The Push To Discredit Leopard - OS2

This is a discussion on The Push To Discredit Leopard - OS2 ; I'm sure you've seen them lately. It started at PCMagazine with a short pro/con review of Leopard but has been picked up by a gaggle of Windows/Microsoft loving bloggers who are now claiming "Apple's Leopard is the New Vista". Their ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: The Push To Discredit Leopard

  1. The Push To Discredit Leopard

    I'm sure you've seen them lately. It started at PCMagazine with a
    short pro/con review of Leopard but has been picked up by a gaggle of
    Windows/Microsoft loving bloggers who are now claiming "Apple's
    Leopard is the New Vista". Their game is to discredit Leopard and
    Apple, to insinuate Leopard is as poorly developed as Vista. That's
    total hogwash, of course, but there are those computer users looking
    at Macs as an alternative and believing the crap posted by PCMagazine
    and their blog lovers.

    Read the entire article here:

    http://www.os2guy.com/2007/11/free-w...ad-iphone.html

    On this same page you can read these scoops:

    - The First Pre-iPhone Mini for sale on Cragslist
    - iPhone Credit Ends COB Today
    - Release date for Office for the Mac 2008
    - Release date for new 20% faster Mac Pros

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com

  2. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    I am sure this has received a lot of attention in the
    comp.sys.mac.advocacy group. If not, you can be the first?


  3. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article
    <9f77e942-49cd-4d01-b342-b73ce4b7df3e@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    "(c) The OS/2 Guy (c)" wrote:

    > I'm sure you've seen them lately. It started at PCMagazine with a
    > short pro/con review of Leopard but has been picked up by a gaggle of
    > Windows/Microsoft loving bloggers who are now claiming "Apple's
    > Leopard is the New Vista". Their game is to discredit Leopard and
    > Apple, to insinuate Leopard is as poorly developed as Vista. That's
    > total hogwash, of course, but there are those computer users looking
    > at Macs as an alternative and believing the crap posted by PCMagazine
    > and their blog lovers.


    Well, without going anywhere _near_ "Leopard is as poorly developed
    as Vista" (which I do not remotely believe to be the case...), I have
    good experience with Leopard on my MacBook (other than the utterly
    abominable and hateful "translucent" menus, which suck big time...).

    However, I have nothing but grief trying to put Leopard on my G5 dual
    system. Half a dozen attempts, with varying styles (upgrading, doing
    a complete erase-and-install, etc.) all wind up unusable. I have never
    (in about 20 years of Mac usage, starting with a MacII) had this kind
    of problem with a new Mac OS release. Ever. Leopard is, IMO, flawed.

  4. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    Michael Siemon wrote:
    > In article
    > <9f77e942-49cd-4d01-b342-b73ce4b7df3e@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    > "(c) The OS/2 Guy (c)" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure you've seen them lately. It started at PCMagazine with a
    >> short pro/con review of Leopard but has been picked up by a gaggle of
    >> Windows/Microsoft loving bloggers who are now claiming "Apple's
    >> Leopard is the New Vista". Their game is to discredit Leopard and
    >> Apple, to insinuate Leopard is as poorly developed as Vista. That's
    >> total hogwash, of course, but there are those computer users looking
    >> at Macs as an alternative and believing the crap posted by PCMagazine
    >> and their blog lovers.

    >
    > Well, without going anywhere _near_ "Leopard is as poorly developed
    > as Vista" (which I do not remotely believe to be the case...), I have
    > good experience with Leopard on my MacBook (other than the utterly
    > abominable and hateful "translucent" menus, which suck big time...).
    >
    > However, I have nothing but grief trying to put Leopard on my G5 dual
    > system. Half a dozen attempts, with varying styles (upgrading, doing
    > a complete erase-and-install, etc.) all wind up unusable. I have never
    > (in about 20 years of Mac usage, starting with a MacII) had this kind
    > of problem with a new Mac OS release. Ever. Leopard is, IMO, flawed.


    No, your logic is flawed.

    Checked your hardware/memory?

    As you said, it works on your MacBook.


  5. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article
    <47510994$0$25239$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    Andy wrote:

    > Michael Siemon wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <9f77e942-49cd-4d01-b342-b73ce4b7df3e@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    > > "(c) The OS/2 Guy (c)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm sure you've seen them lately. It started at PCMagazine with a
    > >> short pro/con review of Leopard but has been picked up by a gaggle of
    > >> Windows/Microsoft loving bloggers who are now claiming "Apple's
    > >> Leopard is the New Vista". Their game is to discredit Leopard and
    > >> Apple, to insinuate Leopard is as poorly developed as Vista. That's
    > >> total hogwash, of course, but there are those computer users looking
    > >> at Macs as an alternative and believing the crap posted by PCMagazine
    > >> and their blog lovers.

    > >
    > > Well, without going anywhere _near_ "Leopard is as poorly developed
    > > as Vista" (which I do not remotely believe to be the case...), I have
    > > good experience with Leopard on my MacBook (other than the utterly
    > > abominable and hateful "translucent" menus, which suck big time...).
    > >
    > > However, I have nothing but grief trying to put Leopard on my G5 dual
    > > system. Half a dozen attempts, with varying styles (upgrading, doing
    > > a complete erase-and-install, etc.) all wind up unusable. I have never
    > > (in about 20 years of Mac usage, starting with a MacII) had this kind
    > > of problem with a new Mac OS release. Ever. Leopard is, IMO, flawed.

    >
    > No, your logic is flawed.
    >
    > Checked your hardware/memory?
    >
    > As you said, it works on your MacBook.


    The G5 runs every other Mac OS of the last three+ years just fine,
    thank you. Abstract notions of "there is a hardware problem" are
    mostly just crap, in that context. You can believe that if you like.
    Sure, there may be some bizarre and totally obscure reason that the
    new OS _doesn't_ work -- but so ****ing what? It _doesn't_ work.
    Meanwhile, Tiger is just great. No problem at all. That is _not_
    my definition of a "hardware" problem.

    Do you understand that? What the **** is your point? I should junk
    my system because it won't run an OS upgrade that I have ambivalent
    feelings about? I repeat -- there is _no_ problem on this system in
    Tiger. None. Nada. Nitchevo. I suspect, rather, that Apple is not
    really all that interested in Power PC G5 systems, these days. I'll
    live with it, and I will probably pick up the new MacPro when it
    is announced. But that doesn't mean I'm a happy camper. I have, as
    I said, _never_ had this kind of **** from Apple before.

  6. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    Michael Siemon wrote:
    > In article
    > <47510994$0$25239$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    > Andy wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Siemon wrote:


    >>> However, I have nothing but grief trying to put Leopard on my G5 dual
    >>> system. Half a dozen attempts, with varying styles (upgrading, doing
    >>> a complete erase-and-install, etc.) all wind up unusable. I have never
    >>> (in about 20 years of Mac usage, starting with a MacII) had this kind
    >>> of problem with a new Mac OS release. Ever. Leopard is, IMO, flawed.

    >> No, your logic is flawed.
    >>
    >> Checked your hardware/memory?
    >>
    >> As you said, it works on your MacBook.

    >
    > The G5 runs every other Mac OS of the last three+ years just fine,
    > thank you. Abstract notions of "there is a hardware problem" are
    > mostly just crap, in that context. You can believe that if you like.
    > Sure, there may be some bizarre and totally obscure reason that the
    > new OS _doesn't_ work -- but so ****ing what? It _doesn't_ work.
    > Meanwhile, Tiger is just great. No problem at all. That is _not_
    > my definition of a "hardware" problem.
    >
    > Do you understand that? What the **** is your point? I should junk
    > my system because it won't run an OS upgrade that I have ambivalent
    > feelings about? I repeat -- there is _no_ problem on this system in
    > Tiger. None. Nada. Nitchevo. I suspect, rather, that Apple is not
    > really all that interested in Power PC G5 systems, these days. I'll
    > live with it, and I will probably pick up the new MacPro when it
    > is announced. But that doesn't mean I'm a happy camper. I have, as
    > I said, _never_ had this kind of **** from Apple before.



    So...

    Have you run memtest in single user mode to check for MARGINAL RAM?

    I'm guessing not.

  7. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    Andy wrote:
    > Michael Siemon wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <47510994$0$25239$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Michael Siemon wrote:

    >
    >>>> However, I have nothing but grief trying to put Leopard on my G5 dual
    >>>> system. Half a dozen attempts, with varying styles (upgrading, doing
    >>>> a complete erase-and-install, etc.) all wind up unusable. I have never
    >>>> (in about 20 years of Mac usage, starting with a MacII) had this kind
    >>>> of problem with a new Mac OS release. Ever. Leopard is, IMO, flawed.
    >>> No, your logic is flawed.
    >>>
    >>> Checked your hardware/memory?
    >>>
    >>> As you said, it works on your MacBook.

    >>
    >> The G5 runs every other Mac OS of the last three+ years just fine,
    >> thank you. Abstract notions of "there is a hardware problem" are
    >> mostly just crap, in that context. You can believe that if you like.
    >> Sure, there may be some bizarre and totally obscure reason that the
    >> new OS _doesn't_ work -- but so ****ing what? It _doesn't_ work.
    >> Meanwhile, Tiger is just great. No problem at all. That is _not_
    >> my definition of a "hardware" problem.
    >>
    >> Do you understand that? What the **** is your point? I should junk
    >> my system because it won't run an OS upgrade that I have ambivalent
    >> feelings about? I repeat -- there is _no_ problem on this system in
    >> Tiger. None. Nada. Nitchevo. I suspect, rather, that Apple is not
    >> really all that interested in Power PC G5 systems, these days. I'll
    >> live with it, and I will probably pick up the new MacPro when it
    >> is announced. But that doesn't mean I'm a happy camper. I have, as
    >> I said, _never_ had this kind of **** from Apple before.

    >
    >
    > So...
    >
    > Have you run memtest in single user mode to check for MARGINAL RAM?
    >
    > I'm guessing not.


    No chit.

    Greg

  8. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article
    <47510994$0$25239$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    Andy wrote:

    > No, your logic is flawed.
    >
    > Checked your hardware/memory?
    >
    > As you said, it works on your MacBook.


    It works perfectly on my Mac Pro, too, but there are a slew of reports
    of it _not_ working on some G5 machines. It's flawed somehow, and
    playing the "the customer is always wrong" game isn't going to change
    that. Apple isn't the established church, Stevie isn't the godhead.
    Apple is a huge and greedy corporation that's made some interesting
    mistakes recently.

    I like Leopard, but there's some seriously stupid (to the point of
    retardation) design in the interface and why the **** isn't Java 6
    included and why the **** won't Apple talk about it? And what mental
    midget designed those leaning-tower stacks?

    Remember PowerTalk? AROSE?
    --
    W. Oates

  9. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article <13l29t08p8no077@corp.supernews.com>,
    "G.T." wrote:

    The Push To Discredit Leopard?

    .....And some people will defend Apple no matter what reality intrudes.

  10. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    (c) The OS/2 Guy (c) wrote:
    > http://www.os2guy.com/2007/11/free-w...ad-iphone.html


    Can you please call that beautiful wall paper "The Road Ahead" after the
    great Bill Gates novel? ;-)

    --
    Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.
    http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u

  11. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article ,
    Rikoski wrote:

    > The Push To Discredit Leopard?
    >
    > ....And some people will defend Apple no matter what reality
    > intrudes.


    And many more will attack Apple no matter what reality intrudes.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

  12. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    Rikoski wrote:
    > ....And some people will defend Apple no matter what reality intrudes.


    Well, when faced with a conspiracy, I mena a "Push" ....

    :-)

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which
    the only specification is that it should run noiselessly.
    -- unknown

  13. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard[FUD4]

    Jon Harrop wrote:
    > (c) The OS/2 Guy (c) wrote:
    >> http://www.os2guy.com/2007/11/free-w...ad-iphone.html

    >
    > Can you please call that beautiful wall paper "The Road Ahead" after the
    > great Bill Gates novel? ;-)
    >


    Having Tim/Larry on the team and cross posting to OS2 groups will
    certainly help to discredit the Leopard. FUD, invented by Gates and
    adopted by Timmy.

  14. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    Keep your Mac discussions in the Mac groups please.


    Remove comp.os.os2.misc *Before* replying so that I don't see the reply :-)

    Thank You



    (c) The OS/2 Guy (c) wrote:
    > I'm sure you've seen them lately. It started at PCMagazine with a
    > short pro/con review of Leopard but has been picked up by a gaggle of
    > Windows/Microsoft loving bloggers who are now claiming "Apple's
    > Leopard is the New Vista". Their game is to discredit Leopard and
    > Apple, to insinuate Leopard is as poorly developed as Vista. That's
    > total hogwash, of course, but there are those computer users looking
    > at Macs as an alternative and believing the crap posted by PCMagazine
    > and their blog lovers.
    >
    > Read the entire article here:
    >
    > http://www.os2guy.com/2007/11/free-w...ad-iphone.html
    >
    > On this same page you can read these scoops:
    >
    > - The First Pre-iPhone Mini for sale on Cragslist
    > - iPhone Credit Ends COB Today
    > - Release date for Office for the Mac 2008
    > - Release date for new 20% faster Mac Pros
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com


  15. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article
    <9f77e942-49cd-4d01-b342-b73ce4b7df3e@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    "(c) The OS/2 Guy (c)" wrote:

    > I'm sure you've seen them lately. It started at PCMagazine


    Yeah, Larry. About a week ago.

    As usual, Larry Chauvet is clueless.

    Bob Campbell

  16. Re: [FUD4] The Push To Discredit Leopard

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 02:15:39 UTC, "(c) The OS/2 Guy (c)"
    wrote:

    His usual load of garbage. NOBODY discredits leopard more than the, so
    called, os2guy.

    Please, in the future, use a little respect for your fellow news
    readers, and add the designation [FUD4] to the subject line, as I,
    hopefully, remembered to do here, when replying to one of them (if you
    really feel that you must make yourself look silly), or when
    discussing the "problem", and filter the FUD4 (you will easily
    identify them, when they post), AND the FUD4 subject, to avoid even
    seeing their crap. Also, try to refrain from quoting ANYTHING, that
    they have to say. That will help to avoid the other problem (news
    group noise). Many users really don't care anymore, and doing this,
    helps to make this news group usable again.

    Also, see:

    http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/

    if you don't know what all of this is about.

    If you persist in quoting the idiot(s), without using the [FUD4] flag,
    in the subject, I will have to globally filter you (and others) too.
    Arguing with the idiot(s), makes you just as bad as they are. If you
    feel that you must say something, simply erase everything that they
    have to say, and point any follow on readers to the above web page. It
    says all that needs to be said to, and about, the idiot(s).

    Thanks...
    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net
    (Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)


  17. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article ,
    Michael Siemon wrote:

    > Well, without going anywhere _near_ "Leopard is as poorly developed
    > as Vista" (which I do not remotely believe to be the case...), I have
    > good experience with Leopard on my MacBook (other than the utterly
    > abominable and hateful "translucent" menus, which suck big time...).
    >
    > However, I have nothing but grief trying to put Leopard on my G5 dual
    > system. Half a dozen attempts, with varying styles (upgrading, doing
    > a complete erase-and-install, etc.) all wind up unusable. I have never
    > (in about 20 years of Mac usage, starting with a MacII) had this kind
    > of problem with a new Mac OS release. Ever. Leopard is, IMO, flawed.



    Upgraded to Leopard (from burned DVD) into a Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5,
    with 512MB: no problem at all, it works as a charm. Not that I like it
    much more that Tiger or Panther, but I've had no problems.

    (The machine where I do most of my work is on 10.3.9).

    _x.

    --
    Only one "o" in my e-mail address

  18. Re: The Push To Discredit Leopard

    On Dec 3, 6:28 am, Xavier Llobet wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Michael Siemon wrote:
    >
    > > Well, without going anywhere _near_ "Leopard is as poorly developed
    > > as Vista" (which I do not remotely believe to be the case...), I have
    > > good experience with Leopard on my MacBook (other than the utterly
    > > abominable and hateful "translucent" menus, which suck big time...).

    >
    > > However, I have nothing but grief trying to put Leopard on my G5 dual
    > > system. Half a dozen attempts, with varying styles (upgrading, doing
    > > a complete erase-and-install, etc.) all wind up unusable. I have never
    > > (in about 20 years of Mac usage, starting with a MacII) had this kind
    > > of problem with a new Mac OS release. Ever. Leopard is, IMO, flawed.

    >
    > Upgraded to Leopard (from burned DVD) into a Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5,
    > with 512MB: no problem at all, it works as a charm. Not that I like it
    > much more that Tiger or Panther, but I've had no problems.
    >
    > (The machine where I do most of my work is on 10.3.9).
    >
    > _x.
    >
    > --
    > Only one "o" in my e-mail address


    Any chance you could stop cross this posting Leopard stuff?

    Thanks,

  19. Re: [FUD4] The Push To Discredit Leopard

    In article ,
    "Doug Bissett" wrote:

    > If you persist in quoting the idiot(s), without using the [FUD4] flag,
    > in the subject, I will have to globally filter you (and others) too.


    Please do. Now you've created a 2nd thread about nothing except your own
    neurotic instabilities.
    --
    W. Oates

  20. Inappropriate postings for comp.os.os2.* groups

    PB> Remove comp.os.os2.misc *Before* replying so that I don't see the
    reply :-)

    http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoy...d/FGA/add-the-
    followup-to-header.html>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast