floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy - OS2

This is a discussion on floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy - OS2 ; I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette. I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my ...

  1. floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette.
    I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any
    more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my current
    system (v4.5).
    When I boot now from this floppy, os/2 starts loading and then says
    "cannot operate hard disk or floppy" and stops.

    Any idea what it could be?

    JMS

    config.sys:

    IFS=CDFS.IFS /Q
    ifs=hpfs.ifs /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:16 /AUTOCHECKEFGH
    buffers=32
    iopl=yes
    memman=noswap
    protshell=sysinst1.exe
    set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    diskcache=64,LW
    protectonly=yes
    pauseonerror=no
    codepage=850
    country=049,country.sys
    devinfo=kbd,gr,keyboard.dcp
    set path=\;.;
    set dpath=\
    set keys=on
    libpath=.;a:\;
    basedev=print01.sys
    basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    basedev=ibmint13.i13
    basedev=os2dasd.dmd

  2. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    In article <07367458-a596-426b-aa25-3d245886a7ba@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>
    MfwEwkCtzVem@spammotel.com
    "=?KOI8-R?B?zcHS1MnOINvMwdTUxdI=?=" writes:

    > I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette.
    > I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any
    > more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my current
    > system (v4.5).
    > When I boot now from this floppy, os/2 starts loading and then says
    > "cannot operate hard disk or floppy" and stops.
    >
    > Any idea what it could be?

    Squiffed floppy? Magnetic recordings apparently can just go bad,
    usually over a period of several years. I have some old floppies
    from 10+ years ago which are still readable but they've been kept
    carefully. Floppies I use for other purposes, such as short term
    backups (yes, even today), I reformat at least once every five
    years or so (to ensure the magnetic markings between the data are
    also refreshed).

    If you ask another machine to read the disk (do dir/checksum/&c),
    does that work?
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  3. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    A thought ..

    мартин шлаттер wrote:
    > I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette.
    > I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any
    > more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my current
    > system (v4.5).
    > When I boot now from this floppy, os/2 starts loading and then says
    > "cannot operate hard disk or floppy" and stops.
    >
    > Any idea what it could be?
    >
    > JMS
    >

    > config.sys:
    >
    > IFS=CDFS.IFS /Q
    > ifs=hpfs.ifs /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:16 /AUTOCHECKEFGH
    > buffers=32
    > iopl=yes
    > memman=noswap
    > protshell=sysinst1.exe
    > set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    > diskcache=64,LW
    > protectonly=yes
    > pauseonerror=no
    > codepage=850
    > country=049,country.sys
    > devinfo=kbd,gr,keyboard.dcp
    > set path=\;.;
    > set dpath=\
    > set keys=on
    > libpath=.;a:\;
    > basedev=print01.sys
    > basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    > basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    > basedev=ibmint13.i13
    > basedev=os2dasd.dmd

    Isn't version 4.5 actually MCP level OS/2 code? In this case, isn't everything
    relative to the boot files oriented toward LVM partitions, which would not be
    at all in the same type of system which is an FDISK hard drive operations on
    your existing system?

    Which sure might wind up in inability to operate your hard disk as I recall.
    But maybe I'm wrong. Just trying to help here.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  4. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    > Isn't version 4.5 actually MCP level OS/2 code? In this case, isn't everything
    > relative to the boot files oriented toward LVM partitions, which would not be
    > at all in the same type of system which is an FDISK hard drive operations on
    > your existing system?

    That means?

  5. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    In short ..

    мартин шлаттер wrote:
    >> Isn't version 4.5 actually MCP level OS/2 code? In this case, isn't everything
    >> relative to the boot files oriented toward LVM partitions, which would not be
    >> at all in the same type of system which is an FDISK hard drive operations on
    >> your existing system?

    > That means?

    I'd guess you can't expect these files to be able to boot this hard disk of the
    older FDISK hard drive partioning. If this is what is involved, you might be
    able to substitute the OS/2 version 3, or maybe even the OS/2 Warp 4 such files
    and get this to work.

    There was a major issue involving even the conversion of even Warp 4 operating
    system hard disk operations from the FDISK type partitioning to the new Logical
    Volume Mount (LVM) type hard disk partitioning even on upgrade from Warp 4 to
    Merlin Convenience Pack level code. Per my understanding, and my actual
    experience, only the MCP1 (Merlin Convenience Pack 1) level code had a proper
    LVM conversion utility supplied by IBM to do this upgrade. Which did properly
    convert the entire hard drive partitions to the LVM style operations needed for
    MCP level code. As per my understanding .. when the upgrade time for MCP1 to
    MCP2 came about, you were very explicitly told by IBM that you should *NOT* use
    this level OS/2 to attempt a conversion from Warp 4 to MCP2 directly.

    Thus, in my case, I very carefully did the upgrade for the needed Warp 4
    machines first to MCP1, together with the absolutely required XRC01 Fix Pack
    for that, then migrated the entire operation and desktop a second time from
    MCP1 to MCP2 in that second upgrade. The entire operation was completely clean
    that way doing as IBM instructed me to do.

    Now .. contemplate what you are asking these level OS/2 drivers to do. For
    example, is your boot partition for OS/2 2.0 even an HPFS type partition?

    In your case it might be better to simply create the needed Warp 4.52 bootable
    partition, then mount your earlier OS/2 hard drive as a second drive to that
    booted system. You would then either re-install the applications from scratch
    and migrate the data. Or in some cases, you could, depending on the type of
    the applications needed, XCOPY the data to the new boot partition and so on.
    Thus saving your operations.

    As a side comment, this is one reason I was never able to work toward the
    original eCs install operation for my work. Per what actually developed with
    eCs at that time, there was simply no way to migrate what was needed from the
    massive Warp4 to eCs upgrade to their way of life with OS/2, without terrible
    risk to hard disk operations in the LVM conversion of hard drive operations
    that were very solidly acknowledged to be serious problems for Warp 4 users by
    even the eCs developmemt crew, as well as IBM's internal people. At that time.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  6. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:56:24 UTC, " "
    wrote:

    > I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette.
    > I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any
    > more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my current
    > system (v4.5).
    > When I boot now from this floppy, os/2 starts loading and then says
    > "cannot operate hard disk or floppy" and stops.
    >
    > Any idea what it could be?
    >
    > JMS
    >

    > config.sys:
    >
    > IFS=CDFS.IFS /Q
    > ifs=hpfs.ifs /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:16 /AUTOCHECKEFGH
    > buffers=32
    > iopl=yes
    > memman=noswap
    > protshell=sysinst1.exe
    > set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    > diskcache=64,LW
    > protectonly=yes
    > pauseonerror=no
    > codepage=850
    > country=049,country.sys
    > devinfo=kbd,gr,keyboard.dcp
    > set path=\;.;
    > set dpath=\
    > set keys=on
    > libpath=.;a:\;
    > basedev=print01.sys
    > basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    > basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    > basedev=ibmint13.i13
    > basedev=os2dasd.dmd

    Try going to the \os2\install\bootdisk directory and running "sysinstx
    ".

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net

  7. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    > Try going to the \os2\install\bootdisk directory and running "sysinstx
    > ".

    Of course I did that else my floppy would not start to boot.

  8. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    Have you tried updating the IDE and drivers on the floppy with the Dani
    drivers?
    You will have to update the config.sys file to match the new file names.

    Rich W.

    мартин шлаттер wrote:
    > I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette.
    > I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any
    > more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my current
    > system (v4.5).
    > When I boot now from this floppy, os/2 starts loading and then says
    > "cannot operate hard disk or floppy" and stops.
    >
    > Any idea what it could be?
    >
    > JMS
    >

    > config.sys:
    >
    > IFS=CDFS.IFS /Q
    > ifs=hpfs.ifs /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:16 /AUTOCHECKEFGH
    > buffers=32
    > iopl=yes
    > memman=noswap
    > protshell=sysinst1.exe
    > set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    > diskcache=64,LW
    > protectonly=yes
    > pauseonerror=no
    > codepage=850
    > country=049,country.sys
    > devinfo=kbd,gr,keyboard.dcp
    > set path=\;.;
    > set dpath=\
    > set keys=on
    > libpath=.;a:\;
    > basedev=print01.sys
    > basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    > basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    > basedev=ibmint13.i13
    > basedev=os2dasd.dmd

  9. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    > Have you tried updating the IDE and drivers on the floppy with the Dani
    > drivers?
    > You will have to update the config.sys file to match the new file names.

    Yes, did that.
    I think the problem is when os/2 switches from bios-access to his own
    disk access.
    JMS

  10. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    Another suggestion..

    мартин шлаттер wrote:
    >> Have you tried updating the IDE and drivers on the floppy with the Dani
    >> drivers?
    >> You will have to update the config.sys file to match the new file names.

    > Yes, did that.
    > I think the problem is when os/2 switches from bios-access to his own
    > disk access.
    > JMS

    You can put a small file named ALTF2ON.$$$ composed on only a couple of blank
    spaces in your first Utility Floppy Diskette. That will let you see the driver
    load process as well. It works with the floppy system or CD boot operation
    as well as with a hard drive to see this.

    That done, you may get a chance to see exactly what driver or process is
    causing this.

    I've seen this problem show up when creating the Utility Diskette package.
    Then going back and removing an unnecessary driver, plus the SNOOP list pointer
    to that driver in the CONFIG.SYS file for the floppy boot run has let me finish
    the boot run. My memory is that the CONFIG.SYS file is on the second of the
    boot diskettes, technically disk #1 as the #0 is the first disk.

    I've seen this show up only with SCSI boot disk creation and run issues lately.
    I've also seen that if you use the DANI driver(s), you can't use the latest
    1.8.1 version because of the name changes required to use DaniS506 and her
    DaniATAPI file! If my memory is correct, to keep this from happening, I had to
    use the last 1.1.7 version files which could retain the technique of using her
    DaniS506.ADD file and renaming it to IBM1S506.ADD and also using the IBM atapi
    file for real which cannot be done if you use the 1.8.1 version of her work.

    My memory says that if you actually have to use the 1.8.1 version of her
    DaniS506.ADD driver, you will have to delete the ATAPI stuff, as well as
    possibly worry about the OS2DASD file which can also be involved in this "OS2
    cannot operate you hard drive", or what ever the actual text is.

    I just went through this same deal on the floppy diskette creation deal withj
    the same thing two weeks ago! But I didn't keep notes about what I did. I do
    know that in my case if certain SCSI device drivers were in there which were
    not related to the boot run, and that includes more than the ADAPTEC driver
    which actually is to be used, I got that error.

    This is how I found it and stopped it.

    Just trying to help you.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  11. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    > My memory says that if you actually have to use the 1.8.1 version of her
    > DaniS506.ADD driver, you will have to delete the ATAPI stuff, as well as
    > possibly worry about the OS2DASD file which can also be involved in this "OS2
    > cannot operate you hard drive", or what ever the actual text is.

    Pressing ALTF2, it boots until os2dasd.dmd. I thing this is normal but
    I also think os2dasd.dmd is the guilty.

    > I just went through this same deal on the floppy diskette creation deal withj
    > the same thing two weeks ago! But I didn't keep notes about what I did. I do
    > know that in my case if certain SCSI device drivers were in there which were
    > not related to the boot run, and that includes more than the ADAPTEC driver
    > which actually is to be used, I got that error.

    Have no SCSI!

    Thanks Mike!

    JMS

  12. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    This is why I thought the Dani drivers would help.
    I added them to a UPDCD build and I can install from a updated DVD disk
    to any box I have at the moment.

    Rich W.

    йенс мартин шлаттер wrote:
    >> My memory says that if you actually have to use the 1.8.1 version of her
    >> DaniS506.ADD driver, you will have to delete the ATAPI stuff, as well as
    >> possibly worry about the OS2DASD file which can also be involved in this "OS2
    >> cannot operate you hard drive", or what ever the actual text is.

    > Pressing ALTF2, it boots until os2dasd.dmd. I thing this is normal but
    > I also think os2dasd.dmd is the guilty.
    >
    >> I just went through this same deal on the floppy diskette creation deal withj
    >> the same thing two weeks ago! But I didn't keep notes about what I did. I do
    >> know that in my case if certain SCSI device drivers were in there which were
    >> not related to the boot run, and that includes more than the ADAPTEC driver
    >> which actually is to be used, I got that error.

    > Have no SCSI!
    >
    > Thanks Mike!
    >
    > JMS

  13. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    Thanks Rich ..

    Rich Wonneberger wrote:

    > This is why I thought the Dani drivers would help.
    > I added them to a UPDCD build and I can install from a updated DVD disk
    > to any box I have at the moment.

    If you were to try this with the floppy diskettes, are you saying you can use
    the Dani 1.8.1 level code as well as the DaniATPI code on them too? And in
    doing that you actually name the driver on the floppy to DaniS506.add and the
    substitution for the IBM atap to DaniATAPI.FLT, as well?

    Just trying to learn here Rich and thank you!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  14. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    Hi

    мартин шлаттер wrote:
    > I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette.
    > I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any
    > more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my current
    > system (v4.5).
    > When I boot now from this floppy, os/2 starts loading and then says
    > "cannot operate hard disk or floppy" and stops.
    >
    > Any idea what it could be?
    >
    > JMS
    >

    > config.sys:
    >
    > IFS=CDFS.IFS /Q
    > ifs=hpfs.ifs /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:16 /AUTOCHECKEFGH
    > buffers=32
    > iopl=yes
    > memman=noswap
    > protshell=sysinst1.exe
    > set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    > diskcache=64,LW
    > protectonly=yes
    > pauseonerror=no
    > codepage=850
    > country=049,country.sys
    > devinfo=kbd,gr,keyboard.dcp
    > set path=\;.;
    > set dpath=\
    > set keys=on
    > libpath=.;a:\;
    > basedev=print01.sys
    > basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    > basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    > basedev=ibmint13.i13
    > basedev=os2dasd.dmd

    Don't you need IDE and/or SCSI drivers plus floppy driver to be able to
    access drives?

    Regards

    Pete

  15. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    Hi

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > мартин шлаттер wrote:
    >> I had an old 2.8 mB os/2 v3 boot diskette.
    >> I did not use it for a while and now I found that it did not boot any
    >> more (hanging) so I replaced all files with the ones from my current
    >> system (v4.5).
    >> When I boot now from this floppy, os/2 starts loading and then says
    >> "cannot operate hard disk or floppy" and stops.
    >>
    >> Any idea what it could be?
    >>
    >> JMS
    >>

    >> config.sys:
    >>
    >> IFS=CDFS.IFS /Q
    >> ifs=hpfs.ifs /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:16 /AUTOCHECKEFGH
    >> buffers=32
    >> iopl=yes
    >> memman=noswap
    >> protshell=sysinst1.exe
    >> set os2_shell=cmd.exe
    >> diskcache=64,LW
    >> protectonly=yes
    >> pauseonerror=no
    >> codepage=850
    >> country=049,country.sys
    >> devinfo=kbd,gr,keyboard.dcp
    >> set path=\;.;
    >> set dpath=\
    >> set keys=on
    >> libpath=.;a:\;
    >> basedev=print01.sys
    >> basedev=ibmkbd.sys
    >> basedev=ibm1flpy.add
    >> basedev=ibmint13.i13
    >> basedev=os2dasd.dmd

    > Don't you need IDE and/or SCSI drivers plus floppy driver to be able to
    > access drives?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Doh!

    Now I notice the ibm1flpy.add line...

    Are you trying to boot a W3 or W4 or W4.5x system from this disk? Just
    wondering if some of the drivers are wrong for the system involved...

    Regards

    Pete

  16. Re: floppy boot: cannot operate hard disk or floppy

    Mike,

    Yes. I use to do it with Warp 4.
    Its been a while since I did the floppy install.
    I had to delete a few drivers I did not need to make room.
    I think I edited the snoop file as well to comment out the DAC960
    drivers and the 2 or 3 SCSI drivers I did not use. Then delete the
    matching drivers off the floppy.
    You then add the DANI drivers for the IDE and Atapi (iIrr)
    See my snoop.lst file below for what I comment out.
    Comment them out in config.sys as well.
    The dani files can be had from hobbes.nmsu.edu (http)
    They have the instructions how to update the files. Its so easy I even
    figured it out.

    With eCS (what I am using serveral years) I install from updated CD's
    that have the latest drivers installed, not only for the IDE drives, but
    also TCP/IP, MPTS, Java, Netscape 4.61, fix park 5 and such.
    It can even add some add on packages, but you have to create a DVD
    install disk if you add to much.

    Hope this helps
    Rich W.

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Thanks Rich ..
    >
    > Rich Wonneberger wrote:
    >
    >> This is why I thought the Dani drivers would help.
    >> I added them to a UPDCD build and I can install from a updated DVD
    >> disk to any box I have at the moment.

    > If you were to try this with the floppy diskettes, are you saying you
    > can use the Dani 1.8.1 level code as well as the DaniATPI code on them
    > too? And in doing that you actually name the driver on the floppy to
    > DaniS506.add and the substitution for the IBM atap to DaniATAPI.FLT, as
    > well?
    >
    > Just trying to learn here Rich and thank you!

    resrv.snp
    ibmkbd.snp
    ibm1flpy.snp
    ibm1s506.snp
    ; SCSI Snoopers
    aha6360.snp
    ;aha154x.snp
    ;aha174x.snp
    aic7870.snp
    ;ql10os2.snp
    ;ql40os2.snp
    ;ql510.snp
    ipsraid.snp
    ;btscsi.snp
    ;fd16-700.snp
    ;fd8xx.snp
    ;fd7000ex.snp
    ;flashpt.snp
    ;dac960.snp
    ; Misc. Snoopers
    pcmcia.snp
    ;ir.snp
    ; CDROM Snoopers
    ;mitfx001.snp
    ;sbcd2.snp
    ;sony31a.snp
    ; Audio Snoopers
    ;sndgalax.snp
    ;auddrive.snp
    ;jazz16.snp
    ;sndblast.snp
    ;pas16.snp
    ;bsaudio.snp
    ; Misc. Snoopers
    parallel.snp
    mouse.snp
    serial.snp
    ; Note: Place additional snoopers above this line
    pcibus.snp

+ Reply to Thread