Please Explain *.XPI files - OS2

This is a discussion on Please Explain *.XPI files - OS2 ; By installing SeaMonkey, I ran across *.XPI files. They want to install from the net. However, I downloaded one and saved it. (Actually I confused myself thinking it was a *.WPI (warpin) file which I understand. So, can someone please ...

  1. Please Explain *.XPI files

    By installing SeaMonkey, I ran across *.XPI files. They want to
    install from the net. However, I downloaded one and saved it.
    (Actually I confused myself thinking it was a *.WPI (warpin) file
    which I understand. So, can someone please give me an explaination of
    what they are and how to used them from local (HD) media.

    Thanks,
    Paul
    --

  2. Re: Please Explain *.XPI files

    On 12/01/07 08:18 pm, PaulRS wrote:
    > By installing SeaMonkey, I ran across *.XPI files. They want to
    > install from the net. However, I downloaded one and saved it.
    > (Actually I confused myself thinking it was a *.WPI (warpin) file
    > which I understand. So, can someone please give me an explaination of
    > what they are and how to used them from local (HD) media.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    *.XPI files usually contain addons for Seamonkey or more often Firefox,
    some are for both. Addons add extra functionality to the browser, goto
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/sea.../browse/type:1 to see most of
    them.
    The first one you should really install is flashblock (google it) as
    most Seamonkey crashes are flash related. Flashblok will replace flash
    with a black window with an arrow (play button) which you can press to
    play the flash animation. Very handy to weed out ads and other useless
    stuff.
    With Seamonkey 1 (2 is under development) most install to the browser
    directory so you lose them when updating.
    Unluckily a badly written extension can cause instability so be
    conservative about installing them and ideally only install from trusted
    sites
    The other nice thing about extensions is 98%+ are cross platform so run
    fine under OS/2
    Dave

  3. Re: Please Explain *.XPI files

    Hi Paul

    PaulRS wrote:
    > By installing SeaMonkey, I ran across *.XPI files. They want to
    > install from the net. However, I downloaded one and saved it.
    > (Actually I confused myself thinking it was a *.WPI (warpin) file
    > which I understand. So, can someone please give me an explaination of
    > what they are and how to used them from local (HD) media.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    These files are Extensions for the Mozilla family products and, put
    simply, extend the capabilities of those products.

    If you download an xpi then to install it from local drive you can use
    the browser "File, Open" or simply dragn'drop the file onto the browser
    to start the install - presumably that would also work for Thunderbird
    but as I do not use it I do not know.

    Standard xpi files for Seamonkey can be found here
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey

    There are some very useful "modified for Seamonkey" xpi files,
    especially if looking for a good ftp client (FireFTP), here
    http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modified.html

    Have fun :-)

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread