Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive - OS2

This is a discussion on Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive - OS2 ; Hi, I want to install OS/2 Warp 4.56 on a laptop Toshiba Tecra S5 or Panasonic CF-52. Both of these computers have the following controllers: Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Stora Controller I built an installation ...

  1. Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Hi,

    I want to install OS/2 Warp 4.56 on a laptop Toshiba Tecra S5 or
    Panasonic CF-52.
    Both of these computers have the following controllers:
    Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI
    Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Stora Controller

    I built an installation diskette (Number 1) with the following
    drivers:
    Danis506 v1.8.1 (in replacement of IBM1S506)
    Danis144 (in replacement of OS2DASD)

    The config.sys is:
    set copyfromfloppy=1
    set saveconnect=1
    buffers=32
    pauseonerror=yes
    iopl=yes
    memman=swap,delayswap
    protshell=sysinst1.exe
    set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    diskcache=D2,LW
    protectonly=yes
    libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
    ifs=jfs.ifs
    ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64
    pauseonerror=no
    codepage=850
    country=033,country.sys
    devinfo=kbd,fr189,keyboard.dcp
    devinfo=scr,ega,vtbl850.dcp
    device=\dos.sys
    device=\mouse.sys
    set path=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    set dpath=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    set keys=on
    basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    basedev=danis506.add /V /FORCEGBM /!BM /!BIOS
    rem basedev=ibm1s506.add /V
    rem basedev=ibm2flpy.add
    rem basedev=ibm2scsi.add
    rem basedev=ipsraid.add
    basedev=os2dasd.dmd /BOOTABLE
    rem basedev=os2lvm.dmd
    device=\testcfg.sys
    rem basedev=aic7770.add
    rem basedev=aic7870.add
    rem basedev=aic78u2.add
    rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
    rem basedev=aicu160.add
    basedev=dpt20xx.add
    rem basedev=ql10os2.add
    rem basedev=ibmidecd.flt
    basedev=ibmatapi.flt
    rem basedev=sym8xx.add
    rem basedev=sym_hi.add
    EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE
    basedev=xdfloppy.flt
    set os2_shell=cdinst.exe
    set saveconnect=1
    set cdrominst=1
    ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
    device=\os2cdrom.dmd
    device=\refpart.sys
    set os2_shell=cdboot.exe
    set oemprogram=\ibminst\npconfig.exe
    set exitwhendone=1

    But I've never been able to solve the error that appears when I insert
    the diskette 2:

    Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.8.1
    Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK
    Intel PIIX PATA Host (8086:2850 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.1#0
    Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI PI04
    Model: TEAC DV-W28ECT 7.5A
    Controller 1: Port:9F28 IRQ:0B Status:OK
    Intel ICH8 SATA Host (8086:2829 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2#0
    Unit: 0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA NL:126 1.5Gbit/s BPB
    Model: FUJITSU MHW2120BH

    OS/2 can't operate your hard drive or diskette drive.

    I 've spent so many days on this problem !!!! Maybe, it is an error
    due to the floppy disk ??

    Do you have any idea ??

    herve

  2. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskette drive

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:30:20 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, arthis
    wrote:

    > I built an installation diskette (Number 1) with the following
    > drivers:
    > Danis506 v1.8.1 (in replacement of IBM1S506)
    > Danis144 (in replacement of OS2DASD)

    You almost certainly do not want the 2nd of those - it's dated 2001 and probably
    will not help with anything. I'd go back to the standard os2dasd.dmd. You also
    seem to be missing any sort of FLT driver for yur CD drive so even if you get
    past the current problem, it won't be able to find the install CD!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Hi herve

    arthis wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to install OS/2 Warp 4.56 on a laptop Toshiba Tecra S5 or
    > Panasonic CF-52.
    > Both of these computers have the following controllers:
    > Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI
    > Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Stora Controller
    >
    > I built an installation diskette (Number 1) with the following
    > drivers:
    > Danis506 v1.8.1 (in replacement of IBM1S506)

    OK

    > Danis144 (in replacement of OS2DASD)

    Why?

    > The config.sys is:
    > set copyfromfloppy=1
    > set saveconnect=1
    > buffers=32
    > pauseonerror=yes
    > iopl=yes
    > memman=swap,delayswap
    > protshell=sysinst1.exe
    > set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    > diskcache=D2,LW
    > protectonly=yes
    > libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
    > ifs=jfs.ifs
    > ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64
    > pauseonerror=no
    > codepage=850
    > country=033,country.sys
    > devinfo=kbd,fr189,keyboard.dcp
    > devinfo=scr,ega,vtbl850.dcp
    > device=\dos.sys
    > device=\mouse.sys
    > set path=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    > set dpath=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    > set keys=on
    > basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    > basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    > basedev=danis506.add /V /FORCEGBM /!BM /!BIOS
    > rem basedev=ibm1s506.add /V
    > rem basedev=ibm2flpy.add
    > rem basedev=ibm2scsi.add
    > rem basedev=ipsraid.add
    > basedev=os2dasd.dmd /BOOTABLE
    > rem basedev=os2lvm.dmd
    > device=\testcfg.sys
    > rem basedev=aic7770.add
    > rem basedev=aic7870.add
    > rem basedev=aic78u2.add
    > rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
    > rem basedev=aicu160.add
    > basedev=dpt20xx.add
    > rem basedev=ql10os2.add
    > rem basedev=ibmidecd.flt
    > basedev=ibmatapi.flt
    > rem basedev=sym8xx.add
    > rem basedev=sym_hi.add
    > EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE
    > basedev=xdfloppy.flt
    > set os2_shell=cdinst.exe
    > set saveconnect=1
    > set cdrominst=1
    > ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
    > device=\os2cdrom.dmd
    > device=\refpart.sys
    > set os2_shell=cdboot.exe
    > set oemprogram=\ibminst\npconfig.exe
    > set exitwhendone=1
    >

    > But I've never been able to solve the error that appears when I insert
    > the diskette 2:
    >
    > Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.8.1
    > Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK
    > Intel PIIX PATA Host (8086:2850 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.1#0
    > Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI PI04
    > Model: TEAC DV-W28ECT 7.5A
    > Controller 1: Port:9F28 IRQ:0B Status:OK
    > Intel ICH8 SATA Host (8086:2829 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2#0
    > Unit: 0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA NL:126 1.5Gbit/s BPB
    > Model: FUJITSU MHW2120BH
    >
    > OS/2 can't operate your hard drive or diskette drive.
    >

    > I 've spent so many days on this problem !!!! Maybe, it is an error
    > due to the floppy disk ??
    >
    > Do you have any idea ??
    >
    > herve

    I'd revert to os2dasd.dmd and see if that helps.

    You may want to sack ibmatapi.flt in favour of the daniatapi.flt.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskette drive

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:53:57 GMT, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > You may want to sack ibmatapi.flt in favour of the daniatapi.flt.

    This is required with DANIS506 version 1.8.1 - the old .FLTs will not work.

  5. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Yes ..

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:53:57 GMT, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You may want to sack ibmatapi.flt in favour of the daniatapi.flt.

    > This is required with DANIS506 version 1.8.1 - the old .FLTs will not work.

    And though I'm not finished with the research yet, I think I've found that use
    of Dani's drivers on the floppy diskette utility boot operation doesn't work
    unless the ibmatapi.flt as such with that specific name is actually used. I
    hit an issue with this that a while back popped me into this same cannot
    operate your hard drive scenario.

    What I wanted to do was to upgrade to Dani's 1.8.1 tools. But when I got to
    the IBM floppy diskette set for a Utility Boot operation, I could not ever get
    this to work unless I back leveled Dani's drivers to the last 1.7.1 code! As
    long as I'm using the DaniS506.ADD driver re-named to the IBM1S506.ADD driver,
    which can still cooperate with the IBMATAPI.FLT by name, the floppy diskette
    sets still work.

    But at least in the cases in which I was attempting to upgrade her driver set
    to the 1.8.1, although they work fine on the actual hard drive, renamed as she
    indicates now must be done, this will not work for me on the floppies!

    I'm not at all sure this is a correct position yet. It's on my list of things
    to do for research in the future. But I've not had time to do the work yet.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  6. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskette drive

    In <66b4e0af-0f07-4085-a168-93ade823f943@c4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, on
    12/20/2007
    at 06:30 AM, arthis said:

> [...]

    >Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Stora Controller

    >I built an installation diskette (Number 1) with the following drivers:
    >Danis506 v1.8.1 (in replacement of IBM1S506)
    >Danis144 (in replacement of OS2DASD)

    >The config.sys is:
    >set copyfromfloppy=1
    >set saveconnect=1
    >buffers=32
    >pauseonerror=yes
    >iopl=yes
    >memman=swap,delayswap
    >protshell=sysinst1.exe
    >set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    >diskcache=D2,LW
    >protectonly=yes
    >libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
    >ifs=jfs.ifs
    >ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64
    >pauseonerror=no
    >codepage=850
    >country=033,country.sys
    >devinfo=kbd,fr189,keyboard.dcp
    >devinfo=scr,ega,vtbl850.dcp
    >device=\dos.sys
    >device=\mouse.sys
    >set path=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    >set dpath=\;\os2;\os2\system;\os2\install
    >set keys=on
    >basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    >basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    >basedev=danis506.add /V /FORCEGBM /!BM /!BIOS
    >rem basedev=ibm1s506.add /V
    >rem basedev=ibm2flpy.add
    >rem basedev=ibm2scsi.add
    >rem basedev=ipsraid.add
    >basedev=os2dasd.dmd /BOOTABLE
    >rem basedev=os2lvm.dmd
    >device=\testcfg.sys
    >rem basedev=aic7770.add
    >rem basedev=aic7870.add
    >rem basedev=aic78u2.add
    >rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
    >rem basedev=aicu160.add
    >basedev=dpt20xx.add
    >rem basedev=ql10os2.add
    >rem basedev=ibmidecd.flt
    >basedev=ibmatapi.flt
    >rem basedev=sym8xx.add
    >rem basedev=sym_hi.add
    >EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE
    >basedev=xdfloppy.flt
    >set os2_shell=cdinst.exe
    >set saveconnect=1
    >set cdrominst=1
    >ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
    >device=\os2cdrom.dmd
    >device=\refpart.sys
    >set os2_shell=cdboot.exe
    >set oemprogram=\ibminst\npconfig.exe
    >set exitwhendone=1

    >But I've never been able to solve the error that appears when I insert
    >the diskette 2:

    >Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.8.1
    >Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK
    >Intel PIIX PATA Host (8086:2850 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.1#0
    > Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI PI04
    > Model: TEAC DV-W28ECT 7.5A
    > Controller 1: Port:9F28 IRQ:0B Status:OK
    > Intel ICH8 SATA Host (8086:2829 rev:03) on PCI 0:31.2#0
    > Unit: 0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA NL:126 1.5Gbit/s BPB
    > Model: FUJITSU MHW2120BH

    >OS/2 can't operate your hard drive or diskette drive.

    >I 've spent so many days on this problem !!!! Maybe, it is an error due

    I have the same problem with a Thinkpad T61.

    To my surprise, people are finding the same thing with WinXP. The cure
    for that seems to be:

    Go into Config >Serial ATA and change this "SATA Controller Mode Option"
    from "AHCI" to "Compatibility"

    I tried that with OS/2 and it did not help, so there is more to the
    problem, but I did get further by changing to the "Compatibility" mode.

    >herve

  7. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Thanks a lot for your answers.

    Here is my tests:

    - use the daniatapi.flt instead of ibmatapi.flt

    -> always the same error.

    If I change the BIOS settings (SATA Controller Mode = Compatibility (instead of AHCI)), the installation fails (before inserting the diskette 2) with the following errors:
    " Exception in module :OS2DASD Trap 000E "

    By renaming Danis506.ADD to IBM1S506.ADD, and DANIATAPI.FLT to IBMATAPI.FLT (tested in both SATA Compatibility Mode and SATA AHCi Mode) -> no improvment

    The Dani's driver (verbose mode) seems to detect the hard drive FUJITSU and the controller ICH8 SATA.

    It may be the diskette drive ?? I boot on a USB floppy drive.

    Maybe, by using the Toshiba HDD drive on another computer ??

    Herve

  8. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskette drive

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:30:20 UTC, arthis wrote:

    > The config.sys is:
    > set copyfromfloppy=1
    > set saveconnect=1
    > buffers=32
    > pauseonerror=yes
    > iopl=yes
    > memman=swap,delayswap
    > protshell=sysinst1.exe
    > set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    > diskcache=D2,LW
    > protectonly=yes
    > libpath=.;\;\os2\dll;\os2\install;
    > ifs=jfs.ifs
    > ifs=hpfs.ifs /c:64

    The above looks fine.

    > pauseonerror=no

    This is a slightly strange choice for an installation diskette, but
    it's up to you...

    > basedev=danis506.add /V /FORCEGBM /!BM /!BIOS

    You might want to play around with these options some more...
    "wrong" options for your hardware can quite possibly cause the
    problem you are seeing.

    > basedev=os2dasd.dmd /BOOTABLE

    What is /BOOTABLE?

    > rem basedev=os2lvm.dmd

    What on earth have you done here?!?

    > rem basedev=aic7770.add
    > rem basedev=aic7870.add
    > rem basedev=aic78u2.add
    > rem basedev=ibmint13.i13
    > rem basedev=aicu160.add
    > basedev=dpt20xx.add
    > rem basedev=ql10os2.add
    > rem basedev=ibmidecd.flt
    > basedev=ibmatapi.flt
    > rem basedev=sym8xx.add
    > rem basedev=sym_hi.add

    Why have you remmed out most (but not all) of the optional SCSI
    drivers? I know you probably don't need them, but it shouldn't
    hurt to leave them in... and trying to remove them without also
    updating the snooper configuration file to match your changes
    might (I don't remember exactly) cause some difficulty.

    > basedev=xdfloppy.flt

    You seem to have done an awful lot of remming of drivers you've
    apparently decided you don't need, and yet you've left other
    equally useless ones like this untouched. Frankly, I'd suggest
    you don't mess around with your CONFIG.SYS to this extent until
    you actually have everything working.

    It may not be causing problems, but it's safer to leave things
    like this at the default until you've actually found out where
    your problems lie.

    > OS/2 can't operate your hard drive or diskette drive.
    >
    > I 've spent so many days on this problem !!!! Maybe, it is an error
    > due to the floppy disk ??
    >
    > Do you have any idea ??

    You seem to have done some rather strange things. You haven't
    said why. Did you try the default diskettes, then try changing
    things one by one?

    I'm particularly worried by your removal of OS2LVM.DMD - that
    will certainly cause problems unless you also replace OS2DASD.DMD
    (which you say you did), but that is a highly unorthodox and (IMO)
    inadvisable thing to do unless you really, REALLY know what you're
    doing.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  9. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    I decided to remove all the uncessary drivers just to test but the problem still persists with such a config.sys:

    I also tested the latest warp installation diskettes found on warpdoctor web site.

[...]
    basedev=ibm1s506.add /V ->> danis driver renamed
    basedev=ibm2flpy.add
    basedev=ibm2scsi.add
    basedev=ipsraid.add
    basedev=os2dasd.dmd
    basedev=os2lvm.dmd
    device=\testcfg.sys
    basedev=ipsraid.add
    basedev=aic7770.add
    basedev=aic7870.add
    basedev=aic78u2.add
    basedev=aicu160.add
    basedev=dpt20xx.add
    basedev=ql10os2.add
    rem basedev=ibmidecd.flt
    basedev=IBMATAPI.FLT --> DaniATAPI.FLT renamed
    basedev=sym8xx.add
    basedev=sym_hi.add
    EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE
    basedev=xdfloppy.flt
    set os2_shell=cdinst.exe
    set saveconnect=1
    set cdrominst=1
    ifs=cdfs.ifs /q
    device=\os2cdrom.dmd
    device=\refpart.sys
    set os2_shell=cdboot.exe
    set oemprogram=\ibminst\npconfig.exe
    set exitwhendone=1

  10. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskette drive

    Hi!, I had the same problem, what I did was add two lines to the config.sys (disk1):

    set copyfromfloppy=1 <-- this one
    basedev=danis506.add <-- and this one. Danis506 release 175

    I left this one unchanged
    basedev=ibm1s506.add <--no changes here.

    Danis506 r175
    OS/2 Site - Drivers - ide
    http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=danidown

    I did not use release 181 because it needs danis atapi (and I keep having the problem you mention). Now everything is working fine.

    You must remember to add basedev=danis506.add to the config.sys file on your C drive after install, and add danis506.add file to c:\os\boot\

    My system is a Lenovo 3000 J200 9690
    Dual core
    HD SATA
    DVD SATA
    mouse/kbd USB
    512 Ram.

    OS/2 warp server for eB

  11. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Quote Originally Posted by herve View Post
[...]

    Quote Originally Posted by arthis View Post
[...]

    I had the same problem, this is what I did and Worked:

    Added two lines to config.sys in disk1

    set copyfromfloppy=1
    basedev=danis506.add ->> release 175, no parameters

    I left basedev=ibm1s506.add unchanged ->> no parameters also

    I did copy Danis506.add to disk1 too.

    I used release 175
    OS/2 Site - Drivers - ide
    http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=danidown
    because release 181 needed danis atapi and I was having problems (maybe because I am still not sure how to use it). At that time (two days ago)I did not knew where to get danis506 release above 175 (except 181).

    My sistem is a Lenovo 3000 J200 9690
    HD SATA
    Pentium 1.6Ghz Dual Core
    512 RAM
    DVD SATA
    mouse/kbd USB

    The only thing that does not work is the on-board NIC PCI Express x1 hehe

    )

  12. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Alex Taylor schrieb:

    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:30:20 UTC, arthis wrote:
    >
    > > basedev=os2dasd.dmd /BOOTABLE

    > What is /BOOTABLE?

    From the readme of the idedasd package:

    3.10 Very Large (512 Gb limit) Hard Drive Considerations

    The previous version of OS2DASD.DMD had a 512 Gb geometry limitation
    which
    allowed only part (remainder of the total drive capacity divided by
    the 512
    Gb) of the hard drive to be accessible for the system.

    The current version of OS2DASD.DMD removes this limit and allows
    total
    capacity of the hard drive up to 2 Tb. This support has the
    following

    1. If the drive is used as a boot drive, only first 512 Gb of the
    drive
    space will be accessable to the system.

    2. If drive is used only as a data storage drive the total capacity
    (up to
    2 Tb) of drive will be accessable to the system.

    The two new parameters are available to select these options:

    o /BOOTABLE --- applied to the unpartitioned large drive (during the
    bootup
    prior to the first partitioning of the drive) and makes drive
    bootable,
    but limiting its available capacity to 512 Gb.

    o /FULLSIZE --- applied to the unpartitioned large drive (during the
    bootup
    prior to the first partitioning of the drive) and allow use of the
    total
    capacity of the drive (up to 2 Tb), but prevents the drive from
    being
    made bootable.

    The parameters have the following usage syntax:

    BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD [/D:n] [/BOOTABLE | /FULLSIZE]

    where /D:n denotes the number of the drive (/D:0 is drive 0,
    etc.).
    Parameter /BOOTABLE or /FULLSIZE following /D:n is applied to drive
    n. If
    for some drive value n (n>0) the /D:n parameter is omitted the
    following
    parameter (/BOOTABLE or /FULLSIZE) is applied to the first drive
    (default
    /D:0). If parameter /BOOTABLE or /FULLSIZE for some drive is
    omitted,
    /FULLSIZE is applied for this drive by default.

    If drive is larger than 512 Gb, then LVMUPDT package must be
    installed in
    addition to the IDEDASD package to access the full drive capacity
    (/FULLSIZE
    option). If drive is not larger than 512 Gb that IDEDASD package is
    enough
    to access the full drive capacity, but LVMUPDT package may be
    installed in
    addition.

    Hendrik

  13. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Thanks Bolivar for your answer.

    Danis506.add v1.7.5 supports the chipset ICH7
    whereas the v1.8.1 supports ICH8M, that's exactly what I have.
    I did some tests without any success.

    Herve

  14. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    Thanks Bolivar for your answer.

    Danis506.add v1.7.5 supports the chipset ICH7
    whereas the v1.8.1 supports ICH8M, that's exactly what I have.
    I did some tests without any success.

    I also returned to the standard os2dasd file.

    Herve

  15. Re: Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskettedrive

    I've used a new set of installation diskette for OS/2.
    I've just modify the diskette 1 by using Dani's driver version 1.7.5 and adding a new line "set copyfromfloppy=1".

    It doesn't work because Dani's driver v1.7.5 only supports ICH7 chipset.. Mine is ICH8M.

+ Reply to Thread