Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information - OS2

This is a discussion on Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information - OS2 ; To Alex Taylor I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to ...

  1. Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    To Alex Taylor

    I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    exif information and today's modern dlsr's.

    Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

  2. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:08:11 UTC, joop.nijenhuis@hccnet.nl wrote:

    > I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    > camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    > formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    > the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    > so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    > file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    > exif information and today's modern dlsr's.
    >
    > Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    > possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

    As far as I know, 2.2.8 _is_ the latest level for OS/2.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  3. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    joop.nijenhuis@hccnet.nl wrote:
    > To Alex Taylor
    >
    > I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    > camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    > formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    > the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    > so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    > file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    > exif information and today's modern dlsr's.
    >
    > Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    > possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

    I'm not promising anything, but can you send me a picture you're unable
    to load?

    Frank.

  4. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On 23 apr, 10:51, "Alex Taylor" wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:08:11 UTC, joop.nijenh...@hccnet.nl wrote:
    > > I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    > > camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    > > formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    > > the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    > > so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    > > file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    > > exif information and today's modern dlsr's.

    > > Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    > > possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

    > As far as I know, 2.2.8 _is_ the latest level for OS/2.

    to Alex Taylor
    Thanks for your replay, I did know that 2.2.8 is the latest level for
    OS/2. That was not the question. If I'm right you compiled 2.2.8 for
    OS/2. In later version for other OS'es the bug with exif information
    seemed solved. So why not compile the latest (2.4.?) for OS/2 or
    eComStation? If thats a problem for you than I'm willing to do so, but
    you have to tell me what you did or give the sources for the 2.2.8 for
    OS/2 and the orginal so I can see what you did.

    Regards,
    Joop

  5. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On 23 apr, 11:33, Frank Giessler wrote:
    > joop.nijenh...@hccnet.nl wrote:
    > > To Alex Taylor

    > > I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    > > camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    > > formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    > > the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    > > so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    > > file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    > > exif information and today's modern dlsr's.

    > > Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    > > possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

    > I'm not promising anything, but can you send me a picture you're unable
    > to load?
    >
    > Frank.

    I've tried several options on several installations, all with same
    results. As soon as the jpeg is saved without the exif information
    than the Gimp has no problems. I see no point in sending a picture.
    Also other packages under Windows did upgrade because of the extended
    exif information in the latest dslr's.

  6. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On 22.04.08 22:08, joop.nijenhuis@hccnet.nl wrote:
    > I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    > camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    > formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    > the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    > so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    > file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    > exif information and today's modern dlsr's.

    Exif hasn't changed since 2002 and GIMP 2.2.8 is code from mid 2005.
    What is a "modern" DLSR for you? Mine is a year old and I can load all
    pictures it produces in GIMP. Friends also have newer cameras and I can
    view all their pictures...
    As you are thinking of compiling GIMP: are you aware that it consists of
    or depends on code from about 20 different libraries, and that for GIMP
    2.4 you would need versions that nobody before has managed to compile
    on OS/2?

    Peter.

  7. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On 04/23/08 10:17 am, Joop.Nijenhuis@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 23 apr, 10:51, "Alex Taylor" wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:08:11 UTC, joop.nijenh...@hccnet.nl wrote:
    >>> I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    >>> camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    >>> formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    >>> the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    >>> so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    >>> file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    >>> exif information and today's modern dlsr's.
    >>> Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    >>> possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

    >> As far as I know, 2.2.8 _is_ the latest level for OS/2.

    > to Alex Taylor
    > Thanks for your replay, I did know that 2.2.8 is the latest level for
    > OS/2. That was not the question. If I'm right you compiled 2.2.8 for
    > OS/2. In later version for other OS'es the bug with exif information
    > seemed solved. So why not compile the latest (2.4.?) for OS/2 or
    > eComStation? If thats a problem for you than I'm willing to do so, but
    > you have to tell me what you did or give the sources for the 2.2.8 for
    > OS/2 and the orginal so I can see what you did.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joop

    Alex just packaged Gimp in a nice way. Frank compiled the latest OS/2
    version of the Gimp as well as the latest versions of XFree/2.
    Dave

  8. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    Joop.Nijenhuis@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 23 apr, 11:33, Frank Giessler wrote:
    >> joop.nijenh...@hccnet.nl wrote:
    >>> To Alex Taylor
    >>> I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    >>> camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    >>> formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    >>> the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    >>> so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    >>> file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    >>> exif information and today's modern dlsr's.
    >>> Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    >>> possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

    >> I'm not promising anything, but can you send me a picture you're unable
    >> to load?
    >>
    >> Frank.

    > I've tried several options on several installations, all with same
    > results. As soon as the jpeg is saved without the exif information
    > than the Gimp has no problems. I see no point in sending a picture.

    OK.

    > Also other packages under Windows did upgrade because of the extended
    > exif information in the latest dslr's.

  9. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:17:20 UTC, Joop.Nijenhuis@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > Is it possible to update the Gimp to latest level? and if this is not
    > > > possible for the moment I'm willing to do so if you tell me how.

    > > As far as I know, 2.2.8 _is_ the latest level for OS/2.

    > Thanks for your replay, I did know that 2.2.8 is the latest level for
    > OS/2. That was not the question. If I'm right you compiled 2.2.8 for
    > OS/2. In later version for other OS'es the bug with exif information
    > seemed solved. So why not compile the latest (2.4.?) for OS/2 or
    > eComStation? If thats a problem for you than I'm willing to do so, but
    > you have to tell me what you did or give the sources for the 2.2.8 for
    > OS/2 and the orginal so I can see what you did.

    See Dave's reply. Frank's the guy you want to talk to.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  10. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On 23 apr, 22:01, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    > On 22.04.08 22:08, joop.nijenh...@hccnet.nl wrote:
    >
    > > I do have trouble in loading pictures strait from modern digital
    > > camera's with jpeg file format. With PMView I saved them in other
    > > formats and those are loaded by the Gimp. As soon as I want to load
    > > the original jpg file I get the error that the plugin was unable to do
    > > so. In PMView I saved a jpg file without exif information and this
    > > file will be loaded by the Gimp. So it seems that there is a bug with
    > > exif information and today's modern dlsr's.

    > Exif hasn't changed since 2002 and GIMP 2.2.8 is code from mid 2005.
    > What is a "modern" DLSR for you? Mine is a year old and I can load all
    > pictures it produces in GIMP. Friends also have newer cameras and I can
    > view all their pictures...
    > As you are thinking of compiling GIMP: are you aware that it consists of
    > or depends on code from about 20 different libraries, and that for GIMP
    > 2.4 you would need versions that nobody before has managed to compile
    > on OS/2?
    >
    > Peter.

    Thanks Peter for your replay. Modern DSLR's Nikon D300/D3, Olympus
    E-3, Pentax ?

    No, I'm not aware, but it will not hold me. Everytime it will be the
    first time. That's not an excuse. After all that processor doesn't
    know anything about Windows, Linux, Dos or OS/2. So whats the problem?
    When its everytime the same it might be automated. Think its important
    that eComStation have to stay at level to be attractive and its the
    only quarantee it will stay alive.

    Joop

  11. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On 24 apr, 08:54, Frank Giessler wrote:
    > Joop.Nijenh...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> I'm not promising anything, but can you send me a picture you're unable
    > >> to load?

    > >> Frank.

    > > I've tried several options on several installations, all with same
    > > results. As soon as the jpeg is saved without the exif information
    > > than the Gimp has no problems. I see no point in sending a picture.

    > OK.
    >
    > > Also other packages under Windows did upgrade because of the extended
    > > exif information in the latest dslr's.

    Frank, seems I've to talk to you, didn't know you was the guy. If you
    want an picture for analysing, thats fine with me, but I need an adres
    where I can upload that picture.
    How bad is it to compile it to X-windows or OS/2? Did test a picture
    with the program rdjpgcom.exe and that program had no problems reading
    the file. So I think its in the piping of data where its going wrong.
    but I could be wrong because I don't know where the message is
    generated and by what part of the program.

    Regards,
    Joop

  12. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    On 25 apr, 11:24, "Alex Taylor" wrote:

    > > > As far as I know, 2.2.8 _is_ the latest level for OS/2.

    > > Thanks for your replay, I did know that 2.2.8 is the latest level for
    > > OS/2. That was not the question. If I'm right you compiled 2.2.8 for
    > > OS/2. In later version for other OS'es the bug with exif information
    > > seemed solved. So why not compile the latest (2.4.?) for OS/2 or
    > > eComStation? If thats a problem for you than I'm willing to do so, but
    > > you have to tell me what you did or give the sources for the 2.2.8 for
    > > OS/2 and the orginal so I can see what you did.

    > See Dave's reply. Frank's the guy you want to talk to.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > Fukushima, Japanhttp://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00
    >
    > Please take off hat when replying.

    Alex, thanks for your reply.

  13. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    Joop.Nijenhuis@gmail.com wrote:
    > Frank, seems I've to talk to you, didn't know you was the guy. If you
    > want an picture for analysing, thats fine with me, but I need an adres
    > where I can upload that picture.

    Try to send it as an attachment to my email address first. If that
    fails, maybe I can download it somewhere?

    > How bad is it to compile it to X-windows or OS/2? Did test a picture
    > with the program rdjpgcom.exe and that program had no problems reading
    > the file. So I think its in the piping of data where its going wrong.
    > but I could be wrong because I don't know where the message is
    > generated and by what part of the program.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joop

  14. Re: Gimp 2.2.8 unable to load jpeg files with exif information

    Frank Giessler wrote:
    > Joop.Nijenhuis@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Frank, seems I've to talk to you, didn't know you was the guy. If you
    >> want an picture for analysing, thats fine with me, but I need an adres
    >> where I can upload that picture.

    > Try to send it as an attachment to my email address first. If that
    > fails, maybe I can download it somewhere?

    Get the new libexif-0.6.16.zip from hobbes. This should fix your problem.

    Regards,
    Frank.

+ Reply to Thread