Sound/audio setup - OS2

This is a discussion on Sound/audio setup - OS2 ; Hello, I have a system where the sound used to work and now does not. I have no idea what I changed to cause the silence. ecs v1.2. The motherboard has a builtin sound chip, realtek acl650. Uniaud v1.1.4-rc4. The ...

  1. Sound/audio setup

    Hello,
    I have a system where the sound used to work and now does not. I have no
    idea what I changed to cause the silence.

    ecs v1.2. The motherboard has a builtin sound chip, realtek acl650.
    Uniaud v1.1.4-rc4.
    The uniaud drivers load okay.
    No sound.
    In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    how do I get rid of them?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  2. Re: Sound/audio setup

    Sir:

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a system where the sound used to work and now does not. I have no
    > idea what I changed to cause the silence.
    >
    > ecs v1.2. The motherboard has a builtin sound chip, realtek acl650.
    > Uniaud v1.1.4-rc4.
    > The uniaud drivers load okay.
    > No sound.
    > In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    > "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    > Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    > What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    > how do I get rid of them?

    It really sounds like you had at one time Crystal audio drivers
    installed and before you installed uniaudio, did not uninstall them.
    What was wrong that you felt you needed uniaudio driver? Upgrade from a

    Suggestion is find either uniaudio or crystal driver and use multimedia
    install and uninstall one of them by selecting zero devices.

    As to the presence of different wave-audio devices, that seems to
    indicate multiple install attempts. You only need one to get working
    sound, assuming it operates the audio chip.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Sound/audio setup

    Hi Jim

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a system where the sound used to work and now does not. I have no
    > idea what I changed to cause the silence.
    >
    > ecs v1.2. The motherboard has a builtin sound chip, realtek acl650.

    That is probably the Mixer chipset.

    > Uniaud v1.1.4-rc4.
    > The uniaud drivers load okay.

    Shold tell you what audio and mixer chipsets are involved.

    > No sound.
    > In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    > "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    > Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    > What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    > how do I get rid of them?

    Use Local System -> Install/Remove -> MultiMedia Management (or
    MultiMedia Application Install) to:-

    1] Reinitialise Multimedia - should reset to no sound device installed
    and clean up the \mmos2\mmpm2.ini file but check the docs for details

    2] Install UniAud - you may need to point to the version you want to
    install using Add a Multimedia Feature, followed by Select a Feature
    from another location.

    Hopefully the above should resolve the problems :-)

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/04/08 01:48 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Jim Moe wrote:
    >> ecs v1.2. The motherboard has a builtin sound chip, realtek acl650.
    >> Uniaud v1.1.4-rc4.
    >> The uniaud drivers load okay.
    >> No sound.
    >> In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    >> "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    >> Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    >> What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    >> how do I get rid of them?
    >>

    > It really sounds like you had at one time Crystal audio drivers
    > installed and before you installed uniaudio, did not uninstall them.
    > What was wrong that you felt you needed uniaudio driver? Upgrade from a

    No sound.
    I tried a Crystal sound card because it had never failed to work before now.

    > Suggestion is find either uniaudio or crystal driver and use multimedia
    > install and uninstall one of them by selecting zero devices.

    Been there, done that.

    > As to the presence of different wave-audio devices, that seems to
    > indicate multiple install attempts. You only need one to get working
    > sound, assuming it operates the audio chip.

    Duh. How do I get rid of the Crystal stuff?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  5. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/04/08 07:54 am, Peter Brown wrote:

    >> No sound.
    >> In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    >> "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    >> Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    >> What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    >> how do I get rid of them?

    > Use Local System -> Install/Remove -> MultiMedia Management (or
    > MultiMedia Application Install) to:-
    >
    > 1] Reinitialise Multimedia - should reset to no sound device installed
    > and clean up the \mmos2\mmpm2.ini file but check the docs for details
    >
    > 2] Install UniAud - you may need to point to the version you want to
    > install using Add a Multimedia Feature, followed by Select a Feature
    > from another location.

    No joy. The Crystal crap is still there. And no sound.
    How do I completely uninstall MMos2?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  6. Re: Sound/audio setup

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 01/04/08 01:48 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Jim Moe wrote:
    >>> ecs v1.2. The motherboard has a builtin sound chip, realtek acl650.
    >>> Uniaud v1.1.4-rc4.
    >>> The uniaud drivers load okay.
    >>> No sound.
    >>> In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    >>> "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    >>> Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    >>> What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    >>> how do I get rid of them?
    >>>

    >> It really sounds like you had at one time Crystal audio drivers
    >> installed and before you installed uniaudio, did not uninstall them.
    >> What was wrong that you felt you needed uniaudio driver? Upgrade from a
    >>

    > No sound.
    > I tried a Crystal sound card because it had never failed to work before now.
    >
    >> Suggestion is find either uniaudio or crystal driver and use multimedia
    >> install and uninstall one of them by selecting zero devices.
    >>

    > Been there, done that.
    >
    >> As to the presence of different wave-audio devices, that seems to
    >> indicate multiple install attempts. You only need one to get working
    >> sound, assuming it operates the audio chip.

    > Duh. How do I get rid of the Crystal stuff?

    I can't guarantee that it will still work under eCS or more recent
    versions of Warp, but what used to work for me was to:

    a) boot from a maintenance partition or the install disks and delete the
    entire MMOS2 tree from the boot drive.

    b) use regedit2 to open the user ini file for the boot drive and delete
    any applications that appear to be multimedia related: e.g., CWMM or
    MMPM2_...

    c) edit config.sys and remove any entries that refer to multimedia.

    d) Boot from the main partition and use selective install to reinstall
    multimedia.

    Obviously before trying any of this the first thing to do is to back up.
    Of course you don't need to do this because you have already done so,
    right?

  7. Re: Sound/audio setup

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 01/04/08 07:54 am, Peter Brown wrote:
    >>> No sound.
    >>> In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    >>> "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    >>> Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    >>> What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    >>> how do I get rid of them?

    >> Use Local System -> Install/Remove -> MultiMedia Management (or
    >> MultiMedia Application Install) to:-
    >>
    >> 1] Reinitialise Multimedia - should reset to no sound device installed
    >> and clean up the \mmos2\mmpm2.ini file but check the docs for details
    >>
    >> 2] Install UniAud - you may need to point to the version you want to
    >> install using Add a Multimedia Feature, followed by Select a Feature
    >> from another location.
    >>

    > No joy. The Crystal crap is still there. And no sound.
    > How do I completely uninstall MMos2?

    Use Selective Install and uninstall it. Reboot and again use Selective
    Install and put it back. You'll have to re-install everything that used
    Multimedia install.

    Or you could edit the mmpm2.ini file with an editor that does not write
    an EOF mark to the end of the file (try EPM). The worse that could
    happen is you'll restore a copy that you made before messing with this
    file. Warning! Wrong edit will result in not being able to boot until
    you either restored the back up copy from your maintenance system or the
    Alt f1-f2 boot, OR 'rem' everything in config.sys that uses MMOS2
    directory. Saves you from reinstalling the multimedia world if you succeed.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/04/08 11:31 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 01/04/08 01:48 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Jim Moe wrote:
    >>> ecs v1.2. The motherboard has a builtin sound chip, realtek acl650.
    >>> Uniaud v1.1.4-rc4.
    >>> The uniaud drivers load okay.
    >>> No sound.
    >>> In the System Setup :: Multimedia Setup notebook, there a few odd pages:
    >>> "Crystal Wave 1", "Crystal Wave 2", "OS/2 Wave audio". The first Crystal
    >>> Wave page is selected as the "Default Waveaudio device".
    >>> What are Waveaudio devices? Should there be Crystal Wave types? If not,
    >>> how do I get rid of them?
    >>>

    >> It really sounds like you had at one time Crystal audio drivers
    >> installed and before you installed uniaudio, did not uninstall them.
    >> What was wrong that you felt you needed uniaudio driver? Upgrade from a
    >>

    > No sound.
    > I tried a Crystal sound card because it had never failed to work before now.
    >
    >> Suggestion is find either uniaudio or crystal driver and use multimedia
    >> install and uninstall one of them by selecting zero devices.
    >>

    > Been there, done that.
    >
    >> As to the presence of different wave-audio devices, that seems to
    >> indicate multiple install attempts. You only need one to get working
    >> sound, assuming it operates the audio chip.

    > Duh. How do I get rid of the Crystal stuff?

    Some versions of uniaudio come with a virgin ini file which you can use
    to replace the one in mmos2 before installing uniaudio.
    Dave

  9. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/05/08 09:54 am, Dave Yeo wrote:

    >>> As to the presence of different wave-audio devices, that seems to
    >>> indicate multiple install attempts. You only need one to get working
    >>> sound, assuming it operates the audio chip.

    >> Duh. How do I get rid of the Crystal stuff?

    > Some versions of uniaudio come with a virgin ini file which you can use
    > to replace the one in mmos2 before installing uniaudio.

    Do you know which one(s)? There are a number of INI files, some are
    text, some are profile.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  10. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/05/08 01:53 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:

    >>> 2] Install UniAud - you may need to point to the version you want to
    >>> install using Add a Multimedia Feature, followed by Select a Feature
    >>> from another location.
    >>>

    >> No joy. The Crystal crap is still there. And no sound.
    >> How do I completely uninstall MMos2?
    >>

    > Use Selective Install and uninstall it. Reboot and again use Selective
    > Install and put it back. You'll have to re-install everything that used
    > Multimedia install.

    Selective Uninstall does not offer the option to remove MultiMedia, in
    either os2/ or ecs.

    > Or you could edit the mmpm2.ini file with an editor that does not write
    > an EOF mark to the end of the file (try EPM). [...]

    I've tried deleting . It must be (re-)created based on other
    data since the Crystal stuff is still there. I've also deleted all Crystal
    files in .

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  11. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/05/08 01:34 am, James J. Weinkam wrote:

    >> No sound.
    >> How do I get rid of the Crystal stuff?
    >>

    > I can't guarantee that it will still work under eCS or more recent
    > versions of Warp, but what used to work for me was to:

    I was afraid this would be the case. Rather draconian and Window-ish but
    apparently the only way.

    > Obviously before trying any of this the first thing to do is to back up.
    > Of course you don't need to do this because you have already done so,
    > right?

    Of course!

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  12. Re: Sound/audio setup

    Sir:

    Jim Moe wrote:

    >>> No joy. The Crystal crap is still there. And no sound.
    >>> How do I completely uninstall MMos2?
    >>>

    >> Use Selective Install and uninstall it. Reboot and again use Selective
    >> Install and put it back. You'll have to re-install everything that used
    >> Multimedia install.
    >>

    > Selective Uninstall does not offer the option to remove MultiMedia, in
    > either os2/ or ecs.
    >
    >> Or you could edit the mmpm2.ini file with an editor that does not write
    >> an EOF mark to the end of the file (try EPM). [...]
    >>

    > I've tried deleting . It must be (re-)created based on other
    > data since the Crystal stuff is still there. I've also deleted all Crystal
    > files in .

    The brute force method of just deleting the \MMOS2 directory and
    removing the config.sys entries, followed by a reboot and checkini/c run
    to remove entries from ini will remove multimedia from the system. Then
    a Selective Install will put it back.
    Sigh... the editing of mmpm2.ini is better, IMHO because I have so much
    installed using multimedia install.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  13. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/05/08 02:14 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    >>> Duh. How do I get rid of the Crystal stuff?

    >> Some versions of uniaudio come with a virgin ini file which you can use
    >> to replace the one in mmos2 before installing uniaudio.
    >>

    > Do you know which one(s)? There are a number of INI files, some are
    > text, some are profile.

    Uniad20040122 comes with a copy of MMPM2.INI and the advice to replace
    the one in \mmos2 with the included one, reboot then install uniaudio.
    I can send you the copy I have here if you'd like (take it your email is
    close to right)
    Dave
    ps it is a text ini file

  14. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/06/08 02:41 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > The brute force method of just deleting the \MMOS2 directory and
    > removing the config.sys entries, followed by a reboot and checkini/c run
    > to remove entries from ini will remove multimedia from the system. Then
    > a Selective Install will put it back.

    Okay, completely expunged MMOS2.
    How do I convince Selective Install to actually (re-)install it?
    After selecting MultiMedia for installation, I get a quick flash when
    installation should have occurred, then "Reboot for changes to take
    effect." MultiMedia was NOT installed.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  15. Re: Sound/audio setup

    Sir:

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 01/06/08 02:41 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> The brute force method of just deleting the \MMOS2 directory and
    >> removing the config.sys entries, followed by a reboot and checkini/c run
    >> to remove entries from ini will remove multimedia from the system. Then
    >> a Selective Install will put it back.
    >>

    > Okay, completely expunged MMOS2.
    > How do I convince Selective Install to actually (re-)install it?
    > After selecting MultiMedia for installation, I get a quick flash when
    > installation should have occurred, then "Reboot for changes to take
    > effect." MultiMedia was NOT installed.

    Well, which version of OS/2 you got? It worked here the last time I
    tried with Warp 4. If eCS, you have to ask Alex Taylor how to trigger
    the install, if checking the mmos2 box in Selective Install did not. It
    should have put up a finder dialog so that you could point to the CD or
    where ever for the files.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  16. Re: Sound/audio setup

    On 01/07/08 02:07 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:

    >> Okay, completely expunged MMOS2.
    >> How do I convince Selective Install to actually (re-)install it?
    >> After selecting MultiMedia for installation, I get a quick flash when
    >> installation should have occurred, then "Reboot for changes to take
    >> effect." MultiMedia was NOT installed.
    >>

    > Well, which version of OS/2 you got? It worked here the last time I
    > tried with Warp 4. If eCS, you have to ask Alex Taylor how to trigger
    > the install, if checking the mmos2 box in Selective Install did not. It
    > should have put up a finder dialog so that you could point to the CD or
    > where ever for the files.

    ecs v1.2.
    When I tried to install a couple of other trivial components along with
    MultiMedia, I got the Finder dialog as you mentioned. MultiMedia still did
    not install.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  17. Re: Sound/audio setup

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 01/07/08 02:07 am, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>> Okay, completely expunged MMOS2.
    >>> How do I convince Selective Install to actually (re-)install it?
    >>> After selecting MultiMedia for installation, I get a quick flash when
    >>> installation should have occurred, then "Reboot for changes to take
    >>> effect." MultiMedia was NOT installed.
    >>>

    >> Well, which version of OS/2 you got? It worked here the last time I
    >> tried with Warp 4. If eCS, you have to ask Alex Taylor how to trigger
    >> the install, if checking the mmos2 box in Selective Install did not. It
    >> should have put up a finder dialog so that you could point to the CD or
    >> where ever for the files.

    > ecs v1.2.
    > When I tried to install a couple of other trivial components along with
    > MultiMedia, I got the Finder dialog as you mentioned. MultiMedia still did
    > not install.

    As I said in my original suggestion, I do not know if this technique
    works in eCS. I did just look at an eCS1.2 installation and it appears
    that you need to go to Local System -> Install/Remove -> Multimedia
    Application Install. Then after clicking on next a couple of times you
    can select refresh multimedia installation. If that doesn't work with
    multimedia completely removed, restore your backup and try either the
    refresh option or the uninstall followed by reinstall of a specific device.

    The multimedia selection appears to be disabled in Selective Install.

+ Reply to Thread