New 4gb USB Flash Drive - OS2

This is a discussion on New 4gb USB Flash Drive - OS2 ; I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives but os/2 ...

  1. New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop removable
    drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to be formatted
    with FAT using

    FORMAT F: /FS:FAT

    Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted with
    HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name and
    copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work well.
    However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any ideas?
    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  2. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    > formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    > tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    > but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    > usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    > plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    > would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop removable
    > drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to be formatted
    > with FAT using
    >
    > FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >
    > Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted with
    > HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name and
    > copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work well.
    > However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    > Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    > 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    > to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any
    > ideas?

    I think you need to make it a partitioned media.

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  3. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    > formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    > tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    > but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    > usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    > plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    > would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop removable
    > drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to be formatted
    > with FAT using
    >
    > FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >
    > Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted with
    > HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name and
    > copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work well.
    > However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    > Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    > 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    > to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any
    > ideas?

    I think you need to make it a partitioned media.

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  4. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    Hi David

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    > formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    > tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    > but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    > usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    > plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    > would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop removable
    > drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to be formatted
    > with FAT using
    >
    > FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >
    > Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted with
    > HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name and
    > copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work well.
    > However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    > Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    > 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    > to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any
    > ideas?

    I recently got a 4Gb Rundisk 2.0 USB pen drive thingy.

    No problems attaching it but it could not be written to - and there was
    nothing on it to try reading.

    Looking at it using LVM it was displayed as a large floppy but showed
    only 2Gb as the size.

    I used DFSee www.dfsee.com to create an LVM aware partition and then
    formatted it fat32.

    That worked but later I decided that fat32 was very slow to attach and
    reformatted with JFS. Much faster in use than fat32, attaches almost
    instantly :-)

    Hope the above is of help

    Pete

  5. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    Hi David

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    > formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    > tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    > but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    > usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    > plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    > would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop removable
    > drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to be formatted
    > with FAT using
    >
    > FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >
    > Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted with
    > HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name and
    > copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work well.
    > However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    > Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    > 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    > to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any
    > ideas?

    I recently got a 4Gb Rundisk 2.0 USB pen drive thingy.

    No problems attaching it but it could not be written to - and there was
    nothing on it to try reading.

    Looking at it using LVM it was displayed as a large floppy but showed
    only 2Gb as the size.

    I used DFSee www.dfsee.com to create an LVM aware partition and then
    formatted it fat32.

    That worked but later I decided that fat32 was very slow to attach and
    reformatted with JFS. Much faster in use than fat32, attaches almost
    instantly :-)

    Hope the above is of help

    Pete

  6. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi David
    >
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >> I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    >> formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    >> tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    >> but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    >> usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    >> plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    >> would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop
    >> removable drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to
    >> be formatted with FAT using
    >>
    >> FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >>
    >> Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted
    >> with HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name
    >> and copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work
    >> well. However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    >> Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    >> 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    >> to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any
    >> ideas?

    > I recently got a 4Gb Rundisk 2.0 USB pen drive thingy.
    >
    > No problems attaching it but it could not be written to - and there was
    > nothing on it to try reading.
    >
    > Looking at it using LVM it was displayed as a large floppy but showed
    > only 2Gb as the size.

    That was the way my drive was until I formatted it on Windows with FAT.
    After that, it could be written to by OS/2 and I was able to format it
    with HPFS and 4gb available and reads and writes are fast and no problem.

    > I used DFSee www.dfsee.com to create an LVM aware partition and then
    > formatted it fat32.

    I have an older 1 gb traveldrive that came with a partition that LVM
    recognized out of the box. For some reason, the new drives either come
    with a partition that LVM will only recognize as a floppy or they don't
    have a partition of any kind. Maybe there's something in Windows that
    doesn't tolerate usb flash drives as a hard drive (security?) and the
    newer drives are set up to prevent that.

    > That worked but later I decided that fat32 was very slow to attach and
    > reformatted with JFS. Much faster in use than fat32, attaches almost
    > instantly :-)

    By attach speed, I presume you mean the time it takes before OS/2 pops
    up the window that says 'The J drive has been attached!' or something
    like that? Anyway, that time seems about the same for the older and new
    drives on both OS/2 and Windows...a few seconds at most.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  7. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi David
    >
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >> I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    >> formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    >> tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    >> but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    >> usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    >> plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    >> would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop
    >> removable drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to
    >> be formatted with FAT using
    >>
    >> FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >>
    >> Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted
    >> with HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name
    >> and copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work
    >> well. However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    >> Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    >> 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    >> to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any
    >> ideas?

    > I recently got a 4Gb Rundisk 2.0 USB pen drive thingy.
    >
    > No problems attaching it but it could not be written to - and there was
    > nothing on it to try reading.
    >
    > Looking at it using LVM it was displayed as a large floppy but showed
    > only 2Gb as the size.

    That was the way my drive was until I formatted it on Windows with FAT.
    After that, it could be written to by OS/2 and I was able to format it
    with HPFS and 4gb available and reads and writes are fast and no problem.

    > I used DFSee www.dfsee.com to create an LVM aware partition and then
    > formatted it fat32.

    I have an older 1 gb traveldrive that came with a partition that LVM
    recognized out of the box. For some reason, the new drives either come
    with a partition that LVM will only recognize as a floppy or they don't
    have a partition of any kind. Maybe there's something in Windows that
    doesn't tolerate usb flash drives as a hard drive (security?) and the
    newer drives are set up to prevent that.

    > That worked but later I decided that fat32 was very slow to attach and
    > reformatted with JFS. Much faster in use than fat32, attaches almost
    > instantly :-)

    By attach speed, I presume you mean the time it takes before OS/2 pops
    up the window that says 'The J drive has been attached!' or something
    like that? Anyway, that time seems about the same for the older and new
    drives on both OS/2 and Windows...a few seconds at most.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  8. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    On Feb 27, 1:47 pm, "David T. Johnson" wrote:
    > I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    > formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    > tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    > but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    > usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    > plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    > would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop removable
    > drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to be formatted
    > with FAT using
    >
    > FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >
    > Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted with
    > HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name and
    > copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work well.
    > However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    > Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    > 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    > to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any ideas?
    > --
    > Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    > and Sea Monkey 1.5a

    Hey David,

    I have two 4G flash drives that were handed out for free at MacWorld.
    I keep one on my key-chain (it is encased in rubber as a dog bone) and
    it is filled with free Mac apps that I share with friends. I'm at a
    loss as to how to tell you to format your new flash drive - basically
    because all I did was plug mine into a USB port and file off to it.
    Formatting for HFS was done "on the fly" (thank God). By any chance
    have you tried erasing it and the reformatting?

    Tim...

  9. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    On Feb 27, 1:47 pm, "David T. Johnson" wrote:
    > I just got a new 4gb usb flash drive "Memorex TravelDrive" that came
    > formatted with FAT32 and a td.exe 'disk security' program on it. I
    > tried to reformat it with hpfs as I've done with previous flash drives
    > but os/2 complained that it couldn't write to the drive, even though
    > usbmsd recognized it and added it to the drives folder when it was
    > plugged in. I booted on windows xp and plugged in the drive. windows
    > would only let it be reformatted with fat32 using the desktop removable
    > drive icon but the 'command prompt' in winxp allowed it to be formatted
    > with FAT using
    >
    > FORMAT F: /FS:FAT
    >
    > Then I rebooted with OS/2 and now OS/2 would let it be reformatted with
    > HPFS. I reformatted with hpfs and assigned it a new volume name and
    > copied a lot of data to the drive as a test. All seems to work well.
    > However, LVM refuses to recognize the drive as a 'hard drive.'
    > Apparently, OS/2 sees the drive as a 4gb floppy drive rather than a
    > 'removable drive.' That's okay for what I need but I am wondering how
    > to get lvm to recognize the drive as something besides a floppy. Any ideas?
    > --
    > Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    > and Sea Monkey 1.5a

    Hey David,

    I have two 4G flash drives that were handed out for free at MacWorld.
    I keep one on my key-chain (it is encased in rubber as a dog bone) and
    it is filled with free Mac apps that I share with friends. I'm at a
    loss as to how to tell you to format your new flash drive - basically
    because all I did was plug mine into a USB port and file off to it.
    Formatting for HFS was done "on the fly" (thank God). By any chance
    have you tried erasing it and the reformatting?

    Tim...

  10. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    When looking at the psychology of the response, the word "textbook"
    comes to mind.

    Someone:
    I just got X and it works well for me.

    Larry/Ron/Jeff/Tim/Susie...:
    I have 2 X's and I've had them for over a year. I got them for free
    because people like me. Really, they do! Mine are better because they
    make use of Y, which you don't have.

    Funny and sad at the same time.

  11. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    When looking at the psychology of the response, the word "textbook"
    comes to mind.

    Someone:
    I just got X and it works well for me.

    Larry/Ron/Jeff/Tim/Susie...:
    I have 2 X's and I've had them for over a year. I got them for free
    because people like me. Really, they do! Mine are better because they
    make use of Y, which you don't have.

    Funny and sad at the same time.

  12. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    On Feb 28, 11:19 am, Marty wrote:
    > When looking at the psychology of the response, the word "textbook"
    > comes to mind.
    >
    > Someone:
    > I just got X and it works well for me.
    >
    > Larry/Ron/Jeff/Tim/Susie...:
    > I have 2 X's and I've had them for over a year. I got them for free
    > because people like me. Really, they do! Mine are better because they
    > make use of Y, which you don't have.
    >
    > Funny and sad at the same time.

    Funny for the rest of us, sad that it drives you so nuts. Have you
    thought about doing something constructive with your time? Allow me
    to suggest buying a Mac and really enjoying yourself for once.

    Tim...

  13. Re: New 4gb USB Flash Drive

    On Feb 28, 11:19 am, Marty wrote:
    > When looking at the psychology of the response, the word "textbook"
    > comes to mind.
    >
    > Someone:
    > I just got X and it works well for me.
    >
    > Larry/Ron/Jeff/Tim/Susie...:
    > I have 2 X's and I've had them for over a year. I got them for free
    > because people like me. Really, they do! Mine are better because they
    > make use of Y, which you don't have.
    >
    > Funny and sad at the same time.

    Funny for the rest of us, sad that it drives you so nuts. Have you
    thought about doing something constructive with your time? Allow me
    to suggest buying a Mac and really enjoying yourself for once.

    Tim...

+ Reply to Thread