ghostscript - OS2

This is a discussion on ghostscript - OS2 ; I notice that after more than a month that Ghostscript 8.61 was released, still there is not an os/2 binary available for download on SurceForge. Does that means that it only contains fixes which are unrelevant to os/2 or that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: ghostscript

  1. ghostscript

    I notice that after more than a month that Ghostscript 8.61 was
    released, still there is not an os/2 binary available for download on
    SurceForge.
    Does that means that it only contains fixes which are unrelevant to os/2
    or that we have to build our own binaries from now on?

    thanks,
    Piersante

  2. Re: ghostscript

    Hi Piersante,

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:07:35 UTC, piesse wrote:

    > I notice that after more than a month that Ghostscript 8.61 was
    > released, still there is not an os/2 binary available for download on
    > SurceForge.
    > Does that means that it only contains fixes which are unrelevant to os/2
    > or that we have to build our own binaries from now on?

    Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    build.

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  3. Re: ghostscript

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:35:51 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:

    >Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    >build.


    Sounds great. Looking forward to it!

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --

    Andreas Ludwig
    Vancouver, BC
    using PMINews 2 on eCS 1.2R German!
    http://andreas-ludwig.info/




  4. Re: ghostscript

    Announcement to follow.....

    but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:01:37 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:35:51 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:
    >
    > >Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    > >build.

    >
    > Sounds great. Looking forward to it!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andreas
    >



    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  5. Re: ghostscript

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:12:44 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:

    >Announcement to follow.....
    >
    >but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript


    Great. I will give it a try tomorrow - need some sleep ,o)

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --

    Andreas Ludwig
    Vancouver, BC
    using PMINews 2 on eCS 1.2R German!
    http://andreas-ludwig.info/




  6. Re: ghostscript

    Great, thanks!

    Piersante



    Paul Smedley wrote:
    > Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    > build.
    >


  7. Re: ghostscript

    Paul Smedley wrote:
    > Announcement to follow.....
    >
    > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript
    >


    it includes a LIBCUPS.DLL instead of the usual gsdll2.dll...

    Piersante


  8. Re: ghostscript

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:12:44 UTC, "Paul Smedley" wrote:

    > Announcement to follow.....
    >
    > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript


    I don't find a way to use that with GSview as it doesn't contain
    gsdll2.dll. There's libcups.dll (don't know if that is actually useful
    on OS/2 without eCUPS installed but that explains why the package is so
    big) but that doesn't have "gsapi_revision". I guess you just used the
    /configure && make routine instead of the OS/2 makefiles?

    I think it would be better to make a gs8.61 release just like the old
    ones, based on EMX and the OS/2 makefile(s). I am trying but it seems
    that my EMX environment is broken somehow...
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam once a week

  9. Re: ghostscript

    Thanks Paul .. question though ..

    Paul Smedley wrote:
    > Announcement to follow.....
    >
    > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript
    >
    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:01:37 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:35:51 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    >>> build.

    >> Sounds great. Looking forward to it!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Andreas
    >>

    >
    >


    I installed ghostscript through the process of installing Ghostview 4.8 for
    OS/2 some time back. In this case the entire .ZIP file was just cited in the
    installation routine for that. To help shorten the research time, can you tell
    me quickly how to 'update' to this new version of ghostscript for testing here?

    I suspect others might have this same question at this point.

    Thanks.

    --


    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  10. Re: ghostscript

    Hi Peter,

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:26:22 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:12:44 UTC, "Paul Smedley" wrote:
    >
    > > Announcement to follow.....
    > >
    > > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript

    >
    > I don't find a way to use that with GSview as it doesn't contain
    > gsdll2.dll. There's libcups.dll (don't know if that is actually useful
    > on OS/2 without eCUPS installed but that explains why the package is so
    > big) but that doesn't have "gsapi_revision". I guess you just used the
    > /configure && make routine instead of the OS/2 makefiles?


    OK I don't use gsview - so didn't worry too much about creating the
    DLL. I hit problems making gsdll2.dll so stuck with a static build.

    libcups is included only so that this build can be used with eCUPS and
    to save me having to do 2 different builds...

    I am actually used a hacked version of the OS2 makefiles

    > I think it would be better to make a gs8.61 release just like the old
    > ones, based on EMX and the OS/2 makefile(s). I am trying but it seems
    > that my EMX environment is broken somehow...

    Mine too - let me see if I can get the DLL stuff working with libc....
    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  11. Re: ghostscript

    On 12/27/07 08:17 am, Paul Smedley wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:26:22 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:12:44 UTC, "Paul Smedley" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Announcement to follow.....
    >>>
    >>> but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript

    >> I don't find a way to use that with GSview as it doesn't contain
    >> gsdll2.dll. There's libcups.dll (don't know if that is actually useful
    >> on OS/2 without eCUPS installed but that explains why the package is so
    >> big) but that doesn't have "gsapi_revision". I guess you just used the
    >> /configure && make routine instead of the OS/2 makefiles?

    >
    > OK I don't use gsview - so didn't worry too much about creating the
    > DLL. I hit problems making gsdll2.dll so stuck with a static build.
    >
    > libcups is included only so that this build can be used with eCUPS and
    > to save me having to do 2 different builds...
    >
    > I am actually used a hacked version of the OS2 makefiles
    >
    >> I think it would be better to make a gs8.61 release just like the old
    >> ones, based on EMX and the OS/2 makefile(s). I am trying but it seems
    >> that my EMX environment is broken somehow...

    > Mine too - let me see if I can get the DLL stuff working with libc....


    I should be able to build an emx version here including installer etc.
    I'll try later and post results
    Dave


  12. Re: ghostscript

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:39:35 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Thanks Paul .. question though ..
    >
    > Paul Smedley wrote:
    > > Announcement to follow.....
    > >
    > > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript
    > >
    > > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:01:37 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:35:51 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    > >>> build.
    > >> Sounds great. Looking forward to it!
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Andreas
    > >>

    > >
    > >

    >
    > I installed ghostscript through the process of installing Ghostview 4.8 for
    > OS/2 some time back. In this case the entire .ZIP file was just cited in the
    > installation routine for that. To help shorten the research time, can you tell
    > me quickly how to 'update' to this new version of ghostscript for testing here?
    >
    > I suspect others might have this same question at this point.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >


    I renamed the ghost script file to the same convention as gsview
    expected, gs861os2.zip. Unfortunately, PMPDF exits with an error code
    -255, and it is my main usage for ghost.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net
    http://7cities.net/~mckinnis/

  13. Re: ghostscript

    Hi Again,

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:17:22 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:26:22 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
    > wrote:
    > > I think it would be better to make a gs8.61 release just like the old
    > > ones, based on EMX and the OS/2 makefile(s). I am trying but it seems
    > > that my EMX environment is broken somehow...

    > Mine too - let me see if I can get the DLL stuff working with libc....


    Please try http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip - still built
    with libc - but tested as working with gsview 4.9

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  14. Re: ghostscript

    Hi Mike,

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:39:35 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Thanks Paul .. question though ..
    >
    > Paul Smedley wrote:
    > > Announcement to follow.....
    > >
    > > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript
    > >
    > > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:01:37 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:35:51 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    > >>> build.
    > >> Sounds great. Looking forward to it!
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Andreas
    > >>

    > >
    > >

    >
    > I installed ghostscript through the process of installing Ghostview 4.8 for
    > OS/2 some time back. In this case the entire .ZIP file was just cited in the
    > installation routine for that. To help shorten the research time, can you tell
    > me quickly how to 'update' to this new version of ghostscript for testing here?
    >
    > I suspect others might have this same question at this point.


    Please try http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip - this comes with
    a gsdll2.dll and a directory structure the same as the gsview
    installer expects. I've tested by installing gsview 4.9 with
    Ghostscript 8.61

    --

    Cheers,

    Paul.

  15. Re: ghostscript

    Hi Chuck,

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:57:05 UTC, "Chuck McKinnis"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:39:35 UTC, Mike Luther
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Paul .. question though ..
    > >
    > > Paul Smedley wrote:
    > > > Announcement to follow.....
    > > >
    > > > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript
    > > >
    > > > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:01:37 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:35:51 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:
    > > >>
    > > >>> Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    > > >>> build.
    > > >> Sounds great. Looking forward to it!
    > > >>
    > > >> Cheers
    > > >> Andreas
    > > >>
    > > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > I installed ghostscript through the process of installing Ghostview 4.8 for
    > > OS/2 some time back. In this case the entire .ZIP file was just cited in the
    > > installation routine for that. To help shorten the research time, can you tell
    > > me quickly how to 'update' to this new version of ghostscript for testing here?
    > >
    > > I suspect others might have this same question at this point.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    >
    > I renamed the ghost script file to the same convention as gsview
    > expected, gs861os2.zip. Unfortunately, PMPDF exits with an error code
    > -255, and it is my main usage for ghost.


    I suspect that PMPDF needs the DLL version of Ghostscript - this is
    contained in http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  16. Re: ghostscript

    Hi Piersante,

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:59:25 UTC, piesse wrote:
    > Paul Smedley wrote:
    > > Announcement to follow.....
    > >
    > > but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript
    > >

    >
    > it includes a LIBCUPS.DLL instead of the usual gsdll2.dll...


    Please try http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  17. Re: ghostscript

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:53:06 UTC, "Paul Smedley" wrote:

    > Please try http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip - still built
    > with libc - but tested as working with gsview 4.9


    Thanks Paul, we're getting there. gsos2.dll now depends on libcups.dll
    to be on LIBPATH, and so at least for me GSview still doesn't run,
    unless of course I copy libcups.dll to the LIBPATH or add the gs8.61\bin
    path to it which I don't really want to do. Any way to change it to
    search in the directory of gsos2.dll (haven't looked at the sources...)
    or remove the requirement of cups support from gsos2.dll?

    You could also lxlite all exes and dlls in the package to save 1.9 MB (I
    usually use /ydd /yxd /d to keep chkdll32 working).

    Btw, has anybody asked Russell Lang if he will make a 8.61 version?
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam once a week

  18. Re: ghostscript

    OK - tried it but ..

    Paul Smedley wrote:
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:39:35 UTC, Mike Luther
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Paul .. question though ..
    >>
    >> Paul Smedley wrote:
    >>> Announcement to follow.....
    >>>
    >>> but try http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/ind...ge=ghostscript
    >>>
    >>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:01:37 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:35:51 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Dunno - but I have it built here - if I get time today, I'll upload a
    >>>>> build.
    >>>> Sounds great. Looking forward to it!
    >>>>
    >>>> Cheers
    >>>> Andreas
    >>>>
    >>>

    >> I installed ghostscript through the process of installing Ghostview 4.8 for
    >> OS/2 some time back. In this case the entire .ZIP file was just cited in the
    >> installation routine for that. To help shorten the research time, can you tell
    >> me quickly how to 'update' to this new version of ghostscript for testing here?
    >>
    >> I suspect others might have this same question at this point.

    >
    > Please try http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip - this comes with
    > a gsdll2.dll and a directory structure the same as the gsview
    > installer expects. I've tested by installing gsview 4.9 with
    > Ghostscript 8.61
    >
    > --
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Paul.


    I just downloaded this from the URL as cited above. I went to the site and got
    the gsview 4.9 version for OS/2. I did as instructed and 'installed' it with
    your new Ghostscript 8.61 over the already installed 4.8 version that was
    working here.

    Now, whenever I try to view any file, which was kept in the previous file
    roster of viewing for the old 4.8 version, I get an error "Can't load
    Ghostscript DLL" and the program will go no further...

    What now?



    --


    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  19. Re: ghostscript

    Added data for your note on nonloaded DLL

    Paul Smedley wrote:

    > Please try http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip - this comes with
    > a gsdll2.dll and a directory structure the same as the gsview
    > installer expects. I've tested by installing gsview 4.9 with
    > Ghostscript 8.61
    >
    > --
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Paul.


    Paul, I've checked. The proper path and so on in my case is:

    D:\GS\gs8.61\bin

    and the file post install is there:

    Directory of D:\GS\gs8.61\bin

    12-28-07 10:57a 3758692 0 gsdll2.dll

    Yet I still get the failure to load error I cited in the previous message.


    --


    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  20. Re: ghostscript

    Hi Mike,
    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 04:58:04 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Added data for your note on nonloaded DLL
    >
    > Paul Smedley wrote:
    >
    > > Please try http://download.smedley.info/gs861os2.zip - this comes with
    > > a gsdll2.dll and a directory structure the same as the gsview
    > > installer expects. I've tested by installing gsview 4.9 with
    > > Ghostscript 8.61
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Paul.

    >
    > Paul, I've checked. The proper path and so on in my case is:
    >
    > D:\GS\gs8.61\bin
    >
    > and the file post install is there:
    >
    > Directory of D:\GS\gs8.61\bin
    >
    > 12-28-07 10:57a 3758692 0 gsdll2.dll
    >
    > Yet I still get the failure to load error I cited in the previous message.


    Try copying the libcups.dll from D:\GS\gs8.61\bin to somewhere in the
    libpath....

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast