Showing Drive Label - OS2

This is a discussion on Showing Drive Label - OS2 ; This might be wishful thinking, but is it possible to have the desktop Drives folder show the drive label as well as the drive letter? Peter...

  1. Showing Drive Label

    This might be wishful thinking, but is it possible to have the desktop
    Drives folder show the drive label as well as the drive letter?
    Peter

  2. Re: Showing Drive Label

    On 20.04.08 22:48, Peter J Seymour wrote:

    > is it possible to have the desktop Drives folder show the drive
    > label as well as the drive letter?

    You can simply rename the drive objects. IMO that is better than using
    the somewhere existing extension, because of the overhead from its
    daemon.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  3. Re: Showing Drive Label

    Sir:

    Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    > On 20.04.08 22:48, Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >
    >> is it possible to have the desktop Drives folder show the drive
    >> label as well as the drive letter?

    > You can simply rename the drive objects. IMO that is better than using
    > the somewhere existing extension, because of the overhead from its
    > daemon.

    Which extension? Can see a value for removables.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Showing Drive Label

    On 21.04.08 04:39, William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    >
    >> On 20.04.08 22:48, Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >>
    >>> is it possible to have the desktop Drives folder show the drive
    >>> label as well as the drive letter?

    >> You can simply rename the drive objects. IMO that is better than
    >> using the somewhere existing extension, because of the overhead
    >> from its daemon.

    > Which extension?

    Drive Label Daemon by Daniel Jorge Caetano: Was hard to find, but here
    is it: http://194.231.187.196/file3/gfd/sys/disk/drvl100e.zip

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  5. Re: Showing Drive Label

    Sir:

    Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    > On 21.04.08 04:39, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

    >>> You can simply rename the drive objects. IMO that is better than
    >>> using the somewhere existing extension, because of the overhead
    >>> from its daemon.

    >> Which extension?

    > Drive Label Daemon by Daniel Jorge Caetano: Was hard to find, but here
    > is it: http://194.231.187.196/file3/gfd/sys/disk/drvl100e.zip

    Yes, he is the Brazilian who wrote PM Download Center (with a
    cat-jaguar-face icon), before someone else named their program to the
    same name. Got it, thanks.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: Showing Drive Label

    Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    > On 21.04.08 04:39, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >

    >>Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

    >>>You can simply rename the drive objects. IMO that is better than
    >>>using the somewhere existing extension, because of the overhead
    >>>from its daemon.

    >>Which extension?

    > Drive Label Daemon by Daniel Jorge Caetano: Was hard to find, but here
    > is it: http://194.231.187.196/file3/gfd/sys/disk/drvl100e.zip

    Seems to work fine. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.
    The issue for me is that I have just upgraded from Windows 98 to XP on
    this dual boot machine and XP assigns drive letters differently to OS/2.
    The way to minimise confusion is for OS/2 to display the drive labels as
    well as XP (XP does automatically). The daemon overhead (is there really
    much?) is not an issue on this client workstation.
    Thanks
    Peter

  7. Re: Showing Drive Label

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

    >>> Which extension?

    >> Drive Label Daemon by Daniel Jorge Caetano: Was hard to find, but here
    >> is it: http://194.231.187.196/file3/gfd/sys/disk/drvl100e.zip
    >>

    > Seems to work fine. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.
    > The issue for me is that I have just upgraded from Windows 98 to XP on
    > this dual boot machine and XP assigns drive letters differently to OS/2.
    > The way to minimise confusion is for OS/2 to display the drive labels as
    > well as XP (XP does automatically). The daemon overhead (is there really
    > much?) is not an issue on this client workstation.
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    Spoke too soon. There is a minor error I can live with. If the CD
    drive(s) are un-occupied, the label shown is that of the nearest
    previous occupied device in the sequence.
    I will see if the author is still working on the package.
    Peter

  8. Re: Showing Drive Label

    In , on 04/22/08
    at 11:26 AM, Peter Brown said:

    >I'll report the above to the author as well and ask if there is any
    >chance of a fix/update.

