How to detect a multi head screen setup in a PM program? - OS2

This is a discussion on How to detect a multi head screen setup in a PM program? - OS2 ; I have for several months a dual head setup with SNAP (2 CRTs). This works fine but there is one thing that still annoys me. The option for centering the PM windows on a specific head does not seem to ...

  1. How to detect a multi head screen setup in a PM program?

    I have for several months a dual head setup with SNAP (2 CRTs).
    This works fine but there is one thing that still annoys me.

    The option for centering the PM windows on a specific head does
    not seem to have any effect (Screen Properties). PM Windows using
    the default PM provided placement (don't store their position)
    like the IBM Help Viewer are always shown across both heads and
    are also centered within both heads.

    Is there some hidden setting for SNAP that changes this behavior
    for the whole system or does every application has to deal with
    this by itself?

    How can a PM application find out whether the system uses a
    multi head configuration? The PM ref for WinQuerySysValue does
    not bring up something useful.

  2. Re: How to detect a multi head screen setup in a PM program?

    > How can a PM application find out whether the system uses a
    > multi head configuration? The PM ref for WinQuerySysValue does
    > not bring up something useful.

    Cannot you use the x:y-ratio of the screen size to find out? I think
    the OS (/driver) should deal with this, but maybe there's more than 1
    way to determine the center, with SNAP not working for all methods
    possible? I wouldn't adjust apps. Besides that, it's not clear what
    one wants: 1 screen of 1600x600, or sometimes 2 screens of 800x600.
    What's this "sometimes" then, to be defined exactly?

    ---

  3. Re: How to detect a multi head screen setup in a PM program?

    > Cannot you use the x:y-ratio of the screen size to find out? I think
    > the OS (/driver) should deal with this, but maybe there's more than 1
    > way to determine the center, with SNAP not working for all methods
    > possible? I wouldn't adjust apps. Besides that, it's not clear what
    > one wants: 1 screen of 1600x600, or sometimes 2 screens of 800x600.
    > What's this "sometimes" then, to be defined exactly?

    Yes, and it seems SNAP support this (according to the settings
    notebook). But it does not seem to work, at least for me.

    At the moment it is annoying that for instance switching PMView
    to fullscreen results in 2 head fullscreen.

+ Reply to Thread