Apache/PHP problem - OS2

This is a discussion on Apache/PHP problem - OS2 ; I have Apache/2 2.6-PHP 5.2.5 on a ecs1.1 I use a php/mysql learning CMSt called moodle ( www.moodle.org ) The system usually works well and used to work decently also when about 40 students were connected. However, while I was ...

  1. Apache/PHP problem

    I have Apache/2 2.6-PHP 5.2.5 on a ecs1.1
    I use a php/mysql learning CMSt called moodle (www.moodle.org)

    The system usually works well and used to work decently also when about
    40 students were connected.

    However, while I was in a computer room today with 30 students, when
    they started to connect the system became unresponsive, with many errors
    (file not found) usually indicating that memory resources had gone :-(

    Eventually, the server froze (The computer was in a different building
    and I had to call somebody to reset the machine)

    I have VIRTUALLADDRESSLIMIT set to 2048 in the config.sys and
    MEMORY_LIMIT=16M in PHP:INI

    I seem to recall that VIRTUALLADDRESSLIMIT was set to 3072 until a few
    months ago, and that I reduced it because firefox was eating too much
    memory.

    Would set it back to 3072 improve the situation (provided that I would
    not use firefox at the same time?)

    Or should I try to reduce it further?

    Or is there any other setting that I may try to change?

    thanks,
    Piersante

  2. Re: Apache/PHP problem

    Hi Piersante

    piesse wrote:
    > I have Apache/2 2.6-PHP 5.2.5 on a ecs1.1
    > I use a php/mysql learning CMSt called moodle (www.moodle.org)
    >
    > The system usually works well and used to work decently also when about
    > 40 students were connected.
    >
    > However, while I was in a computer room today with 30 students, when
    > they started to connect the system became unresponsive, with many errors
    > (file not found) usually indicating that memory resources had gone :-(
    >
    > Eventually, the server froze (The computer was in a different building
    > and I had to call somebody to reset the machine)
    >
    > I have VIRTUALLADDRESSLIMIT set to 2048 in the config.sys and
    > MEMORY_LIMIT=16M in PHP:INI
    >
    > I seem to recall that VIRTUALLADDRESSLIMIT was set to 3072 until a few
    > months ago, and that I reduced it because firefox was eating too much
    > memory.
    >
    > Would set it back to 3072 improve the situation (provided that I would
    > not use firefox at the same time?)
    >
    > Or should I try to reduce it further?
    >
    > Or is there any other setting that I may try to change?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Piersante

    Try

    VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=1536

    Also note the spelling in case you have it wrong in config.sys.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: Apache/PHP problem

    Sir:

    piesse wrote:
    > I have Apache/2 2.6-PHP 5.2.5 on a ecs1.1
    > I use a php/mysql learning CMSt called moodle (www.moodle.org)
    >
    > The system usually works well and used to work decently also when about
    > 40 students were connected.
    >
    > However, while I was in a computer room today with 30 students, when
    > they started to connect the system became unresponsive, with many errors
    > (file not found) usually indicating that memory resources had gone :-(
    >
    > Eventually, the server froze (The computer was in a different building
    > and I had to call somebody to reset the machine)
    >
    > I have VIRTUALLADDRESSLIMIT set to 2048 in the config.sys and
    > MEMORY_LIMIT=16M in PHP:INI
    >
    > I seem to recall that VIRTUALLADDRESSLIMIT was set to 3072 until a few
    > months ago, and that I reduced it because firefox was eating too much
    > memory.
    >
    > Would set it back to 3072 improve the situation (provided that I would
    > not use firefox at the same time?)
    >
    > Or should I try to reduce it further?
    >
    > Or is there any other setting that I may try to change?

    If it worked with the higher memory limit, then I would return to it,
    knowing your limits on other software.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Apache/PHP problem

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > If it worked with the higher memory limit, then I would return to it,
    > knowing your limits on other software.

    As you may expect, that is not the only thing that changed: I have
    updated version of Apache/2, PHP, and Moodle: I have just discovered
    that the latter now requires a memory_limit of 40 M in php,ini

    I changed that, and will see what happen, although increasing memory
    usage might just make things worst...

    thanks,
    Piersante

  5. Re: Apache/PHP problem

    Peter Brown wrote:

    > Try
    >
    > VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=1536

    thanks, but why?
    What kind of memory actually PHP consumes?

    Piersante

  6. Re: Apache/PHP problem

    Hi Piersante

    piesse wrote:
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >>

    >> Try
    >>
    >> VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=1536
    >>

    > thanks, but why?
    > What kind of memory actually PHP consumes?
    >
    > Piersante

    It may not be a memory issue as such... more a case of allocation of
    resources problem.

    The above setting seems to provide the best answer on several systems
    here and I seem to have noticed it posted as an answer several times in
    response to similar problems.

    Of course it may not help at all :-)

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread