re how to differentiate between self extracting zip, Arj, arj, warpinfile exe - OS2

This is a discussion on re how to differentiate between self extracting zip, Arj, arj, warpinfile exe - OS2 ; Hi I have been working on a front end arhiver program, originally called TarGzipPm, if anyone remembers it (renamed WarpArchiver) It now supports the following file formats/extensions Arj Tar.gz, Rar, LHZ MS Cab Files Warp installer (with some limitation) Red ...

  1. re how to differentiate between self extracting zip, Arj, arj, warpinfile exe

    Hi

    I have been working on a front end arhiver program, originally called
    TarGzipPm, if anyone remembers it (renamed WarpArchiver) It now
    supports the following file formats/extensions Arj Tar.gz, Rar, LHZ MS
    Cab Files Warp installer (with some limitation) Red hat Package files
    etc and zip including (including XPI files) as well as a number of other
    formats.

    I have hit a snag, I need to peek into a file with the exe extension, to
    discover if it is a self extracting file, and what type it is eg zip,
    arj cab etc, it can be done in C (rexx dll) or using the Rexx's stream
    commands! has anyone got any ideas as to the best was of going about this

    Regards

    Adrian

  2. Re: re how to differentiate between self extracting zip, Arj, arj,warpin file exe

    Adrian Suri wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have been working on a front end arhiver program, originally called
    > TarGzipPm, if anyone remembers it (renamed WarpArchiver) It now
    > supports the following file formats/extensions Arj Tar.gz, Rar, LHZ MS
    > Cab Files Warp installer (with some limitation) Red hat Package files
    > etc and zip including (including XPI files) as well as a number of other
    > formats.
    >
    > I have hit a snag, I need to peek into a file with the exe extension, to
    > discover if it is a self extracting file, and what type it is eg zip,
    > arj cab etc, it can be done in C (rexx dll) or using the Rexx's stream
    > commands! has anyone got any ideas as to the best was of going about this

    I think what most tools do is search for a header for the format(s) that
    they support, and see which one sticks. (Check out Info-Zip as an
    example.) It'll be really hard otherwise I think.

  3. Re: re how to differentiate between self extracting zip, Arj, arj, warpin file exe

    In <0xYcj.55763$036.18817@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, on 12/28/2007
    at 01:43 AM, Adrian Suri said:

    Hi,

    >I have hit a snag, I need to peek into a file with the exe extension, to
    >discover if it is a self extracting file, and what type it is eg zip,
    >arj cab etc, it can be done in C (rexx dll) or using the Rexx's stream
    >commands! has anyone got any ideas as to the best was of going about
    >this

    Peeking is easy. What is a bit more difficult is defining a database of
    archiver signatures and actions. About 20 years ago someone, possibly
    Mark Kimes, invented archiver.bb2 files. These describe how to detect
    specific archiver types using several methods and how to buld the command
    that execute the various archiving commands. I suspect you getting close
    to having reinvented some variant of this. You might look at the fm/2
    sources and the supplied archiver.bb2. This archiver.bb2 file supports a
    wide variety of archivers, sfx formats included.

    Regards,

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 10pre #10183

  4. Re: re how to differentiate between self extracting zip, Arj, arj, warpin file exe

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:43:24 UTC, Adrian Suri
    wrote:

    > I have been working on a front end arhiver program, originally called
    > TarGzipPm, if anyone remembers it (renamed WarpArchiver) It now
    > supports the following file formats/extensions Arj Tar.gz, Rar, LHZ MS
    > Cab Files Warp installer (with some limitation) Red hat Package files
    > etc and zip including (including XPI files) as well as a number of other
    > formats.
    >
    > I have hit a snag, I need to peek into a file with the exe extension, to
    > discover if it is a self extracting file, and what type it is eg zip,
    > arj cab etc, it can be done in C (rexx dll) or using the Rexx's stream
    > commands! has anyone got any ideas as to the best was of going about this

    A year or two ago, Veit Kannegieser sent me some REXX snippets
    to do exactly this. They've been in the queue for me to add to
    ARCVIEW ever since. I just haven't found enough round tuits to
    get it done yet...

    I don't have them right now (they're buried on my currently non-
    functional desktop PC) but maybe Veit can extend the favour to
    you as well... not sure if he monitors this group or not.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.