Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell" - OS2

This is a discussion on Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell" - OS2 ; On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:46:22 UTC, Peter Brown opined: > Hi Stan > > Stan Goodman wrote: > > On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:11:56 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe > > opined: > >> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:22:51 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:46:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:11:56 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > > opined:

    > >> I believe the OP said it was VHS. I can't really believe it would be anything
    > >> else.
    > >>
    > >> Much more to the point is what format the recording is in. Is it so called
    > >> PAL (625/50) or so called NTSC (525/60)?

    > > The TV standard in Israel is PAL, and that is what the tape is.
    > >
    > > Sorry I neglected to say that. When I posted, I first looked at the
    > > box and the cassette to see what standards are called out, but there
    > > is no mention of any at all. Never having had any contact at all with
    > > tapes, I assumed it must be self-evident. Now a Google search assures
    > > me that the tape standard here is PAL.
    > >
    > > Do I understand correctly that there is a move to multiplicate the
    > > tape on DVD? I'm all for that. I would want a copy for myself.
    > >

    > I don't mind having a go at putting this tape onto dvd and possibly
    > using FFmpeg or similar to convert into mpg/avi/wmv
    >
    > However, you are in Israel and I'm in the UK; might be worth me checking
    > for a local copy with the OS2-UK group before discussing postage etc.

    There is an OS/2 group in the UK? Lucky Albion! Here OS/2 faded into
    the mists of history years ago. When I tell my ISP "OS/2", the two
    possible replies are: 1) "What's that?", and 2) "You mean Mac?". The
    telephone company, on the other hand, has only one answer: "Which
    Windows is that?"

    The postage for a single disk from here to Hingland can not be an
    impressive sum. If it comes to that, It's rather more efficient for me
    to pay it myself rather than waste time looking for the UK group and
    negotiating a postage deal. I've already said that I would like a copy
    of the resulting movie; I'd feel adequately rewarded.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  2. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 23:14:50 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > There is an OS/2 group in the UK? Lucky Albion!

    Mainly a mailing list. I run it. For anyone interested:

    os2-uk-request (at) os2 (dot) org (dot) uk

    Send a message with 'subscribe' in the subject line.
    --
    Bob Eager

  3. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:46:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >> Hi Stan
    >>
    >> Stan Goodman wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:11:56 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    >>> opined:

    >>> The TV standard in Israel is PAL, and that is what the tape is.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I neglected to say that. When I posted, I first looked at the
    >>> box and the cassette to see what standards are called out, but there
    >>> is no mention of any at all. Never having had any contact at all with
    >>> tapes, I assumed it must be self-evident. Now a Google search assures
    >>> me that the tape standard here is PAL.
    >>>
    >>> Do I understand correctly that there is a move to multiplicate the
    >>> tape on DVD? I'm all for that. I would want a copy for myself.
    >>>

    >> I don't mind having a go at putting this tape onto dvd and possibly
    >> using FFmpeg or similar to convert into mpg/avi/wmv
    >>
    >> However, you are in Israel and I'm in the UK; might be worth me checking
    >> for a local copy with the OS2-UK group before discussing postage etc.

    > There is an OS/2 group in the UK? Lucky Albion! Here OS/2 faded into
    > the mists of history years ago. When I tell my ISP "OS/2", the two
    > possible replies are: 1) "What's that?", and 2) "You mean Mac?". The
    > telephone company, on the other hand, has only one answer: "Which
    > Windows is that?"

    I think the responses are about the same worldwide regarding mention of
    OS/2...

    > The postage for a single disk from here to Hingland can not be an
    > impressive sum. If it comes to that, It's rather more efficient for me
    > to pay it myself rather than waste time looking for the UK group and
    > negotiating a postage deal. I've already said that I would like a copy
    > of the resulting movie; I'd feel adequately rewarded.

    Feel free to send me an email - remove the "SPAM-ME-NOT" bit though.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving tothe OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Dec 5, 3:14 pm, "Stan Goodman" wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:46:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >

    > > Hi Stan

    > > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > > On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:11:56 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > > > opined:

    > > > The TV standard in Israel is PAL, and that is what the tape is.

    > > > Sorry I neglected to say that. When I posted, I first looked at the
    > > > box and the cassette to see what standards are called out, but there
    > > > is no mention of any at all. Never having had any contact at all with
    > > > tapes, I assumed it must be self-evident. Now a Google search assures
    > > > me that the tape standard here is PAL.

    > > > Do I understand correctly that there is a move to multiplicate the
    > > > tape on DVD? I'm all for that. I would want a copy for myself.

    > > I don't mind having a go at putting this tape onto dvd and possibly
    > > using FFmpeg or similar to convert into mpg/avi/wmv

    > > However, you are in Israel and I'm in the UK; might be worth me checking
    > > for a local copy with the OS2-UK group before discussing postage etc.

    > There is an OS/2 group in the UK? Lucky Albion! Here OS/2 faded into
    > the mists of history years ago. When I tell my ISP "OS/2", the two
    > possible replies are: 1) "What's that?", and 2) "You mean Mac?". The
    > telephone company, on the other hand, has only one answer: "Which
    > Windows is that?"
    >
    > The postage for a single disk from here to Hingland can not be an
    > impressive sum. If it comes to that, It's rather more efficient for me
    > to pay it myself rather than waste time looking for the UK group and
    > negotiating a postage deal. I've already said that I would like a copy
    > of the resulting movie; I'd feel adequately rewarded.
    >
    > --
    > Stan Goodman
    > Qiryat Tiv'on
    > Israel

    LOL! I am so sorry.

    Tim...

  5. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Sir:

    Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 12/04/07 09:19 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Peter Brown wrote:
    >>> Hi Rich

    >>> I'm not that up on making a "movie video" myself...
    >>>
    >>> I do have a bit of hardware that I suspect would be potentially useful:
    >>> a dvd/vcr combo recorder. It is very capable of turning vhs tapes into
    >>> dvd recordings.
    >>>
    >>> Having created a "dvd version" I guess I then need some software to
    >>> convert dvd into mpg/avi/wmv or similar formats?
    >>>

    >> Nah, just copy the DVD as an ISO image. CD Audio Data Creator can do
    >> this, along about half dozen other tools.

    > Hmm, the message you're replying to never showed up here.
    > Anyways FFmpeg and/or mencoder are quite capable of converting a dvd
    > into most any other format. Worth considering to bring the file size
    > down for those of us with low bandwidth
    > Dave

    Especially, since we are now discussing a TV video format other than US
    standard, ...
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On 12/05/07 06:05 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Dave Yeo wrote:
    >> On 12/04/07 09:19 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>> Sir:

    >>> Nah, just copy the DVD as an ISO image. CD Audio Data Creator can do
    >>> this, along about half dozen other tools.

    >> Hmm, the message you're replying to never showed up here.
    >> Anyways FFmpeg and/or mencoder are quite capable of converting a dvd
    >> into most any other format. Worth considering to bring the file size
    >> down for those of us with low bandwidth
    >> Dave
    >>

    > Especially, since we are now discussing a TV video format other than US
    > standard, ...

    I think once it is converted to dvd format that it will play anywhere in
    the world unless who ever transcodes it puts region coding on it
    Dave

  7. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:19:10 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan

    > > There is an OS/2 group in the UK? Lucky Albion! Here OS/2 faded into
    > > the mists of history years ago. When I tell my ISP "OS/2", the two
    > > possible replies are: 1) "What's that?", and 2) "You mean Mac?". The
    > > telephone company, on the other hand, has only one answer: "Which
    > > Windows is that?"

    > I think the responses are about the same worldwide regarding mention of
    > OS/2...

    Dunno. The mere fact that you have some kind of OS/2 group in the UK
    means to me that the degree of awareness can't be quite the same as it
    is here. I am reasonable sure that I am the entire Israel OS/2 User
    Group, all the non-Windows folk having migrated to Linux long ago.

    > > The postage for a single disk from here to Hingland can not be an
    > > impressive sum. If it comes to that, It's rather more efficient for me
    > > to pay it myself rather than waste time looking for the UK group and
    > > negotiating a postage deal. I've already said that I would like a copy
    > > of the resulting movie; I'd feel adequately rewarded.

    > Feel free to send me an email - remove the "SPAM-ME-NOT" bit though.

    Look in your mailbox.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  8. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:46:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >> Hi Stan
    >>
    >> Stan Goodman wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:11:56 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    >>> opined:

    >>> The TV standard in Israel is PAL, and that is what the tape is.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I neglected to say that. When I posted, I first looked at the
    >>> box and the cassette to see what standards are called out, but there
    >>> is no mention of any at all. Never having had any contact at all with
    >>> tapes, I assumed it must be self-evident. Now a Google search assures
    >>> me that the tape standard here is PAL.
    >>>
    >>> Do I understand correctly that there is a move to multiplicate the
    >>> tape on DVD? I'm all for that. I would want a copy for myself.
    >>>

    >> I don't mind having a go at putting this tape onto dvd and possibly
    >> using FFmpeg or similar to convert into mpg/avi/wmv
    >>
    >> However, you are in Israel and I'm in the UK; might be worth me checking
    >> for a local copy with the OS2-UK group before discussing postage etc.

    > There is an OS/2 group in the UK? Lucky Albion! Here OS/2 faded into
    > the mists of history years ago. When I tell my ISP "OS/2", the two
    > possible replies are: 1) "What's that?", and 2) "You mean Mac?". The
    > telephone company, on the other hand, has only one answer: "Which
    > Windows is that?"

    If I have any conversation with my ISP, I first enjoy the shocked
    silence on the other side, after I reply to their "What operating
    system?" question, and then I tell them "Just talk with me as if I were
    a Linux user." This usually works. :-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  9. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:51:27 UTC, MMI opined:

    > If I have any conversation with my ISP, I first enjoy the shocked
    > silence on the other side, after I reply to their "What operating
    > system?" question, and then I tell them "Just talk with me as if I were
    > a Linux user." This usually works. :-)

    Yes, that is the tactic I have adopted too. It's the only way to get
    him to speak to me about function, rather than mouse clicks.

    The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    is "Then which Mac version".

    It's all very sad.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  10. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:40:07 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:51:27 UTC, MMI opined:
    >
    > > If I have any conversation with my ISP, I first enjoy the shocked
    > > silence on the other side, after I reply to their "What operating
    > > system?" question, and then I tell them "Just talk with me as if I were
    > > a Linux user." This usually works. :-)

    > Yes, that is the tactic I have adopted too. It's the only way to get
    > him to speak to me about function, rather than mouse clicks.
    >
    > The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    > system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    > is "Then which Mac version".
    >
    > It's all very sad.

    I had a funny one the other day while discussing connectivity issues
    with tech. support for my city municipal wifi internet. The guy was
    prepping himself to explain the mysteries of "ping" to a windows user.
    I told him I wasn't using windows, so I had no problem finding the
    command line.

    "Linux?" he asked. "No... (silent sigh from me) ... OS/2", I
    confessed.

    He said "Oh wow! You already know more than I do!".

    --
    Barbara

  11. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Hi

    MMI wrote:
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    >> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:46:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    >> opined:
    >>> Hi Stan

    >>> I don't mind having a go at putting this tape onto dvd and possibly
    >>> using FFmpeg or similar to convert into mpg/avi/wmv
    >>>
    >>> However, you are in Israel and I'm in the UK; might be worth me
    >>> checking for a local copy with the OS2-UK group before discussing
    >>> postage etc.

    >> There is an OS/2 group in the UK? Lucky Albion! Here OS/2 faded into
    >> the mists of history years ago. When I tell my ISP "OS/2", the two
    >> possible replies are: 1) "What's that?", and 2) "You mean Mac?". The
    >> telephone company, on the other hand, has only one answer: "Which
    >> Windows is that?"

    > If I have any conversation with my ISP, I first enjoy the shocked
    > silence on the other side, after I reply to their "What operating
    > system?" question, and then I tell them "Just talk with me as if I were
    > a Linux user." This usually works. :-)

    That may not work with Virgin Media (ex NTL) Tech Support: They will
    calmly tell you that they "cannot and will not help if you are not
    running a fairly current Windows or Mac system".

    However, when this happened to me I contacted VM Customer Service and
    gave them 24 hours to remove all their bits and bobs from my property
    including their cable. I also mentioned some useful words: "Solicitor"
    and "Breach of Contract".

    They asked why; I told them about the Tech Support response and the fact
    that regardless of OS in use this was a tcpip problem at their end. Then
    I was told that I should put the phone down and wait for a call back in
    a few minutes.

    About 10 mins later VM Tech Support phoned and asked what the problem
    was and it was resolved very quickly - the cable modem was failing and
    needed replacing which happened within a couple of hours.

    Simply a case of being prepared to put the (legal) boot in :-)

    Regards

    Pete

  12. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Stan Goodman wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:51:27 UTC, MMI opined:
    >
    >> If I have any conversation with my ISP, I first enjoy the shocked
    >> silence on the other side, after I reply to their "What operating
    >> system?" question, and then I tell them "Just talk with me as if I were
    >> a Linux user." This usually works. :-)

    > Yes, that is the tactic I have adopted too. It's the only way to get
    > him to speak to me about function, rather than mouse clicks.
    >
    > The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    > system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    > is "Then which Mac version".
    >
    > It's all very sad.

    The best one I've seen lately was calling tech support for a web hosting
    site. The site itself makes a big deal about running under Debian Linux
    but their tech support (Level 1, at least) starting escalating the call the
    minute I said that I wanted to set some configurations not cover by their
    Win oriented web management interface. No clue about directory structure,
    permissions, aliases, nada! Finally got one tech on the line and despite
    an accent that was barely intelligible we communicated quite easily once
    explained what I was running and what I wanted to do.

    --
    Will Honea

  13. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On 07 Dec 2007 11:40:07 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:

    > The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    > system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    > is "Then which Mac version".

    Why the f* does it matter what damned OS anyone is running? The TCP/IP packets
    don't care. I often wonder what people talk to their ISPs about that is so
    relevant to Windoze.

  14. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 21:39:32 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    opined:
    > On 07 Dec 2007 11:40:07 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    > > The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    > > system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    > > is "Then which Mac version".

    > Why the f* does it matter what damned OS anyone is running? The TCP/IP packets
    > don't care. I often wonder what people talk to their ISPs about that is so
    > relevant to Windoze.

    There is nothing that they talk about that is relevant to Windows. The
    proof of that is that the experience of any of us in speaking with the
    ISP support staff invariably centers on getting the tech to speak in
    general terms, rather than drawing a picture of which button is where
    on a Windows desktop. The point is that the great marketting success
    of Windows has lead to a situation in which the great majority of
    Windows users regard the computer and its software as a black box with
    only one control (the On/Off switch) and all the complexity of a
    toaster. For this reason, Windows users _prefer_ and _require_ that
    support personnel guide them in this way. If you are using OS/2 or
    Linux, you learn to deal with it.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  15. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On 07 Dec 2007 23:47:05 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:

    >> > The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    >> > system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    >> > is "Then which Mac version".

    >> Why the f* does it matter what damned OS anyone is running? The TCP/IP packets
    >> don't care. I often wonder what people talk to their ISPs about that is so
    >> relevant to Windoze.

    > There is nothing that they talk about that is relevant to Windows.

    Exactly, so why not just tell them what they want to hear, by lieing, and move
    on?

  16. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Movingto the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On 07 Dec 2007 11:40:07 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    >> The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    >> system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    >> is "Then which Mac version".

    > Why the f* does it matter what damned OS anyone is running? The TCP/IP packets
    > don't care. I often wonder what people talk to their ISPs about that is so
    > relevant to Windoze.

    Good point. Why even talk to the phone rep. " >ipconfig -all" is going
    to tell you everything you need to know.

  17. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

    > On 07 Dec 2007 11:40:07 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    >> The only difference is that the ISP _never_ asks me "What operating
    >> system"; he asks "What Windows are you using". The subsequent question
    >> is "Then which Mac version".

    > Why the f* does it matter what damned OS anyone is running? The TCP/IP
    > packets don't care. I often wonder what people talk to their ISPs about
    > that is so relevant to Windoze.

    Paul, the problem is more one of the support people. They can take a burger
    flipper and train him to follow the script for using Windows tools - but he
    still doesn't know what all his prattle means. I've spent too many hours
    on hold trying to get even the simplest information from those "level 1"
    techs already. My son took a job with one of the fairly large NE US
    providers (territory covers Chicago to upstate NY and New England, call
    center is in Colorado - go figure). He had spent some time with me
    figuring out networking from OS/2 and that taught him enough that they
    bumped him to level 2 then level three within a month. You don't get
    competent network techs for minimum wage but the vast majority of problems
    can be handled from a canned script - IF the caller uses the most common
    operating system so that you can step him through the mouse clicks as
    written in his script. Scott's outfit actually rewards the low level types
    who are smart enough to forward issues beyond their competence as soon as
    they recognize a problem - cuts average support call time by a huge amount
    and keeps customers happy at the same time. It's that low level tech that
    needs you to be running the OS he expects. Where nearly all the outfits
    fall down is not training their people to quickly pass the unusual calls on
    up ASAP.

    --
    Will Honea

  18. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 02:12:47 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    opined:

    > >> Why the f* does it matter what damned OS anyone is running? The TCP/IP packets
    > >> don't care. I often wonder what people talk to their ISPs about that is so
    > >> relevant to Windoze.

    > > There is nothing that they talk about that is relevant to Windows.

    > Exactly, so why not just tell them what they want to hear, by lieing, and move
    > on?

    Because if I tell them I am using XP, they will tell me what to click
    on, using names that are specific to XP (or to Windows) and
    meaningless to me.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  19. Re: Offering FREE the promotional video tape: "OS/2 v2.0: Moving to the OS/2 Workplace Shell"

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 01:43:16 -0700, Will Honea wrote:

    > Where nearly all the outfits fall down is not training their people to
    > quickly pass the unusual calls on up ASAP.

    Your explanation makes perfect sense and the above is really crucial - those
    customers who do know what they are talking about should bypass all the
    level 1 crap automatically, but they do not. It is very difficult to get
    beyond it without an argument.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2