DOSBOX and saved files - OS2

This is a discussion on DOSBOX and saved files - OS2 ; I have a weird problem with DOSBOX (0.72). I was playing an old DOS game, originally using the OS/2 DOS fullscreen. But after a while, I tried switching to DOSBOX. It works OK, but it's a lot slower, and every ...

  1. DOSBOX and saved files

    I have a weird problem with DOSBOX (0.72).

    I was playing an old DOS game, originally using the OS/2 DOS fullscreen.
    But after a while, I tried switching to DOSBOX. It works OK, but it's
    a lot slower, and every now and then DOSBOX simply hangs. (Which means I
    have to be careful to save my game very often.)

    However, when I tried to switch back to using the regular OS/2 DOS
    fullscreen, I found that none of the games I saved when playing under
    DOSBOX would load.

    Using the exact same executables, the save files load fine when the game
    is run under DOSBOX. However, they don't load when the game is run under
    OS/2 DOS (the game simply refuses to load them, without giving any reason).

    This is particularly weird, because it works fine in the other direction:
    save files created when the game is run under OS/2 DOS load fine in DOSBOX.

    The only explanation I can think of is that DOSBOX somehow causes the
    file format to be slightly different. But why? And how can I fix these
    files? I'd really like to be able to go back to playing the game under OS/2
    DOS, which is faster and more stable. But with all my saved games created
    under DOSBOX, I'm stuck there.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  2. Re: DOSBOX and saved files

    On 04/11/08 09:16 pm, Alex Taylor wrote:

    > every now and then DOSBOX simply hangs.

    I see that too - keyboard and mouse inputs stop working, but hotkeys
    like Alt+Home and Alt+End (was that the force exit one? I forget) work
    fine. I think it's more of an SDL problem than a DOSBox problem, as I
    see the same with Battle for Wesnoth.

    > However, when I tried to switch back to using the regular OS/2 DOS
    > fullscreen, I found that none of the games I saved when playing under
    > DOSBOX would load.

    I'm not sure how much it will help, but you don't mention what game!

  3. Re: DOSBOX and saved files

    On 04/11/08 09:16 pm, Alex Taylor wrote:
    > I have a weird problem with DOSBOX (0.72).
    >
    > I was playing an old DOS game, originally using the OS/2 DOS fullscreen.
    > But after a while, I tried switching to DOSBOX. It works OK, but it's
    > a lot slower, and every now and then DOSBOX simply hangs. (Which means I
    > have to be careful to save my game very often.)
    >
    > However, when I tried to switch back to using the regular OS/2 DOS
    > fullscreen, I found that none of the games I saved when playing under
    > DOSBOX would load.
    >
    > Using the exact same executables, the save files load fine when the game
    > is run under DOSBOX. However, they don't load when the game is run under
    > OS/2 DOS (the game simply refuses to load them, without giving any reason).
    >
    > This is particularly weird, because it works fine in the other direction:
    > save files created when the game is run under OS/2 DOS load fine in DOSBOX.
    >
    > The only explanation I can think of is that DOSBOX somehow causes the
    > file format to be slightly different. But why? And how can I fix these
    > files? I'd really like to be able to go back to playing the game under OS/2
    > DOS, which is faster and more stable. But with all my saved games created
    > under DOSBOX, I'm stuck there.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Almost sounds like a line ending issue, eg LF vs CR+LF. Have you looked
    at the files with a hex viewer or compared them some other way?
    Dave

  4. Re: DOSBOX and saved files

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:50:59 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

    > > The only explanation I can think of is that DOSBOX somehow causes the
    > > file format to be slightly different. But why?

    > Almost sounds like a line ending issue, eg LF vs CR+LF. Have you looked
    > at the files with a hex viewer or compared them some other way?

    I've tried both. All I can say is that the files do seem to be slightly
    different (note that I can't actually guarantee that I've duplicated the
    files perfectly - the best I can do is save the game under the exact same
    circumstances), but I can't see any pattern in it. (They're binary files,
    not text, which makes meaningful comparison rather tricky.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  5. Re: DOSBOX and saved files

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:25:44 UTC, Steve Wendt wrote:

    > > every now and then DOSBOX simply hangs.

    > I see that too - keyboard and mouse inputs stop working, but hotkeys
    > like Alt+Home and Alt+End (was that the force exit one? I forget) work
    > fine. I think it's more of an SDL problem than a DOSBox problem, as I
    > see the same with Battle for Wesnoth.

    Yeah, mouse and keyboard input into DOS totally stop. I can close the
    window, although of course I then lose the contents of the session...
    It seems to happen fairly reliably after about an hour. I should time it,
    come to think of it...

    > > However, when I tried to switch back to using the regular OS/2 DOS
    > > fullscreen, I found that none of the games I saved when playing under
    > > DOSBOX would load.

    > I'm not sure how much it will help, but you don't mention what game!

    Secret of the Silver Blades, an old SSI/D&D computer game.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan
    http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

    Please take off hat when replying.

  6. Re: DOSBOX and saved files

    Hello Alex,

    > Using the exact same executables, the save files load fine when the game
    > is run under DOSBOX. However, they don't load when the game is run under
    > OS/2 DOS (the game simply refuses to load them, without giving any reason).
    >
    > The only explanation I can think of is that DOSBOX somehow causes the
    > file format to be slightly different. But why? And how can I fix these
    > files? I'd really like to be able to go back to playing the game under OS/2
    > DOS, which is faster and more stable. But with all my saved games created
    > under DOSBOX, I'm stuck there.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yes, I tried to access a Psion database which I had build with PsiWin
    version 1.1 with the Win 3.1 freeform database Psidata. After a while
    I wanted to organize the records and so on. Therefore I started DOSbox
    0.72 with the Psion 3a emulator. This runs fine and stable. Altered
    the database with some package which runs on the Psion. After that I
    wanted to load the database in Psidata for adding more records, but
    the database refuses to load. I took an other package for converting
    the database to an other format and this refuses too, but this time it
    did pop up a message with "Please verify security privileges on the
    network drive.". So it looks like some kind of attribute is set that
    it belongs to a networking program.

    Hope this will help a little further, mat be someone can relay the
    message to the developers of DOSbox, I agree, its very annoying.

    Regards
    Joop

+ Reply to Thread