rsync - OS2

This is a discussion on rsync - OS2 ; I'd like to link up with someone familiar with rsync on os2/ecs. The startup on this probably wonderful package is difficult. I'm sure I'm making some stupid mistakes that someone with experience could easily correct. Thanks, Tim Stephen...

  1. rsync

    I'd like to link up with someone familiar with rsync on os2/ecs.
    The startup on this probably wonderful package is difficult. I'm
    sure I'm making some stupid mistakes that someone with experience
    could easily correct.

    Thanks,

    Tim Stephen

  2. Re: rsync

    Hi Tim,

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:14:44 UTC, root@fast.foo.bar () wrote:

    > I'd like to link up with someone familiar with rsync on os2/ecs.
    > The startup on this probably wonderful package is difficult. I'm
    > sure I'm making some stupid mistakes that someone with experience
    > could easily correct.

    Post your questions here, and I'll try answer them....

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  3. Re: rsync

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:20:37 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    wrote:

    > Hi Tim,
    >
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:14:44 UTC, root@fast.foo.bar () wrote:
    >
    > > I'd like to link up with someone familiar with rsync on os2/ecs.
    > > The startup on this probably wonderful package is difficult. I'm
    > > sure I'm making some stupid mistakes that someone with experience
    > > could easily correct.

    > Post your questions here, and I'll try answer them....

    Question: Does RSYNC support files larger than 2 GiB?

    Thanks...
    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  4. Re: rsync

    In , on 04/25/2008
    at 07:38 PM, "Doug Bissett" said:

    Hi,

    >Question: Does RSYNC support files larger than 2 GiB?

    It should. Libc has code to detect if the large file APIs are present and
    use them if they are available.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 11pre8 #10183

  5. Re: rsync

    I think I've got it working with server on a remote machine
    and client on my main machine. I'm using it to mirror the
    main machine's disks. The trouble I continue to encounter
    is with unexpected outcomes from the path statements in
    the rsyncd.conf files. A simple statement like
    PATH = D:\
    may not result in the files being copied as expected to
    D:\* on the remote machine. Sometimes they end up under
    subdirectories off of D:\. They do end up on D: and not
    say C:, E:, or F: but not necessarily in the place I expect them to
    be. I've discovered that D:..\..\ sometimes gets them where I want
    them but it is as if the rsync in daemon mode has a pointer to
    some subdirectory in use by some program on the drive
    and it takes that as its starting place in the directory tree
    on the drive. Is this
    making sense? I read somewhere that rsync doesn't support
    drive letters, but that doesn't seem to be confirmed by my
    experience. The files do go on the right drive. It's that they
    don't seem to senisbly end up where one might expect given
    a simple path statement like D:\. Obviously I am confused
    about this and would appreciate help in understanding what's
    going on and how to work with it. RSYNC is a spectacular
    program potentially very valuable for folks like me who need
    backup and mirroring capabilities for remotedly located machines.
    Very very grateful to Paul Smedly for all his ports.

    Tim Stephen

    In article , Paul Smedley wrote:
    >Hi Tim,
    >
    >On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:14:44 UTC, root@fast.foo.bar () wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to link up with someone familiar with rsync on os2/ecs.
    >> The startup on this probably wonderful package is difficult. I'm
    >> sure I'm making some stupid mistakes that someone with experience
    >> could easily correct.

    >Post your questions here, and I'll try answer them....
    >
    >--
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Paul.

  6. Re: rsync

    In <48135ef6$0$3354$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 04/26/2008
    at 04:57 PM, root@fast.foo.bar () said:

    Hi,

    >the rsyncd.conf files. A simple statement like
    >PATH = D:\
    >may not result in the files being copied as expected to
    >D:\* on the remote machine.

    Generally apps ported from unix work better is you use forward slashes.
    However, it's YMMV as the following shows

    pid file = .\rsyncd.pid
    lock file = .\rsyncd.lock
    secrets file = .\passwd
    strict modes = false

    [volj]
    path = J:/
    comment = Volume J:
    refuse options = delete

    Generally paths that get little or no processing by the code will handle
    backslashes. However, paths such as those in the path keyword can have
    many forms and it's just easier to use forward slashes to minimize the
    chance of confusion.

    There's an ongoing effort to make rsync for eCS/OS2 work correctly with
    both drive letters and backslashes.

    If you can identify specific cases where backslashes or drive letters
    don't work, please report them to mantis.smedley.info. The -v option can
    be helpful when trying to figure out exactly what rsync is trying to do.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 11pre8 #10183

  7. Re: rsync

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:57:26 UTC, root@fast.foo.bar () wrote:

    > I think I've got it working with server on a remote machine
    > and client on my main machine. I'm using it to mirror the
    > main machine's disks. The trouble I continue to encounter
    > is with unexpected outcomes from the path statements in
    > the rsyncd.conf files. A simple statement like
    > PATH = D:\
    > may not result in the files being copied as expected to
    > D:\* on the remote machine. Sometimes they end up under
    > subdirectories off of D:\.

    Command window open to D:\
    change drive cd around and run rsync - files in right place

    Command window open to D:\
    CD into D: and run rsync - files start where you are in D

    Command window open to D:\..............
    change drive cd around and run rsync - files start where you were
    in D

    The system remembers where you are/were on any drive. I have seen this
    type of thing before. However it does not *always* seem to happen and
    I have no idea why. Safest is to explicitly start from d:\ It only
    seems to happen within a command window session. Where other comand
    windows are, thankfully, does not have any effect.

    HTH

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  8. Re: rsync

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:31:52 UTC, Steven Levine
    wrote:

    > In , on 04/25/2008
    > at 07:38 PM, "Doug Bissett" said:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > >Question: Does RSYNC support files larger than 2 GiB?

    > It should. Libc has code to detect if the large file APIs are present and
    > use them if they are available.
    >
    > Steven

    Thanks. I guess I will try to get i to work, without that
    complication, first.

    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  9. Re: rsync

    In , on 04/26/2008
    at 09:45 PM, "Dave Saville" said:

    >> main machine's disks. The trouble I continue to encounter
    >> is with unexpected outcomes from the path statements in
    >> the rsyncd.conf files. A simple statement like
    >> PATH = D:\
    >> may not result in the files being copied as expected to
    >> D:\* on the remote machine. Sometimes they end up under
    >> subdirectories off of D:\.

    You might ant to test this again with Paul's latest rsync drop. It's got
    lots of fixes and now does EAs correctly, if you need them. It still does
    not preserve native permissions correctly although most of the code to do
    this is now in place.

    Debugging forked apps on OS/2 is not for the timid.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00.11.18 BETA #10183