clipboard sharing between pc's - OS2

This is a discussion on clipboard sharing between pc's - OS2 ; Hi guys, I wrote a little daemon that shares the (text) clipboard between 2 networked pc's - I'm just curious if anyone could use such a thing? I was always getting sick of manually typing in url's, that friends give ...

  1. clipboard sharing between pc's

    Hi guys,
    I wrote a little daemon that shares the (text) clipboard between 2 networked
    pc's - I'm just curious if anyone could use such a thing?

    I was always getting sick of manually typing in url's, that friends give me,
    for flash8+ videos/webpages/etc on my Windows pc (which is is on the
    same KVM as this one / the trusty dusty old OS2 machine) and I decided a
    little daemon that shares the clipboard over the network would be the best
    solution.

    Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in handy
    I'll make it available.

    regards,
    - dink

  2. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:13:58 -0500 (EST), dinkmeister wrote:

    >Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in handy
    >I'll make it available.

    Would certainly be helpful, how is it supposed to work?

    cheers
    Andreas

    --

    Andreas Ludwig
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    Hi Andreas,
    Heres the link - http://dink.org/files/clips.zip
    I've added a readme w/ installation info.

    regards,
    - dink

    :
    :>Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in handy
    :>I'll make it available.
    :
    :Would certainly be helpful, how is it supposed to work?
    :
    :cheers
    :Andreas
    :
    :--
    :
    :Andreas Ludwig
    :Vancouver, BC
    :using PMINews 2 on eCS 1.2R German!
    :http://andreas-ludwig.info/
    :
    :
    :

  4. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:13:58 UTC "dinkmeister" wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    > I wrote a little daemon that shares the (text) clipboard between 2 networked
    > pc's - I'm just curious if anyone could use such a thing?
    >
    > I was always getting sick of manually typing in url's, that friends give me,
    > for flash8+ videos/webpages/etc on my Windows pc (which is is on the
    > same KVM as this one / the trusty dusty old OS2 machine) and I decided a
    > little daemon that shares the clipboard over the network would be the best
    > solution.
    >
    > Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in handy
    > I'll make it available.

    Do you know ClipView?
    http://www.deezee.org/ClipView.html

    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  5. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:13:58 UTC, "dinkmeister" wrote:

    > I wrote a little daemon that shares the (text) clipboard between 2 networked
    > pc's - I'm just curious if anyone could use such a thing?

    Yes, I've been using ClipView for years. Shares between any combination
    of OS/2 and Windows machines.

  6. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:58:08 GMT, Frank Beythien wrote:

    :On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:13:58 UTC "dinkmeister" wrote:
    :
    :> Hi guys,
    :> I wrote a little daemon that shares the (text) clipboard between 2
    networked
    :> pc's - I'm just curious if anyone could use such a thing?
    :>
    :> I was always getting sick of manually typing in url's, that friends give
    me,
    :> for flash8+ videos/webpages/etc on my Windows pc (which is is on the
    :> same KVM as this one / the trusty dusty old OS2 machine) and I decided a
    :> little daemon that shares the clipboard over the network would be the best
    :> solution.
    :>
    :> Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in handy
    :> I'll make it available.
    :
    o you know ClipView?
    :http://www.deezee.org/ClipView.html
    :
    :--
    :Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

    ClipView looks nice, guess I overlooked it

  7. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    Frank,

    I just got it.
    Seems neat.
    I don't need it often, but it will be handy to have.

    Rich W.

    Frank Beythien wrote:

    > Do you know ClipView?
    > http://www.deezee.org/ClipView.html

  8. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:46:19 -0500 (EST), dinkmeister wrote:

    >Heres the link - http://dink.org/files/clips.zip
    >I've added a readme w/ installation info.

    Hi Dink,

    OK, I configured it here for my eCS workstation and my windows laptop (both
    connected via a wireless router. I use VNC to access my laptop quite
    frequently and it works well. However, the clipboard sharing didn't work. It
    would run but whenever I tried to access the clipboard in eCS, the program
    would hang (irrespective if it's the WPS, FileCommander or SeaMonkey). When I
    killed the clips deamon, everyhing was fine again.

    On the windows side there was no hang when using the clipboard, but the
    content of the OS/2 clipboard didn't show up there.

    Maybe VNC is interfering with your solution - I will try without using VNC
    later.

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --

    Andreas Ludwig
    Vancouver, BC
    using PMINews 2 on eCS 1.2R German!
    http://andreas-ludwig.info/

  9. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:29:38 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:46:19 -0500 (EST), dinkmeister wrote:
    >
    > >Heres the link - http://dink.org/files/clips.zip
    > >I've added a readme w/ installation info.

    > Hi Dink,
    >
    > OK, I configured it here for my eCS workstation and my windows laptop (both
    > connected via a wireless router. I use VNC to access my laptop quite
    > frequently and it works well. However, the clipboard sharing didn't work. It
    > would run but whenever I tried to access the clipboard in eCS, the program
    > would hang (irrespective if it's the WPS, FileCommander or SeaMonkey). When I
    > killed the clips deamon, everyhing was fine again.

    I suspect it is to do with who owns the clipboard locking the other
    out. ClipView does not use the "normal" access, it uses the same,
    undocumented but supported, method as Virtual PC - Thanks to Innotek
    for the code. It was something IBM added, for I believe OpenDoc
    support, which never happened, but the code is still in there.

    See if the ClipView cross machine sharing routines have the same
    problem.

    http://www.deezee.org/ClipView.html

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  10. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    In , on 12/23/2007
    at 10:59 AM, "Dave Saville" said:

    Are you the "Dave Saville" with the chipmonks?

    ....those songs still entertain kids...

    >On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:29:38 UTC, "Andreas Ludwig"
    >wrote:

    >> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:46:19 -0500 (EST), dinkmeister wrote:
    >>
    >> >Heres the link - http://dink.org/files/clips.zip
    >> >I've added a readme w/ installation info.

    >> Hi Dink,
    >>
    >> OK, I configured it here for my eCS workstation and my windows laptop (both
    >> connected via a wireless router. I use VNC to access my laptop quite
    >> frequently and it works well. However, the clipboard sharing didn't work. It
    >> would run but whenever I tried to access the clipboard in eCS, the program
    >> would hang (irrespective if it's the WPS, FileCommander or SeaMonkey). When I
    >> killed the clips deamon, everyhing was fine again.

    >I suspect it is to do with who owns the clipboard locking the other out.
    >ClipView does not use the "normal" access, it uses the same,
    >undocumented but supported, method as Virtual PC - Thanks to Innotek for
    >the code. It was something IBM added, for I believe OpenDoc support,
    >which never happened, but the code is still in there.

    >See if the ClipView cross machine sharing routines have the same
    >problem.

    >http://www.deezee.org/ClipView.html

  11. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    Hi Andreas,
    Just curious - Which VNC Viewer/2 are you using? I'm using the 1.01 "Open
    Watcom" version and can't replicate the problem you're having. On the windows
    side I've got TightVNC[.com] v1.2.9.

    regards,
    - dink

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:29:38 -0800 (PST), Andreas Ludwig wrote:

[...]

  12. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 01:31:40 UTC, jnapi1snm@nospam.com.net wrote:

    > In , on 12/23/2007
    > at 10:59 AM, "Dave Saville" said:
    >

    > Are you the "Dave Saville" with the chipmonks?

    No, my voice is *much* lower :-)

    > ...those songs still entertain kids...

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

  13. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    "Andreas Ludwig" wrote:
    >On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:13:58 -0500 (EST), dinkmeister wrote:
    >
    >> Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in
    >> handy I'll make it available.

    > Would certainly be helpful, how is it supposed to work?

    I'll second that. I'd like to use it between a Parallels virtual machine
    and the main OS.

    - Dushan

  14. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:20:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "dinkmeister"
    wrote:

    > Which VNC Viewer/2 are you using?

    The best one I've found for OS/2 is the Java version of Tightvnc. Nothing to do
    with your clipboard sharer but...

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  15. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    Hi Dushan,
    The file link is available @ http://dink.org/files/clips.zip - give it a
    try and please post your results here, I'm interested to know how it works
    out.

    Also just for the record, the clips.zip archive was updated a few hours
    ago with a few bugfixes & optimizations since the first release. I'd
    recommend everyone that downloaded it yesterday to update to this one.

    best regards and happy holidays (& holidaze),
    - dink

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:15:35 -0700, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:

    :"Andreas Ludwig" wrote:
    :>On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:13:58 -0500 (EST), dinkmeister wrote:
    :>
    :>> Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in
    :>> handy I'll make it available.
    :>
    :> Would certainly be helpful, how is it supposed to work?
    :
    :I'll second that. I'd like to use it between a Parallels virtual machine
    :and the main OS.
    :
    :- Dushan
    :

  16. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    Here in comp.os.os2.apps, "dinkmeister"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >Hi guys,
    >I wrote a little daemon that shares the (text) clipboard between 2 networked
    >pc's - I'm just curious if anyone could use such a thing?

    Useful idea.

    I mount a common fileserver partition everywhere (under OS/2 & Windows
    it's my Z: drive) and then place a desktop shortcut to the CLIPBOARD.TXT
    file on that server, but that tends to only work well with text stuff.

    >Anyways, so please let me know - if anyone thinks this would come in handy
    >I'll make it available.

    For which platforms?

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  17. Re: clipboard sharing between pc's

    Hey there..
    I fixed a few bugs in the OS/2 version and think the problem with the
    clipboard locking up on certain installations is nailed. The latest version
    is available here.. http://dink.org/files/clips.zip

    regards,
    - dink

[...]

+ Reply to Thread