Best development tools for Warp 3 and Warp 4 - OS2

This is a discussion on Best development tools for Warp 3 and Warp 4 - OS2 ; On 11/25/07 01:15 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote: > Sir: > > Dave Yeo wrote: >> On 11/24/07 04:17 pm, Peter Flass wrote: >>> PolBit wrote: >>>> On Nov 21, 9:54 am, Dave Yeo wrote: >>>> >>>>> On 11/21/07 07:13 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Best development tools for Warp 3 and Warp 4

    On 11/25/07 01:15 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Dave Yeo wrote:

    >>> You could also try emx. This isn't (AFAIK) c++ , but C only, and
    >>> supports all OS/w versions back to 2.0. GCC is also available.
    >>>

    >> EMX supports C++ and even object C. GCC is part of EMX though it is an
    >> old version. Klibc is basically a fork of EMX with GPL parts replaced
    >> and quite a few updates
    >> Dave
    >>

    > I was under the impression that the latest GCC was free of EMX. If so,
    > why add back another version of it? I was under the impression that it
    > just rewrote the paths for those ports whose authors failed to rewrite
    > common Unixisms (which ones?). Why did I install it?

    Depends on what you mean by EMX. klibc has no dependencies on emx.dll
    etc. If you look at the headers you have things like os2emx.h and
    include/emx. Lots of other references in the headers as well.
    Also if you look in bin you see things like emxbind, emximp, emxexp,
    etc. Most of these are copyright like eg
    I:\usr\bin>emxaout.exe
    emxaout 0.6.3 (Bird Build 2007-06-11 22:22) -- Copyright (c) 1994-1996
    by Eberhard Mattes
    Also klibc defines __EMX__
    You probably installed EMX due to so many programs depending on emx.dll
    and it is still needed to build some things, mostly due to a better
    select(). XFree86 apps are the best example
    Dave

  2. Re: Best development tools for Warp 3 and Warp 4

    In , on 11/25/2007
    at 02:23 PM, Marty said:

    Hi,

    >How does URE compare with Borland's Resource Workshop?

    It does a lot more, but it has a few nits. I suggest you try it and see
    how you like it. It's on Hobbes. My only real complaint with URE is that
    it does not do group alignment intuitively. It generates rather ugly rc
    files too, but that could be resolved with some REXX to post process the
    generated files.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 09pre #10183

  3. Re: Best development tools for Warp 3 and Warp 4

    Steven Levine schrieb:
    > In , on 11/25/2007
    > at 02:23 PM, Marty said:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >> How does URE compare with Borland's Resource Workshop?

    > It does a lot more, but it has a few nits. I suggest you try it and see
    > how you like it. It's on Hobbes. My only real complaint with URE is that
    > it does not do group alignment intuitively. It generates rather ugly rc
    > files too, but that could be resolved with some REXX to post process the
    > generated files.
    >
    > Steven

    .... as long as it does not create RC/DLG files with -1 instead of
    0xFFFF/65535 for IDs as the stone old IBM dialog editor does.
    Those RC/DLG files will fail with the 32-bit versions of RC.EXE as it
    (correctly) only accepts positive numbers for IDs.

    Lars

  4. Re: Best development tools for Warp 3 and Warp 4

    In <474f13a2$0$27127$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net>, on 11/29/2007
    at 08:31 PM, Lars Erdmann said:

    Hi,
    >.... as long as it does not create RC/DLG files with -1 instead of
    >0xFFFF/65535 for IDs as the stone old IBM dialog editor does. Those
    >RC/DLG files will fail with the 32-bit versions of RC.EXE as it
    >(correctly) only accepts positive numbers for IDs.

    I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that. What is does do is output CONTROL
    statements for everthing. If I used URE more often, I'd write some REXX
    code to convert the CONTROL statements to something more readable. The
    generated output could also use some line wrapping.