ATI 9200 graphics card - OS2

This is a discussion on ATI 9200 graphics card - OS2 ; Earlier this year, I purchased an ATI 9200 graphics card. My computer-fixing friend installed it for me. All looked well as the boot progressed (eCS 1.2R), but, once the boot was completed, the mouse (Kensington Expert Mouse trackball) didn't function ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: ATI 9200 graphics card

  1. ATI 9200 graphics card

    Earlier this year, I purchased an ATI 9200 graphics card. My
    computer-fixing friend installed it for me. All looked well as the boot
    progressed (eCS 1.2R), but, once the boot was completed, the mouse
    (Kensington Expert Mouse trackball) didn't function (the pointer didn't
    move.) The combo did work in Win98SE (since replaced by XP.) So, I went
    back to my Matrox G450, as eCS is my primary OS.

    Unfortunately, it has gotten to the point where I need more than 64 mg of
    video RAM, as there are some games I'd like to try in XP and Ubuntu that
    need more video RAM. Could there be some bios settings I could change
    that would enable the ATI and the trackball to work together in eCS?

    On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?

    Thanks,


    Alan

    --

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

    BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------


  2. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > Earlier this year, I purchased an ATI 9200 graphics card. My
    > computer-fixing friend installed it for me. All looked well as the boot
    > progressed (eCS 1.2R), but, once the boot was completed, the mouse
    > (Kensington Expert Mouse trackball) didn't function (the pointer didn't
    > move.) The combo did work in Win98SE (since replaced by XP.) So, I went
    > back to my Matrox G450, as eCS is my primary OS.
    >
    > Unfortunately, it has gotten to the point where I need more than 64 mg of
    > video RAM, as there are some games I'd like to try in XP and Ubuntu that
    > need more video RAM. Could there be some bios settings I could change
    > that would enable the ATI and the trackball to work together in eCS?
    >
    > On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    > trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    > have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    > replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    > jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    > friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    >
    > Alan
    >


    Alan,

    Is the BIOS on the mother board up to date?
    What does the manual for the board say it can hold?

    Rich W.

  3. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:13:17 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > Earlier this year, I purchased an ATI 9200 graphics card. My
    > computer-fixing friend installed it for me. All looked well as the boot
    > progressed (eCS 1.2R), but, once the boot was completed, the mouse
    > (Kensington Expert Mouse trackball) didn't function (the pointer didn't
    > move.) The combo did work in Win98SE (since replaced by XP.) So, I went
    > back to my Matrox G450, as eCS is my primary OS.


    Try installing amouse instead of the IBM mouse driver. It's worked on more than
    one machine for me where the IBM driver has failed in some way.

    > On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    > trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    > have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    > replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    > jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    > friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?


    Did you get the right RAM for the board? If you're adding to the existing stock
    rather than replacing then you haev to get the same type of memory as it
    currently uses - e.g. all ECC or all non-ECC. I find Crucial pretty good -
    especially if you select your motherboard from their selector as they guarantee
    it'll work or they'll replace it. They're currently listing 512MB sticks for
    your board in either PC2700 or PC3200 for US$29.99 each

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    In , on 11/16/07
    at 08:26 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    said:

    >> Earlier this year, I purchased an ATI 9200 graphics card. My
    >> computer-fixing friend installed it for me. All looked well as the boot
    >> progressed (eCS 1.2R), but, once the boot was completed, the mouse
    >> (Kensington Expert Mouse trackball) didn't function (the pointer didn't
    >> move.) The combo did work in Win98SE (since replaced by XP.) So, I went
    >> back to my Matrox G450, as eCS is my primary OS.


    >Try installing amouse instead of the IBM mouse driver. It's worked on
    >more than one machine for me where the IBM driver has failed in some
    >way.


    Amous doesn't handle the four buttons of my trackball, and I need to be
    able to program the upper two.

    >> On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    >> trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    >> have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    >> replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    >> jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    >> friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?


    >Did you get the right RAM for the board? If you're adding to the existing
    >stock rather than replacing then you haev to get the same type of memory
    >as it currently uses - e.g. all ECC or all non-ECC. I find Crucial
    >pretty good - especially if you select your motherboard from their
    >selector as they guarantee it'll work or they'll replace it. They're
    >currently listing 512MB sticks for your board in either PC2700 or PC3200
    >for US$29.99 each


    Yes, I did have the correct RAM. But I'll take a look at Crucial.

    Thanks,



    Alan

    --

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

    BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------


  5. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 01:13:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > Amous doesn't handle the four buttons of my trackball, and I need to be
    > able to program the upper two.


    Odd, it lists configuration options here for up to 10 buttons.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  6. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    nobody@junk.min.net schrieb:

    > On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    > trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    > have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    > replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    > jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    > friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?


    Here is an ABit KX7-333 which works with 1 GB (2x 512 PC2700) and eCS
    1.2R very well.

    Kind regards,
    Herwig

  7. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
    > nobody@junk.min.net schrieb:
    >
    >> On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    >> trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    >> have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    >> replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    >> jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    >> friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?

    >
    > Here is an ABit KX7-333 which works with 1 GB (2x 512 PC2700) and eCS
    > 1.2R very well.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Herwig


    I just had a strange problem with RAM the last couple days. I have a
    dual 2.8 Xeon ZPro that had 4 256Meg DDR 2100 sticks. I was dropping in
    4 512Meg PNY DDR 3200 sticks. I had to manually set the timing values
    manually in BIOS. Before I did this Linux did not start and eCS didn't
    run correctly. But hey, WinXP showed no sign of a problem.

    Mike

  8. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    Sir:

    Michael Greene wrote:
    > Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
    >> nobody@junk.min.net schrieb:
    >>
    >>> On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    >>> trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    >>> have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    >>> replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    >>> jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    >>> friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?

    >> Here is an ABit KX7-333 which works with 1 GB (2x 512 PC2700) and eCS
    >> 1.2R very well.
    >>
    >> Kind regards,
    >> Herwig

    >
    > I just had a strange problem with RAM the last couple days. I have a
    > dual 2.8 Xeon ZPro that had 4 256Meg DDR 2100 sticks. I was dropping in
    > 4 512Meg PNY DDR 3200 sticks. I had to manually set the timing values
    > manually in BIOS. Before I did this Linux did not start and eCS didn't
    > run correctly. But hey, WinXP showed no sign of a problem.
    >
    > Mike

    I've been wondering about this as higher speed DDR2 has become very
    cheap recently. For example Fry's is selling 1 GiB DDR2 sticks at $39
    with a Twenty dollar mail-in rebate. But they are PC 5200. My machine
    is rated at PC2700. Wonder if they'll work?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  9. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Michael Greene wrote:
    >> Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
    >>> nobody@junk.min.net schrieb:
    >>>
    >>>> On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    >>>> trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    >>>> have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    >>>> replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    >>>> jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    >>>> friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?
    >>> Here is an ABit KX7-333 which works with 1 GB (2x 512 PC2700) and eCS
    >>> 1.2R very well.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards,
    >>> Herwig

    >> I just had a strange problem with RAM the last couple days. I have a
    >> dual 2.8 Xeon ZPro that had 4 256Meg DDR 2100 sticks. I was dropping in
    >> 4 512Meg PNY DDR 3200 sticks. I had to manually set the timing values
    >> manually in BIOS. Before I did this Linux did not start and eCS didn't
    >> run correctly. But hey, WinXP showed no sign of a problem.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > I've been wondering about this as higher speed DDR2 has become very
    > cheap recently. For example Fry's is selling 1 GiB DDR2 sticks at $39
    > with a Twenty dollar mail-in rebate. But they are PC 5200. My machine
    > is rated at PC2700. Wonder if they'll work?


    You mean they have PC5300? Also, I think PC2100,PC2700, and PC3200 are
    DDR1 and compatible.

    Additionally, to update my previous post. The problem I was having was
    due to one of the sticks going bad. I took it back and the replacement
    works fine. So, this ZPro 6221 was originally made to use DDR1 PC2100
    (the IBM sticks were ECC), but I am now running with 4 512meg DDR1
    PC3200 DIMMs.

    MikeG

  10. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    In <9wOPdM0dmwFkdclNigK4bPscYV8Z2@trevor2.dsl.pipex.co m>, on 11/17/07
    at 07:21 PM, "Trevor Hemsley"
    said:

    >> Amous doesn't handle the four buttons of my trackball, and I need to be
    >> able to program the upper two.


    >Odd, it lists configuration options here for up to 10 buttons.


    I'll take another look. Thanks.



    Alan

    --

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

    BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------


  11. Re: ATI 9200 graphics card

    In <474015e7$0$2253$91cee783@newsreader01.highway.tele kom.at>, on 11/18/07

    at 11:37 AM, Herwig Bauernfeind
    said:

    >> On a totally unrelated note, having nothing to do with any OS, I have been
    >> trying to increase the RAM on my Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I currently
    >> have 512 Meg of PC2700 RAM (two 256M sticks.) I've tried to add to it, or
    >> replace it with larger sticks, but the computer wouldn't start. It's a
    >> jumperless motherboard, so there shouldn't have been any jumpers for my
    >> friend to set (we did look, and checked the manual.) Any ideas on this?


    >Here is an ABit KX7-333 which works with 1 GB (2x 512 PC2700) and eCS
    >1.2R very well.


    I called Crucial. The rep told me a 1 Gig stick should work with my two
    256M sticks, and if it doesn't, no problem returning it for refund. So, I
    ordered a stick. Hopefully, it will work.


    Alan

    --

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

    BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------


+ Reply to Thread