Programs not woring from Boot-CD - OS2

This is a discussion on Programs not woring from Boot-CD - OS2 ; Hello, I'm using a self-made Boot-CD for maintenance purposes. The CD boots to a command line (cmd.exe). This works fine except that some executables, when started, block the system. I'm not sure wether the system freezes or just the executable, ...

  1. Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Hello,

    I'm using a self-made Boot-CD for maintenance purposes. The CD boots to a command line (cmd.exe). This works fine
    except that some executables, when started, block the system. I'm not sure wether the system freezes or just the executable,
    because CTRL-C does not work anymore and the system has to be powered off.

    The problem seems to exist mostly with the programs from the TCPIP subdir, e.g. ftp.exe displays one line of text and then
    stops. ping.exe works properly. But there is at least one other program which also doesn't work and hasn't anything to do with
    networking. This one, however, can be interrupted with CTRL-C.

    How can I find out why e.g. ftp.exe stops? Maybe it's looking for a file which is not present on the CD?

    Thanks and regards
    Stefan

  2. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Stefan Pelz
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm using a self-made Boot-CD for maintenance purposes. The CD boots to a command line (cmd.exe). This works fine
    > except that some executables, when started, block the system. I'm not sure wether the system freezes or just the executable,
    > because CTRL-C does not work anymore and the system has to be powered off.
    >
    > The problem seems to exist mostly with the programs from the TCPIP subdir, e.g. ftp.exe displays one line of text and then
    > stops. ping.exe works properly. But there is at least one other program which also doesn't work and hasn't anything to do with
    > networking. This one, however, can be interrupted with CTRL-C.
    >
    > How can I find out why e.g. ftp.exe stops? Maybe it's looking for a file which is not present on the CD?

    Switch to another window, and do your testing from there. (To switch,
    you need to have a session manager installed; this alone may "fix"
    many problems.)

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  3. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Stefan Pelz schrieb:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm using a self-made Boot-CD for maintenance purposes. The CD boots to a command line (cmd.exe). This works fine
    > except that some executables, when started, block the system. I'm not sure wether the system freezes or just the executable,
    > because CTRL-C does not work anymore and the system has to be powered off.
    >
    > The problem seems to exist mostly with the programs from the TCPIP subdir, e.g. ftp.exe displays one line of text and then
    > stops. ping.exe works properly. But there is at least one other program which also doesn't work and hasn't anything to do with
    > networking. This one, however, can be interrupted with CTRL-C.
    >
    > How can I find out why e.g. ftp.exe stops? Maybe it's looking for a file which is not present on the CD?
    >
    > Thanks and regards
    > Stefan

    You can try os2trace.

    Hendrik

  4. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > Switch to another window, and do your testing from there. (To switch,
    > you need to have a session manager installed; this alone may "fix"
    > many problems.)

    How would I install a session manager? And how to switch between the
    sessions?

    Thanks and regards
    Stefan

  5. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Hi Stefan

    Stefan Pelz wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm using a self-made Boot-CD for maintenance purposes.

    Is that a Bootable created CD?
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/index.html

    A useful tool for creating a Bootable CD :-)

    The CD boots to a command line (cmd.exe). This works fine
    > except that some executables, when started, block the system. I'm not sure wether the system freezes or just the executable,
    > because CTRL-C does not work anymore and the system has to be powered off.
    >
    > The problem seems to exist mostly with the programs from the TCPIP subdir, e.g. ftp.exe displays one line of text and then
    > stops.

    Possibly some configuration error(s)...

    What does the line of text say?

    Regards

    Pete

    ping.exe works properly. But there is at least one other program which
    also doesn't work and hasn't anything to do with
    > networking. This one, however, can be interrupted with CTRL-C.
    >
    > How can I find out why e.g. ftp.exe stops? Maybe it's looking for a file which is not present on the CD?
    >
    > Thanks and regards
    > Stefan

  6. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Stefan Pelz
    ], who wrote in article :
    > How would I install a session manager?

    Read any doc on boot-cd/floppies for OS/2. bootos2 comes with one; it
    is just two tiny files to burn.

    > And how to switch between the sessions?

    start cmd
    start cmd
    start cmd
    start cmd

    You got 4 additional sessions. Now Alt-Esc (or C-Esc? Do not remember).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    P.S. I remember that TCPIP starts some daemon. Maybe it is missing
    on your system? Does "detach" works in your boot?

  7. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    >> How would I install a session manager?

    > Read any doc on boot-cd/floppies for OS/2. bootos2 comes with one; it
    > is just two tiny files to burn.

    Hmm, I only found some references to SESMGR.DLL and MSHELL. The later
    requires PM, but my Boot-CD is command-line only.
    Is there a command-line session manager?

    >> And how to switch between the sessions?

    > start cmd
    > start cmd
    > start cmd
    > start cmd
    >
    > You got 4 additional sessions. Now Alt-Esc (or C-Esc? Do not remember).

    "start cmd" just gives "SYS1059: program cannot be executed" (translated)

    > P.S. I remember that TCPIP starts some daemon. Maybe it is missing
    > on your system? Does "detach" works in your boot?

    LANMSGEX and CNTRL are running, ping is working.

    Regards
    Stefan

  8. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Is that a Bootable created CD?
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/index.html
    >
    > A useful tool for creating a Bootable CD :-)

    Yes and no. Initially I used tools like BootOS2 and bootAble, but now
    the CD is created by a self-made script. The script is based on the
    results of the tools.

    > What does the line of text say?

    It's the banner that ftp displays after start:
    "IBM TCP/IP für OS/2 - FTP-Client Ver 09:55:17 on Apr 16 1999"
    Afterwards it blocks.

  9. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Stefan Pelz
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > Read any doc on boot-cd/floppies for OS/2. bootos2 comes with one; it
    > > is just two tiny files to burn.

    > Hmm, I only found some references to SESMGR.DLL and MSHELL. The later
    > requires PM, but my Boot-CD is command-line only.
    > Is there a command-line session manager?

    As I said, bootos2 comes with one. Did not you read the docs?

    Minimal : This is a basic OS/2 system that supports one or more OS/2
    Full Screen sessions. All 16 and 32-bit OS/2 Full Screen
    applications are supported. The ability to switch between different
    Screen Sessions is supported by the supplied Protect Shell program,
    BOS2SHL. You can switch between Screen Sessions, both OS/2 and VDM,
    using the Alt-Esc key sequence.

    > >> And how to switch between the sessions?

    > > start cmd
    > > start cmd
    > > start cmd
    > > start cmd
    > >
    > > You got 4 additional sessions. Now Alt-Esc (or C-Esc? Do not remember).

    > "start cmd" just gives "SYS1059: program cannot be executed" (translated)

    It won't work without a session manager.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  10. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > As I said, bootos2 comes with one. Did not you read the docs?
    >
    > Minimal : This is a basic OS/2 system that supports one or more OS/2
    > Full Screen sessions. All 16 and 32-bit OS/2 Full Screen
    > applications are supported. The ability to switch between different
    > Screen Sessions is supported by the supplied Protect Shell program,
    > BOS2SHL. You can switch between Screen Sessions, both OS/2 and VDM,
    > using the Alt-Esc key sequence.

    Oops, that was too obvious :-)

    >>> start cmd
    >>> start cmd
    >>> start cmd
    >>> start cmd
    >>>
    >>> You got 4 additional sessions. Now Alt-Esc (or C-Esc? Do not remember).

    >> "start cmd" just gives "SYS1059: program cannot be executed" (translated)

    > It won't work without a session manager.

    Ok, that works now. Alt-Esc switches between sessions.
    However, the original problem is still present: ftp bocks :-(

    Regards
    Stefan

  11. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Hendrik Schmieder wrote:

    > You can try os2trace.

    Did that. I've filtered out all path names ftp uses (DosOpen,
    LoadModule, etc), see list below. Besides the language specific files,
    it loads some configuration files. I've copied all the files to the
    boot-CD and added the corresponding environment settings, but it still
    doesn't work.

    I'm going to try the reverse now: take a working setup in Virtual-PC and
    delete files from C: drive until ftp starts blocking ...

    Regards
    Stefan

    Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\\socks.cfg
    Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\socks.env
    Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.!!!
    Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.INI
    Filename = C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\ftp.cat
    Filename = C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
    Filename = C:\TCPIP\MSG\DEDE850\ftp.cat
    Module name = .\DE_DE.LCL
    Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\
    Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\.dll
    Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DE_DE.LCL
    Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DE_DE\IBM-850.LCL
    Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DEDE850
    Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DEDE850.dll
    Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\
    Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\.dll
    Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\DE_DE.LCL
    Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\DE_DE\IBM-850.LCL
    Module name = C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\tnls.dll
    Module name = C:\TCPIP\MSG\DEDE850\tnls.dll
    Module name = DE_DE\IBM-850.LCL
    Name = \SHAREMEM\BVS\BVS14
    Name = \SHAREMEM\DDE4@@@@.@1r
    Path = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.!!!
    Path = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.INI
    Path = C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\ftp.cat
    Path = C:\TCPIP\MSG\DEDE850\ftp.cat

  12. Re: Programs not woring from Boot-CD

    Stefan Pelz
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    >
    > > You can try os2trace.

    > Did that. I've filtered out all path names ftp uses (DosOpen,
    > LoadModule, etc), see list below.

    The LAST things it is doing, is not it telling? Watchcat may give
    some info about where it blocks; but it is usually not very telling...

    > I'm going to try the reverse now: take a working setup in Virtual-PC and
    > delete files from C: drive until ftp starts blocking ...

    There is a 1.7M disk image on Hobbes which claims working TCP/IP...

    > Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\\socks.cfg
    > Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\socks.env
    > Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.!!!
    > Filename = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.INI
    > Filename = C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\ftp.cat
    > Filename = C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
    > Filename = C:\TCPIP\MSG\DEDE850\ftp.cat
    > Module name = .\DE_DE.LCL
    > Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\
    > Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\.dll
    > Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DE_DE.LCL
    > Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DE_DE\IBM-850.LCL
    > Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DEDE850
    > Module name = C:\IBMI18N\LOCALE\DEDE850.dll
    > Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\
    > Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\.dll
    > Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\DE_DE.LCL
    > Module name = C:\LANGUAGE\LOCALE\DE_DE\IBM-850.LCL
    > Module name = C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\tnls.dll
    > Module name = C:\TCPIP\MSG\DEDE850\tnls.dll
    > Module name = DE_DE\IBM-850.LCL
    > Name = \SHAREMEM\BVS\BVS14
    > Name = \SHAREMEM\DDE4@@@@.@1r
    > Path = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.!!!
    > Path = C:\MPTN\ETC\TCPIP.INI
    > Path = C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\ftp.cat
    > Path = C:\TCPIP\MSG\DEDE850\ftp.cat

    No `services'? Maybe port name is hardwired, though...

    Yours,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread