Support network adatapter - OS2

This is a discussion on Support network adatapter - OS2 ; I am looking for some suggestion to buy a network adapter supported on ecomstation RC4. I am looking for a new network adapter available off the shelf. Regards, max...

  1. Support network adatapter

    I am looking for some suggestion to buy a network adapter supported on
    ecomstation RC4.
    I am looking for a new network adapter available off the shelf.

    Regards, max

  2. Re: Support network adatapter

    On 14 Сав, 21:00, maxi.campagn...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am looking for some suggestion to buy a network adapter supported on
    > ecomstation RC4.
    > I am looking for a new network adapter available off the shelf.

    123 reports:
    http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?a...ry&section=net

    Attention! Realtek 8168 is not so good as described in the database.
    it works with Genmac 2.2 (?) in SMP APIC.

  3. Re: Support network adatapter

    eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    > On 14 Сав, 21:00, maxi.campagn...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I am looking for some suggestion to buy a network adapter supported on
    >> ecomstation RC4.
    >> I am looking for a new network adapter available off the shelf.

    > 123 reports:
    > http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?a...ry&section=net
    >
    > Attention! Realtek 8168 is not so good as described in the database.
    > it works with Genmac 2.2 (?) in SMP APIC.

    Intel gigabit isn't stellar also. One needs to use older drivers (v
    3.62, supplied with eCS 1.2MR) to get it working at all (as the newer
    drivers v4.12, from 2005, fairly old, too, hardly work at all), and
    still there are quite dropdowns in transfer speeds, and the peaks of the
    steady trasfers are never at the speed of gigabit - my OS/2 NFS
    connection reports 1.2M/s - 7M/s throughput on long enough files (over
    200M).

    The intel NIC cards I have on OS/2 is the "INTEL PRO/1000 GT Desktop
    Adapter, PCI"

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  4. Re: Support network adatapter

    MMI schrieb:
    > eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    >> On 14 Сав, 21:00, maxi.campagn...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I am looking for some suggestion to buy a network adapter supported on
    >>> ecomstation RC4.
    >>> I am looking for a new network adapter available off the shelf.

    >> 123 reports:
    >> http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?a...ry&section=net
    >>
    >> Attention! Realtek 8168 is not so good as described in the database.
    >> it works with Genmac 2.2 (?) in SMP APIC.

    > Intel gigabit isn't stellar also. One needs to use older drivers (v
    > 3.62, supplied with eCS 1.2MR) to get it working at all (as the newer
    > drivers v4.12, from 2005, fairly old, too, hardly work at all), and
    > still there are quite dropdowns in transfer speeds, and the peaks of the
    > steady trasfers are never at the speed of gigabit - my OS/2 NFS
    > connection reports 1.2M/s - 7M/s throughput on long enough files (over
    > 200M).

    > The intel NIC cards I have on OS/2 is the "INTEL PRO/1000 GT Desktop
    > Adapter, PCI"

    I can fully confirm your observations with the V3.62 and V4.17 versions
    of the genuine Intel driver E1000.OS2.

    However I am running this Intel Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter [8086:107C]
    completely stable, successful and fast with GenMAC 2.2 in unsupported mode.

    Kind regards,
    Herwig

  5. Re: Support network adatapter

    Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
    > MMI schrieb:
    >> eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    >>>

    >>> 123 reports:
    >>> http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?a...ry&section=net
    >>>
    >>> Attention! Realtek 8168 is not so good as described in the database.
    >>> it works with Genmac 2.2 (?) in SMP APIC.

    >> Intel gigabit isn't stellar also. One needs to use older drivers (v
    >> 3.62, supplied with eCS 1.2MR) to get it working at all (as the newer
    >> drivers v4.12, from 2005, fairly old, too, hardly work at all), and
    >> still there are quite dropdowns in transfer speeds, and the peaks of
    >> the steady trasfers are never at the speed of gigabit - my OS/2 NFS
    >> connection reports 1.2M/s - 7M/s throughput on long enough files (over
    >> 200M).

    >> The intel NIC cards I have on OS/2 is the "INTEL PRO/1000 GT Desktop
    >> Adapter, PCI"

    > I can fully confirm your observations with the V3.62 and V4.17 versions
    > of the genuine Intel driver E1000.OS2.
    >
    > However I am running this Intel Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter [8086:107C]
    > completely stable, successful and fast with GenMAC 2.2 in unsupported mode.

    Nice indeed, and worth trying. I miss the performance of the RTL8139
    version "3.23vk" drivers. What does "unsupported mode" mean?

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  6. Re: Support network adatapter

    MMI schrieb:
    > Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
    >> MMI schrieb:

    >>> Intel gigabit isn't stellar also. One needs to use older drivers (v
    >>> 3.62, supplied with eCS 1.2MR) to get it working at all (as the newer
    >>> drivers v4.12, from 2005, fairly old, too, hardly work at all), and
    >>> still there are quite dropdowns in transfer speeds, and the peaks of
    >>> the steady trasfers are never at the speed of gigabit - my OS/2 NFS
    >>> connection reports 1.2M/s - 7M/s throughput on long enough files
    >>> (over 200M).

    >>> The intel NIC cards I have on OS/2 is the "INTEL PRO/1000 GT Desktop
    >>> Adapter, PCI"

    >> I can fully confirm your observations with the V3.62 and V4.17
    >> versions of the genuine Intel driver E1000.OS2.
    >>
    >> However I am running this Intel Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
    >> [8086:107C] completely stable, successful and fast with GenMAC 2.2 in
    >> unsupported mode.

    > Nice indeed, and worth trying. I miss the performance of the RTL8139
    > version "3.23vk" drivers. What does "unsupported mode" mean?

    You have to get on to the genmac mailing list (also available via
    news://gmane.org.netlabs.genmac.user) in order to find instructions how
    to do that.

    I offered to provide a cookbook for that process at the GenMac wiki, but
    for reasons not fully understandable to me, the people behind GenMAC do
    not want that such a cookbook exists, so you have to dig through the
    newgroup/mailing list... Everything's there, but scattered and not
    organized.

    Kind regards,
    Herwig

  7. Re: Support network adatapter

    MMI schrieb:
    > Nice indeed, and worth trying. I miss the performance of the RTL8139
    > version "3.23vk" drivers.

    I've used RTL8139 cards for years and they worked flawless and fast (full
    100Mbit speed without significant cpu load) with Veit's driver all the time.
    I've no problems with 3Com cards too. Nativ broadcom driver (100Base-TX) in my
    thinkpad works too without problems, but you would hardly find a network card
    with that chip.

    The 8168 (8111) drivers are a completly different story. Troubles for months
    till I switched from nativ driver to genmac2.2. Now with genmac the network of
    this computer works rather good. But there are a few problems left. But I cann't
    say for sure if they are RTL8111 or Genmac related or from whatever. So no clear
    recommendation for this chip.

    Greetings,
    Andi

  8. Re: Support network adatapter

    Andi B. wrote:
    > MMI schrieb:
    >> Nice indeed, and worth trying. I miss the performance of the RTL8139
    >> version "3.23vk" drivers.

    > I've used RTL8139 cards for years and they worked flawless and fast
    > (full 100Mbit speed without significant cpu load) with Veit's driver all
    > the time. I've no problems with 3Com cards too. Nativ broadcom driver
    > (100Base-TX) in my thinkpad works too without problems, but you would
    > hardly find a network card with that chip.

    Well, ummm, I had the broadcom driver for the 440 chipset until I
    installed the old nfs300.ifs (I use it to access the exported shares
    from my Linux box), and found out that I can do everything, except
    transferring files *to* the share. Transfer back was quick, I could
    create directories, but on the writing it just hung. So I put the
    surplus 8139 card into the machine and it worked perfectly.

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  9. Re: Support network adatapter

    MMI schrieb am 15.04.08 00.15:
    > Intel gigabit isn't stellar also. One needs to use older drivers (v
    > 3.62, supplied with eCS 1.2MR) to get it working at all (as the newer
    > drivers v4.12, from 2005, fairly old, too, hardly work at all), and
    > still there are quite dropdowns in transfer speeds, and the peaks of the
    > steady trasfers are never at the speed of gigabit - my OS/2 NFS
    > connection reports 1.2M/s - 7M/s throughput on long enough files (over
    > 200M).
    >
    > The intel NIC cards I have on OS/2 is the "INTEL PRO/1000 GT Desktop
    > Adapter, PCI"

    I have a "INTEL PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter, PCI" too and there are some
    problems (like connection not working sometimes). Maybe v3.62 would
    help?

    But where can I find v3.62? Through google I found some older and newer
    versions but not 3.62. I don't have eCS but my e-mail adress is valid
    :-)

    Regards
    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread