iPhone - Big Day For Europe! - OS2

This is a discussion on iPhone - Big Day For Europe! - OS2 ; Apple releases the iPhone today in jolly old England and British citizens have been queuing up before Apple stores and O2 phone stores! Germany's T-Mobile (the authorized service provider) has been so overwhelmed with new subscribers their network has gone ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Apple releases the iPhone today in jolly old England and British
    citizens have been queuing up before Apple stores and O2 phone
    stores! Germany's T-Mobile (the authorized service provider) has been
    so overwhelmed with new subscribers their network has gone down. It
    will be a mad house throughout Europe today as people scramble to grab
    their piece of the popular iPhone. And to all of this a late night
    firmware update by Apple (v1.1.2) which blocks hackers and turns
    unauthorized iPhones into "bricks" which is sure to bring the howls of
    anger from the 12-year old hackers.

    The iPhone is the best gadget to come along since the transistor
    radio. It is a hand-held computer, cell phone, music, mini-TV and
    movie player and personal minder all in one. It is beautiful to
    behold and it works as advertised.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com

  2. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    On Nov 9, 5:55 am, The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Apple releases the iPhone today in jolly old England and British
    > citizens have been queuing up before Apple stores and O2 phone
    > stores! Germany's T-Mobile (the authorized service provider) has been
    > so overwhelmed with new subscribers their network has gone down. It
    > will be a mad house throughout Europe today as people scramble to grab
    > their piece of the popular iPhone. And to all of this a late night
    > firmware update by Apple (v1.1.2) which blocks hackers and turns
    > unauthorized iPhones into "bricks" which is sure to bring the howls of
    > anger from the 12-year old hackers.
    >
    > The iPhone is the best gadget to come along since the transistor
    > radio. It is a hand-held computer, cell phone, music, mini-TV and
    > movie player and personal minder all in one. It is beautiful to
    > behold and it works as advertised.
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Todayhttp://www.os2guy.com

    You gotta see this! Too funny! The opening doors of Apple to the
    sale of the iPhone in England today! Will there be lines like this
    for eComStation v2.0?

    Here it is: http://www.os2guy.com

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Todayhttp://www.os2guy.com

  3. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    On Nov 9, 5:55 am, The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Apple releases the iPhone today in jolly old England and British
    > citizens have been queuing up before Apple stores and O2 phone
    > stores! Germany's T-Mobile (the authorized service provider) has been
    > so overwhelmed with new subscribers their network has gone down. It
    > will be a mad house throughout Europe today as people scramble to grab
    > their piece of the popular iPhone. And to all of this a late night
    > firmware update by Apple (v1.1.2) which blocks hackers and turns
    > unauthorized iPhones into "bricks" which is sure to bring the howls of
    > anger from the 12-year old hackers.
    >
    > The iPhone is the best gadget to come along since the transistor
    > radio. It is a hand-held computer, cell phone, music, mini-TV and
    > movie player and personal minder all in one. It is beautiful to
    > behold and it works as advertised.
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Todayhttp://www.os2guy.com

    You gotta see this! Too funny! The opening doors of Apple to the
    sale of the iPhone in England today! Will there be lines like this
    for eComStation v2.0?

    Here it is: http://www.os2guy.com

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Todayhttp://www.os2guy.com

  4. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

  5. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

  6. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    On Nov 9, 8:57 pm, "dinkmeister" wrote:
    > http://dink.org/unique.jpg

    I forgot Dink, you don't have the capability to view YouTube videos.
    You probably don't even know what YouTube is! LOL!

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Todayhttp://www.os2guy.com

  7. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    On Nov 9, 8:57 pm, "dinkmeister" wrote:
    > http://dink.org/unique.jpg

    I forgot Dink, you don't have the capability to view YouTube videos.
    You probably don't even know what YouTube is! LOL!

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Todayhttp://www.os2guy.com

  8. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Apple releases the iPhone today in jolly old England and British
    > citizens have been queuing up before Apple stores and O2 phone
    > stores!

    Living in "jolly old England" I have had the chance to doublecheck this.

    I walked around the town shopping area at lunchtime - and there were
    hundreds of people queuing near phone stores.

    What a shame the people were queuing for the fast food outlets next door
    to the phone shops ;-)

    No doubt there will be some sales of this gadget but it does not look
    like mass hysteria has arrived here for the iphone.

    A bit of advice: You really are getting over-excited about Apple's
    overpriced gadgets and should increase your medication - at least double
    it - until this bout of excitement passes ;-)

    Pete

    Germany's T-Mobile (the authorized service provider) has been
    > so overwhelmed with new subscribers their network has gone down. It
    > will be a mad house throughout Europe today as people scramble to grab
    > their piece of the popular iPhone. And to all of this a late night
    > firmware update by Apple (v1.1.2) which blocks hackers and turns
    > unauthorized iPhones into "bricks" which is sure to bring the howls of
    > anger from the 12-year old hackers.
    >
    > The iPhone is the best gadget to come along since the transistor
    > radio. It is a hand-held computer, cell phone, music, mini-TV and
    > movie player and personal minder all in one. It is beautiful to
    > behold and it works as advertised.
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  9. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Apple releases the iPhone today in jolly old England and British
    > citizens have been queuing up before Apple stores and O2 phone
    > stores!

    Living in "jolly old England" I have had the chance to doublecheck this.

    I walked around the town shopping area at lunchtime - and there were
    hundreds of people queuing near phone stores.

    What a shame the people were queuing for the fast food outlets next door
    to the phone shops ;-)

    No doubt there will be some sales of this gadget but it does not look
    like mass hysteria has arrived here for the iphone.

    A bit of advice: You really are getting over-excited about Apple's
    overpriced gadgets and should increase your medication - at least double
    it - until this bout of excitement passes ;-)

    Pete

    Germany's T-Mobile (the authorized service provider) has been
    > so overwhelmed with new subscribers their network has gone down. It
    > will be a mad house throughout Europe today as people scramble to grab
    > their piece of the popular iPhone. And to all of this a late night
    > firmware update by Apple (v1.1.2) which blocks hackers and turns
    > unauthorized iPhones into "bricks" which is sure to bring the howls of
    > anger from the 12-year old hackers.
    >
    > The iPhone is the best gadget to come along since the transistor
    > radio. It is a hand-held computer, cell phone, music, mini-TV and
    > movie player and personal minder all in one. It is beautiful to
    > behold and it works as advertised.
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  10. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Petey,

    Thanks for the advice but your attempt to downplay the excitement is
    silly. My own blog has video of hundreds of people standing in line
    for the iPhone for blocks and blocks and no one would stand in line
    for a bunny burger in London! LOL! Whaddya think, they staged the
    video? (http://www.os2guy.com - go ahead, watch!) And the British are
    willing to pay nearly double what we American's pay for the same
    service! Go Britain! Mass hysteria? No but sucessful iPhone
    launch? Absolutely.

    And then there's Germany. T-Mobile has publicly apologized to more
    than 10,000 iPhone customers because their Edge network has gone down
    repeatedly because of all the new customers!

    I'm not at all over excited, I'm thrilled because I'm an Apple stock
    holder and my Apple stock just keeps rising and rising!

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com

  11. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

[...]

  12. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Hi Petey,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice but your attempt to downplay the excitement is
    > silly. My own blog has video of hundreds of people standing in line
    > for the iPhone for blocks and blocks and no one would stand in line
    > for a bunny burger in London! LOL! Whaddya think, they staged the
    > video? (http://www.os2guy.com - go ahead, watch!) And the British are
    > willing to pay nearly double what we American's pay for the same
    > service! Go Britain! Mass hysteria? No but sucessful iPhone
    > launch? Absolutely.

    Well, I could do a video of people Not standing in line at phone shops...

    Oh! Your video is of "Londoners" is it?

    As London is mainly full of people from anywhere but England I think you
    will find it is mainly non-Britishers you have on video - unless your
    video is of the ghetto areas?

    Well, whatever.

    Must say that I'm not creaming myself over the iphone - no use for it
    myself.

    Even my apple using friends do not seem over-interested; only 1 has
    suggested that maybe when the price drops in 3 months or so, they will
    consider a purchase.

    Regards

    Pete

    > And then there's Germany. T-Mobile has publicly apologized to more
    > than 10,000 iPhone customers because their Edge network has gone down
    > repeatedly because of all the new customers!
    >
    > I'm not at all over excited, I'm thrilled because I'm an Apple stock
    > holder and my Apple stock just keeps rising and rising!
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  13. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Hi Petey,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice but your attempt to downplay the excitement is
    > silly. My own blog has video of hundreds of people standing in line
    > for the iPhone for blocks and blocks and no one would stand in line
    > for a bunny burger in London! LOL! Whaddya think, they staged the
    > video? (http://www.os2guy.com - go ahead, watch!) And the British are
    > willing to pay nearly double what we American's pay for the same
    > service! Go Britain! Mass hysteria? No but sucessful iPhone
    > launch? Absolutely.

    Well, I could do a video of people Not standing in line at phone shops...

    Oh! Your video is of "Londoners" is it?

    As London is mainly full of people from anywhere but England I think you
    will find it is mainly non-Britishers you have on video - unless your
    video is of the ghetto areas?

    Well, whatever.

    Must say that I'm not creaming myself over the iphone - no use for it
    myself.

    Even my apple using friends do not seem over-interested; only 1 has
    suggested that maybe when the price drops in 3 months or so, they will
    consider a purchase.

    Regards

    Pete

    > And then there's Germany. T-Mobile has publicly apologized to more
    > than 10,000 iPhone customers because their Edge network has gone down
    > repeatedly because of all the new customers!
    >
    > I'm not at all over excited, I'm thrilled because I'm an Apple stock
    > holder and my Apple stock just keeps rising and rising!
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  14. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    On Nov 11, 6:14 am, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > ... Go Britain! Mass hysteria ...

    Fanboi Larry, read the news from 'Merry Ole England'

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/11/iphone_uk_flop/

    I pity you !!

    For the other pple:

    http://tmfaq.servehttp.com

    K. Melland
    Norway

  15. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    On Nov 11, 6:14 am, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > ... Go Britain! Mass hysteria ...

    Fanboi Larry, read the news from 'Merry Ole England'

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/11/iphone_uk_flop/

    I pity you !!

    For the other pple:

    http://tmfaq.servehttp.com

    K. Melland
    Norway

  16. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Hi Petey,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice but your attempt to downplay the excitement is
    > silly. My own blog has video of hundreds of people standing in line
    > for the iPhone for blocks and blocks and no one would stand in line
    > for a bunny burger in London! LOL! Whaddya think, they staged the
    > video?

    Looks like that could be the case. Read this:-

    "The UK iPhone launch had generated acres of newsprint, with papers
    outdoing each to signify the importance of the "event". But rarely have
    the media elites shown that they don't have a clue what they're doing.

    Nick also posits the subversive idea that the "queue" that formed
    outside Apple's flagship shop on London's Regent Street may be synthetic."

    You will find the above at
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...lop/page2.html

    (http://www.os2guy.com - go ahead, watch!) And the British are
    > willing to pay nearly double what we American's pay for the same
    > service! Go Britain! Mass hysteria? No but sucessful iPhone
    > launch? Absolutely.

    This looks like a set of reasons for the lack of interest in the product
    (from the above link):-

    "As to why, I'm sure everyone knows, but here's a recap as to why it's
    not the saviour of the UK's mobile industry;

    1. We're used to either paying for the phone, or the contract, but
    not both;

    2. We're used to accessing mobile internet on 3G, which was rolled
    out wider and earlier here than across the USA;

    3. There have been several competing devices launched recently,
    which appeal to a range of demographics; for example, techies will like
    the N95 while fashion victims will like the Prada wotsit;

    4. It's quite chunky as phones go - which might sound pernickerty
    but the market here is very much geared towards fashionable, neat phones
    (for example, no manufacturer would dare launch a phone with an aerial
    here within the last few years as they look so dated, while I hear
    they're still available in the US)."

    Guess we are just a little more picky about what we waste our cash on in
    the UK :-)

    Pete

    > And then there's Germany. T-Mobile has publicly apologized to more
    > than 10,000 iPhone customers because their Edge network has gone down
    > repeatedly because of all the new customers!
    >
    > I'm not at all over excited, I'm thrilled because I'm an Apple stock
    > holder and my Apple stock just keeps rising and rising!
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  17. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Hi Petey,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice but your attempt to downplay the excitement is
    > silly. My own blog has video of hundreds of people standing in line
    > for the iPhone for blocks and blocks and no one would stand in line
    > for a bunny burger in London! LOL! Whaddya think, they staged the
    > video?

    Looks like that could be the case. Read this:-

    "The UK iPhone launch had generated acres of newsprint, with papers
    outdoing each to signify the importance of the "event". But rarely have
    the media elites shown that they don't have a clue what they're doing.

    Nick also posits the subversive idea that the "queue" that formed
    outside Apple's flagship shop on London's Regent Street may be synthetic."

    You will find the above at
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...lop/page2.html

    (http://www.os2guy.com - go ahead, watch!) And the British are
    > willing to pay nearly double what we American's pay for the same
    > service! Go Britain! Mass hysteria? No but sucessful iPhone
    > launch? Absolutely.

    This looks like a set of reasons for the lack of interest in the product
    (from the above link):-

    "As to why, I'm sure everyone knows, but here's a recap as to why it's
    not the saviour of the UK's mobile industry;

    1. We're used to either paying for the phone, or the contract, but
    not both;

    2. We're used to accessing mobile internet on 3G, which was rolled
    out wider and earlier here than across the USA;

    3. There have been several competing devices launched recently,
    which appeal to a range of demographics; for example, techies will like
    the N95 while fashion victims will like the Prada wotsit;

    4. It's quite chunky as phones go - which might sound pernickerty
    but the market here is very much geared towards fashionable, neat phones
    (for example, no manufacturer would dare launch a phone with an aerial
    here within the last few years as they look so dated, while I hear
    they're still available in the US)."

    Guess we are just a little more picky about what we waste our cash on in
    the UK :-)

    Pete

    > And then there's Germany. T-Mobile has publicly apologized to more
    > than 10,000 iPhone customers because their Edge network has gone down
    > repeatedly because of all the new customers!
    >
    > I'm not at all over excited, I'm thrilled because I'm an Apple stock
    > holder and my Apple stock just keeps rising and rising!
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  18. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Hi Petey,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice but your attempt to downplay the excitement is
    > silly. My own blog has video of hundreds of people standing in line
    > for the iPhone for blocks and blocks and no one would stand in line
    > for a bunny burger in London! LOL! Whaddya think, they staged the
    > video? (http://www.os2guy.com - go ahead, watch!) And the British are
    > willing to pay nearly double what we American's pay for the same
    > service! Go Britain! Mass hysteria? No but sucessful iPhone
    > launch? Absolutely.

    If successful means nobody is interested then you are right.

    Have a look at the queues forming in London in this report

    http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=750

    I like the image of the O2 salesman waiting at the door to pounce on
    unsuspecting passersby ;-)

    Pete

    > And then there's Germany. T-Mobile has publicly apologized to more
    > than 10,000 iPhone customers because their Edge network has gone down
    > repeatedly because of all the new customers!
    >
    > I'm not at all over excited, I'm thrilled because I'm an Apple stock
    > holder and my Apple stock just keeps rising and rising!
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  19. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Hi Petey,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice but your attempt to downplay the excitement is
    > silly. My own blog has video of hundreds of people standing in line
    > for the iPhone for blocks and blocks and no one would stand in line
    > for a bunny burger in London! LOL! Whaddya think, they staged the
    > video? (http://www.os2guy.com - go ahead, watch!) And the British are
    > willing to pay nearly double what we American's pay for the same
    > service! Go Britain! Mass hysteria? No but sucessful iPhone
    > launch? Absolutely.

    If successful means nobody is interested then you are right.

    Have a look at the queues forming in London in this report

    http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=750

    I like the image of the O2 salesman waiting at the door to pounce on
    unsuspecting passersby ;-)

    Pete

    > And then there's Germany. T-Mobile has publicly apologized to more
    > than 10,000 iPhone customers because their Edge network has gone down
    > repeatedly because of all the new customers!
    >
    > I'm not at all over excited, I'm thrilled because I'm an Apple stock
    > holder and my Apple stock just keeps rising and rising!
    >
    > Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    > http://www.os2guy.com

  20. Re: iPhone - Big Day For Europe!

    On Nov 11, 8:31 am, Peter Brown
    wrote:
    Hi Petey,

    Nice try but it was pretty much the same here in the U.S. in front of
    the AT&T stores back on June 29th when the iPhone was introduced.
    People go to the company that makes the iPhone, Apple, and they stand
    in line there. Would YOU stand in front a "warehouse"? (Well, you
    probably would.) AT&T stores had about 10 iPhones in stock because
    they didn't think it would sell. Apple sold a quarter of a million
    iPhones on the American Launch date and AT&T was overwhelmed with the
    number of new customers.

    For some reason you refuse to look at the video of all those six to
    seven blocks of people standing in line, laughing, chatting, having
    fun waiting for the 6pm Apple doors to open so they could buy the
    iPhone. That's ok and understandable coming from a guy still using a
    dead operating system with not future. In your mind it was staged,
    faked, not real.

    Best of luck to you!

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today