Win2k is hording os/2 server logons - OS2

This is a discussion on Win2k is hording os/2 server logons - OS2 ; Hello, Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon ...

  1. Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    Hello,
    Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  2. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:23:13 UTC, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    > that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    > losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.

    Somebody posted this, some time ago.

    In windows:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanworkstation
    \parameters
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
    4. Type EnableDownLevelLogOff, and then press ENTER.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    6. Type 1, and then click OK.

    Might help.

    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  3. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On 11/08/07 12:22 pm, Doug Bissett wrote:
    >> Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    >> that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    >> losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.

    > Somebody posted this, some time ago.
    >
    > In windows:
    > 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    > 2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanworkstation
    > \parameters
    > 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
    > 4. Type EnableDownLevelLogOff, and then press ENTER.
    > 5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    > 6. Type 1, and then click OK.

    No, those changes have not made any difference. (It takes 2 - 3 weeks to
    use up all of the connections.)
    Is there any way to see how many connections are in use? And who is
    connected?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  4. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:31:50 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > Is there any way to see how many connections are in use? And who is
    > connected?

    net session
    net files

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On 11/28/07 04:18 pm, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> Is there any way to see how many connections are in use? And who is
    >> connected?

    > net session
    > net files

    All available connections are once again used up. Neither "net session"
    nor "net files" shows anything unusual; in fact, the displayed number of
    connections is rather low.
    Apparently neither sessions nor files are the connections Windows and
    os/2 are whining about.

    "No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time
    because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept."

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  6. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On 11/08/07 10:23 am, Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    > that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    > losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.

    So I guess no one knows what is going with win2k/xp and os/2 server
    (v4.5 fp3)?
    Or even how to determine what connections are in use?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  7. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:53:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > On 11/08/07 10:23 am, Jim Moe wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    > > that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    > > losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.
    > >

    > So I guess no one knows what is going with win2k/xp and os/2 server
    > (v4.5 fp3)?
    > Or even how to determine what connections are in use?

    Does netstat -s show anything?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  8. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    wrote:

    > On 11/08/07 10:23 am, Jim Moe wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    > > that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    > > losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.
    > >

    > So I guess no one knows what is going with win2k/xp and os/2 server
    > (v4.5 fp3)?
    > Or even how to determine what connections are in use?

    You could also try looking at the output from 'net status', 'net statistics
    server', 'net statistics req', 'net error'

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  9. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On 11/08/07 10:23 am, Jim Moe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    > that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    > losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.

    It would seem that winXP hordes the connections only while an account is
    active. We had the usual problem of requests being rejected again; by
    logging off the winXP account, those connections were freed so that other
    computers could access the server.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  10. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > On 11/08/07 10:23 am, Jim Moe wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> Our os/2 server eventually runs out of logons because of a win2k bug
    >> that does not release them when it shuts down. I have the fix for win2k
    >> losing its connection, but have lost how to fix the logon loss.
    >>

    > It would seem that winXP hordes the connections only while an account is
    > active. We had the usual problem of requests being rejected again; by
    > logging off the winXP account, those connections were freed so that other
    > computers could access the server.

    W2K was the original source of this problem and one of their Service Packs
    fixed it. Basically, Win keeps requesting connections w/o releasing prior
    ones. If you do a google search you can probably find a couple of writeups
    that walk through changing a registry setting to change the behavior. I
    remember going through the drill early on with W2K and it worked. The
    change is to one value - but darned if I can remember what or how I changed
    it. I think that the same thing was happening with Linux SMB as well, so
    that may be another avenue to the Win change instructions.

    FWIW, I have one machine running ACP2 (Warp Server) 24/7 with usually 4
    other machines connected: 1 W2K, 1 OS/2, 1 XP, and 1 Linux. I have
    problems with SMB keeping up with changes, but the rest of the system gives
    me no grief.

    --
    Will Honea

  11. Re: Win2k is hording os/2 server logons

    On 12/06/07 01:57 pm, Will Honea wrote:

    >> It would seem that winXP hordes the connections only while an account is
    >> active. We had the usual problem of requests being rejected again; by
    >> logging off the winXP account, those connections were freed so that other
    >> computers could access the server.

    > W2K was the original source of this problem and one of their Service Packs
    > fixed it. Basically, Win keeps requesting connections w/o releasing prior
    > ones. If you do a google search you can probably find a couple of writeups

    Yes, that was suggested and I made the changes to all of the win2k and
    winxp systems. Win2k is at sp4, winxp at sp2. No joy except as noted.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

+ Reply to Thread