8 inch floppies on OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on 8 inch floppies on OS/2? - OS2 ; At one time I think it was Will Honea who told me that you could mount the old 8" floppy drives on OS/2. I've got a couple of these and a stack of 8" floppies in both MS-DOS and some ...

  1. 8 inch floppies on OS/2?

    At one time I think it was Will Honea who told me that you could mount the old
    8" floppy drives on OS/2. I've got a couple of these and a stack of 8"
    floppies in both MS-DOS and some in CP/M I'd like to look at and transfer some
    of the data files only to modern day media. I don't need program operations use
    for the CP/M stuff, just the data files in this case.

    Looking at the readme data on the IBM1FLPY.ADD device driver I see that you can
    definitely tell it a specific drive capacity for a given drive that is
    attached. But how do you tell the BIOS and so on what to do here?

    I've also got a stack of 5-1/4" Heath/Zenith floppies in the double side
    version, together with the actual drives for them. Heath/Zenith used an
    'extended' version of things which got a bit more than the 690K of data on
    these diskettes as well. Anyone here know the parameters which might be
    involved here, if that can be done?

    Thanks!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: 8 inch floppies on OS/2?

    Sir:

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > At one time I think it was Will Honea who told me that you could mount
    > the old 8" floppy drives on OS/2. I've got a couple of these and a
    > stack of 8" floppies in both MS-DOS and some in CP/M I'd like to look at
    > and transfer some of the data files only to modern day media. I don't
    > need program operations use for the CP/M stuff, just the data files in
    > this case.
    >
    > Looking at the readme data on the IBM1FLPY.ADD device driver I see that
    > you can definitely tell it a specific drive capacity for a given drive
    > that is attached. But how do you tell the BIOS and so on what to do here?
    >
    > I've also got a stack of 5-1/4" Heath/Zenith floppies in the double side
    > version, together with the actual drives for them. Heath/Zenith used an
    > 'extended' version of things which got a bit more than the 690K of data
    > on these diskettes as well. Anyone here know the parameters which might
    > be involved here, if that can be done?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Don't think the standard IBM 8" floppy drive will read most 8" formats
    (unless they made the disks). How are you going to attach the floppies
    to the machine? Those floppies drives used RS488 or the like for
    connectors? I know that back in 1982-4 time period there existed
    adapters for the ISA bus. You got one?

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: 8 inch floppies on OS/2?

    Thanks Bill ..

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    OK .. studying your help pointers.

    > Don't think the standard IBM 8" floppy drive will read most 8" formats
    > (unless they made the disks). How are you going to attach the floppies
    > to the machine? Those floppies drives used RS488 or the like for
    > connectors? I know that back in 1982-4 time period there existed
    > adapters for the ISA bus. You got one?

    I've got the drive controller card for the Z110 for the external case for two
    drives I have. That's an S100 buss card. Don't think I've ever seen an
    adapter for the ISA buss for this! What does it look like? A little plastic
    converter from one cable form to the other? And this will merge the data
    controller cable from these drives to the ISA controller cable?

    I'll be passing by the site where these are in 'storage' today or over the
    weekend Bill. I'll look more closely at the case with the two drives, the
    cable assembly from it to the Z110 case, the controller in that case. It may
    be that what you are talking about is involved already in the cables that are
    there. Dunno.

    Thanks!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!