Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell" - OS2

This is a discussion on Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell" - OS2 ; When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 - Moving to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    the video cartridge.

    I do not have a video tapedeck, and I never did: the tape has been
    played exactly once, when I let a friend view it (he later went with
    Windows anyay).

    I am offering this fine example of late 20th Century cinematic art
    FREE, GRATIS, for the cost of packing and shipping to your location.
    Although I have no way to verify its condition, I have no reason to
    think it is in anything its essentially virgin state. You would
    receive it, of course, as is. (Insert here the usual boilerplate
    disclaimers about such things as merchantability.)

    If you would like to be the owner of this relative antique, tell me so
    by sending me an email through the mailform on my website, which is
    at: .

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  2. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving tothe OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Dec 2, 9:37 am, "Stan Goodman" wrote:
    > When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    > a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    > take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    > Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    > mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    > OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    > the video cartridge.
    >
    > I do not have a video tapedeck, and I never did: the tape has been
    > played exactly once, when I let a friend view it (he later went with
    > Windows anyay).
    >
    > I am offering this fine example of late 20th Century cinematic art
    > FREE, GRATIS, for the cost of packing and shipping to your location.
    > Although I have no way to verify its condition, I have no reason to
    > think it is in anything its essentially virgin state. You would
    > receive it, of course, as is. (Insert here the usual boilerplate
    > disclaimers about such things as merchantability.)
    >
    > If you would like to be the owner of this relative antique, tell me so
    > by sending me an email through the mailform on my website, which is
    > at: .
    >
    > --
    > Stan Goodman
    > Qiryat Tiv'on
    > Israel

    You could convert it over to a digital format (AVI, MPG, WMV, MP4,
    DiVX, MKV, DV, DVD, PSP or Flash) and offer it for free download to
    those with an interest, although I'm not sure you can do the capture
    and conversion easily with OS/2. I perform VHS conversions (VHS to
    digital format) often using EyeTV. EyeTV allows me to simply play the
    video and make an exact duplicate then offers the ability to edit the
    captured video to remove any imperfections or unwanted frames. Once
    captured it can then be exported to any digital format.

    It would be cool to see it up on YouTube.

    Is that beyond your scope, Stan? If you could get it into digital
    format then you'd save the shipping fees and be able to distribute it
    throughout the OS/2 community easily. Are there any other volunteers?

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com

  3. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    "Stan Goodman" spake unto us, saying:

    >When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    >a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    >take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    >Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    >mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    >OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    >the video cartridge.

    Heh. I just found my copy of that same tape a month or so ago while I
    was unpacking some boxes. I've not viewed it yet, but just seeing it
    brought back some very good (and a few bad) memories. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  4. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:37:21 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > If you would like to be the owner of this relative antique ...

    I like this concept of "relative antique". In California, I think
    anything more than 10 years old might qualify, though I suspect that in
    your part of the world, the number would be two orders of magnitude
    larger. Thanks for the chuckle.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "NOSPAM@" to "systematics@" in my e-mail address)

  5. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 01:45:12 UTC, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner)
    opined:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    > "Stan Goodman" spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    > >a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    > >take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    > >Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    > >mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    > >OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    > >the video cartridge.

    > Heh. I just found my copy of that same tape a month or so ago while I
    > was unpacking some boxes. I've not viewed it yet, but just seeing it
    > brought back some very good (and a few bad) memories. :-)

    As I said, I've viewed the tape only once, and that many moons ago.
    But according to my recollection of it, seeing it again will cause you
    to sigh in regret for What Might Have Been, to make a voodoo doll of
    the IBM honcho that made the decision to ditch OS/2, and to stick pins
    in it daily.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  6. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:06:12 UTC, "Fred Blau"
    opined:
    > On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:37:21 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > If you would like to be the owner of this relative antique ...

    > I like this concept of "relative antique". In California, I think
    > anything more than 10 years old might qualify, though I suspect that in
    > your part of the world, the number would be two orders of magnitude
    > larger. Thanks for the chuckle.

    As Einstein has told us, everything is relative: I have an aunt of age
    103 (still drives her car ... but not fast). She is therefore my
    relative antique.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  7. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:42:17 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:06:12 UTC, "Fred Blau"
    > opined:
    > > On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:37:21 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > > If you would like to be the owner of this relative antique ...

    > > I like this concept of "relative antique". In California, I think
    > > anything more than 10 years old might qualify, though I suspect that in
    > > your part of the world, the number would be two orders of magnitude
    > > larger. Thanks for the chuckle.

    > As Einstein has told us, everything is relative: I have an aunt of age
    > 103 (still drives her car ... but not fast). She is therefore my
    > relative antique.

    Double chuckle!

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "NOSPAM@" to "systematics@" in my e-mail address)

  8. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    What we need is someone to make a movie video out of this.

    Rich W.

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    > a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    > take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    > Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    > mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    > OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    > the video cartridge.

  9. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving tothe OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Dec 3, 4:21 pm, Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    > What we need is someone to make a movie video out of this.
    >
    > Rich W.
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    > > a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    > > take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    > > Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    > > mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    > > OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    > > the video cartridge.

    That was my suggestion but alas, I don't think anyone using OS/2 has
    the capability to do so. How sad.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com

  10. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Hi Rich

    Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    > What we need is someone to make a movie video out of this.
    >
    > Rich W.

    I'm not that up on making a "movie video" myself...

    I do have a bit of hardware that I suspect would be potentially useful:
    a dvd/vcr combo recorder. It is very capable of turning vhs tapes into
    dvd recordings.

    Having created a "dvd version" I guess I then need some software to
    convert dvd into mpg/avi/wmv or similar formats?

    Regards

    Pete

    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    >> When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    >> a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    >> take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    >> Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    >> mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    >> OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    >> the video cartridge.

  11. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    (c) The OS/2 Guy (c) wrote:
    > On Dec 3, 4:21 pm, Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    >> What we need is someone to make a movie video out of this.
    >>
    >> Rich W.
    >>
    >> Stan Goodman wrote:
    >>> When OS/2 v2.0 was first released. IBM felt it was necessary to give
    >>> a gift package to the lucky purchasers in order to induce people to
    >>> take the leap. This package contained a video cartridge ("OS/2 2.0 -
    >>> Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"), a Parker ballpoint pen, and a
    >>> mousepad (the latter two items decorated with a tasteful multicolored
    >>> OS/2 logo"). The pen and the mousepad are long gone, but I still have
    >>> the video cartridge.

    > That was my suggestion but alas, I don't think anyone using OS/2 has
    > the capability to do so. How sad.

    All that would be needed would be simple video capture and
    digitilization. EmperoarTV will do that on OS/2. The bigger problem
    might be finding equipment to play the tape and output the video to the
    computer so that it can be captured, especially if it is in a
    little-used format like 8mm, Beta, or VHS-C.

    http://shop.mensys.nl/catalogue/mnl_EmperoarTV.html

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  12. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:22:51 -0800, David T. Johnson
    wrote:

    > All that would be needed would be simple video capture and
    > digitilization. EmperoarTV will do that on OS/2. The bigger problem
    > might be finding equipment to play the tape and output the video to the
    > computer so that it can be captured, especially if it is in a
    > little-used format like 8mm, Beta, or VHS-C.

    I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    else.
    Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

  13. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving tothe OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Dec 4, 12:11 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:22:51 -0800, David T. Johnson
    > wrote:
    >
    > > All that would be needed would be simple video capture and
    > > digitilization. EmperoarTV will do that on OS/2. The bigger problem
    > > might be finding equipment to play the tape and output the video to the
    > > computer so that it can be captured, especially if it is in a
    > > little-used format like 8mm, Beta, or VHS-C.

    > I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    > else.
    > Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    > PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

    It sounds simple enough but under OS/2 it may be way over the heads of
    people as erudite as the senior Stan Goodman. You'd have to have
    installed a video card capable of capturing video then you'd have to
    buy and install the software (Emperoar TV) so that it actually works
    with your VCR. EmperorTV was always a hit/miss situation. Is the VCR
    a three-way RCA connection or does it have S-Video capability? Are
    cables available for the VCR to connect and will they work with the
    video card and the software cohesively?

    Under OS X it is a piece of cake. You plug in a tiny little thing
    about the size of a thumb drive into a USB port. Its called an EyeTV
    Hybrid and it works on laptops and desktops. Connect your VCR with
    either or both sets of cables noted above directly to the Hybrid's
    port connections (RCA and/or S-Video), install the free EyeTV software
    and start the video. Click record and when the video is finished you
    stop the recording. You can then take the digital recording and edit
    it quite easily (using the EyeTV software feature for editing so easy
    a child can do it) pulling out a frame from here or there, if need be,
    then hit the export button to convert the DV format into AVI, MPG,
    WMV, MP4, DiVX, MPG, MPEG, PSP, MKV, Flash, H.264 or a full fledged
    DVD.

    Ok. There you go. You can then slap it on a web page for auto-play
    display or offer it for download. I mean, Dear God, Mac's were made
    for movie making graphical arts. That's their forte. Today, once you
    have the video made you simply start iWeb (a web page publisher),
    click your spot on the page, hit the video insert button, and all the
    html coding and the video are inserted. Push the publish button and
    presto - it's on the web ready for play or download.

    I just don't see it being that easy with OS/2. And the quality is
    another factor. If you understand Progressive Scanning,
    Deinterlacing, two-pass recording and various audio formats you can
    create a better video then what you had on the VHS using EyeTV because
    there is no other company that offers that kind of encoding in their
    software programs.

    It reminds me much of CD/DVD making under OS/2 - wait, can you even
    make a DVD today? I remember paying oodles of bucks for RSJ and
    generating more coasters then I care to think about then switching to
    CDRecord and becoming a full Nerd Wizard from the command line and yet
    still having luck only 50% of the time. Today I never give it a
    second thought with Toast and OS X. Toast even comes with an option
    to deep read a scratched and/or marred disk, it will compress down a
    multi-gig movie extracted from a commercial DVD to fit nicely on a
    4.4G blank DVD without loss of sound or video quality. Or put the
    whole thing on a DVD-DL! (Funny story here ... I always believed a
    DVD-DL meant that you would get a blank DVD that would record on two
    sides - how else would they get 8Gig on one DVD? Owning so many Macs
    I thought it wise to backup my OS X disk that accompanies every Mac
    delivery (OS X is already installed, the disk is just a backup in case
    you should ever need it). So I tried making a duplicate of the disk
    using Toast but it said there was too much data on the original OS X
    disk to fit on a blank DVD. I go to the Mac Forums and ask what I
    should do and duh... I got a gaggle of responses telling me to buy a
    blank DVD-DL. Ok but I still think that DVD-DL is double sided and I
    wonder if Toast is going to fill up one side then tell me to flip it
    over. I have two SuperDrives (DVDRoms) and I put the OS X disk in
    one, turn on Toast and it tells me to stick in a blank DVD-DL in
    SuperDrive II. 9 minutes later Toast "Dings" and the copy is made.
    So I read the DVD-DL package and realize then that a DVD-DL is just
    one big DVD - capable of recording over 8Gig of data on a DVD-DL
    disk. The things you learn...)

    BTW, I will be selling my (3Ghz, 4TerayByte, 8G0RAM, built-in Airport
    Express, and high end ATI graphics card with 512mb memory) Mac Pro on
    eBay (unless someone wants to make me a decent offer) when the new
    Penryn Mac Pros are announced by Apple (probably as early as February
    or late as April). The increase in speed and power of the new Penryn
    Mac Pros is about 20% but it is likely that the new Penryn Mac Pros
    will come with a Blu-Ray DVDRom, even two Blu-Rays if you feel the
    need. Here's a snap of the new Penryn: http://www.os2guy.com/penryn.jpg
    - you see those four items just above the center there? Those are
    trays. Each tray slides out and accepts a 1TB hard drive. Slide it
    back in and it connects. I have this same machine today except Dual-
    Core Xeon 3Ghz chips instead of the newer Penryn. To the right of
    those chips reside the Ram trays. You can slide in 4Gig modules for a
    total of 32Gig of RAM. What on earth would you do with that kind of
    RAM? I have just 8Gig which is plenty. (When my broadband serviceman
    came out to set me up he stood back in amazement and remarked that
    "even NASA doesn't use such big machines!" I thought that was funny.
    And above the RAM sits the ATI X1900 graphics card - the highest Apple
    offers. It comes with 512MB of RAM and currently runs two 30" HD
    Apple Cinema displays that work as one 60" HD display. That is awe-
    inspiring and it blows me away! It was that graphics card that
    resulted in my back-level from Leopard to Tiger. A week later Apple
    instructed me to install a small utility to manage the fan on that ATI
    card and my system now purrs with Leopard, the card staying at a low
    95degrees. It went as high as 150degrees and they system would just
    stop.

    So, can you blame me for leaving OS/2 for OS X? I've just rambled,
    haven't I? Sorry - but its lunch time and with free WiFi it is much
    too easy to ramble... LOL!

    I would offer my services of video conversion for free but know it
    would take a cold day in hell for Stan Goodman to set aside his
    bigotry and hatred, even if it meant helping the OS/2 community at
    large. How sad.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com

  14. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:22:51 -0800, David T. Johnson
    > wrote:
    >
    >> All that would be needed would be simple video capture and
    >> digitilization. EmperoarTV will do that on OS/2. The bigger problem
    >> might be finding equipment to play the tape and output the video to the
    >> computer so that it can be captured, especially if it is in a
    >> little-used format like 8mm, Beta, or VHS-C.

    > I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    > else.
    > Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    > PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

    EmperoarTV will accept either PAL or NTSC input by selecting the
    appropriate radio button on the 'video input' tab of the 'settings' menu
    notebook.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  15. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    (c) The OS/2 Guy (c) wrote:
    > On Dec 4, 12:11 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:22:51 -0800, David T. Johnson
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> All that would be needed would be simple video capture and
    >>> digitilization. EmperoarTV will do that on OS/2. The bigger problem
    >>> might be finding equipment to play the tape and output the video to the
    >>> computer so that it can be captured, especially if it is in a
    >>> little-used format like 8mm, Beta, or VHS-C.

    >> I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    >> else.
    >> Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    >> PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

    > It sounds simple enough but under OS/2 it may be way over the heads of
    > people as erudite as the senior Stan Goodman. You'd have to have
    > installed a video card capable of capturing video then you'd have to
    > buy and install the software (Emperoar TV) so that it actually works
    > with your VCR. EmperorTV was always a hit/miss situation. Is the VCR
    > a three-way RCA connection or does it have S-Video capability? Are
    > cables available for the VCR to connect and will they work with the
    > video card and the software cohesively?
    >
    > Under OS X it is a piece of cake...

    EmperoarTV will work with the video input accepted by whatever supported
    PVR card is being used, S-video and/or composite video. Perhaps other
    software is, subjectively, easier to use but the video conversion can be
    done on OS/2.
    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  16. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving tothe OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Dec 4, 2:44 pm, "David T. Johnson" wrote:
    > (c) The OS/2 Guy (c) wrote:
    >

    > > On Dec 4, 12:11 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    > > wrote:

    > >> I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    > >> else.
    > >> Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    > >> PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

    > > It sounds simple enough but under OS/2 it may be way over the heads of
    > > people as erudite as the senior Stan Goodman. You'd have to have
    > > installed a video card capable of capturing video then you'd have to
    > > buy and install the software (Emperoar TV) so that it actually works
    > > with your VCR. EmperorTV was always a hit/miss situation. Is the VCR
    > > a three-way RCA connection or does it have S-Video capability? Are
    > > cables available for the VCR to connect and will they work with the
    > > video card and the software cohesively?

    > > Under OS X it is a piece of cake...

    > EmperoarTV will work with the video input accepted by whatever supported
    > PVR card is being used, S-video and/or composite video. Perhaps other
    > software is, subjectively, easier to use but the video conversion can be
    > done on OS/2.
    > --
    > Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    > and Sea Monkey 1.5a

    Great! I hope it makes it to the airwaves soon! I'd love to see it!

    Tim...

  17. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Sir:

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Rich
    >
    > Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    >> What we need is someone to make a movie video out of this.
    >>
    >> Rich W.
    >>

    > I'm not that up on making a "movie video" myself...
    >
    > I do have a bit of hardware that I suspect would be potentially useful:
    > a dvd/vcr combo recorder. It is very capable of turning vhs tapes into
    > dvd recordings.
    >
    > Having created a "dvd version" I guess I then need some software to
    > convert dvd into mpg/avi/wmv or similar formats?

    Nah, just copy the DVD as an ISO image. CD Audio Data Creator can do
    this, along about half dozen other tools.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  18. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:11:56 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    opined:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:22:51 -0800, David T. Johnson
    > wrote:
    >
    > > All that would be needed would be simple video capture and
    > > digitilization. EmperoarTV will do that on OS/2. The bigger problem
    > > might be finding equipment to play the tape and output the video to the
    > > computer so that it can be captured, especially if it is in a
    > > little-used format like 8mm, Beta, or VHS-C.

    > I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    > else.
    >
    > Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    > PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

    The TV standard in Israel is PAL, and that is what the tape is.

    Sorry I neglected to say that. When I posted, I first looked at the
    box and the cassette to see what standards are called out, but there
    is no mention of any at all. Never having had any contact at all with
    tapes, I assumed it must be self-evident. Now a Google search assures
    me that the tape standard here is PAL.

    Do I understand correctly that there is a move to multiplicate the
    tape on DVD? I'm all for that. I would want a copy for myself.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  19. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On 12/04/07 09:19 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >> Hi Rich
    >>
    >> Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    >>> What we need is someone to make a movie video out of this.
    >>>
    >>> Rich W.
    >>>

    >> I'm not that up on making a "movie video" myself...
    >>
    >> I do have a bit of hardware that I suspect would be potentially useful:
    >> a dvd/vcr combo recorder. It is very capable of turning vhs tapes into
    >> dvd recordings.
    >>
    >> Having created a "dvd version" I guess I then need some software to
    >> convert dvd into mpg/avi/wmv or similar formats?
    >>

    > Nah, just copy the DVD as an ISO image. CD Audio Data Creator can do
    > this, along about half dozen other tools.

    Hmm, the message you're replying to never showed up here.
    Anyways FFmpeg and/or mencoder are quite capable of converting a dvd
    into most any other format. Worth considering to bring the file size
    down for those of us with low bandwidth
    Dave

  20. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:11:56 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > opined:
    >> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:22:51 -0800, David T. Johnson
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> All that would be needed would be simple video capture and
    >>> digitilization. EmperoarTV will do that on OS/2. The bigger problem
    >>> might be finding equipment to play the tape and output the video to the
    >>> computer so that it can be captured, especially if it is in a
    >>> little-used format like 8mm, Beta, or VHS-C.

    >> I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    >> else.
    >>
    >> Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    >> PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

    > The TV standard in Israel is PAL, and that is what the tape is.
    >
    > Sorry I neglected to say that. When I posted, I first looked at the
    > box and the cassette to see what standards are called out, but there
    > is no mention of any at all. Never having had any contact at all with
    > tapes, I assumed it must be self-evident. Now a Google search assures
    > me that the tape standard here is PAL.
    >
    > Do I understand correctly that there is a move to multiplicate the
    > tape on DVD? I'm all for that. I would want a copy for myself.

    I don't mind having a go at putting this tape onto dvd and possibly
    using FFmpeg or similar to convert into mpg/avi/wmv

    However, you are in Israel and I'm in the UK; might be worth me checking
    for a local copy with the OS2-UK group before discussing postage etc.

    Regards

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast