The Snap, the Rage and the Monitor - OS2

This is a discussion on The Snap, the Rage and the Monitor - OS2 ; I share a HP f2105 LCD monitor between two Warp boxes each with Snap 2.1.6 bld 411 but with different display adaptor chips. Whilst the el cheapo Trident chip gives no trouble, the (on board) ATI Rage XL box fails ...

  1. The Snap, the Rage and the Monitor

    I share a HP f2105 LCD monitor between two Warp boxes each with Snap 2.1.6 bld
    411 but with different display adaptor chips. Whilst the el cheapo Trident chip
    gives no trouble, the (on board) ATI Rage XL box fails to copy the details from
    the HP .inf file to the Snap monitor table, reports the Rage as non vga, and
    refuses to allow my DOS full screen app to utilise vga mode 107 (1280 x 1024).

    The monitor displays the message "Input signal out of range" when I ask the DOS
    app to utilise mode 107, but it works with 1024 x 768.

    Is this as good as it gets?

  2. Re: The Snap, the Rage and the Monitor

    johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > I share a HP f2105 LCD monitor between two Warp boxes each with Snap 2.1.6 bld
    > 411 but with different display adaptor chips. Whilst the el cheapo Trident chip
    > gives no trouble, the (on board) ATI Rage XL box fails to copy the details from
    > the HP .inf file to the Snap monitor table, reports the Rage as non vga, and
    > refuses to allow my DOS full screen app to utilise vga mode 107 (1280 x 1024).
    >
    > The monitor displays the message "Input signal out of range" when I ask the DOS
    > app to utilise mode 107, but it works with 1024 x 768.
    >
    > Is this as good as it gets?

    I don't think there's too much control that OS/2 can have over the DOS
    session. Which DOS app is it? I think you're at the mercy of VSVGA.SYS
    and your BIOS. There was also a DOS version of Scitech Display
    Doctor/Universal VESA BIOS extender (UniVBE) that could probably do some
    DDE identification for the LCD and pick the right mode/refresh. Dunno
    where you might find it nowadays though. Can you also try playing with
    the refresh rate that the DOS app uses? Maybe if you hit it lucky it
    will kick in.

  3. Re: The Snap, the Rage and the Monitor

    On 12/21/07 08:04 pm, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:

    > The monitor displays the message "Input signal out of range" when I ask the DOS
    > app to utilise mode 107, but it works with 1024 x 768.

    That usually means the refresh rate is too high for the monitor. Use
    to set the default refresh rate for the resolution(s) of
    interest.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  4. Re: The Snap, the Rage and the Monitor

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 12/21/07 08:04 pm, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >
    >>The monitor displays the message "Input signal out of range" when I ask the DOS
    >>app to utilise mode 107, but it works with 1024 x 768.

    > That usually means the refresh rate is too high for the monitor. Use
    > to set the default refresh rate for the resolution(s) of
    > interest.

    That doesn't work for DOS sessions.