VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama - OS2

This is a discussion on VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama - OS2 ; Hi, I'm trying Pauls latest build 20080105 of VirtualBox on my ThinkPad T60. I've eCS20rc1 with the latest ACPI and Panorama installed and tried to make a WinXP-installation on this system. I started the installation with: VBoxBFE -hda ....\WinXPPro.vdi -cdrom ...

  1. VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    Hi,

    I'm trying Pauls latest build 20080105 of VirtualBox on my ThinkPad T60.

    I've eCS20rc1 with the latest ACPI and Panorama installed and tried to
    make a WinXP-installation on this system.

    I started the installation with:

    VBoxBFE -hda ....\WinXPPro.vdi -cdrom ....\WXPPSP2_OEM.iso -boot d

    and it worked more or less.

    More means that I was able to install and run WinXP in a great
    performance, less means that is it useless anyway because in the
    VBox-window only 30% are used to show the VM.

    From the BIOS-screen the VM comes up in b/w and compressed in this 30%,
    so the Windows-installation was only possible because I knew what it was
    asking me!

    Any ideas? Anbody out there who has running VBox/2 with eCS20rc and
    Panorama?

    Thanks a lot,
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  2. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 23:27:21 UTC, Thorolf Godawa
    wrote:

    -> Hi,
    ->
    -> I'm trying Pauls latest build 20080105 of VirtualBox on my ThinkPad T60.
    ->
    -> I've eCS20rc1 with the latest ACPI and Panorama installed and tried to
    -> make a WinXP-installation on this system.
    ->
    -> I started the installation with:
    ->
    -> VBoxBFE -hda ....\WinXPPro.vdi -cdrom ....\WXPPSP2_OEM.iso -boot d
    ->
    -> and it worked more or less.
    ->
    -> More means that I was able to install and run WinXP in a great
    -> performance, less means that is it useless anyway because in the
    -> VBox-window only 30% are used to show the VM.
    ->
    -> From the BIOS-screen the VM comes up in b/w and compressed in this 30%,
    -> so the Windows-installation was only possible because I knew what it was
    -> asking me!
    ->
    -> Any ideas? Anbody out there who has running VBox/2 with eCS20rc and
    -> Panorama?
    ->

    I'm using SNAP on my T42p here and the VBox/2 window is fine. Sorry
    but I have yet to try Panaorama, since the ATI graphics in this T42p
    is well supported by SNAP. No sound and no networking though so for
    now its just one more thing to test.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  3. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    Hi Thorolf,

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:27:21 +0100, Thorolf Godawa wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying Pauls latest build 20080105 of VirtualBox on my ThinkPad T60.
    >
    >I've eCS20rc1 with the latest ACPI and Panorama installed and tried to
    >make a WinXP-installation on this system.
    >
    >I started the installation with:
    >
    >VBoxBFE -hda ....\WinXPPro.vdi -cdrom ....\WXPPSP2_OEM.iso -boot d
    >
    >and it worked more or less.
    >
    >More means that I was able to install and run WinXP in a great
    >performance, less means that is it useless anyway because in the
    >VBox-window only 30% are used to show the VM.
    >
    >From the BIOS-screen the VM comes up in b/w and compressed in this 30%,
    >so the Windows-installation was only possible because I knew what it was
    >asking me!
    >
    >Any ideas? Anbody out there who has running VBox/2 with eCS20rc and
    >Panorama?
    >
    >Thanks a lot,
    >--

    I am not using Panorama... but did you install the VirtualBox extensions?
    They upgrade the VM screen res. Also, I find the performance is better using
    the 'QT' VirtualBox.exe to run the VM (no annoying 'triple-click', or chopped
    off fonts). Just install the Odin Win32k.sys driver before trying it...

    Dave McKenna

  4. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    on 09.01.08 00.27 Thorolf Godawa wrote:
    > I'm trying Pauls latest build 20080105 of VirtualBox on my ThinkPad T60.
    >
    > I've eCS20rc1 with the latest ACPI and Panorama installed and tried to
    > make a WinXP-installation on this system.
    >

    > More means that I was able to install and run WinXP in a great
    > performance, less means that is it useless anyway because in the
    > VBox-window only 30% are used to show the VM.
    >
    > From the BIOS-screen the VM comes up in b/w and compressed in this 30%,
    > so the Windows-installation was only possible because I knew what it was
    > asking me!
    >
    > Any ideas? Anbody out there who has running VBox/2 with eCS20rc and
    > Panorama?

    Same here (eCS20rc4) :-(

    But it is the first time that VirtualBox is starting with Panorama as the 20080101 build showed this
    error:
    VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Dec 31 2007 20:02:15
    Unable to open SDDHELP$ helper device driver!

    Then I temporarily switched to SNAP and the 20080101 build stated without any problems.

  5. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    On 9 Gen, 08:24, hermi wrote:
    > on 09.01.08 00.27 Thorolf Godawa wrote:
    >

    > > I'm trying Pauls latest build 20080105 of VirtualBox on my ThinkPad T60.

    > > I've eCS20rc1 with the latest ACPI and Panorama installed and tried to
    > > make a WinXP-installation on this system.

    > > More means that I was able to install and run WinXP in a great
    > > performance, less means that is it useless anyway because in the
    > > VBox-window only 30% are used to show the VM.

    > > From the BIOS-screen the VM comes up in b/w and compressed in this 30%,
    > > so the Windows-installation was only possible because I knew what it was
    > > asking me!

    > > Any ideas? Anbody out there who has running VBox/2 with eCS20rc and
    > > Panorama?

    > Same here (eCS20rc4) :-(
    >
    > But it is the first time that VirtualBox is starting with Panorama as the 20080101 build showed this
    > error:
    > * *VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Dec 31 2007 20:02:15
    > * *Unable to open SDDHELP$ helper device driver!
    >
    > Then I temporarily switched to SNAP and the 20080101 build stated without any problems.- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -

    This is easily resolved by switching SDL to the DIVE version. Just
    look into ftp.netlabs.org.

    Mentore

  6. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    on 09.01.08 09.35 mentoruccio wrote:
    >> But it is the first time that VirtualBox is starting with Panorama as the 20080101 build showed this
    >> error:
    >> VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Dec 31 2007 20:02:15
    >> Unable to open SDDHELP$ helper device driver!
    >>
    >> Then I temporarily switched to SNAP and the 20080101 build stated without any problems.- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -

    > This is easily resolved by switching SDL to the DIVE version. Just
    > look into ftp.netlabs.org.

    It seems that the SDL12.DLL shipped with the 20080101 build didn't support DIVE.

  7. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    On 9 Gen, 09:52, hermi wrote:
    > on 09.01.08 09.35 mentoruccio wrote:
    >
    > >> But it is the first time that VirtualBox is starting with Panorama as the 20080101 build showed this
    > >> error:
    > >> * *VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Dec 31 2007 20:02:15
    > >> * *Unable to open SDDHELP$ helper device driver!

    > >> Then I temporarily switched to SNAP and the 20080101 build stated without any problems.- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -

    > > This is easily resolved by switching SDL to the DIVE version. Just
    > > look into ftp.netlabs.org.

    > It seems that the SDL12.DLL shipped with the 20080101 build didn't supportDIVE.

    I don't remember correctly, but I'm pretty sure there's a SDL build
    with DIVE support. Doodle made it upon many requests: I tried it
    myself with good results (altough not as good as SNAP, but on a fast
    machine the difference is really minimal).

    Mentore

  8. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    on 09.01.08 12.31 mentoruccio wrote:

    >>> This is easily resolved by switching SDL to the DIVE version. Just
    >>> look into ftp.netlabs.org.

    >> It seems that the SDL12.DLL shipped with the 20080101 build didn't support DIVE.

    > I don't remember correctly, but I'm pretty sure there's a SDL build
    > with DIVE support. Doodle made it upon many requests: I tried it
    > myself with good results (altough not as good as SNAP, but on a fast
    > machine the difference is really minimal).

    Yes, that is correct.

    The new VirtualBox build 20080105 has such an SDL12.DLL included and now works with panorama/DIVE
    too but shows the problems Thorolf described.

  9. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:52:05 UTC, hermi
    wrote:

    > on 09.01.08 09.35 mentoruccio wrote:
    > >> But it is the first time that VirtualBox is starting with Panorama as the 20080101 build showed this
    > >> error:
    > >> VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Dec 31 2007 20:02:15
    > >> Unable to open SDDHELP$ helper device driver!
    > >>
    > >> Then I temporarily switched to SNAP and the 20080101 build stated without any problems.- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -

    > > This is easily resolved by switching SDL to the DIVE version. Just
    > > look into ftp.netlabs.org.
    > >

    > It seems that the SDL12.DLL shipped with the 20080101 build didn't support DIVE.

    Correct - problem between chair and keyboard!!

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  10. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    Hi Paul

    >> It seems that the SDL12.DLL shipped with the 20080101 build didn't support DIVE.

    > Correct - problem between chair and keyboard!!

    OK, but the 20080105-version (with SDL12.dll, 30.07.07 23.33, 186.325)
    does not have this problem?

    As far as I see, there is nobody out there who uses VBox/2 successfully
    with Panorama?

    Thanks,
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  11. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    Hi Thorolf,

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:50:12 UTC, Thorolf Godawa
    wrote:

    > Hi Paul
    >
    > >> It seems that the SDL12.DLL shipped with the 20080101 build didn't support DIVE.

    > > Correct - problem between chair and keyboard!!

    > OK, but the 20080105-version (with SDL12.dll, 30.07.07 23.33, 186.325)
    > does not have this problem?
    >
    > As far as I see, there is nobody out there who uses VBox/2 successfully
    > with Panorama?

    Dunno - but I know that Doodle is working on a version of SDL that
    uses vman instead of Dive - presumably to help problems like this.

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  12. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    Hi Paul,

    >> As far as I see, there is nobody out there who uses VBox/2 successfully
    >> with Panorama?

    > Dunno - but I know that Doodle is working on a version of SDL that
    > uses vman instead of Dive - presumably to help problems like this.

    yes, and it seems that this beta-dll solves my problem :-)

    So next thing will be the Windows-additions I probably have to extract
    from from official VBox-versions and finaly networking.

    Is it correct that on WXP there is no network-adapter installed at all?
    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  13. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    On 11 Gen, 09:13, "Paul Smedley"
    wrote:

    > Dunno - but I know that Doodle is working on a version of SDL that
    > uses vman instead of Dive - presumably to help problems like this.

    Hi Paul,

    How would this VMAN aware version of SDL behave in your opinion?
    I don't know Vman enough to tell if it might be better (speed) than
    DIVE.

    Mentore

  14. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    on 11.01.08 10.33 Thorolf Godawa wrote:
    >> Dunno - but I know that Doodle is working on a version of SDL that
    >> uses vman instead of Dive - presumably to help problems like this.

    > yes, and it seems that this beta-dll solves my problem :-)

    Could you send me this SDL version so that I can test it too?

    Thanks,
    Hermann

  15. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    Paul Smedley wrote:
    > Hi Thorolf,
    >
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:50:12 UTC, Thorolf Godawa
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Paul

    >>>Correct - problem between chair and keyboard!!

    >>OK, but the 20080105-version (with SDL12.dll, 30.07.07 23.33, 186.325)
    >>does not have this problem?
    >>
    >>As far as I see, there is nobody out there who uses VBox/2 successfully
    >>with Panorama?

    > Dunno - but I know that Doodle is working on a version of SDL that
    > uses vman instead of Dive - presumably to help problems like this.

    Is there anything wrong with his implementation of DIVE? It supports
    various kinds of 2D acceleration that I don't think you'll get going
    straight to VMAN. I've worked around a lot of its kinks in the past,
    and it can be quite usable. FSDIVE is another issue unfortunately.

  16. Re: VirtualBox on ThinkPad T60 with Panorama

    Hi Mentore,

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:44:38 UTC, mentoruccio
    wrote:

    > On 11 Gen, 09:13, "Paul Smedley"
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Dunno - but I know that Doodle is working on a version of SDL that
    > > uses vman instead of Dive - presumably to help problems like this.

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > How would this VMAN aware version of SDL behave in your opinion?
    > I don't know Vman enough to tell if it might be better (speed) than
    > DIVE.

    I have no clue - Doodle is the guru

    --
    Cheers,