Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments - OS2

This is a discussion on Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments - OS2 ; I now have a copy of this application, sent to me by a member of this group. It turns out to be a REXX port, which makes it very easy to install, and it does run (Regina). So far, so ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    I now have a copy of this application, sent to me by a member of this group.
    It turns out to be a REXX port, which makes it very easy to install, and it
    does run (Regina). So far, so good. There is a difficulty:

    There is no information at all on how to make a virtual printer to which
    applications can write in order to make faxes. I have made one in CUPS, but
    it is a Postscript printer, and I don't think PMfax will have much joy from
    it. The PMfax documentation is essentially a copy of the OS/2 information;
    there is a short paragraph about making the fax printer, telling me to read
    the README. There is no README. Does anyone have a clue about making a
    suitable fax printer?

    There are also some curiousities:

    When I start the program from a terminal, the following warnings appear:

    *****
    # Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
    Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
    Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
    Warning: Actions not found: delete-next-character
    Warning: Actions not found: delete-next-character
    *****

    Then the program starts. What exactly is it complaining about?

    The settings for the program have the same port-choice page as in the OS/2
    original. It reports the default port as ttyS0, and the instructions are,
    as in OS/2, "double click on the desired port to change". The default,
    however, appears to be hard-wired, and one can double-click until the face
    turns blue. What is surprising is that the program would not start until I
    gave ttyS1 rw permissions, while, given those permissions, it loads and
    claims to be waiting for incoming faxes. Evidently it finds the right port
    by itself, and the port-choice page is just for show.
    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  2. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    I don't know about the Linux version, but "PMFax -?" (or is it "PMFax
    /?") in the OS/2 version brings up all the commandline options
    including "-install" (or "/install").

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:46:55 +0200, Stan Goodman
    wrote:

    >There is no information at all on how to make a virtual printer to which
    >applications can write in order to make faxes. I have made one in CUPS, but
    >it is a Postscript printer, and I don't think PMfax will have much joy from
    >it. The PMfax documentation is essentially a copy of the OS/2 information;
    >there is a short paragraph about making the fax printer, telling me to read
    >the README. There is no README. Does anyone have a clue about making a
    >suitable fax printer?

  3. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    In article
    prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.rr.com "Philip R. Mann" writes:

    > I don't know about the Linux version, but "PMFax -?" (or is it "PMFax
    > /?") in the OS/2 version brings up all the commandline options
    > including "-install" (or "/install").
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:46:55 +0200, Stan Goodman
    > wrote:
    >
    > >There is no information at all on how to make a virtual printer to which
    > >applications can write in order to make faxes. I have made one in CUPS, but
    > >it is a Postscript printer, and I don't think PMfax will have much joy from
    > >it. The PMfax documentation is essentially a copy of the OS/2 information;
    > >there is a short paragraph about making the fax printer, telling me to read
    > >the README. There is no README. Does anyone have a clue about making a
    > >suitable fax printer?

    I've been using PMFax as one of my "printers" for years. I just
    installed it and there it was in the menu of printers. FWIW, it
    is version 3.2h.Ena which IIRC was the one the Keller Group very
    kindly gave away as a parting gift to the OS/2 community. Works
    well, BTW.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  4. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:

    > In article
    > prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.rr.com "Philip R. Mann" writes:
    >
    >> I don't know about the Linux version, but "PMFax -?" (or is it "PMFax
    >> /?") in the OS/2 version brings up all the commandline options
    >> including "-install" (or "/install").
    >>
    >> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:46:55 +0200, Stan Goodman
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >There is no information at all on how to make a virtual printer to which
    >> >applications can write in order to make faxes. I have made one in CUPS,
    >> >but it is a Postscript printer, and I don't think PMfax will have much
    >> >joy from it. The PMfax documentation is essentially a copy of the OS/2
    >> >information; there is a short paragraph about making the fax printer,
    >> >telling me to read the README. There is no README. Does anyone have a
    >> >clue about making a suitable fax printer?

    > I've been using PMFax as one of my "printers" for years. I just
    > installed it and there it was in the menu of printers. FWIW, it
    > is version 3.2h.Ena which IIRC was the one the Keller Group very
    > kindly gave away as a parting gift to the OS/2 community. Works
    > well, BTW.

    You are quite right, that is indeed what happens in OS/2, and what I have
    done in OS/2 since PMfax (then Faxworks, if I haven't forgotten). That is
    NOT the way things work in Linux.

    The reason I posted the query here, where it is definitely OT, is that 1)
    PMfax is very familiar to OS/2 users, and 2) many people here also run
    Linux, so I thought some may have installed PMfax for Linux, for the sake
    of the convenience of using an already familiar program (which is my reason
    for using it).

    I am very sorry if I have abused the group by bringing an off-topic
    question. Surprising how perplexing the question is even to Linux groups.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  5. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:09:15 UTC, Stan Goodman
    wrote:

    > I am very sorry if I have abused the group by bringing an off-topic
    > question. Surprising how perplexing the question is even to Linux groups.

    Well, there are some other fax packages around for such systems (I have
    used PMFax for years, though).

    I'm looking at fax packages now, starting with Hylafax. That seems to be
    available for Linux (the jumped up UNIX wannabe!) and also for FreeBSD,
    which is what I use alongside OS/2.

    --
    Bob Eager

  6. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Bob Eager wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:09:15 UTC, Stan Goodman
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am very sorry if I have abused the group by bringing an off-topic
    >> question. Surprising how perplexing the question is even to Linux groups.

    > Well, there are some other fax packages around for such systems (I have
    > used PMFax for years, though).

    I have been using PMfax for years in OS/2 -- since its initial release under
    a different name. Are you saying you have been using PMfax for years in
    FreeBSD? If so, could you send me the README (for the Linux version)? I
    have the program, but the README to which the Help refers is absent.

    > I'm looking at fax packages now, starting with Hylafax. That seems to be
    > available for Linux (the jumped up UNIX wannabe!) and also for FreeBSD,
    > which is what I use alongside OS/2.

    HylaFAX is an enormous program. It is a client-server application with many
    features that I don't need. There is also a thing called efax-gtk, which is
    too rudimend tary, and which seems to be flaky.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  7. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Bob Eager wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:16:57 UTC, Stan Goodman
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Eager wrote:

    >> > Well, there are some other fax packages around for such systems (I have
    >> > used PMFax for years, though).

    >> I have been using PMfax for years in OS/2 -- since its initial release
    >> under a different name. Are you saying you have been using PMfax for
    >> years in FreeBSD? If so, could you send me the README (for the Linux
    >> version)? I have the program, but the README to which the Help refers is
    >> absent.

    > No, I've been using PMFax on OS/2 but want something for FreeBSD.
    >
    >> > I'm looking at fax packages now, starting with Hylafax. That seems to
    >> > be available for Linux (the jumped up UNIX wannabe!) and also for
    >> > FreeBSD, which is what I use alongside OS/2.

    >> HylaFAX is an enormous program. It is a client-server application with
    >> many features that I don't need. There is also a thing called efax-gtk,
    >> which is
    >> too rudimentary, and which seems to be flaky.

    > There are others for FreeBSD that I haven't explored yet. I don't go
    > near Linux much.

    Wouldn't the PMfax for Linux work with FreeBSD? It is a REXX script -- if
    you have Regina or any other REXX interpreter on the system, it should be
    happy.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  8. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:06:12 UTC, Stan Goodman
    wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:16:57 UTC, Stan Goodman
    > > wrote:

    > >> I have been using PMfax for years in OS/2 -- since its initial release
    > >> under a different name. Are you saying you have been using PMfax for
    > >> years in FreeBSD? If so, could you send me the README (for the Linux
    > >> version)? I have the program, but the README to which the Help refers is
    > >> absent.

    > > No, I've been using PMFax on OS/2 but want something for FreeBSD.

    > >> HylaFAX is an enormous program. It is a client-server application with
    > >> many features that I don't need. There is also a thing called efax-gtk,
    > >> which is
    > >> too rudimentary, and which seems to be flaky.

    > > There are others for FreeBSD that I haven't explored yet. I don't go
    > > near Linux much.

    > Wouldn't the PMfax for Linux work with FreeBSD? It is a REXX script -- if
    > you have Regina or any other REXX interpreter on the system, it should be
    > happy.

    Your earlier post is the first I've heard of it...where do I find it?

    (I use REXX on FreeBSD all the time)

    --
    Bob Eager

  9. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Bob Eager wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:06:12 UTC, Stan Goodman
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Eager wrote:

    >> > No, I've been using PMFax on OS/2 but want something for FreeBSD.

    >> > There are others for FreeBSD that I haven't explored yet. I don't go
    >> > near Linux much.

    >> Wouldn't the PMfax for Linux work with FreeBSD? It is a REXX script -- if
    >> you have Regina or any other REXX interpreter on the system, it should be
    >> happy.

    > Your earlier post is the first I've heard of it...where do I find it?
    >
    > (I use REXX on FreeBSD all the time)

    Aye, there's the rub. It has been withdrawn by the newest generation of the
    proprietors of the program. But I have a copy sent to me by Doug Bissett. I
    assume you would like to have it, and I'll send it along directly. I have
    your address.

    The file contains a .bin file that contains PMfax (now known also
    as "Primafax") and another file that is the key to needs to be placed in
    the PMfax directory. What seems to have gone astray, assuming that it was
    ever present, is the README file referred to by the Help. The Help mentions
    that Linux users should read the README to find out how to make the fax
    printer. If you know how to do this, please tell me, and Doug would like to
    know too.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  10. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:32:15 UTC, Stan Goodman
    wrote:

    > Aye, there's the rub. It has been withdrawn by the newest generation of the
    > proprietors of the program. But I have a copy sent to me by Doug Bissett. I
    > assume you would like to have it, and I'll send it along directly. I have
    > your address.
    >
    > The file contains a .bin file that contains PMfax (now known also
    > as "Primafax") and another file that is the key to needs to be placed in
    > the PMfax directory. What seems to have gone astray, assuming that it was
    > ever present, is the README file referred to by the Help. The Help mentions
    > that Linux users should read the README to find out how to make the fax
    > printer. If you know how to do this, please tell me, and Doug would like to
    > know too.

    Thanks, Stan. I assume you mean email; any of my addresses should work
    apart from the spamcop one.

    That includes firstname@lastname.cx

    --
    Bob Eager

  11. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    wrote:

    > The file contains a .bin file that contains PMfax (now known also
    > as "Primafax") and another file that is the key to needs to be placed in
    > the PMfax directory. What seems to have gone astray, assuming that it was
    > ever present, is the README file referred to by the Help. The Help mentions
    > that Linux users should read the README to find out how to make the fax
    > printer. If you know how to do this, please tell me, and Doug would like to
    > know too.

    I have sent you what I believe to be the README file.

    --
    Bob Eager

  12. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    In <0112e42e$0$14205$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, on 02/24/2008
    at 12:09 AM, Stan Goodman said:

    >I am very sorry if I have abused the group by bringing an off-topic
    >question.

    Well, I'd say that it wasn't abuse and that it was only semi-off-topic.

    If you have time, please contact me with a private e-mail at the address
    in my sig.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  13. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Stan Goodman schrieb:

    > I now have a copy of this application, sent to me by a member of this group.
    > It turns out to be a REXX port, which makes it very easy to install, and it
    > does run (Regina). So far, so good. There is a difficulty:
    >
    > There is no information at all on how to make a virtual printer to which
    > applications can write in order to make faxes. I have made one in CUPS, but
    > it is a Postscript printer, and I don't think PMfax will have much joy from
    > it. The PMfax documentation is essentially a copy of the OS/2 information;
    > there is a short paragraph about making the fax printer, telling me to read
    > the README. There is no README. Does anyone have a clue about making a
    > suitable fax printer?
    >
    > There are also some curiousities:
    >
    > When I start the program from a terminal, the following warnings appear:
    >
    > *****
    > # Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
    > Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
    > Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
    > Warning: Actions not found: delete-next-character
    > Warning: Actions not found: delete-next-character
    > *****
    >
    > Then the program starts. What exactly is it complaining about?

    The program wabts to use a locale which isn't installed .
    See also the output of 'locale' and 'locale -a'.

    Hendrik

  14. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Just to throw my two cents worth in, PMFax for OS/2
    is a fantastic application and I still use it for
    all my faxing and voice messaging. If someone took
    it over and made it full featured for Linux I would
    be MORE than happy to pay full price for it again.

    -Philip

  15. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Hendrik Schmieder wrote:

    > Stan Goodman schrieb:
    >>
    >> I now have a copy of this application, sent to me by a member of this
    >> group. It turns out to be a REXX port, which makes it very easy to
    >> install, and it does run (Regina). So far, so good. There is a
    >> difficulty:
    >>
    >> There is no information at all on how to make a virtual printer to which
    >> applications can write in order to make faxes. I have made one in CUPS,
    >> but it is a Postscript printer, and I don't think PMfax will have much
    >> joy from it. The PMfax documentation is essentially a copy of the OS/2
    >> information; there is a short paragraph about making the fax printer,
    >> telling me to read the README. There is no README. Does anyone have a
    >> clue about making a suitable fax printer?
    >>
    >> There are also some curiousities:
    >>
    >> When I start the program from a terminal, the following warnings appear:
    >>
    >> *****
    >> # Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
    >> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
    >> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
    >> Warning: Actions not found: delete-next-character
    >> Warning: Actions not found: delete-next-character
    >> *****
    >>
    >> Then the program starts. What exactly is it complaining about?
    >>

    > The program wabts to use a locale which isn't installed .
    > See also the output of 'locale' and 'locale -a'.

    The program is now running perfectly, although I haven't done anything about
    locales. I have no idea about why it was giving warnings. The only things I
    have done in that area, in fact, have to do with the port to which the
    program is connected.

    I also have the virtual printer installed. The program includes the
    fxprinter that works so well in OS/2, and includes also a filter for making
    it work from Postscript files, complete with clear directions on using it.
    PMfax is now called Primafax (or was until CDS dumped it); it should be a
    model and example for Linux programmers, most of which have not the
    foggiest notion of how to write documentation or GUIs, or what to put in
    them.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  16. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Philip Wright wrote:

    > Just to throw my two cents worth in, PMFax for OS/2
    > is a fantastic application and I still use it for
    > all my faxing and voice messaging. If someone took
    > it over and made it full featured for Linux I would
    > be MORE than happy to pay full price for it again.

    See my reply to Hendrik in this thread.

    You can't pay, because it has been dumped, and I doubt that anybody could
    take it over, because copyrights survive dumping. But if you would like me
    to send you the binary file for installation in Linux, please tell me.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  17. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:29:20 +0200, Stan Goodman
    wrote:

    > You can't pay, because it has been dumped, and I doubt that anybody could
    > take it over, because copyrights survive dumping. But if you would like me
    > to send you the binary file for installation in Linux, please tell me.

    But copyright has to be defended. If whatever entity that owns the copyright
    has dumped the program, then how likely are they to defend the copyright if
    someone decides to pirate the existing binaries?
    The real problem here is not one of copyright, but of getting the code for
    anyone else to do something with.

  18. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:29:20 +0200, Stan Goodman
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You can't pay, because it has been dumped, and I doubt that anybody could
    >> take it over, because copyrights survive dumping. But if you would like
    >> me to send you the binary file for installation in Linux, please tell me.

    > But copyright has to be defended. If whatever entity that owns the
    > copyright has dumped the program, then how likely are they to defend the
    > copyright if someone decides to pirate the existing binaries?
    > The real problem here is not one of copyright, but of getting the code for
    > anyone else to do something with.

    All that is very true, and you know the matter far better than I can. The
    unknown is how eager the present owner is to defend the intellectual
    property that he presumable paid to acquire.

    I would hope that someone could and would pick up the program and develop it
    further. As I said, I'll send the installation file to anyone that wants to
    take a crack at it. Bob Eager also has a copy I sent him. I got it from
    Doug Bissett.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  19. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    On 03/01/08 04:40 pm Stan Goodman wrote:

    > Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:29:20 +0200, Stan Goodman
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can't pay, because it has been dumped, and I doubt that anybody could
    >>> take it over, because copyrights survive dumping. But if you would like
    >>> me to send you the binary file for installation in Linux, please tell me.

    >> But copyright has to be defended. If whatever entity that owns the
    >> copyright has dumped the program, then how likely are they to defend the
    >> copyright if someone decides to pirate the existing binaries?
    >> The real problem here is not one of copyright, but of getting the code for
    >> anyone else to do something with.

    > All that is very true, and you know the matter far better than I can. The
    > unknown is how eager the present owner is to defend the intellectual
    > property that he presumable paid to acquire.
    >
    > I would hope that someone could and would pick up the program and develop it
    > further. As I said, I'll send the installation file to anyone that wants to
    > take a crack at it. Bob Eager also has a copy I sent him. I got it from
    > Doug Bissett.

    I think I recall reading that somebody had asked Intradyn (the company
    that took over CDS, which had acquired the rights to FaxWorks/PMFax from
    the Keller Group) to release FaxWorks/PMFax into the public domain
    (since they were no longer interested in selling or supporting it) but
    was told that they had no rights to it. If that is true, who does have
    the rights to it? -- the no-longer-existent CDS? Beats me.

    Perce

  20. Re: Making a fax printer for PMfax for Linux, and some oddments

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    > On 03/01/08 04:40 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    >>> But copyright has to be defended. If whatever entity that owns the
    >>> copyright has dumped the program, then how likely are they to defend the
    >>> copyright if someone decides to pirate the existing binaries?
    >>> The real problem here is not one of copyright, but of getting the code
    >>> for anyone else to do something with.

    >> All that is very true, and you know the matter far better than I can. The
    >> unknown is how eager the present owner is to defend the intellectual
    >> property that he presumable paid to acquire.
    >>
    >> I would hope that someone could and would pick up the program and develop
    >> it further. As I said, I'll send the installation file to anyone that
    >> wants to take a crack at it. Bob Eager also has a copy I sent him. I got
    >> it from Doug Bissett.
    >>

    > I think I recall reading that somebody had asked Intradyn (the company
    > that took over CDS, which had acquired the rights to FaxWorks/PMFax from
    > the Keller Group) to release FaxWorks/PMFax into the public domain
    > (since they were no longer interested in selling or supporting it) but
    > was told that they had no rights to it. If that is true, who does have
    > the rights to it? -- the no-longer-existent CDS? Beats me.
    >
    > Perce

    The material I have clearly identifies it as the property of CDS. When
    Intradyn acquired CDS, they must have acquired PMfax at the same time,
    unless the acquisition excluded it. If that is so, then either PMfax is
    really abandoned, or someone else has it. And the someone has made no move
    to make his interest in it known, so that nobody knows to whom to turn for
    it. Until the present owner makes himself known, I think PMfax is a free
    good. That might change if an owner pops up, but I can't see that anyone is
    risking a damage suit by adopting the program in the meantime. There might
    be a question about diligence in trying to locate an owner, but that could
    be addressed.
    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on