SCSI disks - OS2

This is a discussion on SCSI disks - OS2 ; Hi folks, what combination of SCSI disk, controller and driver would you recommend? TIA Uwe...

  1. SCSI disks

    Hi folks,

    what combination of SCSI disk, controller and driver would you recommend?

    TIA
    Uwe

  2. Re: SCSI disks

    On 02/23/08 01:20 pm Uwe Pilgram wrote:

    > what combination of SCSI disk, controller and driver would you recommend?

    Reasonably recent Seagate U320 10K (15K if you prefer) drives of an
    appropriate size, Adaptec U320 adapter with AICU320.ADD driver or
    LSILogic U320 adapter with LSIMPT.ADD driver. The latter adapter is what
    I am using currently for a mixture of U320 and U160 Seagate drives, and,
    once I solved a bad RAM problem, I have not encountered a problem.

    However, the bottleneck with U320 drives is the typical 32-bit PCI bus.
    Motherboards with 64-bit PCI sockets are rather rare. SCSI cards with
    PCI-Express interface exist, but I have been unable to discover whether
    any available OS/2 driver works with them.

    Having a motherboard with integrated SATA, I recently added a 500GB
    Seagate SATA drive, intending to use it as temporary storage while I did
    some major rearrangement of partitions on the SCSI drives, but found
    that, although only a 7200rpm drive, data transfers are much faster than
    with the 10K SCSI ones -- because it's not being strangled by the PCI
    bus. So that is the drive on which my "everyday" partitions are now located.

    Do note, however, that Seagate says that its SATA drives are not
    intended for 24/7/365 service but only for 8/5/xxx service. The modern
    equivalent of SCSI is SAS (Serial-Attached-SCSI), but there may not be
    any OS/2 drivers for such adapters.

    Perce

  3. Re: SCSI disks

    Hi Perce ..

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 02/23/08 01:20 pm Uwe Pilgram wrote:

    > Reasonably recent Seagate U320 10K (15K if you prefer) drives of an
    > appropriate size, Adaptec U320 adapter with AICU320.ADD driver or
    > LSILogic U320 adapter with LSIMPT.ADD driver. The latter adapter is what
    > I am using currently for a mixture of U320 and U160 Seagate drives, and,
    > once I solved a bad RAM problem, I have not encountered a problem.

    Can you tell me where the AIC320.ADD OS/2 SCSI device driver can be found? I
    would dearly like to know if a PCI slot Adaptec U320 adapter for the same type
    of PCI slot as the U29160 Adaptec adapter exists. And, if so, where the OS/2
    AICU320.ADD driver comes from for that use!

    I'm currently using the 29160 Adaptec card with what I thought was the latest
    OS/1 AICU160.ADD device driver on several boxes focusing on the Intel
    915GAVL/GEVL motherboards and 2+Gig Intel CPU's and the Seagate U320 drives,
    both 10,000 and 15000 RPM versions with no apparent problems.

    > However, the bottleneck with U320 drives is the typical 32-bit PCI bus.
    > Motherboards with 64-bit PCI sockets are rather rare. SCSI cards with
    > PCI-Express interface exist, but I have been unable to discover whether
    > any available OS/2 driver works with them.

    > Having a motherboard with integrated SATA, I recently added a 500GB
    > Seagate SATA drive, intending to use it as temporary storage while I did
    > some major rearrangement of partitions on the SCSI drives, but found
    > that, although only a 7200rpm drive, data transfers are much faster than
    > with the 10K SCSI ones -- because it's not being strangled by the PCI
    > bus. So that is the drive on which my "everyday" partitions are now
    > located.

    Not seemingly so with the 29160/AICU160.ADD combo from a just rough usage
    standpoint. But I've never measured things to see what really exists.

    > Do note, however, that Seagate says that its SATA drives are not
    > intended for 24/7/365 service but only for 8/5/xxx service. The modern
    > equivalent of SCSI is SAS (Serial-Attached-SCSI), but there may not be
    > any OS/2 drivers for such adapters.

    I was not aware of the above Seagate position. I've tried to use nothing but
    Seagate drives for years now with very good results. But I thought that the
    same general position would be true for SATA drives. I've not had enough hours
    on any of the SATA drives to know any real-life experience at this so far.

    > Perce

    Thanks Perce!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  4. Re: SCSI disks

    On 02/25/08 08:16 pm Mike Luther wrote:

    >> Reasonably recent Seagate U320 10K (15K if you prefer) drives of an
    >> appropriate size, Adaptec U320 adapter with AICU320.ADD driver or
    >> LSILogic U320 adapter with LSIMPT.ADD driver. The latter adapter is
    >> what I am using currently for a mixture of U320 and U160 Seagate
    >> drives, and, once I solved a bad RAM problem, I have not encountered a
    >> problem.

    > Can you tell me where the AIC320.ADD OS/2 SCSI device driver can be
    > found? I would dearly like to know if a PCI slot Adaptec U320 adapter
    > for the same type of PCI slot as the U29160 Adaptec adapter exists.
    > And, if so, where the OS/2 AICU320.ADD driver comes from for that use!

    There are various Adaptec U320 adapters for the PCI bus. They are 64-bit
    but 32-bit compatible. See

    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/scsi_cards/entry/

    The driver was on the long-gone OS/2 Device Driver site and is
    definitely included in eComStation but does not seem to be on the
    Adaptec Web site. It *may* be on Hobbes, or you may have to look farther
    afield for it.

    > I'm currently using the 29160 Adaptec card with what I thought was the
    > latest OS/1 AICU160.ADD device driver on several boxes focusing on the
    > Intel 915GAVL/GEVL motherboards and 2+Gig Intel CPU's and the Seagate
    > U320 drives, both 10,000 and 15000 RPM versions with no apparent problems.

    >> However, the bottleneck with U320 drives is the typical 32-bit PCI
    >> bus. Motherboards with 64-bit PCI sockets are rather rare. SCSI cards
    >> with PCI-Express interface exist, but I have been unable to discover
    >> whether any available OS/2 driver works with them.

    >> Having a motherboard with integrated SATA, I recently added a 500GB
    >> Seagate SATA drive, intending to use it as temporary storage while I
    >> did some major rearrangement of partitions on the SCSI drives, but
    >> found that, although only a 7200rpm drive, data transfers are much
    >> faster than with the 10K SCSI ones -- because it's not being strangled
    >> by the PCI bus. So that is the drive on which my "everyday" partitions
    >> are now located.

    > Not seemingly so with the 29160/AICU160.ADD combo from a just rough
    > usage standpoint. But I've never measured things to see what really
    > exists.

    If you have a chance to compare them, you might be surprised.

    >> Do note, however, that Seagate says that its SATA drives are not
    >> intended for 24/7/365 service but only for 8/5/xxx service. The modern
    >> equivalent of SCSI is SAS (Serial-Attached-SCSI), but there may not be
    >> any OS/2 drivers for such adapters.

    > I was not aware of the above Seagate position. I've tried to use
    > nothing but Seagate drives for years now with very good results. But I
    > thought that the same general position would be true for SATA drives.
    > I've not had enough hours on any of the SATA drives to know any
    > real-life experience at this so far.

    Seagate also says that its SCSI drives (and probably it applies also to
    their SAS drives) are designed to cope with the heat build-up and
    mechanical feedback of multi-drive configurations; not so their IDE
    drives (and likely also their SATA drives).

    Perce

  5. Re: SCSI disks

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:48:32 UTC, Mike Luther wrote:

    > Anyone here can furnish some more information on all this?

    Have a look at my filebase for adpu320.zip

    http://cyberia.dnsalias.com

    http://cyberia.dnsalias.com/Gfd.Sys.Disk.Htm

    Ciao, Harald

    --

    e-mail : harald.kamm @ bnv-bamberg.de

    http://cyberia.dnsalias.com

    This OS/2 system's uptime is at least 5 days 05:39 hours and 51 seconds

  6. Re: SCSI disks

    Aha!

    Harald Kamm wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:48:32 UTC, Mike Luther wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone here can furnish some more information on all this?

    > Have a look at my filebase for adpu320.zip
    >
    > http://cyberia.dnsalias.com
    >
    > http://cyberia.dnsalias.com/Gfd.Sys.Disk.Htm
    >
    > Ciao, Harald

    Thanks Harald. Combined with what I did download from the eCs site, now I have
    both the cited 'original' earlier version that someone says is 'faster' as well
    as what is 'latest' I think.

    Now the real question really is of focus. Safety and compatibility on other
    than WSEB and .. that said .. on what latest kernel for MCP2?

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  7. Re: SCSI disks

    Thanks you all, very helpful information.

    Bye Uwe

    -------------------

    Uwe Pilgram wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > what combination of SCSI disk, controller and driver would you recommend?
    >
    > TIA
    > Uwe

  8. Re: SCSI disks

    Mike Luther schrieb:

    > Thanks again Perce .. but ..
    >
    > Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >
    > > The driver was on the long-gone OS/2 Device Driver site and is
    > > definitely included in eComStation but does not seem to be on the
    > > Adaptec Web site. It *may* be on Hobbes, or you may have to look farther
    > > afield for it.

    > In searching through all I can find at this, I do have a copy of eCs 1.2
    > official which to date I've never used. I looked into the CD-ROM directories
    > and did find the Adaptec SCSI drivers through AICU160.ADD, but not the
    > AICU320.ADD driver.
    >
    > Puzzled, I searched other information and found from
    >
    > http://www.os2world.com/content/view/3069/2/
    >
    > The following text:
    >
    > Adaptec Ultra320 Device Driver for WSeB Print E-mail
    > Posted by Martin Iturbide - Friday, 29 October 2004
    >
    > On IBM's Testcase FTP site there is a driver package for the Adaptec Ultra320
    > Family SCSI Devices.
    >
    > The following Adaptec SCSI Host Adapters are supported by the Adaptec Ultra320
    > OS/2 Device Driver. The Reados2.htm file lists the following devices supported:
    >
    > AIC-7901, AIC-7902, ASC29320LP, ASC29320ALP, ASC39320A
    >
    > The readme also states "The AICU320.ADD Ultra320 SCSI driver only supports OS/2
    > Warp Server for e-business."
    >
    > Download: ftp://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/ps/fr...dpu320os11.zip
    >
    > Keep in mind this is on IBM's Testcase server so it is not supported by IBM
    > unless they tell you to download it. Also items on this server only remain for
    > 3 days or so and are then removed.
    >
    > Source: OS2VOICE
    >
    > I note carefully the claim that this driver only supports OS/2 Warp Server for
    > e-business.

    That just menas it doesn't work on Warp 4.0 or earlier.

    If you have MCP(1 or 2) or eCS it works.

    Hendrik

+ Reply to Thread