Free software development and expectations - OS2

This is a discussion on Free software development and expectations - OS2 ; Maybe I'm getting carried away on this posting, but alas :-) Do I have experience, everybody has each own experiences in live and some people have more experience then other, but on software development and OS/2 here is my experience. ...

  1. Free software development and expectations

    Maybe I'm getting carried away on this posting, but alas :-)

    Do I have experience, everybody has each own experiences in live and
    some people have more experience then other, but on software development
    and OS/2 here is my experience.

    I have worked for Mensys for close to 7 years and have been very heavly
    involved for some years as president of VOICE, employee of Mensys, to
    some level 4 years in a row heavly involved to start a European OS/2
    event each year and coordinating mountains of software development.

    I posted this already in a different thread ("how we communicate with
    each other in the community"):

    Every person on this planet is unique in his own way. Some people coupe
    better with negative comment then other people. It also just depends on
    how much you get at what moment. How you feel that day etc.

    The main thing is that people who use free software can make sugesstion
    in a constructive way or contribute to help the developer.
    But to bitch something is of bad quality. Basicly you have no right to
    complain if you don't contribute.

    Its free of charge and basicly people say "What a louzy work your doing,
    what a waste of your free time". Thats how it deep down inside ends up
    for the developer doing that work.

    When it comes to the OS/2 community we have to pull the entire OS train
    up the steap inbound. If software development like the development of
    thunderbird and firefox and other software would come to a hold. It
    would be very negative.

    A community is there because there are users and developers. And in this
    case we must understand that its a fact that the amount of free software
    developers for OS/2 has been going downhill partly because of these type
    of accidents. Its for the community to start understanding _NOW_ that in
    many cases they ignore these type warnings.

    So in the end its the community it self that is responsible for an even
    faster demise of there favorite OS then is needed.

    And let me reemphasize this again! OS/2 can continue to be a joy for
    years to use. Depending on the developer, the community has be to blamed
    in a higer or lower degree that free software developers left OS/2,
    because of such negative and unconstructive comments. I'm not talking
    about any people specific (developer or end user), just in genereal its
    time to understand its time to realy wake up! "
    (end of what I posted).

    TO shout it even louder. No developers, dead of OS/2 will be quicker
    then you think. The developers are not gods, just people. But people we
    can show more gratitude then we do right now!

    Roderick Klein

  2. Re: Free software development and expectations

    Hi Roderick,

    I agree but reality in- and outside of work is telling me that you will
    never be treated fair, or at least what you consider to be fair. You will
    have to continue to receive accusations,provocations etc. from people who
    are just being ignorant or plain mean.

    Personally I have come up with some strategies to mitigate frustration
    experiences:
    1.) Ignore, let barefaced people wear off on you. Eventually, they will lose
    all interest in you.
    2.) Remain polite but clearly state that you either not have the time or
    interest for what barefaced people expect from you. Period. Don't get into
    lengthy conversations.

    Looks like Paul is now thinking into the same direction and I am happy that
    he is taking that route.

    Lars

  3. Re: Free software development and expectations

    Lars Erdmann wrote:
    > Hi Roderick,
    >
    > I agree but reality in- and outside of work is telling me that you will
    > never be treated fair, or at least what you consider to be fair. You will
    > have to continue to receive accusations,provocations etc. from people who
    > are just being ignorant or plain mean.
    >
    > Personally I have come up with some strategies to mitigate frustration
    > experiences:
    > 1.) Ignore, let barefaced people wear off on you. Eventually, they will lose
    > all interest in you.
    > 2.) Remain polite but clearly state that you either not have the time or
    > interest for what barefaced people expect from you. Period. Don't get into
    > lengthy conversations.
    >
    > Looks like Paul is now thinking into the same direction and I am happy that
    > he is taking that route.
    >
    > Lars

    Thanks for your comment Lars. To that extend I gues its also the virtual
    barrier of internet that makes people behave differently then in real
    live. Over the last couple of years I'm working as a volenteer in a
    train museum. The big difference you meet people in daily live,
    meeting people face to face gives a complete different behaviour then
    dropping a message over the internet. The difference of meeting people
    at Warpstock for example.

    Most people working on OS/2 are stuburn, just like me :-) But a lot of
    people don't read documentation. The result we have seen in plenty of
    occusions :-(

    I know what I hope people will do is something that will not happen.
    But its time we start behaving differently towards people that develop
    free software for OS/2 because as a community we have paid a high price.
    Loss to many skilled hands...:-(

    Roderick

  4. Re: Free software development and expectations

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:09:45 UTC, Roderick Klein
    wrote:

    > I know what I hope people will do is something that will not happen.
    > But its time we start behaving differently towards people that develop
    > free software for OS/2 because as a community we have paid a high price.
    > Loss to many skilled hands...:-(

    I agree, but it is a two way street. Paul has been, for many years,
    rather, ummm, "unkind", to some users, and reporting a fault, or
    requesting a feature, for his software, almost always invites some
    sort of abuse from him (in fact, it doesn't even have to be his
    software, he still calls people down, usually without explaination,
    when they make comments that he seems to think are not valid).
    Personally, I can live with that, since he does a good service to the
    community, but it does mean that I am inclined to not bother, unless
    it is something important. That, in turn, means that some of his
    software probably isn't as good as it could be, since minor things
    don't get brought to his attention, because people just don't like
    being put down for not knowing how to code their own changes, or for
    not being technically savy enough to be able to describe, exactly,
    what they want/need. I can see why he, and others, get tired of
    answering the same questions, over again, but a simple link to a FAQ,
    is the only reply that is necessary in a case like that (of course,
    there also needs to be a FAQ). It is definitely not necessary to tell
    a user that he is too dumb to use the software, since he can't read
    the docs (sometimes, the docs don't make any sense, unless you
    understand the basic concepts of what they are saying).

    I am thinking, that Paul, and a few others, need to have a person who
    will filter out the stuff that gets to him (as well as what comes from
    him), much like what Thorolf Godawa does for Willibald Meyer, for the
    GENMAC project. Willibald almost never shows up anywhere, and all
    requests, and reports, seem to go through Thorolf, unless Willibald
    needs something specific from someone. It is not an ideal solution,
    but it does seem to be working.

    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  5. Re: Free software development and expectations

    Greetings Roderick-

    Good to read your post this evening.

    Recently I experienced a big Deja Vu. December we dug into a VM implementation for a strategic client. I selected Parallels as our VM product for many reasons, but for sure for one reason that it was
    said it would run OS/2 where VMware can not.

    I was thinking to isolate Windows from the hardware. Stable device drivers in the VM environment... who cares what Microsoft does (aka Vista), contently run vintage Windows in a VM session.

    So I went into the project expecting to use Linux just to run Parallels, and everything else in the VM session.

    I RARELY FIRE UP THE VM SESSION! I discover Linux apps are ripe for usage.

    Finally Gnome makes sense to me... When I first poked a stick at desktop Linux (like 9 years ago now, RH 5.2), KDE won hands down, or I would use some lite weight X environment. Now Gnome seems a bit
    like WPS.

    On Windows I had to use three media players to be able to play most of the videos I have downloaded from various places. Windows media players never did care much for any OS/2 AVI file. HOWEVER,
    Ubuntu likes them just fine! Even knows they are encoded with the IBM UltiMotion codec.

    Using it brought to mind an OS/2 ad by David Barnes: "What do you do while you are waiting for your computer to print, fax...? Have a cup of tea? Now I want to show you OS/2 Warp. It's a terrific
    multitasker. That means you don't have to wait. Doesn't it overload? No. That's amazing that it all goes on at once!"

    I played that ad on Ubuntu while Parallels was running an Windows imaging load process, I had Thunderbird and Firefox up, maybe some other programs. I by no means have a screaming box: P4 2.5 GHz,
    1.5GB RAM, nVidia 6200 card running the nVidia binary drivers.

    So the Deja Vu for me was that old OS/2 ad finally came true... just that it came true with OS/3... aahh hhheeemmm Linux! ;-) What has it been, 13 or 14 years... it has been a LONG wait for that ad to
    come true...

    Any guesses what was the FIRST thing I played with when I got Parallels...

    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/pub/...OS2Notepad.png

    Three days after taking on the VM project, already having success! Here I VM'ized my trusty IBM 300PL PII 350 w/ 512MB RAM. Not too shabby!

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  6. Re: Free software development and expectations

    Hello Rod,

    I've long since let my VOICE subscription lapse, but OS/2 is
    still my primary operating system. Users and developers do
    what they want. I agree that the annonymity of the net
    seems to make people silly.

    Thank you, as well as all of the developers and users,
    that have kept OS/2 alive and viable for so many years!

    David

+ Reply to Thread