Warp + Linux - OS2

This is a discussion on Warp + Linux - OS2 ; Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive with Warp and Boot Manager?...

  1. Warp + Linux

    Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive with
    Warp and Boot Manager?

  2. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:04:52 +0000, johnsuth wrote:

    > Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive
    > with Warp and Boot Manager?

    They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS.
    Make sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition
    and you can add that to the OS/2 BM. Be aware that Ubuntu (Yuck!)
    will not give you this option and puts it in the MBR by default.

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  3. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Dec 21, 10:04 pm, johns...@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive with
    > Warp and Boot Manager?

    somehow I managed to configure the old installation of Suse 10.1 on my
    Thinkpad T22 to boot Boot Manager, with Suse visible. when I
    installed 10.2 a few weeks ago, however, it managed to put its
    bootloader "ahead" of BM, though it recognizes BM.

    the result is that the Thinkpad boots to the Suse bootloader screen,
    which does not include either eCS or my maintenance partition -- but
    does include "OS/2 Boot Manager." however, the BM screen offers only
    two options: Windoze and the base eCS installation, and does not
    include the maintenance partition or for that matter, the Suse
    partition that it used to offer.

  4. Re: Warp + Linux

    On 12/21/07 07:04 pm, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive with
    > Warp and Boot Manager?

    Most do, the trick is to usually take the advanced install option and
    put grub/lilo in the linux partition instead of the MBR. I recently
    installed Ubuntu and it went and put grub in the MBR without a link to
    BM. Luckily I know enough to add BM and make it the default.
    At one time I filed a bug with Ubuntu, whatever you were booting before
    should be added to grub, like others do. eg Corel put BM in the lilo
    menu by its partition number, good enough. My bug got marked cosmetic
    which pissed me off.
    The other trick is to do the partitioning in OS/2 with fdisk or lvm and
    then tell the Linux install to install into that partition. In other
    words don't let the Linux fdisk etc do any partitioning. Just let it
    change the partition type and install the file system.
    DFsee is handy for this as well.
    Dave

  5. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:04:52 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:

    > Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive with
    > Warp and Boot Manager?

    Dunno, but I use the rather 'less imitation UNIX' FreeBSD quite happily.
    If OS/2 is already there, a standard install of FreeBSD sorts it all out
    with no special action.

    --
    Bob Eager

  6. Re: Warp + Linux

    Wayne wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:04:52 +0000, johnsuth wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive
    >> with Warp and Boot Manager?

    > They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS.
    > Make sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition
    > and you can add that to the OS/2 BM. Be aware that Ubuntu (Yuck!)
    > will not give you this option and puts it in the MBR by default.

    There is a version of Ubuntu that allows you to use "expert" settings on
    installions so that you can put Grub on the root partition- can't recall
    just what they call it, but best I recall it was the DVD iso. I got caught
    by the MBR hijack a couple of times before I caught on. Every distro I've
    tried makes you look carefully to find the option, though.

    --
    Will Honea

  7. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:20:01 -0700, Will Honea wrote:

    > There is a version of Ubuntu that allows you to use "expert" settings on
    > installions so that you can put Grub on the root partition- can't recall
    > just what they call it, but best I recall it was the DVD iso. I got
    > caught by the MBR hijack a couple of times before I caught on. Every
    > distro I've tried makes you look carefully to find the option, though.

    Linux Mint, I think. Good choice for a first distro as everything
    (codecs, etc) are included.

    Also doesn't have that &^*%% awful brown theme!

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  8. Re: Warp + Linux

    On 2007-12-22, rafe wrote:
    > somehow I managed to configure the old installation of Suse 10.1 on my
    > Thinkpad T22 to boot Boot Manager, with Suse visible. when I
    > installed 10.2 a few weeks ago, however, it managed to put its
    > bootloader "ahead" of BM, though it recognizes BM.

    I had the same problem. I could resolve it by first installing
    Suse bootloader to the Suse / partition and then writing a
    new bootrecord using dfsee.

    Franz

  9. Re: Warp + Linux

    Sir:

    Wayne wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:20:01 -0700, Will Honea wrote:
    >
    >> There is a version of Ubuntu that allows you to use "expert" settings on
    >> installions so that you can put Grub on the root partition- can't recall
    >> just what they call it, but best I recall it was the DVD iso. I got
    >> caught by the MBR hijack a couple of times before I caught on. Every
    >> distro I've tried makes you look carefully to find the option, though.

    > Linux Mint, I think. Good choice for a first distro as everything
    > (codecs, etc) are included.
    >
    > Also doesn't have that &^*%% awful brown theme!
    >
    > Wayne

    Suse has that Green theme. Want to compare ugly? About Suse this I'll
    say: the paid version has more applications and more codexes. I
    recently went from a paid Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10.2. The drop is
    noticeable. However, neither version's TV application(s) work.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  10. Re: Warp + Linux

    In , on 12/22/2007
    at 03:33 AM, Wayne said:

    >They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS. Make
    >sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition

    Why? Wouldn't /boot be a better choice?

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  11. Re: Warp + Linux

    In , on 12/22/2007
    at 03:04 AM, johnsuth@nospam.com.au said:

    >Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive
    >with Warp and Boot Manager?

    Not one ;-)

    They should all work, but with some the installer might force you to do
    some extra steps. I haven't had any problems with either dead rat or SuSE.
    I prefer to let the OS/2 BM load grub or lilo from /boot, but it works
    equally well letting grub or lilo boot OS/2, directly or via BM.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  12. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:26:39 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    wrote:

    -> In , on 12/22/2007
    -> at 03:33 AM, Wayne said:
    ->
    -> >They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS. Make
    -> >sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition
    ->
    -> Why? Wouldn't /boot be a better choice?

    I was always told to put it in root. However I just tried the Ubuntu
    DVD install a few weeks ago and completely forgot to look for that and
    it installed it to the MBR. That hosed my access to eCS. It also
    seemed to mess up the geometry or LVM data somehow and I loss access
    to all my JFS volumes even when I booted the eCS CD. I was able to
    fix everything with the use of DFSee and Jan's help, but can't access
    Ubuntu. I have heard there is a way to install Grub to / after the
    fact but haven't tried booting the DVD since the last fiasco. Has
    anyone done that successfully?

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  13. Re: Warp + Linux

    On 12/23/07 08:53 am, Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:26:39 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> In , on 12/22/2007
    > -> at 03:33 AM, Wayne said:
    > ->
    > -> >They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS. Make
    > -> >sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition
    > ->
    > -> Why? Wouldn't /boot be a better choice?
    >
    > I was always told to put it in root. However I just tried the Ubuntu
    > DVD install a few weeks ago and completely forgot to look for that and
    > it installed it to the MBR. That hosed my access to eCS. It also
    > seemed to mess up the geometry or LVM data somehow and I loss access
    > to all my JFS volumes even when I booted the eCS CD. I was able to
    > fix everything with the use of DFSee and Jan's help, but can't access
    > Ubuntu. I have heard there is a way to install Grub to / after the
    > fact but haven't tried booting the DVD since the last fiasco. Has
    > anyone done that successfully?
    >
    > Mark

    When I installed one of the older Ununtu (Hoary Hedgehog?) it was fairly
    easy to install grub into /boot and worked fine by using BM to access grub.
    Recently I installed the newest and there was no choices anywhere I
    could see and ended up with grub in the MBR. I then edited the grub
    configuration file (forget the name) and added BM to grub and make it
    the default so now I get grub which then chains to BM which launches OS/2.
    My hard drive partitions are still ok, probably because I installed into
    an existing partition, even JFS volumes are accessible from Ubuntu
    though I had to go in as root and give do a chmod on the JFS volumes as
    they had no permissions at all.
    I understand that there is an alternative install disk that does give
    support for installing grub into /boot or / but haven't used it.
    Ubuntu does not play nice with other operating systems, it did not add
    BM or my older Ubuntu install to the grub menu
    Dave

  14. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:26:39 -0500, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

    > In , on 12/22/2007
    > at 03:33 AM, Wayne said:
    >
    >>They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS.
    >>Make sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition

    > Why? Wouldn't /boot be a better choice?

    I've never seen that as a choice, unless it's hidden in some
    'advanced' configuration. Then again, most newbies usually
    start off with 3 partitions which doesn't include /boot:

    /
    swap
    /home

    Some of the more clueless (and there are plenty of them)
    don't make a /home and get in real trouble when they want
    to install a new version. Yesterday there was one windows
    moron who couldn't install Fedora because he couldn't find
    the Linux *.exe file or install file. Too dumb to boot the
    DVD! I usually tell them to stay with windows as they are
    not ready for Linux, or better yet sell the computer and
    buy a typewriter

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  15. Re: Warp + Linux

    You think they are qualified to load paper?
    At work I see people that put letter paper in a tray set for 11*17 inch.
    Then they say the printer is broken when it can't print the large sheets
    with small paper.
    I was told be a general manager that either get his printer to work
    correctly when he prints to A4 size in a printer that only holds letter
    size, or I get fired.
    I wrote my name on a piece of paper and handed it to him telling him he
    could spell it correctly on the complaint he was going to put in.
    He sat back a few seconds and then let me explain why it wasn't working.

    Rich W.

    Wayne wrote:
    > DVD! I usually tell them to stay with windows as they are
    > not ready for Linux, or better yet sell the computer and
    > buy a typewriter
    >
    > Wayne

  16. Re: Warp + Linux

    wrote:

    > >They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS. Make
    > >sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition

    > Why? Wouldn't /boot be a better choice?

    Only if /boot is its own partition.

    You have to put it in the boot sector of the partition that is
    actually supposed to be bootable...

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  17. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:33:58 UTC, Wayne wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:04:52 +0000, johnsuth wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a distribution of Linux that will exist comfortably on a drive
    > > with Warp and Boot Manager?

    > They should all do. I used to dual boot Mandrake (Mandriva) and eCS.
    > Make sure that the distro puts its Grub in the / (root) partition
    > and you can add that to the OS/2 BM. Be aware that Ubuntu (Yuck!)
    > will not give you this option and puts it in the MBR by default.
    >
    > Wayne

    With Ubuntu and Kubuntu, you need to select the "Advanced" button during
    install and tell it where to put GRUB (in GRUB notation).

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net

  18. Re: Warp + Linux

    In , on 12/23/2007
    at 10:53 AM, "Mark Dodel" said:

    >I was always told to put it in root.

    That's fine if you only have a single / partition. If you start playing
    with multiple distributions, or multiple releases of the same
    distribution, then /boot is a more reasonable place to put it.

    >it installed it to the MBR.

    That's not my dog.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  19. Re: Warp + Linux

    In , on 12/25/2007
    at 06:54 PM, "Chuck McKinnis" said:

    >With Ubuntu and Kubuntu, you need to select the "Advanced" button during
    >install and tell it where to put GRUB (in GRUB notation).

    I undertand how to install various distribution of Linux, but I don't know
    enough to use anything *but* the "advanced" options ;-)

    From my perspective, an option that does things in an undocumented[1] way
    is the advanced option and an option that simply does what you tell it to
    is the basic option.

    [1] Installer knows best.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  20. Re: Warp + Linux

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 14:41:54 +0000, Rich Wonneberger wrote:

    > You think they are qualified to load paper? At work I see people that
    > put letter paper in a tray set for 11*17 inch. Then they say the printer
    > is broken when it can't print the large sheets with small paper.
    > I was told be a general manager that either get his printer to work
    > correctly when he prints to A4 size in a printer that only holds letter
    > size, or I get fired.
    > I wrote my name on a piece of paper and handed it to him telling him he
    > could spell it correctly on the complaint he was going to put in. He sat
    > back a few seconds and then let me explain why it wasn't working.
    >
    > Rich W.
    >

    > Wayne wrote:
    >> DVD! I usually tell them to stay with windows as they are not ready for
    >> Linux, or better yet sell the computer and buy a typewriter
    >>
    >> Wayne

    This week has been enough to make me cry. There are the noobs who come in
    and say they can't find any *.exe files or setup program on the DVD to
    install Fedora. Then there's one guy (it's happened a few times) who's
    decided to update his F8 system from the 'development' repositories and
    wonders why it doesn't work anymore. The development repos contain the
    beta of the next version due at the end of April! I've restrained
    myself from telling them to take the machine back to the store for a
    refund or exchange it for a Playstation! As a Community Manager in the
    Fedora Forum I should try to be set standards

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/