screen saver redux - OS2

This is a discussion on screen saver redux - OS2 ; I really liked Doodle's, but I think it was responsible for some of the (high-memory?) problems I was having -- eg, not long after running a Java program or eAccounts, I'd start getting failed dll loads, video corruption. (thanks to ...

  1. screen saver redux

    I really liked Doodle's, but I think it was responsible for some of
    the (high-memory?) problems I was having -- eg, not long after running
    a Java program or eAccounts, I'd start getting failed dll loads, video
    corruption. (thanks to Bill Hartzell for the tipoff.)

    at first I just started switching off the monitor, but I kept
    forgetting. now for the moment using Kai Uwe Rommel's Scrutl20, which
    I may have used for a while before. so far, so good, but I've seen
    people report problems. but I wonder if people have experienced more
    joy with the latest Doodle version?

  2. Re: screen saver redux

    Sir:

    rafe wrote:
    > I really liked Doodle's, but I think it was responsible for some of
    > the (high-memory?) problems I was having -- eg, not long after running
    > a Java program or eAccounts, I'd start getting failed dll loads, video
    > corruption. (thanks to Bill Hartzell for the tipoff.)
    >
    > at first I just started switching off the monitor, but I kept
    > forgetting. now for the moment using Kai Uwe Rommel's Scrutl20, which
    > I may have used for a while before. so far, so good, but I've seen
    > people report problems. but I wonder if people have experienced more
    > joy with the latest Doodle version?

    I think there is a bug in some recent updated code. It seems to stomp
    on the in-memory copy of the ini files, which will make the system crash
    or be unable to load programs. Last night, and this is many days after
    I removed the Cairo using versions of Doodle's screen saver & WPS
    Wizard, I had only played a few games and opened SeaMonkey (Peter's
    latest 1.1 branch), when I went to play some more games, the path
    information in the program object of the game was garbage. Shutdown &
    reboot and the system was back to normal. Related to this, Xworkplace
    ini checker code, the stuff that checks the ini files upon shutdown,
    complains that there is a problem with the ini files. If I let it,
    Xworkplace, do anything other than finish shutdown, the ini files are
    toast. I don't think now that the bug is in Cairo, since the SeaMonkey
    1.1.8 code does NOT use Cairo and it is otherwise not present on my
    system. I believe that the in-memory copy of the ini files are kept in
    low shared memory, not high memory.

    Anyone got a candidate?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: screen saver redux

    On 02/27/08 08:06 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > rafe wrote:
    >> I really liked Doodle's, but I think it was responsible for some of
    >> the (high-memory?) problems I was having -- eg, not long after running
    >> a Java program or eAccounts, I'd start getting failed dll loads, video
    >> corruption. (thanks to Bill Hartzell for the tipoff.)
    >>
    >> at first I just started switching off the monitor, but I kept
    >> forgetting. now for the moment using Kai Uwe Rommel's Scrutl20, which
    >> I may have used for a while before. so far, so good, but I've seen
    >> people report problems. but I wonder if people have experienced more
    >> joy with the latest Doodle version?

    > I think there is a bug in some recent updated code. It seems to stomp
    > on the in-memory copy of the ini files, which will make the system crash
    > or be unable to load programs. Last night, and this is many days after
    > I removed the Cairo using versions of Doodle's screen saver& WPS
    > Wizard, I had only played a few games and opened SeaMonkey (Peter's
    > latest 1.1 branch), when I went to play some more games, the path
    > information in the program object of the game was garbage. Shutdown&
    > reboot and the system was back to normal. Related to this, Xworkplace
    > ini checker code, the stuff that checks the ini files upon shutdown,
    > complains that there is a problem with the ini files. If I let it,
    > Xworkplace, do anything other than finish shutdown, the ini files are
    > toast. I don't think now that the bug is in Cairo, since the SeaMonkey
    > 1.1.8 code does NOT use Cairo and it is otherwise not present on my
    > system. I believe that the in-memory copy of the ini files are kept in
    > low shared memory, not high memory.
    >
    > Anyone got a candidate?

    I have been running Doodles screensaver pretty well since the first
    release. I usually get about a week of uptime before Seamonkey or
    something uses up some resource. I get out of memory errors and stuff
    like that and eventually the system will freeze though still capable of
    C-A-D to reboot. I have never had INI file corruption.
    WPS wizard I tested a couple of times and it was very unstable here. WPS
    would keep restarting and eventually fail to restart. I never kept it
    around for long and haven't even tried the last couple of versions.
    I'd suspect WPS wizard.
    Dave

  4. Re: screen saver redux

    rafe wrote:
    > I really liked Doodle's, but I think it was responsible for some of
    > the (high-memory?) problems I was having -- eg, not long after running
    > a Java program or eAccounts, I'd start getting failed dll loads, video
    > corruption. (thanks to Bill Hartzell for the tipoff.)
    >
    > at first I just started switching off the monitor, but I kept
    > forgetting. now for the moment using Kai Uwe Rommel's Scrutl20, which
    > I may have used for a while before. so far, so good, but I've seen
    > people report problems. but I wonder if people have experienced more
    > joy with the latest Doodle version?

    I never use a screen saver, but then I have only my home system to worry
    about. When I'm planning to be away for more than an hour, I generally
    power the PC off. Otherwise, I let the power saving mode take over.

    Leaving the PC powered up needlessly consumes a lot of energy, which not
    only adds to one's electricity bill, but causes more pollution by
    requiring the power plant to produce more electricity and send it down
    the lines.

    I realize that with a PC used in other environments, powering down
    multiple times per day may not be an option, but even then, one can
    usually power down overnight and on weekends.

  5. Re: screen saver redux

    On 28.02.08 05:06, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > I don't think now that the bug is in Cairo, since the SeaMonkey
    > 1.1.8 code does NOT use Cairo and it is otherwise not present on my
    > system.

    It _does_ use cairo, even if only for SVG and Canvas. If you visited a
    site that uses either of them, it might not have been apparent to you.

    Peter.

  6. Re: screen saver redux

    Sir:

    Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    > On 28.02.08 05:06, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> I don't think now that the bug is in Cairo, since the SeaMonkey
    >> 1.1.8 code does NOT use Cairo and it is otherwise not present on my
    >> system.

    > It _does_ use cairo, even if only for SVG and Canvas. If you visited a
    > site that uses either of them, it might not have been apparent to you.

    Oh, I thought that was only SeaMonkey 2 feature. Then it very well
    could be Cairo like Paul R. believes. He says Cairo eats shared memory,
    causing the corruption of the ini files. Is it possible to link the
    Cairo code as private memory objects, maybe high memory objects at that?

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: screen saver redux

    On 03/01/08 04:21 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > Is it possible to link the
    > Cairo code as private memory objects

    Don't know what that means or how to do that.

    > maybe high memory objects at that?

    That is already true for any build that is high-memory enabled, such as
    the one you are using.

    Peter.

  8. Re: screen saver redux

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:21:04 -0600, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:

    > Oh, I thought that was only SeaMonkey 2 feature. Then it very well
    > could be Cairo like Paul R. believes. He says Cairo eats shared memory,
    > causing the corruption of the ini files.

    No I did not. I said INI file problem are often caused by a lack of shared
    memory. I did not say anything about Cairo, for the simple fact that I have
    not tried it.
    Please don't put (potentially inflammatory) words into my mouth.

+ Reply to Thread