Putting second bootmanager partition - OS2

This is a discussion on Putting second bootmanager partition - OS2 ; I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to do it using fdisk? The purpose: I need to swap drives on ...

  1. Putting second bootmanager partition

    I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition
    to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to
    do it using fdisk?

    The purpose: I need to swap drives on the system. If I could put the
    second BM on the second (actually fourth, but it does not matter much
    ;-) drive, I could just swap the drives, and still get a bootable
    system. Otherwise I need to initiate a floppy boot to install BM
    after the swap...

    Exact configuration: I want to rotate hard disks:

    1 - remove
    2 to 1
    3 to 2
    4 to 3

    with minimal amount of switching the cables.

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition
    > to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to
    > do it using fdisk?
    >
    > The purpose: I need to swap drives on the system. If I could put the
    > second BM on the second (actually fourth, but it does not matter much
    > ;-) drive, I could just swap the drives, and still get a bootable
    > system. Otherwise I need to initiate a floppy boot to install BM
    > after the swap...
    >
    > Exact configuration: I want to rotate hard disks:
    >
    > 1 - remove
    > 2 to 1
    > 3 to 2
    > 4 to 3
    >
    > with minimal amount of switching the cables.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

    I do it by disconnecting the first drive and using the install cd

  3. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:03:52 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition
    > to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to
    > do it using fdisk?

    Easy, and I describe it here:

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html

    (about 70% of the way down, under 'Finding space for Boot Manager).

    Essentially, fill up all of the four partition slots on the first drive,
    then install Boot Manager. Then delete the fillers on the first drive.
    euthanasia recommended. ]

  4. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:03:52 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    > I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition
    > to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to
    > do it using fdisk?

    Remove BootManager from the current disk - then you can put it on another
    disk. If this is an old non-lvm system, I'm not sure it will accept the 4'th
    disk though.
    I would however download DFSee, and use that to put BootManager
    on all the disks you like. Then you don't have to worry next time ;-)

    --
    Allan.

    It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
    than to open it, and remove all doubt.

  5. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-tZdMDwXdYVU7@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition
    > > to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to
    > > do it using fdisk?

    > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html
    >
    > (about 70% of the way down, under 'Finding space for Boot Manager).
    >
    > Essentially, fill up all of the four partition slots on the first drive,
    > then install Boot Manager. Then delete the fillers on the first drive.

    Thanks, will try it. But when I think of it more, what will happen
    with boot manager boot letters when I rotate the drives?

    E.g., I ask boot manager to boot disk d:, which is the second
    partition on the first (=the other, non-BM) drive. I rotate the
    drives (which are more or less copies of each other); would it still
    boot the second partition on the first (=the BM) drive?

    Yours,
    Ilya

  6. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:29:55 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    > Bob Eager
    > ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-tZdMDwXdYVU7@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > > I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition
    > > > to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to
    > > > do it using fdisk?

    > > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html
    > >
    > > (about 70% of the way down, under 'Finding space for Boot Manager).
    > >
    > > Essentially, fill up all of the four partition slots on the first drive,
    > > then install Boot Manager. Then delete the fillers on the first drive.

    > Thanks, will try it. But when I think of it more, what will happen
    > with boot manager boot letters when I rotate the drives?
    >
    > E.g., I ask boot manager to boot disk d:, which is the second
    > partition on the first (=the other, non-BM) drive. I rotate the
    > drives (which are more or less copies of each other); would it still
    > boot the second partition on the first (=the BM) drive?

    The actual drive lettering will depend on the physical drive order
    (since you are using FDISK, not LVM). Standard stuff; primary partitions
    on drives 0, 1, 2, etc... first, then logical partitions likewise.

    The location of BM doesn't affect this; e.g, if BM is on drive 1 instead
    of drive 0, nothing changes.

    This is better understood if you realise how BM on a second drive works.
    The boot sector on the first drive looks first for an active partition
    on the first drive (drive 0). If not found, it looks for a BM partition
    on drive 1. If the latter is found, it just loads it and runs it; it has
    no knowledge of which drive it is loaded from.

    euthanasia recommended. ]

  7. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-lURx99iSP4cG@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > Thanks, will try it. But when I think of it more, what will happen
    > > with boot manager boot letters when I rotate the drives?
    > >
    > > E.g., I ask boot manager to boot disk d:, which is the second
    > > partition on the first (=the other, non-BM) drive. I rotate the
    > > drives (which are more or less copies of each other); would it still
    > > boot the second partition on the first (=the BM) drive?

    > The actual drive lettering will depend on the physical drive order
    > (since you are using FDISK, not LVM). Standard stuff; primary partitions
    > on drives 0, 1, 2, etc... first, then logical partitions likewise.

    > This is better understood if you realise how BM on a second drive works.
    > The boot sector on the first drive looks first for an active partition
    > on the first drive (drive 0). If not found, it looks for a BM partition
    > on drive 1. If the latter is found, it just loads it and runs it; it has
    > no knowledge of which drive it is loaded from.

    AFAIU, this is irrelevant. The question is, essentially, how the
    information is stored: as "this boot info is for e:", or as "this boot
    info is for partition 14 on drive 2".

    This should not be very important if partitions tables on swapped
    drives are identical. But what bothers me is that the partition
    tables may lead to identical drive letter assignments (as is my
    indention), but still be not identical (AFAIU, the order of partitions
    in the partition table is not related to their order on disk)...

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  8. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:01:58 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    > Bob Eager
    > ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-lURx99iSP4cG@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > > Thanks, will try it. But when I think of it more, what will happen
    > > > with boot manager boot letters when I rotate the drives?
    > > >
    > > > E.g., I ask boot manager to boot disk d:, which is the second
    > > > partition on the first (=the other, non-BM) drive. I rotate the
    > > > drives (which are more or less copies of each other); would it still
    > > > boot the second partition on the first (=the BM) drive?

    > > The actual drive lettering will depend on the physical drive order
    > > (since you are using FDISK, not LVM). Standard stuff; primary partitions
    > > on drives 0, 1, 2, etc... first, then logical partitions likewise.

    > > This is better understood if you realise how BM on a second drive works.
    > > The boot sector on the first drive looks first for an active partition
    > > on the first drive (drive 0). If not found, it looks for a BM partition
    > > on drive 1. If the latter is found, it just loads it and runs it; it has
    > > no knowledge of which drive it is loaded from.

    > AFAIU, this is irrelevant. The question is, essentially, how the
    > information is stored: as "this boot info is for e:", or as "this boot
    > info is for partition 14 on drive 2".

    Not really. If you reinstall Boot Manager, you'll have to re-enter that
    stuff anyway.

    euthanasia recommended. ]

  9. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    Bob Eager
    ], who wrote in article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-Kw9Hcdj7M2rJ@rikki.tavi.co.uk>:
    > > > This is better understood if you realise how BM on a second drive works.
    > > > The boot sector on the first drive looks first for an active partition
    > > > on the first drive (drive 0). If not found, it looks for a BM partition
    > > > on drive 1. If the latter is found, it just loads it and runs it; it has
    > > > no knowledge of which drive it is loaded from.

    > > AFAIU, this is irrelevant. The question is, essentially, how the
    > > information is stored: as "this boot info is for e:", or as "this boot
    > > info is for partition 14 on drive 2".

    > Not really. If you reinstall Boot Manager, you'll have to re-enter that
    > stuff anyway.

    Do not see how your remark may be relevant. Remember that my question
    is related to what happens during disk rotation, not a move of BM from
    one disk to another.

    Yours,
    Ilya

  10. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:01:37 UTC, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    > Bob Eager
    > > >
    > > > AFAIU, this is irrelevant. The question is, essentially, how the
    > > > information is stored: as "this boot info is for e:", or as "this boot
    > > > info is for partition 14 on drive 2".

    > > Not really. If you reinstall Boot Manager, you'll have to re-enter that
    > > stuff anyway.

    > Do not see how your remark may be relevant. Remember that my question
    > is related to what happens during disk rotation, not a move of BM from
    > one disk to another.

    Never mind.
    euthanasia recommended. ]

  11. Re: Putting second bootmanager partition

    Ilya Zakharevich
    ], who wrote in article :
    > I vaguely remember that there was a way to put a bootmanager partition
    > to the second drive (even if one has one on the first drive). How to
    > do it using fdisk?
    >
    > The purpose: I need to swap drives on the system. If I could put the
    > second BM on the second (actually fourth, but it does not matter much
    > ;-) drive, I could just swap the drives, and still get a bootable
    > system. Otherwise I need to initiate a floppy boot to install BM
    > after the swap...
    >
    > Exact configuration: I want to rotate hard disks:
    >
    > 1 - remove
    > 2 to 1
    > 3 to 2
    > 4 to 3
    >
    > with minimal amount of switching the cables.

    The replies show that there is no simple solution (suggested
    alternatives either invalidate disk1, or need a CD which is not
    available with 4 HDs). I just digged out the floppies, and went the
    checked route:

    a) remove power cord from disk1;
    b) boot from floppies, put a BM on disk2;
    c) check that the system boots (from the main and emergency partitions ;-);
    d) rotate Master/Slave jumpers and/or IDE cables;
    e) check that the system boots (from the main and emergency partitions ;-);
    f) physically remove disk1.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread