os/2 + winXP - OS2

This is a discussion on os/2 + winXP - OS2 ; Hello, I am trying to get windows XP and os/2 to both boot from the Boot Manager, obviously without success. Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not create, so there is the winxp primary partition. It boots ...

  1. os/2 + winXP

    Hello,
    I am trying to get windows XP and os/2 to both boot from the Boot
    Manager, obviously without success.
    Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not create, so
    there is the winxp primary partition. It boots directly when the BIOS is
    set to look for that drive first in its boot sequence.
    Even though the volume is in the boot manager's list, it does not start.
    Is there a trick to getting that to happen.
    Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  2. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On 11/22/07 01:08 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to get windows XP and os/2 to both boot from the Boot
    > Manager, obviously without success.
    > Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not create, so
    > there is the winxp primary partition. It boots directly when the BIOS is
    > set to look for that drive first in its boot sequence.
    > Even though the volume is in the boot manager's list, it does not start.
    > Is there a trick to getting that to happen.
    > Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    > selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.

    I think XP needs to have its boot files (ntldr) on C:. I know I don't
    have any problems with win98 on C: and 2K on j: but have to go through
    C: to boot 2k with bootmanager
    Dave

  3. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:08:31 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    > selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.

    Grab DFSee and see what it tells you. I had something like this and I think it
    was a non-Int13X capable MBR that XP had placed there trying to boot an Int13X
    aware boot manager.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. os/2 + winXP

    JM> Even though the volume is in the boot manager's list, it does
    not start.

    http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoy...ot-and-system-
    volumes.html#WindowsNT>

    You are very probably trying to have Boot Manager boot Windows NT
    5.1's system volume. You should be booting its boot volume.

  5. Re: os/2 + winXP

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to get windows XP and os/2 to both boot from the Boot
    > Manager, obviously without success.
    > Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not create, so
    > there is the winxp primary partition. It boots directly when the BIOS is
    > set to look for that drive first in its boot sequence.
    > Even though the volume is in the boot manager's list, it does not start.
    > Is there a trick to getting that to happen.
    > Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    > selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.

    The Windows XP install (or recovery) will delete the OS/2 boot manager
    so you have to do it this way:

    1) Divide the hard disk into two volumes, the first or 'front' one for
    XP and the second one for OS/2. Install OS/2 in the second volume with
    a temporary install.

    2) Delete the first volume so it will be 'free space'.

    3) Run the XP installer and install XP in the free space that you
    created. It will not delete your OS/2 volume, although it might ask to
    'fix' things on it. It doesn't matter if it does or not.

    4) Delete the OS/2 volume and recreate two new volumes in its place.
    The first will be a tiny volume (as small as LVM will let you create)
    that will be for the boot manager. The second will be your new
    permanent OS/2 volume.

    5) Install OS/2 on its new volume and also install boot manager into the
    boot manager volume.

    6) Use LVM to make boot manager 'startable' and add OS/2 and XP to the
    boot manager menu. The computer should boot to the boot manager menu
    and you will then be able to boot either XP or OS/2 depending on your
    preference.

    Notes: It might be handy to also create a small volume formatted as FAT
    or FAT32 that both XP and OS/2 can read and write to.

    When you run XP, it will find the OS/2 volumes formatted with HPFS and
    JFS but will not be able to read them. If you click on those drive
    icons in XP, Windows XP will ask you if you want to reformat them.
    Don't do that.

    Your XP and OS/2 will now happily coexist ever after, although XP will
    be unhappy if you don't boot it occasionally and let it send stuff to
    Microsoft over the internet.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  6. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On 11/22/07 03:51 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    >> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.

    > Grab DFSee and see what it tells you. I had something like this and I think it
    > was a non-Int13X capable MBR that XP had placed there trying to boot an Int13X
    > aware boot manager.

    Okay, did that. I replaced the MBR with DFSee generic. DFSee says the
    partition is INT13. Still does not boot from Boot Manager.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  7. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On 11/22/07 02:37 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
    >> Even though the volume is in the boot manager's list, it does not start.
    >> Is there a trick to getting that to happen.
    >> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    >> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.
    >>

    > I think XP needs to have its boot files (ntldr) on C:. I know I don't
    > have any problems with win98 on C: and 2K on j: but have to go through
    > C: to boot 2k with bootmanager

    That is pretty much how it is set up. (Getting winxp to install on
    anything besides partition 0 of disk 0 of adapter 0 requires unplugging
    most of the drives.)
    Or do you mean that LVM must see that drive as the C: drive as well?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  8. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On 11/23/07 09:34 am, David T. Johnson wrote:
    >> Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not create, so
    >> there is the winxp primary partition. It boots directly when the BIOS is
    >> set to look for that drive first in its boot sequence.
    >> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    >> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.

    More information:
    disk 1: IDE (PATA)
    - BM
    - part 1: hpfs backup
    - part 2: ntfs backup

    disk 2: scsi ID 00
    - part 1: primary (ntfs) for winxp system
    - part 2: logical (ntfs) for winxp programs
    - part 3: free space

    disk 2: scsi ID 01
    - part 1: hpfs programs
    - part 2: hpfs data

    > The Windows XP install (or recovery) will delete the OS/2 boot manager
    > so you have to do it this way:
    >
    > 1) Divide the hard disk into two volumes, the first or 'front' one for
    > XP and the second one for OS/2. Install OS/2 in the second volume with
    > a temporary install.
    >
    > 2) Delete the first volume so it will be 'free space'.
    >
    > 3) Run the XP installer and install XP in the free space that you
    > created. It will not delete your OS/2 volume, although it might ask to
    > 'fix' things on it. It doesn't matter if it does or not.

    Up to this point my setup is the same.
    Where it differs after this is that Boot Manager is on a different disk
    drive.
    Other than that I have proceeded as you suggested. (And I am desperately
    not wanting to install winxp for the 6th time this week.)

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  9. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:42:47 UTC, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > On 11/23/07 09:34 am, David T. Johnson wrote:
    > >> Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not create, so
    > >> there is the winxp primary partition. It boots directly when the BIOS is
    > >> set to look for that drive first in its boot sequence.
    > >> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    > >> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.
    > >>

    > More information:
    > disk 1: IDE (PATA)
    > - BM
    > - part 1: hpfs backup
    > - part 2: ntfs backup

    --snip--

    FWIW, with my newest replacement HDD on IDE0, I used DFSee to create 3
    primary partitions:

    BM
    FAT32, pri, XP boot/operating
    HPFS, ecs boot/system

    then deleted the BM partition so BM could be installed concurrently with
    the installation of the ecs system partition, which was the next step. I
    used DFSee to format the xp partition to FAT32 and installed xp to it.
    Installing xp disables BM so it has to be re-enabled, which is very
    easily done with DFSee (set BM "bootable" and xp/ecs partitions
    "startable").

    There are various other data partitions on IDE0 and IDE1 using HPFS and
    JFS and with one very large FAT32 common data partition, which I use to
    enable LFN reading and writing between ecs and xp. Xp wound up being
    installed several months after ecs.

    HTH,
    Pete

    --

  10. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On 11/23/07 06:34 pm, Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 11/22/07 02:37 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
    >>> Even though the volume is in the boot manager's list, it does not start.
    >>> Is there a trick to getting that to happen.
    >>> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    >>> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.
    >>>

    >> I think XP needs to have its boot files (ntldr) on C:. I know I don't
    >> have any problems with win98 on C: and 2K on j: but have to go through
    >> C: to boot 2k with bootmanager
    >>

    > That is pretty much how it is set up. (Getting winxp to install on
    > anything besides partition 0 of disk 0 of adapter 0 requires unplugging
    > most of the drives.)
    > Or do you mean that LVM must see that drive as the C: drive as well?

    No, I don't think that LVM would matter though C: is C: after adding LVM
    here. Bootmanager is actually the first partition here with C: being the
    second primary.
    Win2K (service pack #1) was actually pretty good about BM, actually
    mentioning that it was deactivated and giving directions for how to
    reenable it. Much better than win9x which alway announced that OS/2
    could never be used after install
    Dave

  11. Re: os/2 + winXP

    Sir:

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 11/22/07 03:51 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >>> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    >>> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.

    >> Grab DFSee and see what it tells you. I had something like this and I think it
    >> was a non-Int13X capable MBR that XP had placed there trying to boot an Int13X
    >> aware boot manager.
    >>

    > Okay, did that. I replaced the MBR with DFSee generic. DFSee says the
    > partition is INT13. Still does not boot from Boot Manager.

    It needs to be INT13X aware MBR. That just means that it has INT13X
    mark in an otherwise unused space in the MBR. From an OS/2 command
    prompt enter LVM/NEWMBR:1. That should fix this.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:05:58 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Jim Moe wrote:
    > >> Grab DFSee and see what it tells you. I had something like this and I think it
    > >> was a non-Int13X capable MBR that XP had placed there trying to boot an Int13X
    > >> aware boot manager.
    > >>

    > > Okay, did that. I replaced the MBR with DFSee generic. DFSee says the
    > > partition is INT13. Still does not boot from Boot Manager.
    > >

    > It needs to be INT13X aware MBR. That just means that it has INT13X
    > mark in an otherwise unused space in the MBR.

    Actually, no. An INT13X aware (sic) MBR has to have:

    1) Code to use the extended INT 13H calls, if they are supported by the
    BIOS.
    2) Code to LEAVE the string 'I13X' at a particular address in memory
    (not in the MBR area).
    --
    Bob Eager

  13. Re: os/2 + winXP

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 11/23/07 09:34 am, David T. Johnson wrote:
    >>> Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not create, so
    >>> there is the winxp primary partition. It boots directly when the BIOS is
    >>> set to look for that drive first in its boot sequence.
    >>> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    >>> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.
    >>>

    > More information:
    > disk 1: IDE (PATA)
    > - BM
    > - part 1: hpfs backup
    > - part 2: ntfs backup
    >
    > disk 2: scsi ID 00
    > - part 1: primary (ntfs) for winxp system
    > - part 2: logical (ntfs) for winxp programs
    > - part 3: free space
    >
    > disk 2: scsi ID 01
    > - part 1: hpfs programs
    > - part 2: hpfs data
    >
    >> The Windows XP install (or recovery) will delete the OS/2 boot manager
    >> so you have to do it this way:
    >>
    >> 1) Divide the hard disk into two volumes, the first or 'front' one for
    >> XP and the second one for OS/2. Install OS/2 in the second volume with
    >> a temporary install.
    >>
    >> 2) Delete the first volume so it will be 'free space'.
    >>
    >> 3) Run the XP installer and install XP in the free space that you
    >> created. It will not delete your OS/2 volume, although it might ask to
    >> 'fix' things on it. It doesn't matter if it does or not.
    >>

    > Up to this point my setup is the same.
    > Where it differs after this is that Boot Manager is on a different disk
    > drive.
    > Other than that I have proceeded as you suggested. (And I am desperately
    > not wanting to install winxp for the 6th time this week.)

    The boot manager has to be on the hard disk that the bios will try to
    boot from first, whichever one that is in your bios 'boot' settings
    menu. If that's disk 1 then you should be good to go but if it's disk
    2 or 3 then you'll have to go into the bios settings and change the
    booting device order. Once the boot manager loads, then it has to be
    able to see the disk 2 partition 1 with xp so you will need a working
    os/2 driver for the scsi controller and lvm will have to recognize the
    xp d2p1 volume and have it added to the boot manager menu. Otherwise,
    you shouldn't have any problems.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  14. Re: os/2 + winXP

    Sir"

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Jim Moe wrote:
    >>>>

    >> More information:
    >> disk 1: IDE (PATA)
    >> - BM
    >> - part 1: hpfs backup
    >> - part 2: ntfs backup
    >>
    >> disk 2: scsi ID 00
    >> - part 1: primary (ntfs) for winxp system
    >> - part 2: logical (ntfs) for winxp programs
    >> - part 3: free space
    >>
    >> disk 2: scsi ID 01
    >> - part 1: hpfs programs
    >> - part 2: hpfs data
    >>
    >>> The Windows XP install (or recovery) will delete the OS/2 boot
    >>> manager so you have to do it this way:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Divide the hard disk into two volumes, the first or 'front' one
    >>> for XP and the second one for OS/2. Install OS/2 in the second
    >>> volume with a temporary install.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Delete the first volume so it will be 'free space'.
    >>>
    >>> 3) Run the XP installer and install XP in the free space that you
    >>> created. It will not delete your OS/2 volume, although it might ask
    >>> to 'fix' things on it. It doesn't matter if it does or not.
    >>>

    >> Up to this point my setup is the same.
    >> Where it differs after this is that Boot Manager is on a different disk
    >> drive.
    >> Other than that I have proceeded as you suggested. (And I am
    >> desperately
    >> not wanting to install winxp for the 6th time this week.)
    >>

    > The boot manager has to be on the hard disk that the bios will try to
    > boot from first, whichever one that is in your bios 'boot' settings
    > menu. If that's disk 1 then you should be good to go but if it's disk
    > 2 or 3 then you'll have to go into the bios settings and change the
    > booting device order. Once the boot manager loads, then it has to be
    > able to see the disk 2 partition 1 with xp so you will need a working
    > os/2 driver for the scsi controller and lvm will have to recognize the
    > xp d2p1 volume and have it added to the boot manager menu. Otherwise,
    > you shouldn't have any problems.

    Not totally right. Boot Manager can be on the first primary or last
    primary partition of either of the first two hard drives (which ever
    disks are defined first two in BIOS). It only has to be marked
    Startable for BIOS to start it. Note that if it is in the last
    partition on modern disk drives, it could be beyond the (whatever it was
    cylinder count) BIOS INT 13 limit, thus needing the INT 13X capability.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  15. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 05:25:31 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Not totally right. Boot Manager can be on the first primary or last
    > primary partition of either of the first two hard drives

    No, it can be in any partition (as long as it's a primary, which is all
    it'll install to anyway). I frequently use the second partition on the
    first drive.

    --
    Bob Eager

  16. Re: os/2 + winXP

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Jim Moe wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I am trying to get windows XP and os/2 to both boot from the Boot
    >> Manager, obviously without success.
    >> Winxp refused to install into any volume/partition it did not
    >> create, so
    >> there is the winxp primary partition. It boots directly when the BIOS is
    >> set to look for that drive first in its boot sequence.
    >> Even though the volume is in the boot manager's list, it does not
    >> start.
    >> Is there a trick to getting that to happen.
    >> Then the BIOS is set to check the drive with Boot Manager and winxp is
    >> selected, all I get is a blinking cursor, nothing else. os/2 boots ok.
    >>

    > The Windows XP install (or recovery) will delete the OS/2 boot manager
    > so you have to do it this way:
    >
    > 1) Divide the hard disk into two volumes, the first or 'front' one for
    > XP and the second one for OS/2. Install OS/2 in the second volume with
    > a temporary install.
    >
    > 2) Delete the first volume so it will be 'free space'.
    >
    > 3) Run the XP installer and install XP in the free space that you
    > created. It will not delete your OS/2 volume, although it might ask to
    > 'fix' things on it. It doesn't matter if it does or not.
    >
    > 4) Delete the OS/2 volume and recreate two new volumes in its place. The
    > first will be a tiny volume (as small as LVM will let you create) that
    > will be for the boot manager. The second will be your new permanent
    > OS/2 volume.
    >
    > 5) Install OS/2 on its new volume and also install boot manager into the
    > boot manager volume.
    >
    > 6) Use LVM to make boot manager 'startable' and add OS/2 and XP to the
    > boot manager menu. The computer should boot to the boot manager menu
    > and you will then be able to boot either XP or OS/2 depending on your
    > preference.
    >
    > Notes: It might be handy to also create a small volume formatted as FAT
    > or FAT32 that both XP and OS/2 can read and write to.

    One good way of doing it.
    The important thing is to leave sufficient empty disk space for XP to
    create its own partitions. BTW I always install Windows as last OS
    (after a.o., OS/2 - ECS & Linux). Motivation is below.
    I've noted that XP often left some MBs empty space; I suspect it has
    something to do with disk sector translation (by the HD) and incomplete
    last cylinders.

    XP's installation sticks to the tradition of disabling OS/2 (ECS) boot
    mgr. It took me a while before I found out how to use XP's disk manager
    to make the BM the "active" partition again, rather than XP's system
    partition. Quite concealed - it's easier to rerun ECS installation to a
    CLI and then use (mini) LVM to adjust things.

    OK, now some info for those who can't avoid Windows, to make it a bit
    more manageable for other OS-es (especially ECS & OS/2):

    > When you run XP, it will find the OS/2 volumes formatted with HPFS and
    > JFS but will not be able to read them. If you click on those drive
    > icons in XP, Windows XP will ask you if you want to reformat them. Don't
    > do that.

    Even better, after you have finished all partitioning stuff, in XP do
    Start(menu) - Run and enter diskmgmt.msc, wait until it has listed all
    partitions (takes a while) and then DELETE the drive LETTERS of the OS/2
    partitions (not the partitions themselves, of course).
    After you've done this it will never again ask to format your OS/2 or
    ECS stuff. Unless..... unless you change the partitioning scheme (add,
    remove) behind XP's back; then you must use diskmgmt.msc to fix things
    again for Windows point of view.

    > Your XP and OS/2 will now happily coexist ever after, although XP will
    > be unhappy if you don't boot it occasionally and let it send stuff to
    > Microsoft over the internet.

    That can be fixed very easily:
    Start(menu) - Run: services.msc; then Stop & Disable "Automatic
    Updates". While you're there and if you care a bit, disable other
    unneeded services too (http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services).
    Use www.windizupdate.com for patching your XP; then you need not worry
    about M$ searching your HD.

    Philip

  17. Re: os/2 + winXP

    On Nov 24, 2:29 am, Jim Moe wrote:
    > On 11/22/07 03:51 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    > Still does not boot from Boot Manager.
    >
    > --
    > jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    > (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Have you tried Airboot?
    Installs in MBR and works in my book very well.
    Rgds,
    Mats

+ Reply to Thread