I'm here because OS/2 is dead and for years I worked diligently and
with devotion to help the OS/2 user move forward. From Wikipedia:
"Although IBM began indicating shortly after the release of Warp 4
that OS/2 would eventually be withdrawn, the company did not end
support until 2006-12-31. Sales of OS/2 stopped on 2005-12-23."

The reality of OS/2 is that IBM owns it lock, stock and barrel and
their decision to cease development and to stop selling it means that
no matter who or what promises you they can extend the life and keep
your OS/2 system viable, it simply isn't true.

Those few people using OS/2 today (2008) are now so far behind the
"computing norm" that they are considered relics. OS/2 users were
once ahead of the pack and today, if they exist, are tottering along
far back over the horizon it isn't funny.

They are going to have to move on. To believe Serenity is going to
save their operating system is not only foolish but downright stupid -
and I know OS/2 users are not innately stupid. The longer they wait
to move forward the harder it is going to be.

For me, I had to look at the options. There was Windows which was the
natural enemy. Linux with no corporate support to speak of and
entirely dependent on cranks and geeks (we have enough of them here,
MI5 is a fine example as well as Marty) and OS X. The latter is not
only a fully certified Unix OS but it has an assured future and is
currently beyond the scope of any other operating system out there and
available today.

Apple's move to Intel made OS X even more important and viable for the
OS/2 user because it meant, with a little help from the VPC
developers, I could still run my OS/2 apps until they either failed to
work for me or I found an OS X equivalent. I also knew that OS X was
an object oriented operating system, just like OS/2, so that
transition over was going to be very easy for me whereas a Windows-
centric user would find the transition much more frustrating.

Within two weeks of buying a Mac the only application that I missed
under OS/2 was PMView. I wrote to Peter to encourage development of a
universal version of PMView for the Mac community because I felt it
would be a worthwhile project and application. Today I don't feel
that way at all. OS X comes with so many built-in graphical programs
that edit, adjust, convert, etc., and does all those things so easily
and intuitively that I doubt PMView for the Mac would pay off for
Peter.

The future: The optical drive is on the path of the floppy. This
year (2008) we're going to see laptops and desktops released without
built-in DVDRW/CDRW hardware. Impossible! Can't happen! But
remember, people said the same thing about the floppy drive and today
you don't give floppies a second thought. The iPhone is already one
such device. And Apple is about to announce (and compete head on with
NetFlix) a new iTunes Movie rental business with such heavy hitters as
20th Century Fox, Disney, Paramount, Sony, Miramax and a slew of
independent movie distributors and libraries. The same day a movie is
released to theaters you'll be able to download it directly to your
computing device (iPod, iPhone, iMac, Mac Book, Mac Pro, AppleTV) and
watch it as many times as you want over a 24 hour period.

Apple will probably announce an "ultra" thin laptop on January 15th at
MacWorld. It won't have an optical drive but they'll sell you one
that can be connected via USB and the hard drive will be replaced with
a flash drive(s). Replace the standard hard drive and remove the
internal optical drive and you're going to see a very thin laptop more
powerful then anything on the market today, equipped with Penryn 3Ghz
dual core Intel chips, 802.11n (high speed) WiFi, BlueTooth, paper
thin-backlit displays and more. You won't stick a stack of DVDs in
your luggage when you travel, you load up your keychain ThumbDrive
with all of your favorite programs, TV Shows, and movies and plug them
into your MacBook USB port.

So do you see where computing is going? Do you realize OS/2 will
never be able to go there and the longer you deny yourself the more
frustrated and disillusioned you are going to be.

The best advice I can give to *all* former and current OS/2 users is
to accept the fate of OS/2 and commit yourself to another OS.

Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
http://www.os2guy.com