Mouse problems with BootableCD... - OS2

This is a discussion on Mouse problems with BootableCD... - OS2 ; Hi All Using Bootable 453(and previously 452) I created a very basic BootableCD with WPS (Desktop) support. The BootableCD works to boot to a Desktop but has a mouse problem. The mouse cursor is visible onscreen and moves fine with ...

  1. Mouse problems with BootableCD...

    Hi All

    Using Bootable 453(and previously 452) I created a very basic BootableCD
    with WPS (Desktop) support.

    The BootableCD works to boot to a Desktop but has a mouse problem.

    The mouse cursor is visible onscreen and moves fine with the mouse
    (trackball) movement

    The mouse cursor changes to reflect what it is hovering over eg:-

    when over text in an editor, such as when compsing this, the cursor
    becomes a text cursor "I" but you cannot use this cursor to select where
    to enter text

    when the cursor is over an edge of a window it changes to the "resize"
    arrows "<- ->" but you cannot click and resize the window

    Basically the cursor is visible onscreen and moves as it should changing
    to different pointer displays when it should *But* clicking on either
    button achieves nothing: RMB on the Desktop does *Not* bring up a menu,
    LMB does not select anything or start an application.

    The question is what is missing here? - There seems to be a lack of
    communication between the system and the Desktop with regard to the mouse.

    The booted BootableCD Desktop -> System -> System Setup -> Mouse setup
    object informs me "Driver not properly installed".

    I have seen this problem with an earlier version of Bootable but the
    problem "went away" when I re-installed that version of Bootable. I have
    tried that with this version but No Joy; the problem remains.

    As I am using the Amouse 2.80 package I though maybe reverting to the
    standard IBM drivers would rectify this but was proved wrong: a
    BootableCD created with standard mouse drivers installed has exactly the
    same problem.

    Any ideas on rectifying this?

    Pete

  2. Re: Mouse problems with BootableCD...

    Sir:

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Using Bootable 453(and previously 452) I created a very basic BootableCD
    > with WPS (Desktop) support.
    >
    > The BootableCD works to boot to a Desktop but has a mouse problem.
    >
    > The mouse cursor is visible onscreen and moves fine with the mouse
    > (trackball) movement
    >
    > The mouse cursor changes to reflect what it is hovering over eg:-
    >
    > when over text in an editor, such as when compsing this, the cursor
    > becomes a text cursor "I" but you cannot use this cursor to select where
    > to enter text
    >
    > when the cursor is over an edge of a window it changes to the "resize"
    > arrows "<- ->" but you cannot click and resize the window
    >

    > Basically the cursor is visible onscreen and moves as it should changing
    > to different pointer displays when it should *But* clicking on either
    > button achieves nothing: RMB on the Desktop does *Not* bring up a menu,
    > LMB does not select anything or start an application.
    >
    > The question is what is missing here? - There seems to be a lack of
    > communication between the system and the Desktop with regard to the mouse.
    >

    > The booted BootableCD Desktop -> System -> System Setup -> Mouse setup
    > object informs me "Driver not properly installed".
    >
    > I have seen this problem with an earlier version of Bootable but the
    > problem "went away" when I re-installed that version of Bootable. I have
    > tried that with this version but No Joy; the problem remains.
    >
    > As I am using the Amouse 2.80 package I though maybe reverting to the
    > standard IBM drivers would rectify this but was proved wrong: a
    > BootableCD created with standard mouse drivers installed has exactly the
    > same problem.
    >
    > Any ideas on rectifying this?
    >
    > Pete

    Open \OS2\dll and look for the existence of these dlls: wpconfig.dll,
    wpconmri.dll, and wpstkmou.dll. Run bldlevel on each. 14.62 is the
    working bldlevel here on all three. These are not the latest builds of
    these, as I found problems with the latest on my machine like you're having.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Mouse problems with BootableCD...

    Sir:

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Using Bootable 453(and previously 452) I created a very basic BootableCD
    > with WPS (Desktop) support.
    >
    > The BootableCD works to boot to a Desktop but has a mouse problem.
    >
    > The mouse cursor is visible onscreen and moves fine with the mouse
    > (trackball) movement
    >
    > The mouse cursor changes to reflect what it is hovering over eg:-
    >
    > when over text in an editor, such as when compsing this, the cursor
    > becomes a text cursor "I" but you cannot use this cursor to select where
    > to enter text
    >
    > when the cursor is over an edge of a window it changes to the "resize"
    > arrows "<- ->" but you cannot click and resize the window
    >

    > Basically the cursor is visible onscreen and moves as it should changing
    > to different pointer displays when it should *But* clicking on either
    > button achieves nothing: RMB on the Desktop does *Not* bring up a menu,
    > LMB does not select anything or start an application.
    >
    > The question is what is missing here? - There seems to be a lack of
    > communication between the system and the Desktop with regard to the mouse.
    >

    > The booted BootableCD Desktop -> System -> System Setup -> Mouse setup
    > object informs me "Driver not properly installed".
    >
    > I have seen this problem with an earlier version of Bootable but the
    > problem "went away" when I re-installed that version of Bootable. I have
    > tried that with this version but No Joy; the problem remains.
    >
    > As I am using the Amouse 2.80 package I though maybe reverting to the
    > standard IBM drivers would rectify this but was proved wrong: a
    > BootableCD created with standard mouse drivers installed has exactly the
    > same problem.
    >
    > Any ideas on rectifying this?
    >
    > Pete

    Open \OS2\dll and look for the existence of these dlls: wpconfig.dll,
    wpconmri.dll, and wpstkmou.dll. Run bldlevel on each. 14.62 is the
    working bldlevel here on all three. These are not the latest builds of
    these, as I found problems with the latest on my machine like you're having.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Mouse problems with BootableCD...

    Hi Bill

    ----- snip -----

    >> Any ideas on rectifying this?
    >>
    >> Pete

    > Open \OS2\dll and look for the existence of these dlls: wpconfig.dll,
    > wpconmri.dll, and wpstkmou.dll. Run bldlevel on each. 14.62 is the
    > working bldlevel here on all three. These are not the latest builds of
    > these, as I found problems with the latest on my machine like you're having.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    The problem is a little more easily sorted though: Bootable is using the
    usbmouse.sys file loaded in the current config.sys file.

    I have Amouse installed so instead of the IBM usbmouse.sys it is copying
    the AMouse version of usbmouse.sys to the CD image.

    That is easily sorted by setting the USBMOUSEFILE entry in bootable.cfg
    to point to the required file ie:-

    USBMOUSEFILE='H:\os2\boot\USBMouse.sys'

    However, your thoughts on the above dll files remind me that at some
    point after performing updates to an eCS1.1 system it was no longer
    possible to create new User Desktops with working mouse using MultiDesk
    - something, somewhere in a mouse related update "broke" compatibility.

    Might be worth backleveling those files just to see if MultiDesk new
    User Desktops will get a working mouse.

    Thanks

    Pete

  5. Re: Mouse problems with BootableCD...

    Hi Bill

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> Using Bootable 453(and previously 452) I created a very basic BootableCD
    >> with WPS (Desktop) support.
    >>
    >> The BootableCD works to boot to a Desktop but has a mouse problem.

    ----- snip -----

    >> Any ideas on rectifying this?
    >>
    >> Pete

    > Open \OS2\dll and look for the existence of these dlls: wpconfig.dll,
    > wpconmri.dll, and wpstkmou.dll. Run bldlevel on each. 14.62 is the
    > working bldlevel here on all three. These are not the latest builds of
    > these, as I found problems with the latest on my machine like you're having.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    The problem is a little more easily sorted though: Bootable is using the
    usbmouse.sys file loaded in the current config.sys file.

    I have Amouse installed so instead of the IBM usbmouse.sys it is copying
    the AMouse version of usbmouse.sys to the CD image.

    That is easily sorted by setting the USBMOUSEFILE entry in bootable.cfg
    to point to the required file ie:-

    USBMOUSEFILE='H:\os2\boot\USBMouse.sys'

    However, your thoughts on the above dll files remind me that at some
    point after performing updates to an eCS1.1 system it was no longer
    possible to create new User Desktops with working mouse using MultiDesk
    - something, somewhere in a mouse related update "broke" compatibility.

    Might be worth backleveling those files just to see if MultiDesk new
    User Desktops will get a working mouse.

    Thanks

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread