SNAP gamode: getting above the limit? - OS2

This is a discussion on SNAP gamode: getting above the limit? - OS2 ; I'm trying to convince my SNAP (v2) to set resolution to 1920x1200 (as the monitor requires). Unfortunately, it looks like gamode refuses to set vSize to anything above 1800... It can set 1800x1200, but since the monitor thinks it is ...

  1. SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    I'm trying to convince my SNAP (v2) to set resolution to 1920x1200 (as
    the monitor requires). Unfortunately, it looks like gamode refuses to
    set vSize to anything above 1800... It can set 1800x1200, but since
    the monitor thinks it is 1600x1200, the result is extremely ugly.

    Graphics.log lists only modes up to 1800xXXXX - but all the modes are
    for 4:3 displays (which is not surprising, since the card - ati
    rage128 - is made in 2000). The clock in the card is good enough for
    1920x1200x60Hz, but won't be good enough for 1920x1440x60Hz, which is
    a 4:3 resolution. so the limitation looks like an oversight, rather
    than a technical limitation.

    Is there a way to convince gamode to "try harder"? Or, maybe, I need
    SNAP v3?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  2. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:31:00 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > Is there a way to convince gamode to "try harder"? Or, maybe, I need
    > SNAP v3?

    Maybe it depends on the monitor you have selected?

    [H:\snap]gamode add 1920 1200 32
    Mode 1920 x 1200 x 32 successfully added.

    But mine is V3

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    Trevor Hemsley
    ], who wrote in article :
    > On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:31:00 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Ilya Zakharevich
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to convince gamode to "try harder"? Or, maybe, I need
    > > SNAP v3?

    > Maybe it depends on the monitor you have selected?
    >
    > [H:\snap]gamode add 1920 1200 32
    > Mode 1920 x 1200 x 32 successfully added.

    The new monitor is detected as

    Max Resolution. 1920x1440
    Max HScan...... 80 KHz
    Max VScan...... 75 Hz
    Features....... DPMS

    the old one

    Max Resolution. 2048x1536
    Max HScan...... 117 KHz
    Max VScan...... 180 Hz
    Features....... DPMS GTF

    (from graphics.log). Do not think it is related to the monitor
    detection (although I need to manually check "16:9 resolutions" on the
    second page of the System configuration-tool; the monitor itself is 16:10).

    The card is

    Memory............... 32768 Kb
    DAC.................. ATI Internal 24 bit DAC
    Clock................ ATI Internal Clock
    Memory Clock......... 140 Mhz
    Default Memory Clock. 140 Mhz
    Maximum Memory Clock. 0 Mhz

    > But mine is V3

    What resolutions are listed in x:\OS2\DRIVERS\snap\config\graphics.log?
    Hmm, since you could add 1920 x 1200, it is already got there (or
    would on the next reboot...).

    Thanks,
    Ilya

    P.S. I see that 1920x1440 is 4:3; maybe I need an .inf file?...

  4. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:36:32 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > What resolutions are listed in x:\OS2\DRIVERS\snap\config\graphics.log?

    Too many to list but it includes all the widescreen ones despite

    Monitor configuration:
    Manufacturer... Philips Consumer Electronics
    Model.......... Philips 201B (201B1)
    Max Resolution. 2048x1536
    Max HScan...... 107 KHz
    Max VScan...... 160 Hz
    Features....... DPMS

    But 'gamode show' from a command prompt did not show 1920x1200 until after I
    opened the system display icon and set the 'Wide Resolutions' flag on and closed
    the system properties dialog again.

    My card is an ATI Radeon X300SE PCiE 128MB.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    Trevor Hemsley
    ], who wrote in article :
    > > What resolutions are listed in x:\OS2\DRIVERS\snap\config\graphics.log?

    > Too many to list but it includes all the widescreen ones despite
    >
    > Monitor configuration:
    > Manufacturer... Philips Consumer Electronics
    > Model.......... Philips 201B (201B1)
    > Max Resolution. 2048x1536
    > Max HScan...... 107 KHz
    > Max VScan...... 160 Hz
    > Features....... DPMS
    >
    > But 'gamode show' from a command prompt did not show 1920x1200 until after I
    > opened the system display icon and set the 'Wide Resolutions' flag on and closed
    > the system properties dialog again.
    >
    > My card is an ATI Radeon X300SE PCiE 128MB.

    It must be much newer than mine. With

    Clock................ ATI Internal Clock
    Memory Clock......... 140 Mhz

    one maxes very early. Maximal resolution listed was 1800x1350, and
    1800*1350*60=145800000 is actually beyond the documented capability of
    the card. And 1920*1440*60=165888000, so if one does not know about
    existence of non-4:3 modes, to support 1920xXXXX one would think they
    need 166MHz.

    And I expect that 166MHz is well below the capability of your card,
    right?

    Thanks,
    Ilya

    P.S. For best results, a very cheap digital-output card handling
    1920x1200x60Hz, supported by SNAP v2 (preferably with overlays)
    and XFree86 would be the best solution. Are there any?

  6. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    In , Ilya Zakharevich writes:

    >I'm trying to convince my SNAP (v2) to set resolution to 1920x1200 (as
    >the monitor requires). Unfortunately, it looks like gamode refuses to
    >set vSize to anything above 1800... It can set 1800x1200, but since
    >the monitor thinks it is 1600x1200, the result is extremely ugly.
    >
    >Graphics.log lists only modes up to 1800xXXXX - but all the modes are
    >for 4:3 displays (which is not surprising, since the card - ati
    >rage128 - is made in 2000). The clock in the card is good enough for
    >1920x1200x60Hz, but won't be good enough for 1920x1440x60Hz, which is
    >a 4:3 resolution. so the limitation looks like an oversight, rather
    >than a technical limitation.
    >
    >Is there a way to convince gamode to "try harder"? Or, maybe, I need
    >SNAP v3?

    Try:- System Properties icon, Screen tab, Advanced button, Interactive Tests
    menu option.

    When sharing one screen between two computers, each with Snap 2.1.6 build 411, I
    found that one display chip would accept a higher resolution than the other.

  7. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    ], who wrote in article :
    > >Is there a way to convince gamode to "try harder"? Or, maybe, I need
    > >SNAP v3?

    > Try:- System Properties icon, Screen tab, Advanced button, Interactive Tests
    > menu option.

    Was there. Do you mean entering "32, custom, 1920, 1200, 60" there,
    or something else? (This is what I tried without any success...)

    > When sharing one screen between two computers, each with Snap 2.1.6
    > build 411, I found that one display chip would accept a higher
    > resolution than the other.

    How else could it be, if their capabilities are different? Note that
    MY problem is that the resolution LOOKS like it is within the limits
    of the card's clock/memory, but still is not available...

    Thanks,
    Ilya

  8. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 05:44:03 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:

    > And I expect that 166MHz is well below the capability of your card,
    > right?

    Mine is a rock bottom PciE video card and has a 200MHz clock. Not sure if
    support for this is in SNAP V2.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  9. Re: SNAP gamode: getting above the limit?

    Ilya Zakharevich
    ], who wrote in article :

    > P.S. For best results, a very cheap digital-output card handling
    > 1920x1200x60Hz, supported by SNAP v2 (preferably with overlays)
    > and XFree86 would be the best solution. Are there any?

    Oups, forgot to say that the motherboard is ALSO ;-) of 2000 vintage,
    and has an AGP/PCI slots only.

    Yours,
    Ilya

+ Reply to Thread