WordStar 7 - OS/2 DOS-VDM question! - OS2

This is a discussion on WordStar 7 - OS/2 DOS-VDM question! - OS2 ; I really doubt that I'll discover an answer here for this old and odd issue, but I thought I'd ask anyway. WordStar 6 for DOS has never had any issues with OS/2 in a DOS-VDM in a number of places ...

  1. WordStar 7 - OS/2 DOS-VDM question!

    I really doubt that I'll discover an answer here for this old and odd issue,
    but I thought I'd ask anyway.

    WordStar 6 for DOS has never had any issues with OS/2 in a DOS-VDM in a number
    of places I am around that even still use this application.

    However WordStar 7 has a curious issue I have never been able to fix or patch
    around. At times, when you first attempt to open a file the old way by just
    typing in the file name in the fresh opening WS7 program, it will crash OS/2
    with a SYS3170 error. Or instead, will jam WS7 in an endless loop and have to
    be hand closed as a DOS-VDM application the hard way. When that happens, it
    always leaves the intermediate file names for the internal files to be used
    with WS7 in that editing process still present on the disk. Which have to be
    hand removed before you can edit the desired file again.

    This is like .. opening a file TEMP.WST and when it jams, you'll find the
    following files still on the hard drive:

    TEMP.$A$ and TEMP.$B$ or like that.

    For years I have been able to trace this to somehow that WS7 knows what file
    you want to edit, TEMP.WST, but if it starts to do all the actual work to let
    you edit that file, including the needed temporary files, *BEFORE* the complete
    directory for what is to be displayed is actually loaded and displayed for you
    in the WS7 startup screen completely, then *THAT* is what is involved in the
    SYS3170 error or the total jam in a locked loop operation.

    It is very simple to avoid this. Just wait a few seconds for the available
    files you might work screen to pop up as the DOS-VDM loads before you attempt
    to work a file.

    This is *NOT* a problem, as far as I have ever seen, with any form of a SHELL
    CHILD exit issue with a 'given' file to edit with WS7 from a DOS-VDM if you
    choose to do that. It only happens from a simple pure DOS-VDM instance from
    the OS/2 Desktop, then the operator in haste typing in the desire file edit
    name. Simply saying "One thousand - two thousand - three thousand" before you
    punch in the to open the desire file choice is really all you need.

    But a pain in the potamus for real speed no-mouse really adept touch keyboard
    use of all this. And it is a real nag-nag to a touch type keyboard freak like
    myself.

    I've experimented with a number of the WS7 setup options to try to stop this.
    I've never found a solution. I've even tried to deliberately set the OS/2
    cache lazy write and lazy read to off just to see what that might do. It
    doesn't help. Obviously I don't have the WS7 source code to try to see what
    really could be done to fix this. If you get to see the SYS3170 error on this
    here it is:

    02-28-2008 15:58:30 SYS3170 PID 0409 TID 0001 Slot 0092
    C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    fee2fd80
    00000000
    EAX=00006972 EBX=0000ffff ECX=00000003 EDX=00004809
    ESI=00003e9b EDI=00000002
    DS=3d00 DSACC=1092 DSLIM=00010fff
    ES=4780 ESACC=1097 ESLIM=0000f89f
    FS=0000 FSACC=**** FSLIM=********
    GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********
    CS:EIP=2852:0000d5ba CSACC=00ec CSLIM=********
    SS:ESP=3cc0:000003c6 SSACC=1092 SSLIM=00010fff
    EBP=0000091e FLG=000a6202

    But most of the time all you get is an endless loop in WS7 which requires a
    forced kill of the DOS-VDM process and starting over plus cleanup with a batch
    file call for DELETE *.$?$ from a command line in the in-use directory to clean
    this up.

    I'd LOVE to solve this decade old problem. Can anyone here offer any
    suggestions as to what to do to cure this?

    Thanks!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: WordStar 7 - OS/2 DOS-VDM question!

    Have you tried the various DOS options, especially for screen and I/O
    settings ?

    Lars

    "Mike Luther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:47c70c7f$0$4044$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net. ..
> [...]
    > C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    > fee2fd80
    > 00000000
    > EAX=00006972 EBX=0000ffff ECX=00000003 EDX=00004809
    > ESI=00003e9b EDI=00000002
    > DS=3d00 DSACC=1092 DSLIM=00010fff
    > ES=4780 ESACC=1097 ESLIM=0000f89f
    > FS=0000 FSACC=**** FSLIM=********
    > GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********
    > CS:EIP=2852:0000d5ba CSACC=00ec CSLIM=********
    > SS:ESP=3cc0:000003c6 SSACC=1092 SSLIM=00010fff
    > EBP=0000091e FLG=000a6202
    >
    > But most of the time all you get is an endless loop in WS7 which requires
    > a forced kill of the DOS-VDM process and starting over plus cleanup with a
    > batch file call for DELETE *.$?$ from a command line in the in-use
    > directory to clean this up.
    >
    > I'd LOVE to solve this decade old problem. Can anyone here offer any
    > suggestions as to what to do to cure this?

  3. Re: WordStar 7 - OS/2 DOS-VDM question!

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:33:49 UTC, "Lars Erdmann"
    wrote:

> [...]
    > > C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    > > fee2fd80
    > > 00000000
    > > EAX=00006972 EBX=0000ffff ECX=00000003 EDX=00004809
    > > ESI=00003e9b EDI=00000002
    > > DS=3d00 DSACC=1092 DSLIM=00010fff
    > > ES=4780 ESACC=1097 ESLIM=0000f89f
    > > FS=0000 FSACC=**** FSLIM=********
    > > GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********
    > > CS:EIP=2852:0000d5ba CSACC=00ec CSLIM=********
    > > SS:ESP=3cc0:000003c6 SSACC=1092 SSLIM=00010fff
    > > EBP=0000091e FLG=000a6202
    > >
    > > But most of the time all you get is an endless loop in WS7 which requires
    > > a forced kill of the DOS-VDM process and starting over plus cleanup with a
    > > batch file call for DELETE *.$?$ from a command line in the in-use
    > > directory to clean this up.
    > >
    > > I'd LOVE to solve this decade old problem. Can anyone here offer any
    > > suggestions as to what to do to cure this?

    Never had any problems woth WS7, but for documents I gave up on it in
    favor of Papyrus (wish they'd hurry up with that newer version). I keep
    WS4 around for programming because its printer drivers will run my
    Panasonic dot matrix printer in bi-directional mode.

    Pete

    --

  4. Re: WordStar 7 - OS/2 DOS-VDM question!

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:33:26 +0000, Mike Luther wrote:

    > I really doubt that I'll discover an answer here for this old and odd
    > issue, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    >
    > WordStar 6 for DOS has never had any issues with OS/2 in a DOS-VDM in
    > a number of places I am around that even still use this application.

    Sorry, I cannot help you with the problems you listed (below - snipped).
    But, I use WS6 on my Warp box mainly because it prints SO MUCH faster on
    my HP LJ III and HP LJ 4L using their internal fonts. And, I can - if I
    want - get better control of the printer(s) with PCL coding/techniques
    in the document.

    I also use WS6 under `dosemu` in linux. Although, it isn't as
    convenient because of the lack of pass through on certain, semi-
    important key strokes -- ^C for one. But, there are alternate
    techniques in each case. It's just that my 25+ years with WS
    since 3.0 on CP/M 2.2 have my fingers in a rut. :-)

    My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe I attempted to move up to WS 7
    about 15 years ago. "They" were fiddling quite a bit with the UI by
    then (and REALLY screwed it up by WS 2000), and I just couldn't embrace
    the changes. So, it's been WS 6.0 ever since.

    GL,
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux