
    > to *read* large files on OS/2.

    I assune you are aware that you need to work with a JFS formatted
    partition to deal with files over 2GB.

    Ted

  9. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    Ted Edwards
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > > This is not necessarily relevant. Mkisofs can CONTAIN CODE to put
    > > large files to the image. However, it must also be CORRECTLY COMPILED
    > > to *read* large files on OS/2.

    > I assune you are aware that you need to work with a JFS formatted
    > partition to deal with files over 2GB.

    I'm puzzled what mental model of my problem you managed to acquire...

    Do you think I do not have the files I want to burn? ;-)

    Ilya

  10. Re: mkisofs with large file support

    Ilya Zakharevich
    ], who wrote in article :

    > I discovered that mkisofs2 2.01a32 I have does not support large
    > files. What I'm getting is
    >
    > File ./foo is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    > File ./bar is not readable (errno = 24) - ignoring
    >
    > Is there a version compiled with large file support? I have a couple
    > of 2.2GB files I would prefer to burn...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya
    >
    > P.S. Alternatively, is it possible to use DVD+R with os/2 UDF writer?
    > Would 4677000000 fit with the generated-UDF overhead?

    Below is a part of the report I sent to Dmitry.

    Enjoy,
    Ilya

    a) mkisofs2 2.01.01a04 : --print-size produces a reasonable answer
    (nothing else checked);

    b) mkisofs 2.01.01a37 : --print-size produces no output at all
    (in any directory)

    c) mkisofs 2.01.01a36 : --print-size gives garbage:
    (Total extents scheduled to be written = 429)

    d) mkisofs 2.01.01a27 : --print-size produces a reasonable answer

    -udf -r -T -J --joliet-long .
    produces a DVD which is rejected by my
    UDF.IFS version (06-29-04 18:18, no
    BLDLEVEL), but is quite readable with my
    CDFS.IFS (14.83).

    (mkisofs 2.01.01a27 is from your 2.01.01a36 package)

    Other remarks on the created DVD:

    A) mplayer refuses to seek when reading from this DVD (mounted by CDFS)!

    B) File Commander has no problem reading files at any offset.

    C) Sequential reads work fine (as `cat to');

    D) DosCopy works fine (as
    perl -MFile::Copy=copy -wle "copy shift, q(to)" v:\from
    ).

    E) File Commander copying from this DVD works fine.

    F) On friend's Window Vista the disk is read fine as UDF,

+ Reply to Thread