Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work - OS2 ; Normally I wouldn't make a second response until I recieved something else from my previous posting, but I will make an exception in this case. I have managed to make a successful stunnel connection here. It would appear I was ...

  1. Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work

    Normally I wouldn't make a second response until I recieved something else
    from my previous posting, but I will make an exception in this case. I
    have managed to make a successful stunnel connection here.

    It would appear I was making an unwarranted assumption that ZOC's SSH
    device would be able to negotiate an SSL connection with the stunnel
    server. That appears not to be the case. I configured and started a
    stunnel client on the system originating the calls and then I used ZOC's
    telnet device to connect to the local port for stunnel. This opened an
    SSL connection to the stunnel server and connected to the VMODEM pool as
    it was intended to! So my goal was accomplished, but required an
    additional instance of stunnel.

    Perhaps I am missing something and ZOC's SSH device can negotiate SSL with
    the stunnel server if configured properly. I will contact ZOC's support
    to inquire about this, as it would make things a bit simpler if a loopback
    to a local stunnel could be eliminated from this setup.

    Thanks for the pointer to the erroneous assumption.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  2. Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work

    Hi Dave,

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:51:30 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:
    > it was intended to! So my goal was accomplished, but required an
    > additional instance of stunnel.

    This is the intended way for stunnel to work - it needs to run on both
    ends of the connection................

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  3. Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work

    In , on 11/12/2007
    at 08:59 AM, "Paul Smedley" said:

    >On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:51:30 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> it was intended to! So my goal was accomplished, but required an
    >> additional instance of stunnel.

    >This is the intended way for stunnel to work - it needs to run on both
    >ends of the connection................

    There is at least one case where it doesn't need to run on both ends, when
    the server end supports https itself. I tried this by setting a client up
    wrapping http and connecting to the https port of my router as a test.
    This worked fine.

    I tested this as assuming I can run this over a telnet proxy I intend to
    contact my router support and see if I can use their router as a stunnel
    server. As I showed above it works in the limited https case and thus
    should be extensible to other cases.

    I was checking this out in part because the server that I would want to
    run stunnel for OS/2 on is a Warp Server Advanced installation and is
    running the 4.02y stack. This is old enough that I am unsure if a stunnel
    server will run on it. I could run stunnel on another system as I am now
    for testing, but I was hoping to simplify things and keep only those
    systems required online.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  4. Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work

    Hi Dave,

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:25:47 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > In , on 11/12/2007
    > at 08:59 AM, "Paul Smedley" said:
    >
    > >On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:51:30 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > I was checking this out in part because the server that I would want to
    > run stunnel for OS/2 on is a Warp Server Advanced installation and is
    > running the 4.02y stack. This is old enough that I am unsure if a stunnel
    > server will run on it. I could run stunnel on another system as I am now
    > for testing, but I was hoping to simplify things and keep only those
    > systems required online.

    IIRC the current stunnel binary is built for TCPIP 4.1 or greater - it
    would most likely not be too much trouble to do a build for the TCPIP
    4.0 stack..... If this would be useful - let me know and I'll free up
    some time to try a build.

    --
    Cheers,

    Paul.

  5. Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work

    In , on 11/13/2007
    at 09:24 AM, "Paul Smedley" said:

    >On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:25:47 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >> In , on 11/12/2007
    >> at 08:59 AM, "Paul Smedley" said:
    >>
    >> >On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:51:30 UTC, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >> I was checking this out in part because the server that I would want to
    >> run stunnel for OS/2 on is a Warp Server Advanced installation and is
    >> running the 4.02y stack. This is old enough that I am unsure if a stunnel
    >> server will run on it. I could run stunnel on another system as I am now
    >> for testing, but I was hoping to simplify things and keep only those
    >> systems required online.

    >IIRC the current stunnel binary is built for TCPIP 4.1 or greater - it
    >would most likely not be too much trouble to do a build for the TCPIP
    >4.0 stack..... If this would be useful - let me know and I'll free up
    >some time to try a build.

    Thank you for the offer. There is still a bit of testing to be done so I
    will not ask you to schedule any time at this point. As noted in my
    the stunnel server function for this. I have worked with them in the past
    in resolving problems and found them helpful and I suspect they would see
    this as a useful enhancement to their package if it is not currently
    supported. I would only need a build for the 4.02y stack if the router
    can't do the job.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  6. Re: Getting stunnel 4.20 for OS/2 to work

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:25:47 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > I was checking this out in part because the server that I would want to
    > run stunnel for OS/2 on is a Warp Server Advanced installation and is
    > running the 4.02y stack.

    I'm pretty sure that the 32 bit MPTS stack is certified for use on WSA, at least
    on WSA-SMP. You can probably install WR08620 on it.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

+ Reply to Thread