desktop strangeness - OS2

This is a discussion on desktop strangeness - OS2 ; All of a sudden, the background color when I click on an icon has changed. Also, when I reboot, the icons don't fully appear until I hit sort. I've cleaned the ini files, but that didn't help. What else should ...

  1. desktop strangeness

    All of a sudden, the background color when I click on an icon has changed.
    Also, when I reboot, the icons don't fully appear until I hit sort. I've
    cleaned the ini files, but that didn't help. What else should I try?

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

  2. Re: desktop strangeness

    Sir:

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > All of a sudden, the background color when I click on an icon has changed.
    > Also, when I reboot, the icons don't fully appear until I hit sort. I've
    > cleaned the ini files, but that didn't help. What else should I try?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Alan

    By any chance you've installed the latest Cairo graphics toolkit? I've
    noticed that icons' text labels color are not consistent, with
    transparent background selected. If so, use Warpin and uninstall it.
    Let us know what happens. I don't want to try as I've install WPS
    Wizard latest, which uses Cairo.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: desktop strangeness

    On Dec 22, 4:06 pm, nob...@junk.min.net wrote:
    > All of a sudden, the background color when I click on an icon has changed.
    > Also, when I reboot, the icons don't fully appear until I hit sort. I've
    > cleaned the ini files, but that didn't help. What else should I try?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan

    Do you have a recent backup of the system you can restore with the
    bootup recovery menu?.

    David

  4. Re: desktop strangeness

    In , on
    12/23/07
    at 10:36 AM, dwgras@swbell.net said:

    >> All of a sudden, the background color when I click on an icon has changed.
    >> Also, when I reboot, the icons don't fully appear until I hit sort. I've
    >> cleaned the ini files, but that didn't help. What else should I try?
    >>

    >Do you have a recent backup of the system you can restore with the bootup
    >recovery menu?.

    I tried that. Same scenarios afterward.

    If I want to restore drive C from a full backup, do I have to do it as if
    it's a crash recovery, or can I restore using the backup program from the
    desktop?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

  5. Re: desktop strangeness

    In <476ea9a1$0$11123$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 12/23/07
    at 12:31 PM, "William L. Hartzell" said:

    >By any chance you've installed the latest Cairo graphics toolkit? I've
    >noticed that icons' text labels color are not consistent, with
    >transparent background selected. If so, use Warpin and uninstall it. Let
    >us know what happens. I don't want to try as I've install WPS Wizard
    >latest, which uses Cairo.

    I've installed WPS Wizard. I didn't specifically install Cairo graphics -
    does WPS Wizard installe them?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

  6. Re: desktop strangeness

    On 12/23/07 12:41 pm, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > In <476ea9a1$0$11123$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 12/23/07
    > at 12:31 PM, "William L. Hartzell" said:
    >
    >> By any chance you've installed the latest Cairo graphics toolkit? I've
    >> noticed that icons' text labels color are not consistent, with
    >> transparent background selected. If so, use Warpin and uninstall it. Let
    >> us know what happens. I don't want to try as I've install WPS Wizard
    >> latest, which uses Cairo.

    > I've installed WPS Wizard. I didn't specifically install Cairo graphics -
    > does WPS Wizard installe them?
    >
    > Alan

    You need to install them yourself, ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/Cairo/
    IIRC you also need the Innotek Font engine,
    http://www.innotek.de/index.php?opti...d=28&Itemid=44
    Dave

  7. Re: desktop strangeness

    In <476ec810$1$nynaurff$mr2ice@newsgroups.comcast.net>, nobody@junk.min.net writes:
    >In , on
    >12/23/07
    > at 10:36 AM, dwgras@swbell.net said:
    >
    >>> All of a sudden, the background color when I click on an icon has changed.
    >>> Also, when I reboot, the icons don't fully appear until I hit sort. I've
    >>> cleaned the ini files, but that didn't help. What else should I try?
    >>>

    >>Do you have a recent backup of the system you can restore with the bootup
    >>recovery menu?.

    >I tried that. Same scenarios afterward.
    >
    >If I want to restore drive C from a full backup, do I have to do it as if
    >it's a crash recovery, or can I restore using the backup program from the
    >desktop?

    I would boot to a maintenance partition then restore the failed partition.

+ Reply to Thread