Bits and pieces - OS2

This is a discussion on Bits and pieces - OS2 ; It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2: 1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel. 2. Openwatcom is getting wider use. 3. J. deB Pollard has a number of 32-bit replacements ...

  1. Bits and pieces

    It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.
    2. Openwatcom is getting wider use.
    3. J. deB Pollard has a number of 32-bit replacements for 16-bit OS/2 code.
    4. etc.

    Is it possible, despite the lack of motion by the Voyager, OSFREE, and
    FreePM projects, and the inaction by IBM on the open-source petition,
    that eventally an OS/2 replacement will be available?

  2. Re: Bits and pieces

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:33:03 UTC, Peter Flass wrote:

    > It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    > 1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.
    > 2. Openwatcom is getting wider use.
    > 3. J. deB Pollard has a number of 32-bit replacements for 16-bit OS/2 code.
    > 4. etc.
    >
    > Is it possible, despite the lack of motion by the Voyager, OSFREE, and
    > FreePM projects, and the inaction by IBM on the open-source petition,
    > that eventally an OS/2 replacement will be available?

    That's the approach I've been advocating for years.

    Sooner or later, though, it is going to be necessary to tackle some of the
    underpinnings (e.g. Presentation Manager, the kernel, MPTS...).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  3. Re: Bits and pieces

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:33:03 -0500, Peter Flass wrote:

    > It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    > 1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.

    What work and by whom?

  4. Re: Bits and pieces

    Hi Paul,

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:40:07 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:33:03 -0500, Peter Flass wrote:
    >
    > > It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    > > 1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.

    > What work and by whom?

    See
    http://www.os2world.com/component/op...63/topic,734.0
    / - Pavel (ACPI developer) is leading a group working on a new os2ldr.

    I've tested a release and it works

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  5. Re: Bits and pieces

    Paul Smedley wrote:
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:40:07 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:33:03 -0500, Peter Flass wrote:
    >>
    >>> It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    >>> 1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.

    >> What work and by whom?

    > See
    > http://www.os2world.com/component/op...63/topic,734.0
    > / - Pavel (ACPI developer) is leading a group working on a new os2ldr.
    >
    > I've tested a release and it works

    Paul and Paul,

    I think the work Pasha has done is great. However, look at the
    situation we are in now with OS/2-eCS being a closed source operating
    system. The acpi and now this os2ldr project are not open source.

    I guess acpi is a SSI fund project but is the os2ldr project?

    I asked Pasha on the IRC channel why isn't the os2ldr project open
    source and I received a reply about it using the ddk.

    So what?

    Mike

  6. Re: Bits and pieces

    Michael Greene wrote:

    > Paul Smedley wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Paul,
    >>
    >> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:40:07 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    >> wrote:

    >>> What work and by whom?

    >> See
    >> http://www.os2world.com/component/op...63/topic,734.0
    >> / - Pavel (ACPI developer) is leading a group working on a new os2ldr.
    >>
    >> I've tested a release and it works
    >>

    > Paul and Paul,
    >
    > I think the work Pasha has done is great. However, look at the
    > situation we are in now with OS/2-eCS being a closed source operating
    > system. The acpi and now this os2ldr project are not open source.
    >
    > I guess acpi is a SSI fund project but is the os2ldr project?
    >
    > I asked Pasha on the IRC channel why isn't the os2ldr project open
    > source and I received a reply about it using the ddk.
    >
    > So what?

    Hasn't the DDK been released? It was certainly a free download. How
    about DDK2?

  7. Re: Bits and pieces

    Peter Flass schrieb:

    > It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    > 1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.

    Maybe a dump questions,
    but what's wrong with the current OS2LDR and the current kernel ?

    Hendrik

  8. Re: Bits and pieces

    Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    > Peter Flass schrieb:
    >
    >>It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    >>1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.

    > Maybe a dump questions,
    > but what's wrong with the current OS2LDR and the current kernel ?
    >
    > Hendrik

    IMHO, the kernel needs some work to bring it up-to-date. Unfortunately,
    AFAIK, an OS/2 executable, unlike a mainrrame program, can't be relinked
    to replace just one function, or else it should be possible, at least in
    theory, to fix problem bits without needing the complete source. I
    suppose it could be disassembled, for what that's worth, and then rebuilt.

  9. Re: Bits and pieces

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 11:36:14 -0500, Peter Flass wrote:
    > Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    >> Peter Flass schrieb:
    >>
    >>>It seems like a number of pieces are finally coming together for OS/2:
    >>>1. Some work is being done on OS2LDR and the kernel.

    >> Maybe a dump questions,
    >> but what's wrong with the current OS2LDR and the current kernel ?

    > IMHO, the kernel needs some work to bring it up-to-date.

    Like, #1, a 64-bit kernel...

+ Reply to Thread