    He can be found at:

    http://www.caetano.eng.br/main/index.php?l=en

    Nelson

    Nelson M. G. Santiago

  9. Re: Showing Drive Label

    Hi

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > Peter J Seymour wrote:
    >> Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

    >>> Drive Label Daemon by Daniel Jorge Caetano: Was hard to find, but here
    >>> is it: http://194.231.187.196/file3/gfd/sys/disk/drvl100e.zip
    >>>

    >> Seems to work fine. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.
    >> The issue for me is that I have just upgraded from Windows 98 to XP on
    >> this dual boot machine and XP assigns drive letters differently to OS/2.
    >> The way to minimise confusion is for OS/2 to display the drive labels
    >> as well as XP (XP does automatically). The daemon overhead (is there
    >> really much?) is not an issue on this client workstation.
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

    > Spoke too soon. There is a minor error I can live with. If the CD
    > drive(s) are un-occupied, the label shown is that of the nearest
    > previous occupied device in the sequence.
    > I will see if the author is still working on the package.
    > Peter

    My experience is slightly different:-

    If the CD devices are unoccupied then the labels for both devices *was*
    [No label] - but only after initial installation. Once a CD device gets
    a disc with a label inserted that 1st label seems to stick.

    Both CD devices here currently show the volume label of the disc
    inserted ie V:[ecs20rc4] and W:[bootablecd]. When I eject V: followed by
    W: the labels changed to [ecs20rc4] for both devices. Maybe this is
    because the [ecs20rc4] disc had been previously used in the W: CD drive...

    Interestingly attaching a USB drive will give both those CD devices the
    same drive label as the USB drive - the USB drive may not display a
    label for a while. With both CD devices empty and both displaying
    [ecs20rc4] I attached a 128Mb USB Pen drive. When the Drives folder
    eventually refreshed to show all labels I had:-
    P:[peter01]
    V:[peter01]
    W:[peter01]

    After ejecting the USB (P:[peter01]) drive the (empty) CD drive labels
    revert to:-
    V:[ecs20rc4]
    W:[ecs20rc4]

    I suspect that the software was written "pre-USB" support on OS/2 and
    may need updating to differentiate between removeable types - if that is
    possible.

    I'll report the above to the author as well and ask if there is any
    chance of a fix/update.

    Regards

    Pete

  10. Re: Showing Drive Label

    Hi Nelson

    Nelson M. G. Santiago wrote:
    > In , on 04/22/08
    > at 11:26 AM, Peter Brown said:
    >

    >> I'll report the above to the author as well and ask if there is any
    >> chance of a fix/update.

    > He can be found at:
    >
    > http://www.caetano.eng.br/main/index.php?l=en
    >

    > Nelson

    > Nelson M. G. Santiago

    Thank You.

    Having sent an email and just had it returned "address unknown" I was
    going to Google to see if the author was still around somewhere.

    Checking back here 1st it looks like you have saved me the trouble :-)

    Regards

    Pete

  11. Re: Showing Drive Label

    In , on 04/23/08
    at 07:03 PM, Peter Brown said:

    >Thank You.

    You're welcome.

    I informed him about the posts and he told me that you already had got
    in touch with him.

    Regards
    Nelson

    Nelson M. G. Santiago

  12. Re: Showing Drive Label

    Hi Nelson

    Nelson M. G. Santiago wrote:
    > In , on 04/23/08
    > at 07:03 PM, Peter Brown said:
    >

    >> Thank You.

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > I informed him about the posts and he told me that you already had got
    > in touch with him.
    >
    > Regards
    > Nelson

    > Nelson M. G. Santiago

    I have received a response from Daniel stating that he will look into
    fixing "these small, annoying problems" in the future :-)

    Pete

  13. Re: Showing Drive Label

    In , on 04/20/2008
    at 09:48 PM, Peter J Seymour said:

    >This might be wishful thinking, but is it possible to have the desktop
    >Drives folder show the drive label as well as the drive letter?

    If nothing else, you can use the LABEL command or the REXX function
    SysDriveInfo(drive) to get the label.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread